As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The One Piece thread : Luffy vs Goku Chess match of the century!

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Speaking of, does anybody really really like Helmeppo and Coby?

You can relate with them much more easily than any of the Straw Hats, I think they need their own show.

Greeper on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh hey thread is back again. And yeah, I like em; they both got a lot cooler after the joined the marines, especially Helmeppo. Goddamn he was annoying.

Question, since I'm only up to Arabasta: are all the covers arcs, uh, covered in the anime? I wanna see Wapol's Omnivorous Hurrah animated.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Greeper wrote: »

You can relate with them much more easily than any of the Straw Hats, I think they need their own show.

I like how they've been treated.

As characters ?
    I think eventually Luffy and Coby will be in a situation like Garp and Roger. It began with Coby and Luffy( technically) I think it'll end with them.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh hey thread is back again. And yeah, I like em; they both got a lot cooler after the joined the marines, especially Helmeppo. Goddamn he was annoying.

Question, since I'm only up to Arabasta: are all the covers arcs, uh, covered in the anime? I wanna see Wapol's Omnivorous Hurrah animated.

Nope. Only the first two. Apparently the audience would rather take subpar filler with Luffy than Oda-created storylines without.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I've already figured out that Franky and Bon clay have the same voice actor, but do any other One Piece characters share a voice actor? I'm really curious because..
    Sentoumaru, that fat guy/girl lookin person at Saboady that starts beatin up luffy. His/her voice sounds very similar to luffy's.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »

Nope. Only the first two. Apparently the audience would rather take subpar filler with Luffy than Oda-created storylines without.

:(

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Yah, it is dissappointing. Would be nice if they would go back and animate those when they need filler rather then the random shit they have been doing. Ancient japan detective luffy? What the fuck was that?

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Odd Couple!

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I want to see Hatchan's undersea voyage...

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Next episode is 415, correct?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    & the Knights& the Knights Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So it looks like the spoilers which were fake aren't fake.

Full details of the chapter, supposedly confirmed.
    The story starts out with Oars rampaging through the marines.
    He's about to break through their defence line.
    The giant marines say how they usually fight looking down, they've never fought looking UP
    They charge in to Oars Jr, but can't stop him.

Oars breaks through their defences, and the pirates follow him into the bay
    The first pirates to break through charges at Hancock, but she turns them all into stone
    She attacks with Aroma Kicks (Nja didn't provide with furigana, so we don't know what the
    move is really called, Aroma Kick is from the kanji)
    And the stoned pirates shatter into pieces.
    However, some marines got caught in the fray and shattered as well.
    Marines are questioning if she's going to turn against them.
    Hancock replies, she agreed to fight Whitebeard, but you men are all still my enemies.
    Well, other than "that man". You have to realize that. Forgive me... for my beauty.
    Marines become lovelydovey

The unstoppable Oars comes right next to Whitebeard
    Whitebeard advises him that bravery and wanting to die is a different thing.
    Oars Jr asks him (politely) to understand him, he just wants to save Ace as soon as possible

Whitebeard orders his men to support Oars, but Oars takes focused fire by the marines due to his size
    Still he gets to the square where Ace is held, but Kuma attacks him with Ursa Shock, and Oars is badly damaged.
    He has a huge kasa on his back, but that falls onto the sea.
    Oars stairs at it, as the scene goes to flashback....

Ace: Because you're closer to the sun, I'll give you this kasa!
    Ace's crew: Because he's fire, he burned this thing up twice while attempting to make it... take care of it!
    The kasa kept him from getting wet in rain, and stopped snow from gathering around him.

Oars gets back on his feet, to save the gentle hearted Ace
    To at least take out one Shichibukai....
    He attacks DoFlamingo, but DoFlamingo casually dodges it, and flies up in the sky.
    He jumps to around Oars Jr's head, then cuts off his right leg. (with a powerful unseen string?)
    Oars falls down, but he tries to reach out to grab Ace
    Moria: Damn that bastard Doflamingo!! I told him I wanted his corpse, but he goes and cuts off his leg!!
    He creates a long spear made of shadow, and stabs Oars in the heart.

The chapter ends as Oars Jr die.

....we have confirmed named-character death number 4, and lots of fodder characters actually dead too?

Full Spoilers
    pic 1
    Nami’s Weather Report vol.1
    Business at the legendary sky island of Weatheria

pic 2
    Pirates: The giant squad is coming! They are going for Little Oars Jr!
    Uwaaaaa!!!

Giant 1: Looking up at someone… is a new experience for me.
    Giant 2: Yeah agreed.
    Giant 1: It’s our job to stop that thing!
    Marine: He size is unbelievable! It’s way beyond the normal of a giant race!
    Marine: Keep shooting!! It’s still a human, it should have effect on him!

pic 3
    Little Oars Jr: Ow…
    Ace: Don’t, Oars!! With your size, you’re just gonna be a target for them!!
    LOJr: Ace-kun!!! I’m coming for you!!!

pic 4
    *all screams*

pic 5
    Pirates: Oars created an opening to the bay!! Follow him!!

pic 6
    Pirates: Charge in to the bay!!
    VA 1: This isn’t good! Retreat, and strengthen the defence line at the bay!!
    Do not let them get to the plaza at all cost!!

Marine: Vice Admiral Laclau!!

Whitebeard: Damn it Oars, A hero is not the same as someone seeking death.

pic 7

LOJr: Please don’t stop me pops! I want to save him, as soon as possible!! I want to save Ace-kun!!!
    Whitebeard: I know…!! You guys, wipe his ass for him! Support Oars!!!
    crew: Yeah!!!

pic 8
    Marine: How are we supposed to fight something this big!?
    pirate: You better pay attention to us also, or we’ll crush you!
    Hancock: Slave Arrow!!

pic 9
    Pirates: whoa… what happened to you guys?
    pirates: You’re the Pirate Empress, aren’t you!?
    pirates: wha…. my body… shattered

pic 10
    oh god, the pic is too blurry to read the furigana.
    her aroma kick has a long foreign name to it

pic 11
    marine: ….!! Damn you, you even attacked us marines…!!
    Hancock: I agreed to fight “Whitebeard”, but…. I did not say I will become your ally.
    To me, all men are the same whether they are enemies or ally. Other than “him”…
    I want you to consider me keeping our promise under this condition.
    Marine: What!?
    Hancock: Please… for my beauty?
    Marine: Damn… that… woman…. (trying to fight of temptation)
    pic 12
    Kuma: Ursa Shock!!!

pic 13
    Marines: Whoaaaa!
    Ace: Oars!!!!

pic 14
    Ace: Stop!! You won’t reach here!!

flashback
    Oars: What’s this?
    Ace: I learned how to make this in the country of Wano. Try it on!
    You’re closer to the sun

Ace’s crew: Ace messed it up twice while making it. They burned up!
    That’s what he gets for sewing straw, when he’s made out of fire himself!

Oars: Wow… this is much cooler!
    Ace: Well that’s good!

back to present time

Marines: Aim at Oars!!!

page 15
    flashback
    Oars: I don’t get wet in rain anymore….
    Oars’s crew: Captain Oars, why are you outside?
    Oars: I like this!

pirates: Oars!
    pirates: I knew it, he’s a target practice!!
    Oars: I need to take out at least one Shichibukai…..
    Doflamingo: Hm?

page 16
    Doflamingo: Heh heh heh heh….

flashback
    Oars’ crew: Captain… why are you outside again
    Oars: The snow won’t pile on me anymore… it’s not cold anymore!
    I really like this!

page 17
    Doflamingo: This is FUN! Heh heh heh!!!

page 18
    Ace: Oars!!!
    marines: he got to the plaza!!
    Oars: I’m almost there….
    Moria; Damn that Doflamingo! I told him I wanted his corpse, and he goes and cuts off his leg!!
    Go!

page 19
    Moria: Tsuno-Tokage!! (Horned Lizard!!)

& the Knights on
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Next episode is 415, correct?
    Yeah. It's going to be the first Funimation simulcast, as long as they don't screw up again...

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    risumon wrote: »

Yah, it is dissappointing. Would be nice if they would go back and animate those when they need filler rather then the random shit they have been doing. Ancient japan detective luffy? What the fuck was that?

The benefits are obvious. I suspect they'll make a OAV out of most of them though.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Almost through the Arabasta Arc (I think).
    They just hit up Alubarna and got past Baroque Works with the bluff to get into the city. Folks are pairing off for fights and it looks like awesome shit is about to go down.

Also, Sanji is all kinds of awesome with the Mr. Prince thing.

Edit: Holy shit, Usopp and the "5t" hammer are amazing.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Almost through the Arabasta Arc (I think).
    They just hit up Alubarna and got past Baroque Works with the bluff to get into the city. Folks are pairing off for fights and it looks like awesome shit is about to go down.

Also, Sanji is all kinds of awesome with the Mr. Prince thing.

Edit: Holy shit, Usopp and the "5t" hammer are amazing.
    Oh man, I love that part.

Truly, he is a master of psychological warfare.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    After reading the spoilers for this chapter and seeing the two pictures, I want Luffy to punch Donflamningo's face in hard.

Don't know why really.

Haven't felt that way since Bellamy, and since that guy was an underling to him, the apple couldn't fall far from the tree.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

The benefits are obvious. I suspect they'll make a OAV out of most of them though.

Actually, wouldn't that come back and bite them in the ass? I mean, don't Jango and Fullbody show up near the end of Arabasta? If it's not explained how Jango ended up in the Marines, it'd be a bit weird seeing him again.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Actually, wouldn't that come back and bite them in the ass? I mean, don't Jango and Fullbody show up near the end of Arabasta? If it's not explained how Jango ended up in the Marines, it'd be a bit weird seeing him again.

They're well past that point. It has screwed them since most of the characters have resurfaceds

The newest cover galleries will have episodes though so they are giving it another go.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    After reading the spoilers for this chapter and seeing the two pictures, I want Luffy to punch Donflamningo's face in hard.

Don't know why really.

Haven't felt that way since Bellamy, and since that guy was an underling to him, the apple couldn't fall far from the tree.
    i'd argue that doflamingo is the most evil person in the one piece universe so far

he wants to DESTROY ALL DREAMS

the very FOUNDATION of the one piece world!

Rust on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Rust wrote: »

Don't know why really.

i'd argue that doflamingo is the most evil person in the one piece universe so far

he wants to DESTROY ALL DREAMS

the very FOUNDATION of the one piece world!
    But isn't that the reason why he killed Bellamy? Because he wouldn't listen to others?

I just think he looks like a douche.

Yeah, I know you gotta be pretty pimp to pull off an ensemble like that, but the haircut screams Bellamy, and makes me want to beat seven shades of custard out of his face.

Godfather on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought he just killed him for being a loser.

And he was bored.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Also an acceptable cause!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So I'm on the Water 7 arc and:
    just saw the fight between Luffy and Usopp. Woah. Woah. Woah.

That's some good storytelling.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Greeper you are now required to give us on-the-moment updates on said arc.

Godfather on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Don't know why really.

Well, given how much Oda’s set him up, I really hope there’s a giant battle with him (separate from the Whitebeard war) at some point. If he ends up as a casualty on the sidelines of the war I’ll feel shortchanged.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    asdfas dfasdfasdf water7
    Franky's a badass! If I hadn't known already he's going to join the strawhats, I WOULD HAVE GUESSED HE'D JOIN THE STRAWHATS. Seriously, seriously badass. I mean, singing? DANCING? GIANT AIR CANNON?

I like how Nami was like: "but surely the technology for a cyborg cannot exist yet." she's always been a bit too smart for her own good.

I saw Nico Robin being behind Iceburg's attempted murder, though. Saw that coming a while off. Looks like the Luffy crew's got a lot to do: Find CP9, whatever that is, and kick it's ass. Get Usopp back OR PERHAPS AN IMPROVED VRS WITH MASK AND CAPE?, get Franky on their side, and convince the crew they're innocent and survive that super duper high tide that's coming in.

I love this show.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This would be a perfect time to post the Franky bio

If Word didn't lock down on me

Godfather on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man your mind is going to be blown Greeper.

The following arc is one of those things I wish I could forget so I could read it fresh every time.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I kind of wish Oda would teach a class on manga storytelling in Japan somewhere

So many people could benefit from this

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What. What. What.
    Nico Robin's just being coerced or something.

RIGHT? RIGHT?! This is the same as Nami.

But it doesn't feel like it.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh God, how fast are you moving through this Greeper :lol:

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    NOT FAST ENOUGH!

Greeper on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And I'm still stuck back on skypia *which is ok so far*

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    oh god the look on Sanji's face.

:'(

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Are you on Enel yet?

Skypeia also had the best comic relief gags.

Godfather on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are you on Enel yet?

Skypeia also had the best comic relief gags.

campfire episode...wherever that is in it.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Come on you can do it

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

That is the best fight in the entirety of the series.

If you're just reading, you have to see the animated version.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

For some reason, the fight which stands out in the anime for me (this is slightly after where Greeper is, so spoilers)
    Is the Bleuno fight.

I think it's because it's the first time we get to see Gear Second, but that fight just stands out to be as being nifty for some reason

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »

For some reason, the fight which stands out in the anime for me (this is slightly after where Greeper is, so spoilers)
    Is the Bleuno fight.

I think it's because it's the first time we get to see Gear Second, but that fight just stands out to be as being nifty for some reason
    Bleuno's ability also makes a lot more sense when you see it animated. It's really weird and creative when you think about it.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
This discussion has been closed.