Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

And I want my scalps! - Inglourious Basterds (now with SPOILERS)

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done Worse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's a Tarantino flick and not bad by any means.

It is not the standard summer action movie it was advertised as and the story is not especially good for a Tarantino flick.

Trogg wrote: »
    Not as positive as AIDS and cancer, but positive nonetheless.

PSN: QuipFilter
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Wow this movie had a lot of talking in it. Goddamn I hate people sitting around shootin' the shit. I hate doing it in real life and I hate it in mai movies. I walked out of the bar scene to take a break. All other parts, (and I mean all of them) were awesome. But that part was a whole lotta tedious nothing.

Don't ever invite me drinking.

Also, I was cackling like a motherfucker when the fire started.

Tarentino is probably not your director in this case. He loves to have characters sit around and shoot the shit. I actually love that about him because his dialogue is a joy to listen to but if it's not your thing then all of his movies are going to have a fair amount of "dead space" for you.

I liked the movie quite a bit. It wasn't any deep meaningful experience but it was well shot, well acted and the story was good enough excuse to watch horrible things happen to nazi's for a couple hours.

Christoph Waltz stole the movie for me. Just an absolute joy to watch him screw with people.

I appreciate the shooting the shit in this film because it all happened under incredibly horrific circumstances, with tons and tons of tension underlying it.

Case in point, from Chapter One:
    Spoiler:

All of the "talky" scenes in the movie were like that for me - incredibly tense, and in a lot of ways more dramatic than the out and out action.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    I liked it. A friend of mine thought it was miserably bad, because he didn't see the point in it. I tried to explain that the point I saw in it was to show a view of how horrible the Nazis were. How slimy and horrendous of a people they were, even the ones that were relatable. The single German character that is even mildly relatable is Keller, who also ends up being a total douche. Thoughts?

3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Enjoyed the movie, but man, the middle could have used some cutting.

scale3nk0.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Caedere wrote: »
    All of the "talky" scenes in the movie were like that for me - incredibly tense, and in a lot of ways more dramatic than the out and out action.

I LOVED the bar scene. I loved all the conversations. This isn't just people shooting the shit, it's verbal chess. Someone knows something or suspects something and they're trying to get the other guy to either let it slip or just outright give it away.

And like I said earlier, Waltz's character was MASTERFUL. Like a spider wearing a human's skin, drawing people just far enough into his web before he gets exactly what he's looking for.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    musanman wrote: »
    This movie was really cool. If you didn't like the Kill Bills you wouldn't enjoy it even a little though, because he uses many of the same camera angles, music, and pacing.

Kill Bill's different parts fit together much better than this.
    I agree. I just got back from seeing it, and Inglourious Basterds felt really aimless and confused up until the end. I still enjoyed the movie, but it's definitely my least favorite Tarantino film. Ending was really good though.

• gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    No way I can convince my gf to see this movie... :(

Get a new gf.

If breaking up with girls over a movie was so easy :P But have no fear her friend wants to see it so we may all watch it together next weekend!!

big l wrote: »
    $5 says gigEsmalls never responds to this excellent post.
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I LOVED the bar scene. I loved all the conversations. This isn't just people shooting the shit, it's verbal chess. Someone knows something or suspects something and they're trying to get the other guy to either let it slip or just outright give it away.

And like I said earlier, Waltz's character was MASTERFUL. Like a spider wearing a human's skin, drawing people just far enough into his web before he gets exactly what he's looking for.

I about shit myself when he ordered a glass of milk at the restaurant.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User
    edited August 2009
    I liked it. A friend of mine thought it was miserably bad, because he didn't see the point in it. I tried to explain that the point I saw in it was to show a view of how horrible the Nazis were. How slimy and horrendous of a people they were, even the ones that were relatable. The single German character that is even mildly relatable is Keller, who also ends up being a total douche. Thoughts?

No, not at all. There were multiple instances of Nazis acting humane, perhaps moreso than some of the Basterds, without backstabbing. Hans Landa, no, but then again, the Bear Jew wasn't exactly hero quality (aside from the viewer's preconcieved delight at watching a Nazi's head busted in with a baseball bat).

The entire movie was about propaganda- some would say was propaganda- showing something that proports to be one thing, but is entirely eschewing reality in its favor. Almost every character proported to be someone else at some point in the film, at times concurrently with another character attempted the exact same deception. This is what made the varying scenes of lengthy dialog worthwhile, because it provided tension, and, in the end, an overarching theme.

Those Days Different.
  • hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heh
    Loved this film so, so much - especially the wonderful dialogue and over the top accents. Mike Myers was awesome

Now I want to play Wolfenstein

• TomaToma Registered User
    edited August 2009

I about shit myself when he ordered a glass of milk at the restaurant.

I actually thought the payoff for the tavern scene
    Spoiler:
    was bigger than the finale of the film. It didn't feel like any of the dialogue was wasted, and
    Spoiler:

Also, I liked how that even though the Basterds were only on screen 25% of the time, they had a presence the entire film. I don't know if I could see them put into the film any more, other than just more violence for the sake of violence.

tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User
    edited August 2009
    My Facebook status before I went to the movie was: going to see some bastards being inglorious and kill some Nazis.

I say this so its clear I was expecting a movie where I was able to enjoy the somewhat wanton slaughter of hilliariously bad people.

Instead I got an absolutely masterful work on what irrational hate does to people. A beautiful, poignant, piece about becoming a monster, when you fight monsters for too long. And most importantly an amazing reflection of the audience's own hates and ability to stereotype a perceived enemy.

I was a little disturbed by the amount of cheering in my theater at the end of the film.
    Spoiler:

I think there was a very strong message in Brad Pitt's desire to have the people he hated all wear the same uniform.

pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    verpakeyes wrote: »
    I was a little disturbed by the amount of cheering in my theater at the end of the film.
    Spoiler:

That one, with the sudden casualness of it, looked like it was shot for laughs.

edited August 2009
    I thought that, if he had gone a little further, Tarantino could have done something really interesting by making the audience cheer when the Bastards do horrible unjustifiable things to their enemies, just because it's happening to Nazis. I got that vibe at a few points, and if he had gone farther with it the movie could have been a pretty cool social experiment kinda thing.

• verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Kaputa wrote: »
    I thought that, if he had gone a little further, Tarantino could have done something really interesting by making the audience cheer when the Bastards do horrible unjustifiable things to their enemies, just because it's happening to Nazis. I got that vibe at a few points, and if he had gone farther with it the movie could have been a pretty cool social experiment kinda thing.

I think he had one scene that was absolutely like this.
    Spoiler:

But In general I think I agree with you, THe whole movie long I couldn't tell if QT realized what he was doing. Sometimes he seemed to totally get it
    Spoiler:

And then the end scene( for example) would seem to indicate he didn't have a clue.

Most intellectually stimulating movie I have seen in well over a week!

pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    Because I sometimes miss things, it's been just pointed out to me Pitt's final line is probably Tarantino talking.
    Spoiler:

Should've realized it from everything I read before watching the movie.

• CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Wow this movie had a lot of talking in it. Goddamn I hate people sitting around shootin' the shit. I hate doing it in real life and I hate it in mai movies. I walked out of the bar scene to take a break. All other parts, (and I mean all of them) were awesome. But that part was a whole lotta tedious nothing.

Don't ever invite me drinking.

Also, I was cackling like a motherfucker when the fire started.

Tarentino is probably not your director in this case. He loves to have characters sit around and shoot the shit. I actually love that about him because his dialogue is a joy to listen to but if it's not your thing then all of his movies are going to have a fair amount of "dead space" for you.

I liked the movie quite a bit. It wasn't any deep meaningful experience but it was well shot, well acted and the story was good enough excuse to watch horrible things happen to nazi's for a couple hours.

Christoph Waltz stole the movie for me. Just an absolute joy to watch him screw with people.

I appreciate the shooting the shit in this film because it all happened under incredibly horrific circumstances, with tons and tons of tension underlying it.

Case in point, from Chapter One:
    Spoiler:

Exactly. Personally I find he's a bit hit and miss with those type of scenes (Grindhouse had me checking my watch a lot), but it absolutely worked here.

Incredible acting as well, and not just from Christoph Waltz and Brad Pitt.

GxewS.png
  • BehemothBehemoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just got back from this.

Best movie of the summer. I loved the bar scene.
    Spoiler:

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Just got back from this.

Best movie of the summer. I loved the bar scene.
    Spoiler:

I knew too
    Spoiler:

PSN: Toxic_Cizzle Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • jjbuck05jjbuck05 Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Fantastic movie, for all the reasons that have been stated.

My lone complaint is this:
    Spoiler:

• msh1283msh1283 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    verpakeyes wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »

I think he had one scene that was absolutely like this.
    Spoiler:

But In general I think I agree with you, THe whole movie long I couldn't tell if QT realized what he was doing. Sometimes he seemed to totally get it
    Spoiler:

And then the end scene( for example) would seem to indicate he didn't have a clue.

Most intellectually stimulating movie I have seen in well over a week!

He absolutely knew what he was doing. QT knows film and film theory and you can bet that there's not much in the movie that's unintentional.

Here's the main directorial themes/tricks I picked up on. Going to see it again soon so I can hopefully think on these some more and expand on the ideas
    Spoiler:

Also, the
    Spoiler:

• CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    msh1283 wrote: »
    Also, the
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

GxewS.png
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User
    edited August 2009
    A minor question about Aldo Raine's habits
    Spoiler:

I also had the same question about the milk.

Amazing movie, and like others, I loved the bar scene.

D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hyperpower wrote: »
    Heh
    Loved this film so, so much - especially the wonderful dialogue and over the top accents. Mike Myers was awesome

Now I want to play Wolfenstein

I want to play Wolfenstein after seeing this too. I wish that game had turned out better than mediocre. But man that movie. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Not the best of the summer, but it's up there.

steam_sig.png
  • No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User
    edited August 2009
    It was Snuff that he was sniffing.

• tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It was alright. I thought the Basterds plot really dragged it down though, I think it would have been a fantastic movie without them.

Although Brad Pitt was pretty entertaining he didn't make up for how awful Eli Roth was.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Bullied BatRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I caught this last night with a couple of friends. The theater cheered and clapped several times, including every single time Brad Pitt opened his mouth. Who'd have thought Nazi brutality could unite so many people together?

But yeah, movie was awesome, despite a really long, Tarintino-tentious middle. I would've liked to see more Basterd hijinks and a shorter chapter with the french woman, but the payoff was more than worth it. I consider this Tarintino's best movie, and Brad Pitt needs an oscar for his role.
    Spoiler:

edited August 2009
    An Oscar, really?

edited August 2009
    Because he wasn't that good.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Bullied BatRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    It was alright. I thought the Basterds plot really dragged it down though, I think it would have been a fantastic movie without them.

Although Brad Pitt was pretty entertaining he didn't make up for how awful Eli Roth was.

...what?! Eli Roth was basically the best part. That sneering grin he has during the "briefing" is fucking fantastic.

3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Because I sometimes miss things, it's been just pointed out to me Pitt's final line is probably Tarantino talking.
    Spoiler:

Should've realized it from everything I read before watching the movie.
    Which is weird to me, since I liked both Kill Bills, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Death Proof more than this.

• Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User
    edited August 2009
    jjbuck05 wrote: »

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

theincidentsig.jpg
  • TomaToma Registered User
    edited August 2009
    So, just read a summary of the (pre?)Cannes version ending...
    Spoiler:

Not sure how true that is, but wonder if they'll include it in extras if that is how it went down.

tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jjbuck05 wrote: »

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

JKKaAGp.png
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think I'll be going to see this on tuesday.

Being walkers with the dawn and morning,
    Walkers with the sun and morning, we are not afraid of night,
    Nor days of gloom, nor darkness -
    Being walkers with the sun and morning.
  • Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Where does this movie fall on the Quentin Tarantino Movie Violence scale?

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Where does this movie fall on the Quentin Tarantino Movie Violence scale?
    Spoiler:

JKKaAGp.png
  • Grendel72Grendel72 Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Loved it.
    The whole revenge/propaganda thing was awesome, but one thing I found amusing that I haven't seen mentioned:
    Spoiler: