Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Nautically-Themed Adventures of Anchor Man and Buoy Boy

DMACDMAC Super Moderator, Moderator mod
edited August 2009 in Graphic Violence
Anchor Man and The Unsinkable Buoy Boy!

This started out as an entry for the Silver Age heroes contest but then, of course, I ran out of time before the deadline. I finished up the drawing today and thought I could turn it into a sort of mini-contest.

Whoever writes the best origin story for Anchor Man and Buoy Boy will win the original 9" x 12" inked artwork.

Who are they? What made them turn to crime-fighting? Why the nautical theme?

Let's try to keep these brief, say 3-4 paragraphs. The deadline will be next Monday, August 17.

am_and_bb.jpg

DMAC on

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The PIT, level 26Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How come nobody's talked about how awesome this is yet?

This is so awesome.

I couldn't even begin to imagine a plot that would do that pic justice. Rich parents shot at sea? Acrobat parents killed by the mob at sea? Someone do something, and make it good.

edit - on second thought, no one else do anything. That way my 'totally original' origin story will win and I'll get the sweet, sweet lineart.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    dangit DMAC

push the deadline back a little bit and I can do this

(also glad you didn't do it in time or I wouldn't be totally winning the contest right now!)

• DMACDMAC Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    I was starting to think this was a terrible idea.

I wasn't sure about the deadline. If I bump it back to Monday, giving people the weekend, is that better? I just didn't want this to drag on too long.

edited August 2009
    I would normally be able to do it this week, but I am working on a script for my project and you know

and if you made the deadline monday by 5 PM I'd promise you an entry

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm I will think of stuff. Might enter even.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love the art, but like Yak, I don't know if I could come up with something that would do the illustration justice. I'll be brainstorming though.

edited August 2009
    edited August 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    I love the art, but like Yak, I don't know if I could come up with something that would do the illustration justice. I'll be brainstorming though.

Yeah, it's supposed to be fun and Silver Age so don't overthink it. Who are they? Why do they fight crime? Do they have any powers? Just something short and entertaining.

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Naval outfits and domino masks - officially awesome.

• CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brilliant DMAC, my hat's off to you.

As for an origin story, I have three words for you…
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I dunno, I see this picture and I imagine a Giant Octopus attacking a coastal city, throwing cars and shooting lasers from its eyes, while an evil looking merman with a trident stands atop its head, beckoning it on towards more destruction. Anchor Man is on the scene, twirling his anchor like a lasso, while Buoy Boy is wrestling with a tentacle that he's already snared with his life saver.

I'll think some more about the origin when I have the chance.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited August 2009
    Just a reminder that Monday is the new deadline. This weekend would be a good time to take 15 minutes and type up a couple of paragraphs.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ok, here we go, The Origin of Anchor Man and Buoy Boy!
    Spoiler:

Ok that was longer than I thought it would be. It's not unfinished, it's a cliffhanger!

• ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay, so the setting's the 1940s in a fictional seaport city in Northern Europe (I'm talkin' Holland or Norway or some shit). Organized crime is rampant, and the city has a feel of a 1920s-era gangster-laden Chicago.

New to the city, sea-faring adventurer and general do-gooder, Hans Heyerdahl is walking back to his humble hotel room when he stumbles across a group of damn near a dozen dudes givin this kid a real hard time, see? He knew the type, those seedy motherfuckers always hangin' around the docks, and knew they were clearly up to no good. So he's all "what's the dillio?" when one of the scruffy-faced sumbitches is all "Scram, jack. Ain't yo' bid'ness."

So Hans does what any ruggedly handsome, kind-at-heart, buff-ass mama's boy would do, and he and the kid have a rompin' good time, back-to-back, beating the ever-living dogshit out of the nautical ne'er do wells in a brawl full of so many POWs and BIFFs that it'd put Adam West to shame. Defeated and humiliated, the dudes flee leaving Hans and his newfound little buddy relieved and quite proud of themselves, when sirens are a-blazin and a handful of coppers show up.

The kid cutout lickity-split at the sound of the sirens, but Hans thought nothing of it as most street urchins want to avoid the 5-0 for good reason, so he starts givin' the cops the low-down with hopes that they can catch up to some of the injured hoodlums that had fled the scene. Obviously not interested in his story, the po-pos start playing out a tune on his head with some leather slapjacks, pop a pair of cuffs on him and arrest him for disturbing the peace.

On the way down to the station, the kid jumps from an alley and like a real cheeky-monkey, drops his pants to give the cops a shot of the full moon accompanied by some raspberries sound effects. Taking advantage of the distraction, Hans busts out of his cuffs, gives the fuzz a run for the money, and he and the kid split to temporary safety.

"What's your name, kid?"
    "They call me Floats."
    "What kind of name is that for a kid?"
    "The guys down at the dock, they like to have a good time and toss me in the water. Don't bother me none, really"
    "That's a shame, kid. What's the story with those guys anyway?"
    "They're part of a gang, work for the boss. He runs the whole city, even the cops, that's why I ran earlier. They make a lot of money shipping things, y'know, things they aren't supposed to. They got my Ma, says she works for 'em, but I know she don't. She even said she don't like 'em the last time I saw her. I guess they got tired of me askin' 'bout her, so that's why they jumped me earlier."
    "Well, shit, kid. Me and you, we're gonna get your Ma back, and bring some peace to this town when we do it."

So, the two don domino masks for anonymity, and dress like sailors to keep from looking out of place down at the docks, the heart of the city's organized crime, where they kick ass and take names on an A-Team-style save-the-city-from-bullies adventure.

edit:
    Spoiler:
    DMAC:
    Spoiler:

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Cap's Kooky Quartet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like the idea that Anchor Man and Buoy Boy were both short-lived pulp identities for Beast and Boy Blue (from FABLES, of course).

2qt8f2t.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The PIT, level 26Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    @ CoJoe - Apparently, great(?) minds think alike, since I had included just such an element to my origin story. And here it is:
    Spoiler:

edited August 2009
    I would normally be able to do it this week, but I am working on a script for my project and you know

edited August 2009
    So here's my ideas for an origin story for Anchor Man and the Unsinkable Buoy Boy

I imagine an old one-eyed, peg-legged sailor sitting on a sea barrel recounting this story to a bunch of kids outside of a dive bar by the ocean, so I put it into pirate-speak. Heck, he could act as an narrator for the adventures of Anchor Man and the Unsinkable Buoy Boy.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    edited August 2009
    DMAC wrote: »

I got drunk and forgot to do it

sue me

edited August 2009
    edited August 2009
    edited August 2009
    Honestly, if you can't trust the word of someone you kind of know on the Internet, who can you trust?

All right, I'm calling this officially CLOSED.

I'll try to sit down and read these and either make the call myself or open it up for a vote.

edited August 2009
    your trust in humanity has been shattered

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was going to do this, but my idea was kind of lame. The broad strokes of it involved the hero being tied to an anchor and tossed in the ocean by the mob, or maybe pirates, sinking to the ocean floor next to rusted, leaking barrels of toxic chemical waste, ingesting tainted water during his death throes, and gaining super strength and the ability to breathe underwater. Kind of a Spirit homage. Buoy Boy would be the last survivor of a pirate attack on his family's boat, found bobbing in the water clutching a piece of debris by the Anchor, a few years into his career. Kind of a Robin homage there.

I'm terribly partial to literal superhero names.

edited August 2009
    I had a vague idea that Anchor Man and Buoy Boy have sort of opposite powers. Anchor Man instantly sinks whenever he gets in the water and Buoy Boy can't be submerged but if they hold onto each other, they can both swim.

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had a vague idea that Anchor Man and Buoy Boy have sort of opposite powers. Anchor Man instantly sinks whenever he gets in the water and Buoy Boy can't be submerged but if they hold onto each other, they can both swim.

This sounds vaguely sexual. Even worse than some of that Silver Age Batman and Robin stuff. :P

do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited August 2009
    If by gay you mean fun, then yes, they're super gay.

• RingoRingo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When I tried to come up with an origin, it started in a gay bar, so I decided to give up on it.

Your art deserves better, DMAC!

ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
    edited August 2009

When I read that, my first thought was of Ace & Gary, the Ambiguously Gay Duo.

Spoiler:
    edited August 2009
    All right. I finally read through these this morning and they all made me laugh but I think I'm going to give it to CoJoeTheLawyer, even though I'm pretty sure pirates can say "V"s.

If you want to PM me your mailing address, I'll get the artwork sent out.

This was fun. I might do it again at some point. I've also been debating offering to draw the winner of one of the regular character contests...

edited August 2009
    edited August 2009
    edited August 2009
    but I won the first contest

the best contest

gimme some drawings

edited August 2009
    plus the character is canadian just like you!

do it for your canuck pride

edited August 2009
    I'm a winner?!?

I"M A WINNER!!!

Wooooooooooooooooooooo...Victory Lap!

Spoiler: