As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The One Piece thread : Luffy vs Goku Chess match of the century!

• khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    How old are your friends?

Narutoland is boring as fuck.

and it sucks

if you're not a ninja your life is shit, you're either cannon fodder or some slaving peasant

not to mention the inconsistent technology

How exactly is any of that different than One Piece? I find OP to be a far more fascinating universe than Naruto, but both those complaints apply to both worlds.

khain on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    khain wrote: »

and it sucks

if you're not a ninja your life is shit, you're either cannon fodder or some slaving peasant

How exactly is any of that different than One Piece? I find OP to be a far more fascinating universe than Naruto, but both those complaints apply to both worlds.

op's technology is consistent from island to island, they're each a self-contained world in themselves

and the general populace seems to be well-off for the most part, we just tend to see them at the worst possible times (so that luffy can punch whatever's making them miserable)

Rust on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

and it sucks

The Water 7 shipwrights disagree with you

Same goes for Skypeians

and Arabasta

and and and

Godfather on
    edited October 2009
    the dbz world would be even worse if death wasn't presented as a temporary inconvenience

"oh fuddy-duddy, the continent blew up again, and here i'd just put out the wash"

that and you can store dinosaurs in capsules which is fuckin sweeeeet

Rust on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Spectre wrote: »
    4Kids pretty much ruined any chance of One Piece being really popular in America.

My roommates were talking about how cool it would be to live in the Naruto universe, and I said I would rather live in One Piece land. One of them was like "that show sucks, man", having only seen the terrible dub on CN. Maybe I'll remedy that one day...

It's an upward battle, but I've gotten two of my friends to start reading the manga. One's gotten kinda-sorta stuck in Skypeia, but with the absolute retardedness of last week's manga chapter for Naruto, he said he's going to take my word for it that it gets much better and push through Skypeia.

The other one is doing it as a deal where if he reads it and catches up, I'll give Negima a shot.

The things I do for you people :(

Negima's okay once you slog through the first few books where the guy had to pretend it was still a harem comedy.

Still plenty of inappropriate fanservice, but I get the feeling it's by executive mandate or something.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As soon as this thread is over I am going to make a OP covering things we are not to discuss.

1) Haki

2) Translating special words

3) Bitching about certain crewmate possibilities

Every one of these arguments get old fast.

So discussions of the precise mechanics by which one could drink a multiple-devil fruit smoothie are kosher then, good to know.

Yougottawanna on
    edited October 2009
    There's a girl at my school who is smitten with the Dragon Ball manga.

Not Z, just the original.

I cannot for the life of me get her to read this series, even though the entire thing is right up her alley.

I've pretty much given up.

Godfather on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

There is no Z manga. The content in Z is still just part of "Dragonball" in the manga.

Jragghen on
    edited October 2009
    Kid Goku was when the DBZ fights were still kind of unpredictable and fun. :(

Pureauthor on
    edited October 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »

There is no Z manga. The content in Z is still just part of "Dragonball" in the manga.

Yes, I know, it's just a hell of a lot easier to type than "that part right after the timeskip but not really since it happens when Raditz arrives."

Godfather on
    edited October 2009

and it sucks

Same goes for Skypeians

and Arabasta

and and and

Maybe my memory is a little fuzzy but I seem to recall Arabasta getting completely fucked over by a government agent, Skypeia is also screwed by the equivalent of the government, and Water 7 is probably the best place, but CP9 kind of ruins that. Sabaody archipelago shows that the world nobles can do pretty much whatever the fuck they want including slavery and killing anyone they choose. Robin's past shows that the WG is willing to wipe islands off the map to protect itself and what we've seen of most pirate crews is pretty bad as well. I'm not saying that everyone is fucked, but if you aren't part of one of the world powers you're at the mercy of them, which is pretty much identical to Naruto. This is in addition to most towns getting trashed by luffy and company.

khain on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well it is the age of pirates.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited October 2009

and it sucks

Same goes for Skypeians

and Arabasta

and and and

Maybe my memory is a little fuzzy but I seem to recall Arabasta getting completely fucked over by a government agent, Skypeia is also screwed by the equivalent of the government, and Water 7 is probably the best place, but CP9 kind of ruins that. Sabaody archipelago shows that the world nobles can do pretty much whatever the fuck they want including slavery and killing anyone they choose. Robin's past shows that the WG is willing to wipe islands off the map to protect itself and what we've seen of most pirate crews is pretty bad as well. I'm not saying that everyone is fucked, but if you aren't part of one of the world powers you're at the mercy of them, which is pretty much identical to Naruto. This is in addition to most towns getting trashed by luffy and company.

crocodile was an independent actor, skypeia was being terrorized by someone completely divorced from authority (and reality), and the buster call is only used once every few decades, if that

all signs say that the world government isn't that oppressive so long as you stay the fuck away from the nobles, it's just that luffy and his crew are constantly tunneling into the most corrupted parts of it

Rust on
    edited October 2009
    They got screwed over by a master manipulator made of living sand, during a bloody Civil War.

Skypeians got fucked over by a God made of lightning. Lightning! The Shandian warriors were pretty boss, and if it wasn't for Enel and his intangibility they might have stood a chance.

People in Water 7 are rough, and could dish away pirates on a regular basis.

Shabony Archipelago is right next door to Marine Headquarters.

Your arguement doesn't hold enough weight.

Godfather on
    edited October 2009
    Doesn't the fact that these sort of people exist, and operate pretty much without reprisal unless another independant entity that happens to be both stronger and possessed of a sense of justice shows up... sorta prove his point that life there has problems?

Pureauthor on
    edited October 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Doesn't the fact that these sort of people exist, and operate pretty much without reprisal unless another independant entity that happens to be both stronger and possessed of a sense of justice shows up... sorta prove his point that life there has problems?

the one piece world's far from idyllic

it's just not as shitty as naruto's world

Rust on
    edited October 2009
    And much more interesting.

Doodmann on
    edited October 2009
    Now in the Bleach world, if you aren't a Captain or an Espada you're completely useless.

Godfather on
    edited October 2009
    Now in the Bleach world, if you aren't a Captain or an Espada you're completely useless.

and if you're a non-ranking inhabitant of soul society no one even knows what the hell you are really

better off? worse off? are you in purgatory or what? nobody knows!

Rust on
    edited October 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »

the one piece world's far from idyllic

it's just not as shitty as naruto's world

Can you provide examples from the manga that show how shitty it is, because I'm seeing the exact same basic structure where if you aren't protected by someone with power, which in Naruto are ninjas and more likely one of the countries while in One Piece it's normally someone with a devil fruit or one of the major organizations, you're highly likely to get screwed over at least from the view point of the manga. I've already provided examples from OP and Naruto has an example from the previous manga arc and the only major difference I see is that in Naruto people actually die, which seems to be more of a choice by the author.

Godfather: Maybe the whole thing is overstated since I think Rust's original quote is exaggeration, but I'm failing to see how you dismissed anything since the basic person in OP or Naruto is fucked if he isn't protected and sometimes it doesn't even matter then.

khain on
    edited October 2009
    I am way too tired to argue over this shit.

Godfather on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How about we all agree that no matter which shonen series you're a resident of, you're better off than you would be living in Berserk's world.

Jragghen on
    edited October 2009
    Or Warhammer 40K's galaxy*.

*Unless your name is Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!

Pureauthor on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is how every week in the OP thread goes.

Monday-Tuesday (Spoilers are released)...wall to wall spoilers. Shit gets real, predictions, etc. Dies down by late Thursday.

Thursday-Friday (Nothing) More speculation. Some people talking about the anime. Crazier speculation and general mechanics of the OP universe are discussed without ending.

Saturday Almost no traffic until the anime is released on the funi site around 10:00pm EST. Then people talk about the episode, the art style, and how many times they needed to restart the player.

Sunday-Until Spoilers Come Out Random bullshit theorizing. Nakama conversation is most likely to occur here, comparison to other anime/manga also common.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited October 2009
    And we wouldn't have it any other way.

Pureauthor on
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Clearly we need a day just for talking about Enel

NeoToma on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thursday was named after Thor, Enel has an attack named after Thor.

I nominate Thorsday to be the Enel Discussion Day.

Greeper on
    edited October 2009
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Clearly we need a day just for talking about Enel

Remember the Sabbath, and keep it Holy

Godfather on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They got screwed over by a master manipulator made of living sand, during a bloody Civil War.

Skypeians got fucked over by a God made of lightning. Lightning! The Shandian warriors were pretty boss, and if it wasn't for Enel and his intangibility they might have stood a chance.

Screw the intangibility, they would've kicked his ass if not for
    his bullshit "I can restart my own heart even though I'm completely knocked out" ability.

Cantide on
  • CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Meet_the_Strawhats_by_G0069.jpg
    Nico Robin scares me.

Camui on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    She looks like she is in partial blackface.

Couscous on
    edited October 2009
    Cantide wrote: »

Screw the intangibility, they would've kicked his ass if not for
    his bullshit "I can restart my own heart even though I'm completely knocked out" ability.

Oh come on, that was awesome and you know it.

Godfather on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Forget Nico Robin, Chopper looks positively demonic.

I mean, at first you're like, "Aww, look at that smile! And he's wearing a doctor suit!"
    Then you notice the bonesaw D:D:D:

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Great idea, mediocre execution. Would like to see how Oda would draw up the strawhats/TF2 crossover. Strawhats/Star trek switcharoo would be neat too I think.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    Great idea, mediocre execution. Would like to see how Oda would draw up the strawhats/TF2 crossover. Strawhats/Star trek switcharoo would be neat too I think.

That picture fills me with a strange, undescribable joy.

I think it could only be better if Zoro was holding a shotgun in one arm, minigun in the other, and sandvich front and center.

Corp.Shephard on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shouldn't Sanji be the Spy?

What with his cigarette and spy-like escapades as Mr. Prince?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited October 2009
    Sanji should definitely be the spy

Doodmann on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would have figured that Zoro would be a scout with three bats.

Incenjucar on
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robin was introduced as an assassin, and has the most shady dealings of them all.

Besides, Sanji knows how to roast something just right...

Corp.Shephard on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, the only one that really kind of strikes me as odd is Nami as scout. I don't really know where she should go, though....

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.