As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pine nuts and allergy to tree nuts.

LucidLucid Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've been wanting to eat pesto recently, however when I looked at the ingredients it lists pine nuts. I am allergic to tree nuts, but not peanuts(legume). I've tried googling this, but there seems to be conflicing statements. Apparently they're a seed. I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about this? I am planning to see if my doctor can refer me to some kind of allergy specific practioner, though I thought I'd stop by here and see if anyone knows anything.

Lucid on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, aren't all tree nuts a form of seed?

You could always make it yourself and substitute something else. People often substitute walnuts (which obviously doesn't help you) but there might be something else that would work. Worst-case, just don't use nuts. All they do is add texture, it won't be horrible without them.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Agreed. Herbs and oil are the only required components of a pesto. You can change the herbs, and optionally add things like nuts/seeds, garlic, cheese, etc depending on what you're going to use it for. Make your own pesto, and leave out the nuts, or use something that you know is a seed. Maybe sunflower seeds and basil?

edit-
    Wikipedia says it's a nut-like gymnosperm seed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_edible_seeds

But don't, like, eat them and die based on that.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pine nuts aren't a "true nut", so you may or may not be sensitive to them. The only way to be sure is to talk to an allergist.

Fats on
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I cant say this 100% for you, but a friend of mine is allergic to peanuts, and she is allergic to pine nuts as well. So maybe they'll be OK for you?

I agree that making pesto without the pine nuts wouldn't really hurt it at all. So it might just be better safe than sorry.

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    cubelovercubelover Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I cant say this 100% for you, but a friend of mine is allergic to peanuts, and she is allergic to pine nuts as well. So maybe they'll be OK for you?

And to show just how idiosyncratic allergies are: I'm not allergic to peanuts (or many other nuts) but the oil from a single pine nut can send me into anaphylactic shock (yeah, an epi-pen has saved my life twice).

cubelover on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The expanding media is a system pacifying and distracting consumers from the oppressive drudgery of their lives" - Digital Play
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe add another type of hard cheese, or soy nuts?

Peanuts would prob. be good too - get unsalted and toast them. Hate to see someone miss out on something as awesome as basil pesto.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Carry Epi-Pen
    Eat Pesto
    ???
    Profit

Edit:
    Don't do this, if you really want to know, go get a scratch test.

rfalias on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    what about pistachios, they make good pesto

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    Pine nuts aren't a "true nut"

'cism

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd say you're going on the right path by clearing it with your doctor. I have a pretty severe allergy and wouldn't go fucking around with things that might trigger said allergy without an A-OK from a medical professional.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Cashews a tree nut?

Cause they make a good pesto too.

Sheep on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pine nuts are the edible seeds of pines

I would definitely check with a doctor first because Pine Nuts are essentially a nut-ish food directly from a tree :)

Aridhol on