"It's a shame when a difference of opinion gets somebody killed. That's all I have to say about that."
"Every war is the result of a difference of opinion. Maybe the biggest questions can only be answered by the greatest of conflicts."
"Let's hope not, or we're on the brink of another world war."
Welcome to the Deus Ex miniPhalla! Knowledge of Deus Ex is not required for this game, though it might give you some insights; however, if you don't have knowledge of Deus Ex you really should be playing it instead of this phalla. Just in case, here's a summary:
The year is 2052, and the world has become a really horrible place to live. Poverty is everywhere, terrorism is rampant, and a horrible plague called the Gray Death threatens to kill everyone. There's rumors of a cure, but they also say that there's only enough of the cure, "Ambrosia", to save a fraction of the population, and the government and wealthy are keeping it to themselves. Violence and riots have sprung up everywhere, with millions of people facing the prospect of a slow, painful death and desperate for a cure.
The world needs a hero, but you're (probably) not a hero; just someone desperate to survive the chaos. Some people might just wait for a hero to save them, maybe someone wearing sunglasses and a trench coat, but not you. It's time to take things into your own hands.
Don't you hate being a villager in a Phalla? Sometimes it feels like the phalla is a fight between the good specials and the mafia, with the villagers just there to absorb kills. This game is an attempt to avoid that.
This will be a faction game.
This game will use some special mechanics:
1) Friends: People talk to each other, they make friends and form groups. All villagers will start masoned with another villager that they can trust fully, at least at the beginning of the game (See #3).
Preemptively going to explain this one. Ever been a villager and never received a PM the entire game? I really hate that. So while I realize this is going to have horrible repercussions balance wise, I really want to give it a try.
2) Information: In the world of Deus Ex, information is power. Even the lowliest bum might know something about what's going on, but that information isn't very useful on its own. Every villager has a piece of info explaining the game's mechanics, gathering as much of this information as possible will be crucial to your faction winning.
3) Pick a side: There are several different organizations, each with their own goals, and some of them are looking for like minded individuals to help. A villager can join certain organizations by PMing the host with the name of a core member of that group and stating they wish to join. The organization is informed you have joined but not of your identity.
Don't wait too long; each faction has a maximum size, and dying before joining a faction results in a loss.
Using this mechanic to guess names until you get lucky will be punished severely
4) Hidden. If it happens to you, you'll know it.
Vote close is at 8PM PDT
Standard rules, -1: No sharing screenshots, no anonymous contact, the dead can't talk, and PM me all proboards. I really don't care if you quote role PMs.
No vote retractions. Both for my sake and because of certain game mechanics. Sorry!
I'm not going to give the standard "Epic Reveals can be dangerous" warning, given the setting you should be able to figure that out. I'll just say: Be careful who you trust. People who you least expect might want you
in particular dead.
Order of action:
Vote > Guard > Other > Seer > Kills > Conversions > Hidden Mechanic
A special note on activity
None of the players in this game will be trivialized. Some are more powerful than others, yes, but no one will be able to cruise through the game just throwing their votes around. Therefor I'm going to request that you only sign up if you're prepared to be fairly active. I wont be taking signups that are currently involved in another CF Phalla (I'm not checking the other forums, but think twice before you sign up if you're in one of those as well). Also, players who don't stay reasonably active, or have their partner(s) complain about their lack of responsiveness, will be promptly replaced. Players currently in other phallas are welcome to sign up as reserves
and save a spot for when they die in their other game(s).
Ok, that was a stupid rule and is no longer in force.
Additionally, this will be a low death game; there are few kills and many guards. Running the numbers, I expect this game to last 5-10 days, but it's entirely possible the majority of the players will still be alive when it ends. So if you sign up, expect to do so for the long haul.
Looking for 32 signups
Ask for clarifications in orange. I'm going to freely give clarifications that don't blatantly favor one side, so if you prefer things mysterious, don't ask
1. Jordan Shea - Verr
2. Icarus - Kuhlmeye
3. Nicolette DuClare - Zandracon
4. JoJo Fine - Captain Eleven
5. Johnny - iamtheaznman
6. Sam Carter - Arivia
7. Walton Simons - Seriously
8. Max Chen - Balefuego
9. Morgan Everett - SpectralSpork
10. Anna Navarre - Egos
11. Ford Schick - Dunedainjedi
12. Joseph Manderly - Fiaryn
13. Shannon - Nocturne
14. Paul Denton - Shalmelo
15. Daedelus - TheLawinator
16. Stanton Dowd - Rawkking Goodguy
17. Sergeant Kaplan - LemmingHead
18. Smuggler - Houn
19. Tracer Tong - Hippie
20. Chad Dumier - Orange Soda
21. Bob Page - Dunadan019
22. Alex Jacobson - Sigmund
23. Miguel - Vertroue
24. Gunther Hermann - Daius
25. Harley Filben - The_Reflection
26. JC Denton - Wildcat
27. Dr. Gary Savage - Typhus733
28. Jaime Reyes - Trust
29. Jock - Burnage
30. Maggie Chow - Erich Zahn
31. Tifany Savage - Fatal3RR0R
32. Gordon Quick - Dac Vin
A note on inactivity and reserves.
If anyone hasn't voted and used their ability (if it exists) by vote close, I'll allow a 30 minute break for any reserves to step forward, fill their spot, and give last minute daily orders. So if you want a spot you might want to watch this thread at vote close.
This is my first time hosting, and I admit to trying some crazy stuff. I can't promise this game will be anything close to balanced, but I hope it will be fun.