Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Politics] Julia Hall: Obama's Possibly Planted Question and Reactions

24567

Posts

  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I never got angry at Bush for taking steps to make sure that nobody at his town halls/rallies would ever ask him what it felt like to mastermind 9/11, nor do I take issue with Obama for making sure nobody ever asks him, "DudewhowasborninKenyasayswhat?"

    The thing that irritated me about Bush was the fact that he outright banned people of the opposing ideology from his rallies and generally avoided answering tough questions. Obama and the Democrats, meanwhile, don't seem to be stacking the decks entirely with registered Democrats, nor are they fielding questions on healthcare exclusively from people who already support it. Rather, they recognize that it's a complex issue and are taking steps to educate the public about it by answering the questions they have, albeit from questioners who can ask without descending into lunacy, like the people who go to townhalls to tell people they're going to hell.

    Don't forget the Free Speech Zones! Found on the corner of Hypocrisy Lane and Oxymoron Avenue.

    metroid_sig.jpg
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Didn't your media get all pissy because Obama's team told a HuffPuff journalist the night beforehand that she/he'd be called upon to ask a specific question that Obama would know in advance? Or is that not what happened? I don't follow these stories much.

    Politico got pissy that a competing website was called on by the President and baselessly insinuated that they'd coordinated questions beforehand. They hadn't.

    I'm pretty sure it was some really old female reporter complaining about it at a press conference.

  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Because planting questions, at press conferences or townhalls, is dishonest. The sported venue is that of open debate, either between elected officials and the press, or elected officials and the public.

    If you don't want that, fine, but don't say that you that.

    I didn't like the planted HuffPo question much, though I understand how the administration wanted it to be asked. These events all have limited time, and once you start slotting planted questions, why stop with just a few?
    I always thought that the point of town halls was to directly address the public, not to just let the public have at you with whatever they have to ask, regardless of whether or not it's nonsense. That's not debate, but rather a recipe for chaos. Fuck, if I had been at a town hall meeting with GWB and could ask whatever I wanted, I would have asked if he missed cocaine.

    I do agree that planting questions at press conferences is bullshit, though, but I would also draw a distinction between calling on someone when you know what they're going to ask and putting your own journalist in the pool to ask a question with no substance. If the president is at a press conference and feels there's a question that especially merits answering, there's no reason he should have to cross his fingers and hope someone asks it, simply because that preserves the image of spontaneity.

    Still, it's a slippery slope, and one hopes Obama doesn't eventually take on Bush's own policy of controlling his environment to the point of stifling dissent and inquisition rather than simply addressing it.

  • ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    But I really hate this debating what Bush did vs. what Obama did, when there is no goddamn proof that this was a plant.

    Without any proof, arguing this is stupid and basically conceding the point that Obama did some shady shit when there is no evidence that he did.

    Google, motherfucker

    What year are you from? It's all right there.

  • VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    But I really hate this debating what Bush did vs. what Obama did, when there is no goddamn proof that this was a plant.

    Without any proof, arguing this is stupid and basically conceding the point that Obama did some shady shit when there is no evidence that he did.

    Google, motherfucker

    What year are you from? It's all right there.

    That lead me to this thread which lead me to this post which led me to google again which led me oh god

    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    by tomorrow that post will be especially ironic

    gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    stand up! It was the smallest on the list but
    pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, I have a new sig out of this thread.

    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Didn't your media get all pissy because Obama's team told a HuffPuff journalist the night beforehand that she/he'd be called upon to ask a specific question that Obama would know in advance? Or is that not what happened? I don't follow these stories much.

    Politico got pissy that a competing website was called on by the President and baselessly insinuated that they'd coordinated questions beforehand. They hadn't.

    I'm pretty sure it was some really old female reporter complaining about it at a press conference.

    The old media was just pissed off that the new media asked a real question, while the best they could come up with was "So....uh....how 'bout that weather?"

    metroid_sig.jpg
  • VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, I have a new sig out of this thread.

    You popped my sig cherry. I am so happy

    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As an aside, I looked up that huffington post thing and - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/23/AR2009062303262.html
    In his first daytime news conference yesterday, President Obama preempted "All My Children," "Days of Our Lives" and "The Young and the Restless." But the soap viewers shouldn't have been disappointed: The president had arranged some prepackaged entertainment for them.

    After the obligatory first question from the Associated Press, Obama treated the overflowing White House briefing room to a surprise. "I know Nico Pitney is here from the Huffington Post," he announced.

    Obama knew this because White House aides had called Pitney the day before to invite him, and they had escorted him into the room. They told him the president was likely to call on him, with the understanding that he would ask a question about Iran that had been submitted online by an Iranian. "I know that there may actually be questions from people in Iran who are communicating through the Internet," Obama went on. "Do you have a question?"

    Pitney recognized his prompt. "That's right," he said, standing in the aisle and wearing a temporary White House press pass. "I wanted to use this opportunity to ask you a question directly from an Iranian."

    Pitney asked his arranged question. Reporters looked at one another in amazement at the stagecraft they were witnessing. White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel grinned at the surprised TV correspondents in the first row.

    So it's not just politico whining about it.

    And that old female reporter I mentioned was Helen Thomas, apparently, who said that even Nixon didn't do that, or something *shrug*.

  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    But I really hate this debating what Bush did vs. what Obama did, when there is no goddamn proof that this was a plant.

    Without any proof, arguing this is stupid and basically conceding the point that Obama did some shady shit when there is no evidence that he did.

    Google, motherfucker

    What year are you from? It's all right there.

    I can't believe anyone would fault Obama for coordinating on answering a question from Iranians via Nico Pitney in the middle of an Iranian Revolution. It wasn't a planted question, he just arranged to have the guy doing the best reporting on the Iran crisis to ask A question, is my understanding. Dana Milbank can choke on a cock, that self-entitled little shit.

    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    But I really hate this debating what Bush did vs. what Obama did, when there is no goddamn proof that this was a plant.

    Without any proof, arguing this is stupid and basically conceding the point that Obama did some shady shit when there is no evidence that he did.

    Google, motherfucker

    What year are you from? It's all right there.

    I can't believe anyone would fault Obama for coordinating on answering a question from Iranians via Nico Pitney in the middle of an Iranian Revolution. It wasn't a planted question, he just arranged to have the guy doing the best reporting on the Iran crisis to ask A question, is my understanding. Dana Milbank can choke on a cock, that self-entitled little shit.

    That's not just Dana Milbank, although he is one of the worst, it's the entire old media. They just can't wrap their entitled little heads around the fact that while they're too busy trying to find out why Obama is a socialist and what Britney Spears is fucking now, the internet media is doing their actual jobs

    metroid_sig.jpg
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

    That's not just Dana Milbank, although he is one of the worst, it's the entire old media. They just can't wrap their entitled little heads around the fact that while they're too busy trying to find out why Obama is a socialist and what Britney Spears is fucking now, the internet media is doing their actual jobs

    Testify.

    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Frankly, whenever any kid gets to ask the president a question in public, it's going to be a total softball. Changing the kid or the kids' parents isn't going to change that fact, unless we're talking about parents who specifically train their child to ask something hard or critical, which a kid would never be able to do on their own.

  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does the American media have some kind of special yankee-only area where they fawn over the Republican Party and attack Obama all day long? Apart from Fox, I never saw CNN, MSNBC, CBS reports about how Obama was a socialist and shit like that. And jesus christ do you really think these people want to cover Britney Spears and Paris Hilton? If you're angry about that kind of thing complain to the millions of viewers the news media cover that stuff for.

  • VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Does the American media have some kind of special yankee-only area where they fawn over the Republican Party and attack Obama all day long? Apart from Fox, I never saw CNN, MSNBC, CBS reports about how Obama was a socialist and shit like that. And jesus christ do you really think these people want to cover Britney Spears and Paris Hilton? If you're angry about that kind of thing complain to the millions of viewers the news media cover that stuff for.

    Fox will go in total attack mode when Democrats are in a position of power. The remarkable thing about Fox is that they have a clear message from their morning segment on that is pushed all day. The other news networks really don't have clear talking points that are pushed in this way. Thier problem seems to be that if Fox (or any outlet really) pushes a story hard enough they think they have to cover it. This was seen with the birther nonsense. Fox and right wing radio/blogs mentioned it loudly enough that the other networks felt they had to give the story air time. It was presented as the "Birther Controversy". Even though the non FOX MSM denounced it they still gave birthers air time to spout their nonsense. The biggest problem I have with the MSM is that they will take an issue like the birther bullshit and bring two opposing viewpoints on to a program as if the debate had equal sides. CNN is most guilty of this. They try to be so centrist at times that it carries over into things where they are neglecting their journalistic duty by not slapping it down.

    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Veitsev wrote: »
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Does the American media have some kind of special yankee-only area where they fawn over the Republican Party and attack Obama all day long? Apart from Fox, I never saw CNN, MSNBC, CBS reports about how Obama was a socialist and shit like that. And jesus christ do you really think these people want to cover Britney Spears and Paris Hilton? If you're angry about that kind of thing complain to the millions of viewers the news media cover that stuff for.

    Fox will go in total attack mode when Democrats are in a position of power. The remarkable thing about Fox is that they have a clear message from their morning segment on that is pushed all day. The other news networks really don't have clear talking points that are pushed in this way. Thier problem seems to be that if Fox (or any outlet really) pushes a story hard enough they think they have to cover it. This was seen with the birther nonsense. Fox and right wing radio/blogs mentioned it loudly enough that the other networks felt they had to give the story air time. It was presented as the "Birther Controversy". Even though the non FOX MSM denounced it they still gave birthers air time to spout their nonsense. The biggest problem I have with the MSM is that they will take an issue like the birther bullshit and bring two opposing viewpoints on to a program as if the debate had equal sides. CNN is most guilty of this. They try to be so centrist at times that it carries over into things where they are neglecting their journalistic duty by not slapping it down.


    Realistically, the false equivalency approach to coverage is the lesser of all evils, in my opinion. Like you say CNN etc. were running those kind of stories because they were big, but also pointing out the lack of evidence. I only know FOX's "hard" coverage (i.e. not glenn beck etc.) from breezing past their website (I need to get the the video player to watch Redeye) which seemed to be "we're totally not pushing this or anything and the actual article will criticize it but we're going to run it front-page with a vague title anyway". MSNBC I only know from their opinion shows, which with the exception of Scarborough were covering the story even more than FOX, probably - from what I saw at the time - because they don't seem very friendly to republicans and like running anything that makes them look bad.

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We're the second result on Google for this.

    The first is the HuffPost/Politico pissing match from a month ago.

    MEDIA FIRESTORM

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    We're the second result on Google for this.

    The first is the HuffPost/Politico pissing match from a month ago.

    MEDIA FIRESTORM

    So does that make the Penny Arcade forums...part of the american media? :winky:

  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    We're the second result on Google for this.

    The first is the HuffPost/Politico pissing match from a month ago.

    MEDIA FIRESTORM

    So does that make the Penny Arcade forums...part of the american media? :winky:
    depends, are we going to be paid by the post?

    tmsig.jpg
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    Ed321 wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    We're the second result on Google for this.

    The first is the HuffPost/Politico pissing match from a month ago.

    MEDIA FIRESTORM

    So does that make the Penny Arcade forums...part of the american media? :winky:
    depends, are we going to be paid by the post?

    cat you can be dana milbank.

    I shall be Helen Thomas.

    Speaking of which, I was going to browse the WaPo site to see if they had any stories related to this other than the one I posted.

    But it keeps asking me to register :(

    This is why I never read NYT online either.

  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just read the Boston Globe article in the OP and I don't understand why the girl is a plant. The article said the girl wrote her own question, and there was nothing that said she had been artificially singled out to ask it.

    So . . .

    What?

    I mean, the daughter of someone who donated to the Obama campaign and did work for them being at an Obama event . . . it's not exactly a meteor striking earth on the probability scale. It would be like if Thanatos went to an event with his niece and she was called on.

    This whole thread seems like a mistake?

    Being walkers with the dawn and morning,
    Walkers with the sun and morning, we are not afraid of night,
    Nor days of gloom, nor darkness -
    Being walkers with the sun and morning.
  • gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    Here's my question: What do we make of this?

    I know that if W had answered a planted question at a town hall I would have been irritated, I would have written an angry blog post about it or bitched about it on the forums. But when Obama employs a similar strategy I am fine with it. Health Care is an important issue; to ensure that Obama can communicate the necessary facts perhaps he needs to employ planted questions.

    You pretty much nailed it there. The same criticism you used against Bush for the past eight years is coming back to bite you in the ass. The fact that you use double standards shows how hypocritical and weak you truly are.

    big l wrote: »
    $5 says gigEsmalls never responds to this excellent post.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    Here's my question: What do we make of this?

    I know that if W had answered a planted question at a town hall I would have been irritated, I would have written an angry blog post about it or bitched about it on the forums. But when Obama employs a similar strategy I am fine with it. Health Care is an important issue; to ensure that Obama can communicate the necessary facts perhaps he needs to employ planted questions.

    You pretty much nailed it there. The same criticism you used against Bush for the past eight years is coming back to bite you in the ass. The fact that you use double standards shows how hypocritical and weak you truly are.

    Except that there's no proof that Obama is doing this, so lay off.

    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    But I really hate this debating what Bush did vs. what Obama did, when there is no goddamn proof that this was a plant.

    Without any proof, arguing this is stupid and basically conceding the point that Obama did some shady shit when there is no evidence that he did.

    Google, motherfucker

    What year are you from? It's all right here.

    Ed321 wrote: »
    Does the American media have some kind of special yankee-only area where they fawn over the Republican Party and attack Obama all day long? Apart from Fox, I never saw CNN, MSNBC, CBS reports about how Obama was a socialist and shit like that. And jesus christ do you really think these people want to cover Britney Spears and Paris Hilton? If you're angry about that kind of thing complain to the millions of viewers the news media cover that stuff for.
    ORLY? (see what I did there?)

    11793-1.png
    Spoiler:
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    Here's my question: What do we make of this?

    I know that if W had answered a planted question at a town hall I would have been irritated, I would have written an angry blog post about it or bitched about it on the forums. But when Obama employs a similar strategy I am fine with it. Health Care is an important issue; to ensure that Obama can communicate the necessary facts perhaps he needs to employ planted questions.

    You pretty much nailed it there. The same criticism you used against Bush for the past eight years is coming back to bite you in the ass. The fact that you use double standards shows how hypocritical and weak you truly are.

    Loyalty oaths and free speech zones aren't the same thing as letting a cute little girl ask a question, except to people who are insane. Are you insane?

  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    Here's my question: What do we make of this?

    I know that if W had answered a planted question at a town hall I would have been irritated, I would have written an angry blog post about it or bitched about it on the forums. But when Obama employs a similar strategy I am fine with it. Health Care is an important issue; to ensure that Obama can communicate the necessary facts perhaps he needs to employ planted questions.

    You pretty much nailed it there. The same criticism you used against Bush for the past eight years is coming back to bite you in the ass. The fact that you use double standards shows how hypocritical and weak you truly are.

    Loyalty oaths and free speech zones aren't the same thing as asking a cute little girl a question, except to people who are insane. Are you insane?

    After that post do you really need to ask?

    “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    But I really hate this debating what Bush did vs. what Obama did, when there is no goddamn proof that this was a plant.

    Without any proof, arguing this is stupid and basically conceding the point that Obama did some shady shit when there is no evidence that he did.

    Google, motherfucker

    What year are you from? It's all right here.

    Ed321 wrote: »
    Does the American media have some kind of special yankee-only area where they fawn over the Republican Party and attack Obama all day long? Apart from Fox, I never saw CNN, MSNBC, CBS reports about how Obama was a socialist and shit like that. And jesus christ do you really think these people want to cover Britney Spears and Paris Hilton? If you're angry about that kind of thing complain to the millions of viewers the news media cover that stuff for.
    ORLY? (see what I did there?)

    Wow one guy in an opinion segment. (?)

  • A steak!A steak! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    The problem is that a lot of birthers hitch their hat on Lou Dobbs, and claim the main-stream media wants to/is covering the story, so they must be relevant. Of course, it's really only Lou Dobbs at this point...

    Favorite quotes
    Spoiler:
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can someone who falls on the "Boo Obama BOO!" side of this draw me some straight lines between this kid and the whitehouse?

    Because I'm seeing a lot of the same curvy logic we get with the birth certificate/death panel stuff.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    I just read the Boston Globe article in the OP and I don't understand why the girl is a plant. The article said the girl wrote her own question, and there was nothing that said she had been artificially singled out to ask it.

    So . . .

    What?

    I mean, the daughter of someone who donated to the Obama campaign and did work for them being at an Obama event . . . it's not exactly a meteor striking earth on the probability scale. It would be like if Thanatos went to an event with his niece and she was called on.

    This whole thread seems like a mistake?

    You're a mistake.

  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Speaker wrote: »
    I just read the Boston Globe article in the OP and I don't understand why the girl is a plant. The article said the girl wrote her own question, and there was nothing that said she had been artificially singled out to ask it.

    So . . .

    What?

    I mean, the daughter of someone who donated to the Obama campaign and did work for them being at an Obama event . . . it's not exactly a meteor striking earth on the probability scale. It would be like if Thanatos went to an event with his niece and she was called on.

    This whole thread seems like a mistake?

    You're a mistake.
    Let's not turn this into a thread about sex ed. in public schools, please.

    "Despite all the bitching, if Diablo 3 sucks, I will eat my own cock. Counter-claim: If Diablo 3 does not suck, I will have a list of whiners who need to eat cocks." - Zen Vulgarity
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    Seems a little shady to use a planted question no matter who does it, even if it's a straightforward question from an adult. The way it was phrased and the fact that it was a kid makes it seem worse because there's an element of exploitation there (e.g. she's not old enough to be really informed about this stuff either way and is just being used by Obama and/or her mother). So yeah, it's a shitty thing to do when Obama does it, just like it would be were it a neocon pushing his agenda.
    Except this HAD to be asked. No one else had the balls, and the President didn't want to add legitimacy by just outright addressing it.

    Should he have used a plant? No. Is it as bad as Bush's plants of "Mister President, how come so many people hate America and don't want us to win in Iraq and stop terror forever?" Not at all.

    And I don't think this is a "plant" in the same sense of the word as that either. It sounds more like they asked this kid to ask a question and SHE chose "What the fuck is wrong with those psychos screaming at everyone?"

    shamanhealingwave.jpgabilitypaladinshieldofv.png
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I totally just got the ORLY - 'cause-he's-like-O'Reilly joke from the title of that youtube clip.

    I feel dumb now.

  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited August 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    Here's my question: What do we make of this?

    I know that if W had answered a planted question at a town hall I would have been irritated, I would have written an angry blog post about it or bitched about it on the forums. But when Obama employs a similar strategy I am fine with it. Health Care is an important issue; to ensure that Obama can communicate the necessary facts perhaps he needs to employ planted questions.

    You pretty much nailed it there. The same criticism you used against Bush for the past eight years is coming back to bite you in the ass. The fact that you use double standards shows how hypocritical and weak you truly are.

    This is not a zero-sum game though. If I do a rolling stop through a 4-way intersection, that does not make me exactly the same as somebody that blows past every single stop sign he comes across without so much as tapping the breaks.

    Edit: Plus the, you know, complete and total lack of evidence that this was even a plant in the first place.

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    As an aside, I looked up that huffington post thing and - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/23/AR2009062303262.html
    In his first daytime news conference yesterday, President Obama preempted "All My Children," "Days of Our Lives" and "The Young and the Restless." But the soap viewers shouldn't have been disappointed: The president had arranged some prepackaged entertainment for them.

    After the obligatory first question from the Associated Press, Obama treated the overflowing White House briefing room to a surprise. "I know Nico Pitney is here from the Huffington Post," he announced.

    Obama knew this because White House aides had called Pitney the day before to invite him, and they had escorted him into the room. They told him the president was likely to call on him, with the understanding that he would ask a question about Iran that had been submitted online by an Iranian. "I know that there may actually be questions from people in Iran who are communicating through the Internet," Obama went on. "Do you have a question?"

    Pitney recognized his prompt. "That's right," he said, standing in the aisle and wearing a temporary White House press pass. "I wanted to use this opportunity to ask you a question directly from an Iranian."

    Pitney asked his arranged question. Reporters looked at one another in amazement at the stagecraft they were witnessing. White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel grinned at the surprised TV correspondents in the first row.

    So it's not just politico whining about it.

    And that old female reporter I mentioned was Helen Thomas, apparently, who said that even Nixon didn't do that, or something *shrug*.
    Yeah, he kept it such a secret, too. I mean, look how well he concealed the fact that it was totally a setup. No one would have ever figured it out, if he hadn't slipped up and declared ahead of time "I know you're here, and I know you have a question from an Iranian."

  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    I totally just got the ORLY - 'cause-he's-like-O'Reilly joke from the title of that youtube clip.

    I feel dumb now.

    If it makes you feel better that's not the joke.

    But I'm not sure why that would make you feel better.
    edit

    By the way this entire thread is a decent example of the correct way to use the phrase "Begging the Question". "Obama's planting questions are just as dishonest and unethical as Bush's" or "Obama's planting questions are not just as dishonest and unethical as Bush's" are the options suggested by the OP. The fact that the questioner being a plant was not established and in fact seems incredibly unlikely to glossed over.

    11793-1.png
    Spoiler:
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Ed321 wrote: »
    I totally just got the ORLY - 'cause-he's-like-O'Reilly joke from the title of that youtube clip.

    I feel dumb now.

    If it makes you feel better that's not the joke.

    But I'm not sure why that would make you feel better.

    Look at the the post of mine you quoted again:
    Does the American media have some kind of special yankee-only area where they fawn over the Republican Party and attack Obama all day long? Apart from Fox, I never saw CNN, MSNBC, CBS reports about how Obama was a socialist and shit like that. And jesus christ do you really think these people want to cover Britney Spears and Paris Hilton? If you're angry about that kind of thing complain to the millions of viewers the news media cover that stuff for.

    Now look back at the two videos you've posted so far.

    How exactly does -

    A: A clip of a CNN opinion segment where the host pushes birtherism

    or

    B: A clip of a roundtable discussion about birtherism where birthers were invited

    do anything to dispute what I said?

  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Ed321 wrote: »
    I totally just got the ORLY - 'cause-he's-like-O'Reilly joke from the title of that youtube clip.

    I feel dumb now.

    If it makes you feel better that's not the joke.

    But I'm not sure why that would make you feel better.

    Look at the the post of mine you quoted again:
    Does the American media have some kind of special yankee-only area where they fawn over the Republican Party and attack Obama all day long? Apart from Fox, I never saw CNN, MSNBC, CBS reports about how Obama was a socialist and shit like that. And jesus christ do you really think these people want to cover Britney Spears and Paris Hilton? If you're angry about that kind of thing complain to the millions of viewers the news media cover that stuff for.

    Now look back at the two videos you've posted so far.

    How exactly does -

    A: A clip of a CNN opinion segment where the host pushes birtherism

    or

    B: A clip of a roundtable discussion about birtherism where birthers were invited

    do anything to dispute what I said?
    Apart from Fox, I never saw CNN, MSNBC, CBS reports about how Obama was a socialist and shit like that.

    11793-1.png
    Spoiler:
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Apart from Fox, I never saw CNN, MSNBC, CBS reports about how Obama was a socialist and shit like that.

    Do you understand the difference between hard news and opinion segments? You've failed to show any evidence that the networks mentioned are pushing these stories.

Sign In or Register to comment.