As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guildwars 2] New Races of Tyria Trailer Out in 720p and 1080p!!!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    I watched this trailer, and it made me happy - just the right amount of hype, backstory, and groovy music to catch my interest. However, I've never played Guild Wars before. I downloaded the trial last night, and started up an Elementalist, then went to bed while it downloaded 10,000 files.

So, anything I should know to maximize my time with the trial? Full game's pretty cheap these days, from what I remember.

I never played the trial so I don't know exactly what you're able to do but if you can I would suggest trying various classes (try each of the classes as a main once and then concentrate on the mixing and matching of secondary classes), exploring the world, and if you can do a bit of PvP (or spectate a PvP match, I think if you hit "b" or "o" it brings up the menu for that) . It really depends on what the trial lets you do so I don't really know.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    I watched this trailer, and it made me happy - just the right amount of hype, backstory, and groovy music to catch my interest. However, I've never played Guild Wars before. I downloaded the trial last night, and started up an Elementalist, then went to bed while it downloaded 10,000 files.

So, anything I should know to maximize my time with the trial? Full game's pretty cheap these days, from what I remember.

I never played the trial so I don't know exactly what you're able to do but if you can I would suggest trying various classes (try each of the classes as a main once and then concentrate on the mixing and matching of secondary classes), exploring the world, and if you can do a bit of PvP (or spectate a PvP match, I think if you hit "b" or "o" it brings up the menu for that) . It really depends on what the trial lets you do so I don't really know.

Pretty sure you can do anything in the trial... but you only have 10 hours. Odds are, you're only able to do Prophecies - which is cool. Try to group with other people or get a friend to play with you. It's always a lot more fun. Other than that, yeah, definitely try out PvP someway or another. Once you get to Ascalon City, I think there's an arena to try out low level PvP.

Full game, just Prophecies, is like $30 on the online store, so not expensive at all. Or I think they had a version in store that had all 3 campaigns for like $50, if you can find it.

Geod on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, Trial is Prophecies only, and lasts 7 days (or so, it told me it expires this coming Sunday). The bummer is that it downloads each zone as you enter it; took it about an hour to grab all the opening area zone info last night. I'm guessing it keeps it cached, though, so future chars won't have to re-download it.

Anyway, if this can prevent me from re-subbing to WoW, I'm all for it. :D

Houn on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, Trial is Prophecies only, and lasts 7 days (or so, it told me it expires this coming Sunday). The bummer is that it downloads each zone as you enter it; took it about an hour to grab all the opening area zone info last night. I'm guessing it keeps it cached, though, so future chars won't have to re-download it.

it can't and won't.

try warhammer

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

command line: (or screw with the shortcut)

gw.exe -image

downloads the ENTIRE client in one fell swoop so that there is no downloading during the game.

Note it's > 3GB

And if you screw with the shortcut, remember to change it back.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Syphyre wrote: »

command line: (or screw with the shortcut)

gw.exe -image

downloads the ENTIRE client in one fell swoop so that there is no downloading during the game.

Note it's > 3GB

And if you screw with the shortcut, remember to change it back.

D:
    NOOOOOooooooo!!!
    Guess I am going back to the game :(

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

If you get heavy into PVP it might, but if you're looking for PVE to do this you'll probably need to grab at least one of the chapters (Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall) and the expansion (Eye of the North).

I have Prophecies + EotN and really only play every now and then.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I wonder if there is a place i could GW:EN cdkey cheap.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    if we do end up playing Guild Wars again, send a guild invite to Seraphim Repentia.

But not unless we have decided on a guild and we are going to start doing awesome things.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aww yeah, looking forward to this. I beat prophecies, picked up Factions and Nightfall but didn't get too far in either of them. Maybe later on this week I'll get back into it, and see if I can finish those up.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Finally bought GW:EN
    Now I need to play through it 3 times :(
    3 Main Charactes for me.

The old MM zerg still works well for clearing missions.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There any new guild we should all be joining here? We should stage a meet up so we can all friend each other. Maybe in lions arch or somewhere like that where everyone can go to.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Man, so many classes. I can't get past level 5, I keep rerolling.

Houn on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Houn wrote:
    Man, so many classes. I can't get past level 5, I keep rerolling.
    Are you still on the trial? You only have 6 there, if you had the other two campaigns you'd have 10 classes to choose from :) Also, of note, you can eventually change your secondary later in the game (though FAR later, at least in Prophecies).
    There any new guild we should all be joining here? We should stage a meet up so we can all friend each other. Maybe in lions arch or somewhere like that where everyone can go to.

Not really. A friend and I have created one, in anticipation of GW2. It has a grand total of FOUR members! Anyone is welcome to join, we just ask that we play through a mission with people first.

Geod on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, I started an Elementalist, took Mesmer as a secondary. Started a Ranger to check it out. Went back to the Ele. Liked the Mesmer powers, so started a Mesmer. Took Monk as a secondary, didn't like it. Rolled another Mesmer, tried Necro. Ok, but I miss the damage of the Elementalist!

Houn on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, I started an Elementalist, took Mesmer as a secondary. Started a Ranger to check it out. Went back to the Ele. Liked the Mesmer powers, so started a Mesmer. Took Monk as a secondary, didn't like it. Rolled another Mesmer, tried Necro. Ok, but I miss the damage of the Elementalist!

Make a Mo/Me! Everyone will love you.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I ended up re-rolling the Ele/Me so I could change the hair color. >.>

Enjoying blasting the shit out of baddies. Dropping points in Fire and Energy.

Houn on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Just an FYI but you can change secondary classes at will after a while (I think it's when you reach 20, might be before that). Also, your skill selection is so small that you shouldn't be too fussed how good or bad the character is until you start getting elite skills and a proper build sorted.

Also levelling 1-20 takes about 3-5x longer in prophecies as it does in the other campaigns. In fact, you should just play Nightfall and ignore the other campaigns to start with.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Trial is Prophecies only.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I am stuck with Cyndr the Mountain Heart
    http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cyndr_the_Mountain_Heart

How do I beat him with heroes and hench?

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ...it gives instructions on the wiki page you linked. It also indicates it's damn hard to do without a group of real players.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    I am stuck with Cyndr the Mountain Heart
    http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cyndr_the_Mountain_Heart

How do I beat him with heroes and hench?

Hey, I'm stuck on him too, we should get together sometime and crush him.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Day one, Collector's Edition.

EDIT:
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Shens wrote: »
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    I am curious to see how the interface will work. I thought the GW interface was perfect for PvP. The assisting and target calling was beautifully implemented.

I agree.

It was also very suitable for folks with less than stellar internet connections.

I hope they stick with that design principle.

Sorry for quoting a really early post here, but I could play this game from a third world country at one point, when I got stuck in Tanzania for a year. Sure, my lag could be through the roof at times, but it was still miraculously playable.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I could get back on my Necro-Ele.

I've not been playing for sometime but he was a respectable minion master back in the days of Factions.

Also I've got Blood is Power (And in general a psychotic blood build) so I can always gogogogo battery assuming they're still valuable.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Honest feedback here: I hated the GW1 interface. It felt too spartan, lacking the natural intuitiveness of D2 or even WoW. I like having direction in a game, and GW1 felt as though it had none. Admittedly, that was core GW, but if the original turned me off, why should drop $50 to try the expansions?

I'm also curious as to whether or not GW2 will employ microtransactions. If they intend to keep the game free to play, I can't see them not employing a cash shop of some sort.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I finally beaten GW:EN.
    Last Mission is kinda meh looking at a Mo/Me soloing.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    Honest feedback here: I hated the GW1 interface. It felt too spartan, lacking the natural intuitiveness of D2 or even WoW. I like having direction in a game, and GW1 felt as though it had none. Admittedly, that was core GW, but if the original turned me off, why should drop $50 to try the expansions?

I'm also curious as to whether or not GW2 will employ microtransactions. If they intend to keep the game free to play, I can't see them not employing a cash shop of some sort.

... what? All you need are 8 hotkeys, a compass, and a party monitor. What did you think was missing?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

... what? All you need are 8 hotkeys, a compass, and a party monitor. What did you think was missing?

I think he misses the 30,636,790,386 hotkeys plus the 3-19 boxes for text (one for damage dealt, one for damage recieved, one for guild chat, one for cybering, one for magic spells cast, one for ASCII macros, one to remind you to pick up your laundry, etc.), and all the other crap that's usually obscuring the game in screenshots of WoW.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I think he misses the 30,636,790,386 hotkeys plus the 3-19 boxes for text (one for damage dealt, one for damage recieved, one for guild chat, one for cybering, one for magic spells cast, one for ASCII macros, one to remind you to pick up your laundry, etc.), and all the other crap that's usually obscuring the game in screenshots of WoW.

And direction? What, all the missions are pretty linear, and you get that dot on your map giving you the general direction to go. What, does he want the damn game spoon fed to him?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Almost certain they're using the same pricing model as GW1.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I read in an interview they said they were going to do the same thing they did with Guild Wars and just release extra content (hopefully standalone content so new people won't have to go back and buy all the older stuff). They did well enough with the way GW1 did things so I don't see any reason not to keep doing it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I read in an interview they said they were going to do the same thing they did with Guild Wars and just release extra content (hopefully standalone content so new people won't have to go back and buy all the older stuff). They did well enough with the way GW1 did things so I don't see any reason not to keep doing it.

Yeah they wouldnt be making a #2 if they didnt do really well with the first. And by all accounts GW1 was a hit.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    CerisaCerisa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    God, when I saw the Guild Wars 2 trailer, I practically exploded from awesomeness. I am so excited, perhaps mostly so for the claimed 'events'. Making an impact on the world around me is extremely important to me, but MMO's are always so... 'static' that it gets tiring to me.

EDIT: I get on once in a while, still. My current main's name is 'Kira Poisonblade', if anyone wants to hack their way through some missions.
    EDIT2: It isn't almost certain, it's 100% guaranteed that the game will have no subscription fees. You can read the FAQ here.

Cerisa on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Yeah, they've said it will be just like Guild Wars 1, which, we should point out for delroland (I'm starting to think he never actually played the game) means just buy the game and no other fees beyond that.

Which is awesome.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Yeah, they've said it will be just like Guild Wars 1, which, we should point out for delroland (I'm starting to think he never actually played the game) means just buy the game and no other fees beyond that.

Which is awesome.

They did start to introduce bits of content that you could pay for. But only really recently (comparatively). It started off with getting all the bonus pre-order items from the various boxed copies. PvP Skillsets came in around the same time. Later on they introduced a few extra quests that you could buy. And more recently the extra storage and character name changes.

I'd be happy to see more of the micro mission content just to keep the game a little more fresh.

Also, I've been playing for a bit now, and god do I suck at RA.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/art/

Hardcover artbook :)
    artbook.jpg

Seriously ANET, just take my wallet.

Rook on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The thing they did with GW1 that I like, was that they sold the PvP skill sets. If you didn't want to go buy the whole expansion because you didn't care about the PvE content, and you just wanted the new skills for PvP, you could buy just the skill set. Was a good thing, and I hope they do that with GW2 once it starts getting extended skill sets via expansion.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "I think I can safely say that you won't see a single exclamation mark floating above a character's head in Guild Wars 2," claims lead designer Eric Flannum.
    I am getting more and more curious as to how they will do this. They seem to suggest that dynamic events will be the primary source of "questing". That could be very cool if they do it right.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Well... they managed to do this last time.

There were microtransactions in the last GW.

You could buy some of the skill sets.

You could buy the "special weapons" that came with the GW Special Edition (or whatever it was) if you had the original and didn't want to buy the game again for a little bonus thingy.

There were probably a couple others but I don't really remember.

I wouldn't expect anything much beyond this.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

That was an unnecessary bit of snark. I have played GW1 (original, no xpacs) for about two hours, and I really didn't like it. I understand there were no fees beyond the cost of the box (unless you wanted more character slots); my question was not one of continuing trends, but rather if a free-to-play MMO can do well in the current market, one where micro-transactions seem to be all the rage if you're not WoW.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23