As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Small flies are ruining my food :(

JeanJean Heartbroken papa bearGatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
More precisely, they are ruining my peaches. Is theyre anything I can use to make them go away from my delicious fruits?

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
Jean on

• Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    are they still on the tree? Are they aphids?

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No, those are peaches I bought from the grocery store actually.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Firstly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvcohzJvviQ

Secondly, how are you keeping your peaches? If you put some cloth or similar on them that can help a bit rather than leaving them exposed. The flies tend to like going for areas of the fruit that have been bruised or "injured" so they can burrow in and such. Keeping the peaches away from the sun can also help, as it may be attracting them (and they are more active when warm too).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are they fruit flies? Very tiny?

If so, it probably means you have a dirty kitchen. Clean. Especially your drains.

Otherwise, keep your fruit in the fridge.

Esh on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Put some orange juice or red wine vinaigrette in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and poke holes in it with a toothpick. Fruit flies check in, but they can't leave and end up dessicated acidic corpses to serve as a warning to others.

And clean your kitchen. Boiling water down the sink may help if there isn't another obvious source of food for them. Can't hurt to refrigerate the peaches, either.

TL DR on
  • Options
    perspexacityperspexacity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've only had this problem with fruit that's starting to go off.

Well, that and the time I thought it would be cool to keep a slice of the tree my father had recently chopped. In a bag. Hanging off a hook over my bed. Over my head. Ugh. Bad childhood memories.

perspexacity on
    "I will cut out the part you most desire."