As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Batman comics

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it trite for me to post about, you know, how fucking good Batman & Robin #13 was?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes, Zeromus.

Now go to the bitching thread and talk about Batman: The Odyssey.

Munch on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't read Odyssey yet, what did you do to it Munch? Did you hit the Odyssey?

TexiKen on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I did like Red Robin.

Edit: However...
    Damien being ABLE to work on cracking Tim's password for six hours without being locked out is some pretty bad writing.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, outside of Dixon, Nicieza writes the best Tim/Dick chats. They're just so comfortable talking about stuff and how Tim would never think Dick could ever become bad or corrupted.

TexiKen on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did like Red Robin.

Edit: However...
    Damien being ABLE to work on cracking Tim's password for six hours without being locked out is some pretty bad writing.

Well, the password itself was pretty ridiculous as well.

Fencingsax on
    edited July 2010
    The new one is pretty good, I doubt Damien would get it.

TexiKen on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    It is still technically a weak password. He doesn't have to know it or guess it to crack it.

And if the security wasn't in place to stop him the first time it won't stop him the second.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited July 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Yes, Zeromus.

Now go to the bitching thread and talk about Batman: The Odyssey.

Uh oh, I've flipped through the issue but haven't had the chance to read it yet. D:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I haven't read Odyssey yet, what did you do to it Munch? Did you hit the Odyssey?
    I actually didn't read it. I just saw it getting trashed for being too old-fashioned and weird.

I'm not sure what exactly people expected from a Neal Adams Bat-book.

Munch on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    It is still technically a weak password. He doesn't have to know it or guess it to crack it.

And if the security wasn't in place to stop him the first time it won't stop him the second.

Tims supposed to be the smart one to, you'd think he'd at least throw a number in there, most websites wouldn't let him get away with that password let alone his super-secret plot to overthrow the JLA.

And Ar...Arsenal.

DarkWarrior on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why doesn't he just randomly put in a bunch of numbers and letters? They are trained by Batman, you'd thought they would rememebr a random sequence no problem.

Solar on
    edited July 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Why doesn't he just randomly put in a bunch of numbers and letters? They are trained by Batman, you'd thought they would rememebr a random sequence no problem.

My password is 26 digits long and contains about 8 numbers. It was just a silly plot point in a weak book which Red Robin normally isn't. He's Bruce's 'son', I'm sure Damien could've found out a complex password.

B&R on the other hand was pretty good, nice to see J back and doing evil plots.

DarkWarrior on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

My password is 26 digits long and contains about 8 numbers. It was just a silly plot point in a weak book which Red Robin normally isn't. He's Bruce's 'son', I'm sure Damien could've found out a complex password.

Hmm, regarding Batman and Robin 13 I'm reasonably convinced that
    The Joker they have is actually Jason

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    BigDes wrote: »

Why? Jason isn't particularly subtle or capable.

Though it'd be one hell of a fakeout if Sexton was Joker and Joker was Jason.

DarkWarrior on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

in which case
    Robin beating him up with a crowbar is hilarious

Tairu on
    edited July 2010

Two, well three things really
    He doesn't look anything like he did the last time we saw the Joker (but then different artists so eh)
    He talks about getting shot in the head giving him this face, last time we saw Jason he just got shot in the head oh and "I was a little Boy Wonder once too".

Then there's the fact that he seems to resent both Dick and Bruce.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    That is ridiculous.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

He doesn't look anything like he did the last time we saw the Joker (but then different artists so eh)
    He talks about getting shot in the head giving him this face, last time we saw Jason he just got shot in the head oh and "I was a little Boy Wonder once too".

Joker had a bullet hole in his forehead in RIP. I assume he's talking about fixing the forked tongue nonsense and that bullethole. Just how he reacts to Damian and how he sounds like "him", the way he cant be the Joker without a Batman (Dick is just too calm and doesnt react to Joker the same) and how he immediately starts smiling when he sees that Damian could be a new Batman for him gives it away as Joker.

KVW on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it's me

i'm the joker

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I didn't like Morrison's changes to the Joker; the Joker was fine as he was.

It just seemed to...I don't know...like Morrison was branding Joker with a "Morrison was here" on his forehead.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    edited July 2010

Oh yeah the boy wonder line, Id glossed over that, thought it was just garnering favour.

DarkWarrior on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Oh yeah the boy wonder line, Id glossed over that, thought it was just garnering favour.

Yeah I kind of just thought he meant he was a child once, but with more flavorful language.

Tairu on
    edited July 2010
    Tairu wrote: »

Yeah I kind of just thought he meant he was a child once, but with more flavorful language.

Yeah maybe, it was just that line, combined with the context of the situation just made me go hey wait a minute there's a shenanigan here.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Tairu wrote: »

Yeah maybe, it was just that line, combined with the context of the situation just made me go hey wait a minute there's a shenanigan here.

Its certainly plausible, but if that ends up being what happens I'm just going to have to go and cut Morrisons testicles off because he shouldn't be breeding.

DarkWarrior on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Joker Theory:

It's good, but it doesn't work. Dominoes, people. Follow the Dominoes.

Linespider5 on
    edited July 2010
    Also, Oberon appeared and operated at the same time as the Red Hood; I don't think it's plausible that Jason would run back to his truck and switch clothes every five minutes to keep the dual identities going. And Dick would probably recognize Jason with facepaint on. And the Joker explains his looking the way he does as a direct consequence of Batman & Son. (For what it's worth, the Joker that Frank Quitely drew on the cover for this issue looks exactly like he did in R.I.P.) And it's just, you know, sort of an inane theory.

Edit: Grant Morrison also works much more in a long-term sense than people here seem to realize. He wouldn't establish Jason a couple of arcs ago simply to have a stupid "AHA!" moment at the climax of an arc that is already going to explode pretty much everything that's been leading up to this point since 2006.

(I edited this post a lot lols)

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010
    He had a stupid Aha moment when he revealed Sexton, the man mountain, as the weedy Joker.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    He had a stupid Aha moment when he revealed Sexton, the man mountain, as the weedy Joker.

I do agree that the art for Sexton should have been more consistent. (Hard to say whether that's Morrison's fault or what, though.) But frankly, I had suspected Oberon would be the Joker from the moment he was introduced. The black/red tipped me off, as did El Penitente's dialogue with him. That really wasn't much of an out-of-the-blue thing for people that are kind of obsessive about Grant Morrison's Batman run, but it did also work as a nice "Aha!" moment.

Jason being revealed as the Joker would not work at all - logically or otherwise.

Edit: In sum, there wasn't anything that didn't work about Oberon's reveal as the Joker if you go back and re-read the issues, even if you don't see how someone could've seen it coming to begin with. There are a lot of things that don't work about Jason being revealed as the Joker, though.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I do hope Jason comes back before Morrison's run ends, as I don't think his interpretation of the character will stick otherwise.

And I really don't want to see him back in jeans and a leather jacket. That's an even lazier costume than Superboy's.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    I do hope Jason comes back before Morrison's run ends, as I don't think his interpretation of the character will stick otherwise.

And I really don't want to see him back in jeans and a leather jacket. That's an even lazier costume than Superboy's.

What if he started wearing a Batman T-shirt with a red line painted through the symbol?

DarkWarrior on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really hope they run with the Red Hood persona he rediscovered and improved upon in the Batman and Robin book. I think that's the logical place where Todd's character can exist in the DCU and trying to force him to either try and reform or be a rouge in the same sense as Two-Face or Joker would just be too much.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited July 2010
    I rather like the idea of Jason being a Dick foil as opposed to Bruce. Dick has that brother aspect to it that just makes it work better when they conflict in regards to fighting crime or cleaning up the city.

Bruce has his "I'm always right forever and ever" stance that wouldn't be fun to see after the 50th Todd appearance

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

What if he started wearing a Batman T-shirt with a red line painted through the symbol?

Or he could just carve a bat symbol into his chest, then team up with Superboy Prime.

World's Whiniest!

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I rather like the idea of Jason being a Dick foil as opposed to Bruce. Dick has that brother aspect to it that just makes it work better when they conflict in regards to fighting crime or cleaning up the city.

Bruce has his "I'm always right forever and ever" stance that wouldn't be fun to see after the 50th Todd appearance

Jason should just have stayed dead, he was a good example to Bruce of why he shouldn't be bringing fucking children into the world of cirme fighting/ They all started before Bruce did and as people in the comic keep saying, they aren't Bruce.

Plus it had the added sting of being delivered by the Joker, the guy he keeps entrusting to the system. His failure there was massive and was a burden for him to bear. Now he's just 'fuck that douche'

DarkWarrior on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2010
    I actually prefer Winick's Jason Todd over Morrison's. I still think Morrison's is all right but Winick's makes more sense to me (even though it's kind of a generic anti-hero)

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2010
    I really enjoyed Morrison's take on Jason but it was pretty limited. Winick has certainly developed Jason to a much, much greater degree, and I agree that it's good, also.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't wait for the giant Grant Morrison Batman Omnibus when this is all over. So much of this is enhanced when you catch the long running threads and references.

(note: there had better be an omnibus)

Lux on
    edited July 2010
    I kind of wonder, if they did an Omnibus, how this upcoming Morrison/Daniel two parter would fit into it. Could you put it between Batman 681 & 682?

TexiKen on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I knew Oberon was Joker, because Morrison pretended that Gotham would actually let anyone with a covered face do whatever in the city.

Fencingsax on
This discussion has been closed.