As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gran Turismo 5 - Out Now - Race 5 Details OP & PG 77

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They said they'd update in +/- 1 day each week. So... any time between yesterday and tomorrow?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    DiamondDiamond Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    They said they'd update in +/- 1 day each week. So... any time between yesterday and tomorrow?

If I understood that update right that would mean we should have had the update about 10 hours ago.

Diamond on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, it does say Wednesday 10AM EST, but I'm not sure that was such a well worded post. They even said, "will be update on a weekly basis." So I'm not sure we can really trust it.

In any case, the update will come out sooner or later, hold your jets.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They also said patches at least once a month, and once a week at best and look at how thats turning out now. :(

A bit off topic for a minute here, for those of us that found the rally racing to be lacking, Dirt 3 just got an announced release date, May 24th.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Don't worry about the update for a while I guess:

@Kaz_Yamauchi Kaz, will the new seasonal events be up soon?

@anthonyputson: ちょっと一休み。(Little break)

From here.

I'm not following his twitter, I just got the news from elsewhere. Wow I look like a total nerd for this game right now.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looks like I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hate most if not all of the courses they make you race on for that damned X-1 challenge.

That is all.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, over the weekend I did the Indy 500, and whatever the 300km race is. Well.. I did that one twice.

The first time, I was on lap 59. I paused to chat on mIrc, then went back to the game. My hand must have swiped the joystick because when I hit X, it restarted. The entire race. At lap 59. Needless to say, I was a bit upset. I'm sorry to those on mIrc that heard my rage.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I hate the way that there's no "are you sure you want to restart" check. How simple and obvious is that?

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I hate the way that there's no "are you sure you want to restart" check. How simple and obvious is that?

I totally agree. I don't even think I felt my hand hitting the joystick, and I was so ready/excited to finish the race, being one lap away, I smashed X before I looked back at the screen. Oh well, at least it was the shortest of the endurance races.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think when I did the same it was on the NASCAR on Nurburgring special race, and I reeeeeaaaally didn't want to redo that race.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, over the weekend I did the Indy 500, and whatever the 300km race is. Well.. I did that one twice.

The first time, I was on lap 59. I paused to chat on mIrc, then went back to the game. My hand must have swiped the joystick because when I hit X, it restarted. The entire race. At lap 59. Needless to say, I was a bit upset. I'm sorry to those on mIrc that heard my rage.

You know what's funny about that, is that afternoon, I did the same thing. within about 2 hours of your doing it, granted it was a 5 lap race, and that was lap 4, but still made my laugh. and then cry.

deveric on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    deveric wrote: »

You know what's funny about that, is that afternoon, I did the same thing. within about 2 hours of your doing it, granted it was a 5 lap race, and that was lap 4, but still made my laugh. and then cry.

Ha! Karma! But really, any time that happens can be very frustrating, unless it is a one lap race that isn't the Nurburgring.

But I made my wife hang out with me while I did the race the second time and it really made time fly much faster... Now I just need to convince her to hang out during the 24 hour race.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Given how the Sunday Cup Racing Series hasn't exactly been running of late (although, hopefully that will change now that the Lime Coastline Removalists have finished winning the Hand Egg Ultra Cup, or something), and how, even when we do race, there's at most 10 people able to turn up, I've been giving thought to a Time Trial league. The ideas I've had so far:
    1. 3 tracks a week, a different Premium car for each, split into 3 leagues; either (a) based on the car's price - 50k or less, 50k-250k, 250k-1m - or (b) based on the car's level; haven't decided the split yet.
    2. 5-8 tracks every fortnight, a single Premium car to be used on all the tracks, fastest cumulative time wins.
    For all of these, I figure there may as well be no limit to the amount of upgrades, since it's difficult to prove what you have equipped without recording yourself doing the laps, and everyone's in the same car anyway.

As a completely separate thought, I've just been trying to come up with a Top Gear style Reasonably Priced Car challenge, and I think I've found it; the Suzuki SWIFT Sport '07 in Arcade Mode, with Comfort : Soft tyres. About the right level of horsepower, FF drivetrain, and only a few seconds faster around the Top Gear Test Track than the fastest celebrity Kia Cee'd lap time from a standing start.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Given how the Sunday Cup Racing Series hasn't exactly been running of late (although, hopefully that will change now that the Lime Coastline Removalists have finished winning the Hand Egg Ultra Cup, or something), and how, even when we do race, there's at most 10 people able to turn up, I've been giving thought to a Time Trial league. The ideas I've had so far:
    1. 3 tracks a week, a different Premium car for each, split into 3 leagues; either (a) based on the car's price - 50k or less, 50k-250k, 250k-1m - or (b) based on the car's level; haven't decided the split yet.
    2. 5-8 tracks every fortnight, a single Premium car to be used on all the tracks, fastest cumulative time wins.
    For all of these, I figure there may as well be no limit to the amount of upgrades, since it's difficult to prove what you have equipped without recording yourself doing the laps, and everyone's in the same car anyway.

As a completely separate thought, I've just been trying to come up with a Top Gear style Reasonably Priced Car challenge, and I think I've found it; the Suzuki SWIFT Sport '07 in Arcade Mode, with Comfort : Soft tyres. About the right level of horsepower, FF drivetrain, and only a few seconds faster around the Top Gear Test Track than the fastest celebrity Kia Cee'd lap time from a standing start.

I really like that idea of time trials. I'm very spotty with being able to show up at regular events, so being able to do this on my own time would be awesome.

On the other hand, I did just get a microphone, so multiplayer is more appealing now, but I'd enjoy both.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I really like that idea of time trials. I'm very spotty with being able to show up at regular events, so being able to do this on my own time would be awesome.

On the other hand, I did just get a microphone, so multiplayer is more appealing now, but I'd enjoy both.

I'd also be interested in the time trials. I've been MIA in this thread for awhile mostly due to holiday travels (and then my ps3 broke right when I got back in town), but everything's running in tip top shape now and I've really gotten into GT5. Played it for about 5-6 hours this weekend, actually, which is a lot for me. Time trials work best, too, as a combination of living on the west coast, working late, and living with the gf means it's tough for me to make set times. If I have like a week or so to bust out the races, that would mean I could actually participate....

Hyperion on
    XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seasonal Events have been updated with #7, and there's been a big change in the races.

All of them are repeatable, yet unrestricted, but have "suggestions" as to what HP cars to use and they even have events for the 2 Ferrari F1 cars, but no more humongous payouts of credits and XP in this one.

There's also new cars in the OD

Tacoma X-Runner 20,422
    SVT Lightning 32,247
    Sprinter Tureno GT-Apex 51,810
    RUF BTR 96,925
    RUF 3400S 67,338
    RUF RGT 129,291
    RUF CTR2 205,591
    RUF Yellowbird 146,418
    Escudo 1,947,920
    Clio Renault Super Trophy RC 111,370
    Mercedes 190 E 2.5-16 TC 1,474,312
    FGT 4,929,325

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No more huge CP and Exp? Dang. That was the best part about these seasonal races...

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No more huge CP and Exp? Dang. That was the best part about these seasonal races...

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Now how am I supposed to level up? Endurance races?

:(

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The Sebastian Vettel challenges give decent XP and money.

If you can drive a fucking rocket on wheels, that is.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I've been playing off and on since I picked this up shortly after Christmas. Despite various complaints I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I think the largest gripe I have with the game is just the sheer disparity in races and diversity in events. ie regulations, one make races in A-Spec etc.
    You enter a race with comparable car from the "typical opponents" list and you either blast by everyone in the field or there's that one car that pulls ahead of everybody else and you're never able to catch up.

Or there was a "European Hot-hatch" event which would imply euro hatchbacks. Apparently, the Bugatti Veyron counts as a hatchback. (why is that car a standard model btw?) So, yeah, a lot of wtf moments but still enjoyable.

When you get a good field with alot of aggressive position changes and manage to eek it out at least second. :^: Awesome stuff.

PSN Id is Harakhti if anyone wants to add me. Though, my game times are a bit sporadic.

Harakhti on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Harakhti wrote: »
    Or there was a "European Hot-hatch" event which would imply euro hatchbacks. Apparently, the Bugatti Veyron counts as a hatchback. (why is that car a standard model btw?) So, yeah, a lot of wtf moments but still enjoyable.
    That's not the best example.

The most triumphant example is the Compact Car Series, because apparently the fucking Tank Car counts as a compact car.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I, for one, am glad to know I can use my Formula GT in the very first A-Spec or B-Spec race. Not that I need to anymore, but it is good to know I can use a stinking formula car when everyone else has less than 200hp. That makes sense, right?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Harakhti wrote: »
    That's not the best example.

The most triumphant example is the Compact Car Series, because apparently the fucking Tank Car counts as a compact car.

Wait, what?

That's it, I know what I'm doing after the Seasonal Events tonight...

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I still need to find an affordable car that can win the expert classic car races, without it costing 20 mil.

deveric on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I still need to find an affordable car that can win the expert classic car races, without it costing 20 mil.

I'll send you one. I got the 20mil jaguar from doing the Indy 500.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The best solution I found is to use the Toyota 7 you win in the B-Spec "Like the Wind" races.

The Listener on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I'll send you one. I got the 20mil jaguar from doing the Indy 500.

That's the same car I used to win that series in A-spec. B-Spec I am planning on waiting until I win the Like the Wind series and get that Toyota 7 Listener mentioned. Damn AI needs to HP-bully to victory.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hide your pets because a patch is coming on the 18th. Going to add Power Points from GT5 Prologue, not sure about other changes. Hopefully its a huge patch.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    YES

Wait no, I don't want a huge patch, because then my dad gets pissed at me for using up hundreds of megs in a single hour.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    They mentioned earlier that it would include remote races for B-Spec. Let's hope that is true, because otherwise, I only do B-Spec when heating up food in the microwave.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    One of the Seasonal Events requires a Ferrari Formula car :(

...anyone got one I can borrow?

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Since I had some time to kill this morning I decided to check out the Portable Garage function in GT5 and GTPSP. It's pretty obvious that there is a significant difference between standard cars that were taken from GT4 and standard cars that were taken from GTPSP.

I thought I'd take a nice peaceful drive around Trial Mountain. Here I am coming into the turn by the lake:
    trialmountaincircuit1v.jpg

As I pull toward the final S-curve I realize I have dropped my soda, and lean down to pick it up.
    trialmountaincircuit4.jpg

Whoops...
    trialmountaincircuit2l.jpg

Oh dear...
    trialmountaincircuit5a.jpg

I'm ok!
    trialmountaincircuit6w.jpg

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty sure thats exactly how you should take that corner. ^^

In other news, for a person who has no interest in cars or motor sport whatsoever, this game + a G27 takes up a lot of my time...

Yann on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Man are Indy and Daytona total crapshoots when I'm driving them in NASCAR, but B-Spec NASCAR series is like a damn lottery. I gotta babysit moron driver #1 that entire series and depending on how the draft train goes he could be in the top three or at the end of the damn pack. <insert primal scream here>

Finally won the B-Spec Like The Wind series so I have the Toyota 7 for the B-Spec Classic Race Car series. Too bad my driver 'feels sad' and can't pass a damn Chaparral 2J to win at Monaco. (Sure, put one of those on the pole position, GT5! Silly geese.)

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Went back and checked out some of the special events tonight. Golded all the go-kart stuff (fun!), the first top gear challenge (fuck those buses) and the first sebastian loeb challenge.

I kinda like rally, takes a while to get used to though.

Yann on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So I take it that it's just myself and Ironsizide that are bothering to show up today?

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I wasn't able to make it anyway, so...

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to make some money as a level 10 A Spec driver? Its expensive getting cars and tuning them to compete. Perhaps I should just run some races over and over again.

Lind on