As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dark Tower (SPOILER WARNING)

• Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wow. Totally hot poop.

I wonder if they'll set a few things straight for the record.
    is flagg John Farson for example, there is no definitive answer afaik in the books

But yeah, i'll have to grab it when it's out in Aus.

And how can you not think that The Wastelands is the best in the series? I mean c'mon cliffhangers ftw! Esp how they had a "sneak peak" of the next book, which was just the ending for the third book which was in the start of the next book. Great stuff!

Speaking of which, i've just started re-reading The Wolves which is a nice little tale as well and I leant a friend The Gunslinger (Or "Nugslinger" as he calls it) expecting him to get hooked and finish the series. Alas, he STILL hasn't finished it cos he reads a word a night, or something.

And on a side side side side note: Got the Stand Dvd series, which is actually not that bad considering, and Flagg is wicked, only problem is everytime I watch Law And Order: Criminal Intent I think of (Stand spoiler)
    The bit with the lacky who kills the judge, hell cool, hell disturbing.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think that the first book was good story-wise but the writing itself wasn't the best (I find this is King's biggest problem with most of his books). Having said that I really think that Wolves of the Calla is one of my favorites of the series. It's sort of the book where you're forced to decide whether they've jumped the shark or not.

ie: Doctor Doom robots, lightsabers, and sneeches

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

To be fair, thats allways been a charecteristic of Kings writing, his stuff allways "Exists" within a world within our world, so there are quite a numerous amount of Pop Culture references in a heap of his books. Also, the whole "familiar thing gone twisted" is annother aspect of his writing which pops up quite often.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    is flagg John Farson for example, there is no definitive answer afaik in the books
    the foreword to Book V:
    "With the Tick-Tock dead, the real Wizard steps forward. It's Roland's ancient nemesis, Marten Broadcloak, known in some worlds as Randall Flagg, in others as Richard Fannin, in others as John Farson (the Good Man)."

Hensler on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Gunslinger was pretty cool, in my opinion. I finished Wizard and Glass a few months ago and cannot wait to read more!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

To be fair, thats allways been a charecteristic of Kings writing, his stuff allways "Exists" within a world within our world, so there are quite a numerous amount of Pop Culture references in a heap of his books. Also, the whole "familiar thing gone twisted" is annother aspect of his writing which pops up quite often.

Exactly... in many ways, it's no different from a comic book. I mean, Spider-Man lives in New York, but you'll never see him at a fucking deli.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    What's the official story on why this has been delayed for so long? I've been looking forward to it for quite a while now. Was it an art hang-up or did King not deliver on time or something else? What happened?

Hensler on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I love this book series. I actually like The Gunslinger more then the others, because it's real. That was Stephen King when he was a writer, not a celebrity. Now he can ramble on for six fucking pages about the color of a stain on the sidewalk and I'll still buy his books, the prick. Same thing with Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time series.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    What's the official story on why this has been delayed for so long? I've been looking forward to it for quite a while now. Was it an art hang-up or did King not deliver on time or something else? What happened?

King isn't writing it.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:

King isn't writing it.

Yeah, no shit, I read the thread. He's still doing the fucking plot and overall storyline, and he's been late with that stuff for other projects and his own books before, so that's could still be a reason for the delay, twat.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

King isn't writing it.

Yeah, no shit, I read the thread. He's still doing the fucking plot and overall storyline, and he's been late with that stuff for other projects and his own books before, so that's could still be a reason for the delay, twat.

I apologize for trying to help answer your question. :roll:

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This is out now, motherfuckers.

Geebs loves it and seeing how he and I are the only ones who liked the end of book seven, I trust him on this.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bloods End wrote:

Geebs loves it and seeing how he and I are the only ones who liked the end of book seven, I trust him on this.
    Uh oh.

Anyway, supposedly the Australian shipment is a tad late. I might have to wait a few more days for this.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Bloods End wrote:

I liked the end of book 7. It was the only satisfying way to end the series.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sentry wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:

I liked the end of book 7. It was the only satisfying way to end the series.

I didn't like it at the time, but it's grown on me.

I shall have to procur this when I go into the city tomorrow.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I work next door to a comic ship. Should I buy this if I am only starting book 5?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I work next door to a comic ship. Should I buy this if I am only starting book 5?

My understanding is that this first arc is simply a retelling of book 4, so you should be fine.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've never read a Dark Tower book, ever, but this comic intrigues me. Is this a bad jumping-on point?

BiggNife on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    BiggNife wrote:
    I've never read a Dark Tower book, ever, but this comic intrigues me. Is this a bad jumping-on point?

well, it's the first issue of a comic that tells the origin story of the hero of the dark tower series, so I think it's a great jumping on point. Oh, and read the books... they're amazing.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2007
    I think it does a very good job of getting new readers acquainted with the universe. It doesn't hurt that the art is fantastic.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Geebs wrote:
    I think it does a very good job of getting new readers acquainted with the universe. It doesn't hurt that the art is fantastic.

It really gets the point across that Roland is a complete badass, and yet, his dad is an even bigger badass.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Geebs wrote:

It really gets the point across that Roland is a complete badass, and yet, his dad is an even bigger badass.

"YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN THE FACE OF YOUR FATHER"!!!

Bloods End on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This thread would have been better if the OP had just said "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" in the post.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Crayon wrote:
    This thread would have been better if the OP had just said "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" in the post.

I think you're right.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I never read the books - but after reading the comic I am inclined to check it out. Seems very cool

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I thought the art and dialogue were awesome. The narrative, was so-so. There were some good lines no doubt, but it was hard to read it and get a good flow going. I know it was going for a bit more of a colloquial touch, but those "kennit"s were really bothering me. Although, I did keep picturing the voice of the guy who narrarated Big Lebowski, and that movie kicked ass.

All in all, it was an alright read, and I'll keep reading them if only for the wonderful artwork.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nogs wrote:
    I thought the art and dialogue were awesome. The narrative, was so-so. There were some good lines no doubt, but it was hard to read it and get a good flow going. I know it was going for a bit more of a colloquial touch, but those "kennit"s were really bothering me. Although, I did keep picturing the voice of the guy who narrarated Big Lebowski, and that movie kicked ass.

All in all, it was an alright read, and I'll keep reading them if only for the wonderful artwork.

I totally did the same thing, Sam Elliot just has perfect voice for narrating something like this.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Could someone explain to me what exactly is this series about? I read it and got confused as hell.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just finished reading this. Man, the art is fucking impressive. The Lee/Isanove duo kicks all kinds of ass on this book. The story was pretty damn good too. I've never read the books, but this series will probably change all that.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Could someone explain to me what exactly is this series about? I read it and got confused as hell.

So far, it's an origin story of Roland Deschain of Gilead, basically the most badass motherfucker to ever live.

In Gilead, some technology exists(such as guns and some other things like gasoline generators, oil derricks, and lights), most of which was presumably left behind from some ancient civilization, long forgotten. Some children in Gilead may work towards becoming Gunslingers, basically, the lawmen of this world, who also happen to be incredibly skilled, brave, and generally the most powerful people in the realm.

Roland's Father, Steven Deschain, is basically the king badass of Gunslingers. He's the most skilled, and wields the most powerful guns, a pair of revolvers which are later revealed in the dark tower series to be
    the sword Excalibur, melted down and reforged. This goes alogn with Roland and Steven being direct descendants of King Arthur, refered to as Arthur Eld in the Dark Tower books.

Roland's mother is currently being fucked by Marten Broadcloak, his father's advisor and also a wizard or something. Marten wants Roland out of the way, and so goads him into taking the test of becoming a gunslinger early, in the hopes that he'll fail and either be killed or exiled from Gilead.

The test is fighting and defeating his teacher, Cort. Roland is allowed to choose one weapon, which turns out to be his falcon, David. Roland knows that Cort is far too skilled to be beaten with any normal weapon, and so chooses the falcon in order to surprise him. It works, and Cort loses an ear and possibly an eye, before he yields and allows Roland to become a gunslinger and receive his first set of guns.

Roland decides that the other part of becoming a man is popping his cherry, so he goes and has sex with a prostitute.

The first issue ends with his father bursting into the room and being royally pissed at him.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Just finished reading this. Man, the art is fucking impressive. The Lee/Isanove duo kicks all kinds of ass on this book. The story was pretty damn good too. I've never read the books, but this series will probably change all that.

Bolded for truth. Both Isanove and Lee have impressed the hell out of me with this artwork; this is certainly Lee's best work to date. He's rapidly becoming my favorite artist.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Crayon wrote: »

That can be arranged.

Edit: Whoa, new forum edits in place. Awesome. But I realized the spoiler code was broken and had to close my eyes and scroll back up to the top of the page before I saw anything pertaining to the last book.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dear God I love this series already. As a big Dark Tower fan, the art work is exactly how I envisioned MidWorld, and the characters are so well drawn. Gorgeous book, couldn't be more happy with how it's started.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm also in the "Wizard and Glass was my favorite book and the ending grew on me" camp. I think the fact he included the horn was what saved it for me, that it wasn't all for naught and that Roland made the right choices this time around.

Also, color me excited for possible Talisman/Dark Tower crossovers. Can you imagine a can-tah raid on Queen Sophie's court? Now just imagine Roland's ka-tet showing up and fuck starting some face.

The concept is so unimaginably awesome I can't really coherently put it down here because I'm afraid I won't do it justice.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm also in the "Wizard and Glass was my favorite book and the ending grew on me" camp. I think the fact he included the horn was what saved it for me, that it wasn't all for naught and that Roland made the right choices this time around.

Also, color me excited for possible Talisman/Dark Tower crossovers. Can you imagine a can-tah raid on Queen Sophie's court? Now just imagine Roland's ka-tet showing up and fuck starting some face.

The concept is so unimaginably awesome I can't really coherently put it down here because I'm afraid I won't do it justice.

God... I have been waiting and waiting for news of the third Peter Straub and Stephen King book... the last one wasn't half as good as the Talisman, but it was way better then the nothing I have now...

That sounded more pathetic then I meant it to. But my point still stands.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    FUCK, I read part of that spoiler as I scanned down the last page.

This is a good comic, but I am tempted to wait until the trade is released.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I am just starting the second book and um, read a spoiler on the first page by accident, what with the new forums, soo I have a question that needs answering, based on the knolwedge I have just acquired.
    Does the series end with The Gunslinger confronting Stephen King himself?
    A yes or no will do just fine.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    MufasaJoe wrote: »
    Yeah, I am just starting the second book and um, read a spoiler on the first page by accident, what with the new forums, soo I have a question that needs answering, based on the knolwedge I have just acquired.
    Does the series end with The Gunslinger confronting Stephen King himself?
    A yes or no will do just fine.

Read the spoiler if you want. But don't let it keep you from reading the series, or you will miss out.

Yes... and no.
    It doesn't end with it... but it does happen.

It is kind of jarring... but it isn't series destroying.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Good to know. I will continue reading, from now on I will be treating myself with the versions with the Phil Hale illustrations.

MufasaJoe on