As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Identify an Old Animated Show/Movie!

Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I remember watching this when I was a kid; it could be a movie cut into sections for viewing on TV or it could be separate episodes of a show. I am pretty sure it was anime dubbed into english, but it could be western (I don't think so, mostly because of subject matter). Also, the descriptions that follow could be from two unconnected shows, but I am pretty sure it was related.

The basic idea, I think, was that there were humans on a spacecraft (name unknown) on their way to a planet where they would be safe - maybe cured of some disease, or just in the sense that they would have a place to live. I know there was a young boy on the ship, not with his parents, I think, but looked after by a paternal figure (who may have been a robot). I think the boy wore a lot of clothing (as though he was bundled up against the cold), but I'm not sure about that.

I'd swear that the planet they were headed to was called Cybertron, but I was really into transformers at the time and I might have mis-heard it or simply overwritten the name in my head.

The biggest plot segment I can recall involved the ship setting down on a planet, I think to rescue people whose ship had crashed. Eventually it is revealed that something called the Medusa Cloud exists on the planet; it's a sort of fast-moving fog that turns everything within it to stone. I'm not sure whether or not the Medusa Cloud was intelligent. The main ship manages to escape and is not turned to stone, but I think that the captain of the crashed ship stays behind and is turned to stone.

That's all I've got. Anyone got any ideas? This has been bugging me for the last couple of days but I don't seem to have enough information to figure it out.

Should have been a rock star.
Arch Guru XX on

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Maybe Thundersub? It sounds vaguely like it.

http://www.x-lair.com/anime/thundersub.html

http://thundersubhq.50webs.com/index.htm

Edit: Just to give you an indication why I think it is Thundersub
    X-LAIR wrote:
    At the end of the series Thundersub and Tempest Junior split up to destroy enemy bases at the North and South pole. The bases are being developed to change the Earth atmosphere into an atmosphere that is breathable by aliens and poisonous to humans. The Rocketcopter, also a part of Thundersub, is send to the Sahara to destroy a third alien base. Thundersub is successful, but Tempest Junior is almost captured. Captain Brogan sacrifices himself to destroy the net which is holding Tempest Junior.

Invisible on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Galaxy Express 999?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185339/
    IMDB wrote:
    The intergalactic passenger train, GE 999, makes a routine stop at a planet allowing passengers Maetel, a worldly woman in black, and Tetsuro, her young orphan charge, to investigate a recent disaster that had befallen the planet, the petrification (turning to stone) of its entire population caused by a traveling `fossil cloud' from space. The two encounter the planet's sole survivor, Urius, a military pilot who'd flown into space to investigate the cloud and became the only one to escape its effects. Urius fights Tetsuro and steals his GE999 pass, which he wants to use to find a new body for his petrified wife, Deijya. While he fends off Tetsuro's attempt to get back the pass he must also take on the gang of `fossil bandits' who have come to steal the stone bodies including that of Deijya. Tetsuro sides with Urius but eventually the two must have a showdown over the pass. Since both have good causes, the audience is sympathetic to both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Express_999
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The story of Galaxy Express 999 is set in a space-faring, high-tech future, where mechanized people with "machine bodies" are pushing humanity towards irrelevance and extinction. A street urchin named Tetsuro Hoshino desperately wants an indestructible machine body, giving him the ability to live forever and have the freedom that the poor humans on Earth don't have. While machine bodies are impossibly expensive, they are supposedly given away for free on the planet Andromeda, the end of the line for the space train Galaxy Express 999 (Technology has advanced to the point where space-faring vehicles can assume any shape, such as the classical locomotive in the story.).

I think the key question here is, was their space ship a giant train?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Definitely Galaxy Express 999. Nicely done, Orogogus!

Mods, feel free to lock this.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
This discussion has been closed.