As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

determinism

• UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was a vitriolic atheist teenager. Now I'm a friendly atheist! God sucks, but I still love yoooou.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was an atheist and now I'm spiritual

Charles Kinbote on
  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've never been a vitriolic atheist, but I've remained a pretty firm one so far.

Probad on
  • FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    im atheist deal w/ it 8-)

Fabricate on
    edited August 2009
    Man, can't find any clips from the episode of Stella where they all become "spiritual"...

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Is this a joke post or real post?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

half and half

I did used to be atheist and I am no longer atheist at all

but I wouldn't actually describe myself as "spiritual"

Charles Kinbote on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009
    I used to be a physicalist and I still am. I'm also an atheist.

bongi on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was a strong atheist and now I am an agnostic atheist

Tam on
    edited August 2009

half and half

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Probad wrote: »
    Is this the thread where we learn to hate each other?

Hi guys, hows it been?

Jigrah on
    edited August 2009

half and half

Oh ok.

I'd like to say I'm spiritual at times, but then people seem to imagine that being spiritual entails burning incense and chanting or something.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    by the age of ten I'd independently arrived at the concept of Laplace's daemon (only realized through the conceit of a super-fast computer) and from that strict determinism. Later, I realized that such a computer would be impossible because to store information about the position/velocity of every particle, the computer would need to have more atoms than exist in the universe; sort of a variation on the "map the size of the country itself" thought problem, and concluded that (my conception of) Laplace's demon was impossible.

When I found out that the argument was a known thing, I was sort of disappointed, but also sort of relieved.

Personally, I'd like to believe that there is some quantum magic happening in the brain and consciousness that allows free will, but as an empiricist, I have to conclude that the universe is, on the whole, at best almost entirely deterministic. Kind of depressing, but at least it absolves me of all personal responsibility!

And that's the story of my relationship with determinism.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I used to be atheist

now I care only for Sprite™ Cola

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited August 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    being raised in an agnostic family is pretty neat

Pretty much my experience. I'm glad I wasn't raised in a religious family; I like that I wasn't pressured into anything.

Probad on
    edited August 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited August 2009
    my alternative post was going to be "This is my thread. It was made for me."

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009
    at least no-one is a filthy compatibilist!

bongi on
    edited August 2009
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Kind of depressing, but at least it absolves me of all personal responsibility!

I am interested in your newsletter, for I too wish to be absolved of all personal responsibilty.

Where do I send the cheque to and how do I get started?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited August 2009

half and half

Oh ok.

I'd like to say I'm spiritual at times, but then people seem to imagine that being spiritual entails burning incense and chanting or something.

Carl Sagan spiritual

Tam on
    edited August 2009
    Choomology

Fabricate on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am a bad Jew

It's a really great set of beliefs

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Fabricate on
    edited August 2009

I am interested in your newsletter, for I too wish to be absolved of all personal responsibilty.

For just 3 easy payments of all your money, you too can be free of the burden of choice!

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited August 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited August 2009
    Fabricate wrote: »

I have only known jigrah to be a gentleman and a scholar, and I am appalled by these baseless accusations.

Probad on
    edited August 2009
    by the age of ten I'd independently arrived at the concept of Laplace's daemon (only realized through the conceit of a super-fast computer) and from that strict determinism. Later, I realized that such a computer would be impossible because to store information about the position/velocity of every particle, the computer would need to have more atoms than exist in the universe; sort of a variation on the "map the size of the country itself" thought problem, and concluded that (my conception of) Laplace's demon was impossible.

When I found out that the argument was a known thing, I was sort of disappointed, but also sort of relieved.

Personally, I'd like to believe that there is some quantum magic happening in the brain and consciousness that allows free will, but as an empiricist, I have to conclude that the universe is, on the whole, at best almost entirely deterministic. Kind of depressing, but at least it absolves me of all personal responsibility!

Why does being an empiricist lead you to being deterministic?

Jigrah on
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

this is basically me

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »

Because no-one really sees ghosts :rotate:

bongi on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    man i bet i could explain my position if i had all these words together

Meissnerd on
    edited August 2009
    Fabricate wrote: »
    *admits to raping drunk girls*

*attempts to defend it for 50 pages*

So I was kinda wondering about that night, and I talked to her about it. I was the drunk one, and she was just a bit buzzed, that and she said we weren't sleeping together tonight because she wanted to tease me.

Jigrah on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    holy shit no one cares jigrah

Meissnerd on
    edited August 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »

because evidence shows that with increasing refinements in precision of measurement, increasingly accurate predictions can be made about the future

sure, you can waffle about Heisenberg uncertainty and quantum decoherence, but on a macro scale, ie, the world we live in, classical, predictable physical processes rule our existence. With a sufficiently powerful computer and sufficiently good input data, you could make highly accurate predictions of any physical process, which, as far as science can tell, includes human brain functioning. It's not as strong as strict determinism, but it's pretty close.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited August 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited August 2009

For just 3 easy payments of all your money, you too can be free of the burden of choice!

Your continued payment of Entropy qualifies you as a premium gold member of Life, signing you up for a chance to win FABULOUS PRIZES!

Tam on
    edited August 2009
    You should marry her. It's not rape if she's your wife.

Probad on
    edited August 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    holy shit no one cares jigrah

Well I guess I am just not for you.

Jigrah on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009
    One of my favourite quotes from philosophy is about compatibilism:

"the most flabbergasting instance of the fallacy of changing the subject to be encountered anywhere in the complete history of sophistry"

bongi on
    edited August 2009
    Probad wrote: »
    You should marry her. It's not rape if she's your wife.

Working on it, shes a bit out of my league financially but maybe I can just charm her out of high class living.

Jigrah on