As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotel Dusk: You can check out any time...

1141516171820»

• Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm trying to get into Trace Memory.
    I keep playing it for about 10 minutes and then turn it off.

I hope it gets... good.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    carbon13 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can import this from? I'm in the UK and want it NOW motherfuckers. Movietyme don't have it, anywhere else?

I'd have thought G-Force on Union St. would have a copy (I'm assuming you're staying in Glasgow). The PAL regions release is coming on April 13th anyway, so you should be able to get it in GAME or amazon in a couple of weeks.

A pity it's sold out at movietyme. It's where I got my copy, and you can't get new DS games for £20 anywhere else easily.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have to beat this game. I keep putting it to the side and at this rate it wont be finished till 2009.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    carbon13carbon13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    carbon13 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can import this from? I'm in the UK and want it NOW motherfuckers. Movietyme don't have it, anywhere else?

I'd have thought G-Force on Union St. would have a copy (I'm assuming you're staying in Glasgow). The PAL regions release is coming on April 13th anyway, so you should be able to get it in GAME or amazon in a couple of weeks.

A pity it's sold out at movietyme. It's where I got my copy, and you can't get new DS games for £20 anywhere else easily.

Not staying in Glasgow, since it's easter I can't really be bothered going in during my easter break. Want a nice happy postman to give me a copy instead, seeing I have a long bus journey on the 10th.

carbon13 on
    First rule of Teacher Club: You don't touch the kids.
    Second rule of Teacher Club: You DO NOT touch the kids.
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have to beat this game. I keep putting it to the side and at this rate it wont be finished till 2009.

I was doing the same; it took me about five weeks to finish it because I was playing it for 10-20 minutes every three days.

As someone who was in your shoes, let me recommend that you sit down and devote some time to finishing it--the endgame experience is extremely cathartic.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    That's good to know.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Captain K wrote: »

I was doing the same; it took me about five weeks to finish it because I was playing it for 10-20 minutes every three days.

As someone who was in your shoes, let me recommend that you sit down and devote some time to finishing it--the endgame experience is extremely cathartic.

I guess I need to finish it too then. I got stuck somewhere like 2 weeks ago and haven't played since then. Now I really don't know what to do.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »

I hope it gets... good.

Yeah, I bought it after I finished HD and was excited to play it, got up to when you meet that ghost kid (like 10 minutes in), turned it off, and never played again. I guess I might still, but I dunno, the characters and writing just seemed kind of crappy after Hotel Dusk, as did the interface.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, it's nowhere near the same game as Hotel Dusk. If you're interested in more adventure gaming after finishing HD, your best bet is to look to the PC's back catalog.

Captain K on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    edit: Nevermind, I reloaded and it worked this time. Huh.

Darlan on
  • Options
    MithrusMithrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just got this game a few days ago. So far it's great -- unlike any other game I've played before. I'm only on Chapter 3, but I think I can see where things are headed.

Mithrus on
    getwriters.jpg
    Send a pm my way if you're interested.
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »

I hope it gets... good.

Yeah, I bought it after I finished HD and was excited to play it, got up to when you meet that ghost kid (like 10 minutes in), turned it off, and never played again. I guess I might still, but I dunno, the characters and writing just seemed kind of crappy after Hotel Dusk, as did the interface.

Hahah, no way. That's the exact same spot I'm at right now.
    Eh, I got other things to play.

However, I might replay Hotel Dusk. God, I loved that game to bits.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mithrus wrote: »
    I just got this game a few days ago. So far it's great -- unlike any other game I've played before. I'm only on Chapter 3, but I think I can see where things are headed.

Chances are, you're wrong.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This game is so very interesting. When I got my DS just the other week, I had no idea that such quirky-seeming titles like this and Phoenix Wright would be so much more gripping and fun than the so called must get AAA's like NSMB. Change is good.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I get stuck in this game every 5 minutes. It doesn't help much that I play it and put it down for a week. By the time I get back to playing it, I'm completely dumbfounded on what to do.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You could always just FAQ your way through it.

or ask here for subtle hints that might suit your tastes better

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well I remember getting some tools and the magazine in the closet. Then I remember talking to the plump cleaning lady. I got the game over from there, and then I think I re-did that part over again. I think I rmember her telling me I could see the girl around 8 oclock. Unfortunatly it's not even fucking 6 yet.

Now I seem to have nowhere to go, noone to talk to, and no doors to open, other than my own room. halp?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    you paid that guy his money yet? Sounds like you're around that point I think

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you were on the fence about getting this game, your window to pick it up just got a little smaller. Amazon's price has already exceeded retail and at the retail level (Best Buy, Gamestop), supply is already very thin.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    Mr_PeelMr_Peel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you were on the fence about getting this game, your window to pick it up just got a little smaller. Amazon's price has already exceeded retail and at the retail level (Best Buy, Gamestop), supply is already very thin.

Another factor that might get you off the fence: a demo of Hotel Dusk is now available from the DS Download Stations. It's fairly short but gives you a nice preview of Dunning, Hyde, and some of the game's simpler puzzles.

Mr_Peel on
    Wii Code: 7511 8555 3568 9480[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Brawl: 3136 6048 0984
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Woo! Last copy at like the 4th closest EBStop. According to their website, there's only about 1 or 2 more within a 30 mile radius of me.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My brother is pissed that I just sent Hotel Dusk to my sister. Should he be?

Here's the situation. My sister is not a gamer. She's an artsy "intellectual" that works at a museum and is constantly back in college working on some other achievement. She comes from a VERY different past full of mistakes and drugs and what not, so it's not like this defines her. She's a cool older Cali chick and certainly not a nerd. Her daughter (my niece) is in her early twenties now and they are living together... they behave more like sisters (my sister still looks and acts "young"). We actually sent them each a DS lite.

While she's not a gamer, the Atari I grew up with was hers and she would profess her love of Donkey Kong and Pac Man back when all I cared about was Super Mario Bros 3. When I visited in 2005, she fell in love with Warioware Twisted and left *strong* hints that she wanted something like that from my brother and I. We couldn't afford it. Not an $80 GBA SP and a $30 game... but somehow we got them two DS lites and some games? Yeah, seems weird to me too.

So, while she was visiting last, she played a little Nintendogs, Trace Memory, Brain Age, etc, but she played so little of each that I don't know which truely interrested her. We packed in Brain Age and Elite Beat Agents for them.

I thought that she'd probably want something a little deeper... more "intellectual," so when I nabbed Hotel Dusk Room 215 for $23.38, I grabbed a second copy for her and sent it off (without ever having played it). I think those three cover a lot of what the DS offers other than old-skool platformers (NSMB) and off-putting console-style games (Mario Kart DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario 64 DS, etc). I held off on including a $9.99 copy of Metroid Prime Pinball I got just to let her focus on those for a little while (it would distract from the "gold").

Now, my brother think Hotel Dusk is entirely inappropriate for an older person out-of-touch with gaming, while I believe that it's not rooted in traditional gaming at all (that type of game has always been for the "non-gamer types"). I think that another game showcasing alternate uses for the DS and it's experience is perfect. He says that he intended to send it after a few months, when she would be more accustomed to the DS and ready for something new. I just don't want her initial impression to be Brain Age should she ignore Elite Beat Agents (I'm sure the initial set of songs will turn her off).

I guess I should have pointed out that we are trying to "convert" her with the DS, but it's probably obvious by this point. ;) That's why we are considering everything so carefully.

So yeah, is Hotel Dusk Room 215 too much too soon, or something that makes a decent first impression? My DS chargers are missing, so I've only played the first hour of the game and I just want to shut my twin brother up.

CZroe on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If she enjoys a good mystery and good art, she should be hooked. It's not that hard of a game as far as adventure games go.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    My brother is pissed that I just sent Hotel Dusk to my sister. Should he be?

Here's the situation. My sister is not a gamer. She's an artsy "intellectual" that works at a museum and is constantly back in college working on some other achievement. She comes from a VERY different past full of mistakes and drugs and what not, so it's not like this defines her. She's a cool older Cali chick and certainly not a nerd. Her daughter (my niece) is in her early twenties now and they are living together... they behave more like sisters (my sister still looks and acts "young"). We actually sent them each a DS lite.

Without spoiling anything, I think she'll get a kick out of this once she gets deeper into the story. She sounds like she could have been a character in the game . . .

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772