Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

West Coast Train Trip 2009: Director's Cut

TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in PAX Archive
Greetings Fellow Traingoers!
The last thread was getting rather long and important information lost in the many pages. Seeing as Transparent won’t be updating the original post, I have created a new thread to update some of the vital information that people will need to know about the West Coast Train Trip this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJToC7jlvB8

What it is
For those of you just joining us, the West Coast Train Trip, or "PAXTrain" for short, is a coordinated effort for PAX-goers to ride the same train at the same time going up the western coast of the United States - both as an alternative to driving or flying, and to enjoy an intimate "mini-convention".

Why the train?
Ask anyone who's flown, driven and taken the train up - the train was the best experience. We don't care if you're new - this ain't no private party, and all people going to PAX are welcome. We didn't even know anyone else in 2007 and have become fast friends. We invite you to join us!

How to get on the PAXTrain
We are riding Train #14 - Coast Starlight departing September 2nd, 2009. from California. If you are in Chico, CA or north, get on the same train, but on September 3rd, 2009. We're going back on Train #11 - Coast Starlight departing September 7th.

PDF of the train schedule

The following is a courtesy list of standard coach prices for a round trip as of this posting. They have gone up quite a bit since the last thread was created and they’ll go up even more as the departure date nears.
Spoiler:

Some Informational links on the status of the train
Stuff You Need
You'll need to be prepared to survive on PAXTrain. Following is a list of stuff you probably should bring if you want to have a liveable experience on the rails.
Spoiler:

PAXtrain Gear
People's willingness to bring their expensive toys to share is part of what makes PAXtrain such an awesome experience. Please understand that if you are joining up any later than San Jose, it may not be "worth it" for the train trip. We need supplies on the front as early as possible. I have compiled a spreadsheet detailing who will be bringing what and where they get on the train. You can view and edit it here. If you are not sure what to bring here are some things we need.
Spoiler:

The PAXTrain Staff
I know that a small percentage of people have issue with an organized "PAXTrain Staff." There was some drama last year. "You are on a power trip and need to settle down." Please understand that to keep good relations with Amtrak and not have a bunch of people booted off the train in the middle of buttfuck nowhere we present the Amtrak Staff with a Face (or faces) who represents us a group. This helps keep the staff more at ease and provides everyone on both sides with a goto guy(or goto people) with whom they can speak if there is a problem. If any of the PAXTrain staff seems at any time to be rude or powertripping, please know that it is because we don't like being yelled at by Amtrak Staff, and yes Amtrak staff have on occasion asked PAXTrain staff to quell some problems that have come up. (noise, crowding the isle, hogging the obs deck, etc.)

The Rules
We have some rules on PAXTrain. They're simple. Don't sweat it. But if you break them we will be miffed and we'll find appropriate punishment for you. These rules mainly apply in Headquarters (the Arcade cars or obs deck) as that's where most of the magic happens.
Spoiler:

Booze
Amtrak now has a policy against outside alcohol on the train. They probably just want to sell more of the overpriced stuff in the snack bar. We won't tell you what to bring or not bring, but know that the risks / consequences of bringing alcohol are your own, as we aren't condoning private stashes this year. Openly drinking your own stuff in public areas is discouraged. If you choose to do so please do it discretely. If keeping it out of sight is a problem for you I would suggest that you check out these links

These sites offer a variety of inconspicuous covers for your beer cans
http://thebeermall.com/beercancovers.html
http://www.ezcom.com/hideabeer.htm

or if you would rather make a cover your self
http://www.instructables.com/id/Snea...Beer-Anywhere/

or . . . you could bring the brand of beer they sell on the train.

As for the other variety of beverage(aka hard stuff), just premix your drink of choice into a inconspicuous container before you board and you're set. We’re still not condoning it though.
Spoiler:

The Hot Spots - I'm Going off the Rails on this Crazy PAXTrain
The majority of all PAXTrain activities happen in two locations: The coach car with the arcade room (which will likely be the home of Rock Band), and the Obseravtion Deck (which will be designated as the Obs Deck or simply as Obs). These areas are beehives of activity and the "home" of most of our console systems. We'll have to play it by ear, balancing the use of the arcade cars and observation car between PAX goers and the rest of the passengers took a little doing last year.
Spoiler:

Events
We will be having the following events on PAXTrain:
Spoiler:

T-shirts
Tek is in charge of ordering and distributing PAXTrain T-shirts. They cost $10 each. Tek is no longer accepting new T-shirt orders so if you missed out, tough shit. Maybe you can convince some one else to give up their shirt . . . for a price, or be one of the lucky few to zerg rush Tek on the train to buy one of the few extras that were made.
tek wrote: »
No $10, no shirt.. In other words please be prepared . . . . . . I'll have SOME $10's for change, but please try to bring a ten dollar bill, instead of twenty..

Totals:39 Small:4 Medium:11 Large:9 XL:7+1 XXL:8 :: 1 Extra XL
Spoiler:

The Logo :: Shirt color - Smoke Grey
Spoiler:
HUGE props and thanks to Weenog's Significant Other for the artwork.
FYI: where the shirt says "put something here" it will say "West Coast Train Trip 2009"

Be sure to track our progress north
If you won't be joining us on the train or are waiting patiently for it to arrive in your area Tek has stolen an idea from CCST
Thanks too Google Latitude (apart of Google Maps), our trek northwards will be tracked..

I've put it up in the mean time with some position 'ambiguity', but come trip time I'll set it so it shows the best 'closest' location. If you have a cell phone that can run Google Maps, and a data plan.. I can include you on that page.

http://wctt.aurekx.net/

The CCST is also going to be using latitude to track their progress, Moe is working on how he wants to show it thou.

Feel free to PM me if I left anything out or need to make any changes.

TimeCruiserMike on
timecruisermikebanner450x79.png

• contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heads up on the shirt. Tek has confirmed this in the other thread but it will say West Coast Train Trip 2009 instead of Put Something Here.

PAX Prime 2014 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: ▬ Buttons:
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If the shirts shrink after being washed, put me down for a large shirt, if they stay around the same size, i'll take a medium.

SYSOP wrote: »

"The_Reflection has a story, that must be told"..."He is already a legend, and he ain't even old"
    "He can drink a river of blood and not burst"..."He can swallow a desert and never thirst"
  • tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If the shirts shrink after being washed, put me down for a large shirt, if they stay around the same size, i'll take a medium.

100% Cotton shirt.. Depending on how you wash and dry it, it might shrink.. :) Google can answer your questions as to how not to shrink a cotton shirt.. :P

• The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll go large then

SYSOP wrote: »

"The_Reflection has a story, that must be told"..."He is already a legend, and he ain't even old"
    "He can drink a river of blood and not burst"..."He can swallow a desert and never thirst"
    edited August 2009
    Some last minute additions here have brought the price back to my goal.. $10/shirt
    (And yes, for those of you that do the math, I am eating the tax)

No $10, no shirt.. In other words please be prepared. Now is the time to change your mind if $10 is not reasonable. I'll have SOME $10's for change, but please try to bring a ten dollar bill, instead of twenty..

For my sanity, when I go to bed tonight the list is locked. I'd say about 4 hours from now(2250).
    The order will be placed first thing tomorrow morning.

Full Breakdown: Setup/Side/Color $25, Per Shirt: $3.84, Print/Side(3 Colors): $3.80, Flash charge $0.50/Shirt.

Front Only, Centered, Big - $10/Shirt - $412.95(based on 40)

Teh List(so far): (last update: 8/23 2250)
    Totals:39 Small:4 Medium:11 Large:9 XL:7+1 XXL:8 :: 1 Extra XL
    Spoiler:

The Logo :: Shirt color - Smoke Grey
    Spoiler:
    HUGE props and thanks to Weenog's Significant Other for the artwork.

• Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Thanks a bunch for throwing me on the shirt list last-minute, tek!

Also wanted to mention that I'll be bringing along a plug-in hot water heater. It holds 2L at a time and heats fast, so if you want to smuggle some cup-noodle or ramen onboard to avoid the horrendous cafe prices, you'll have a source of hot water with which to make it.

Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh hai, new PAXtrain thread.

Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited August 2009

Also wanted to mention that I'll be bringing along a plug-in hot water heater. It holds 2L at a time and heats fast, so if you want to smuggle some cup-noodle or ramen onboard to avoid the horrendous cafe prices, you'll have a source of hot water with which to make it.

Is that safe? don't those draw a lot of amperage? could they trip a circuit?

PAX Prime 2014 Checklist
  • MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User
    edited August 2009
    contrefait wrote: »

As much as I love me a cuppa, I second these concerns.

Hi, new PAXTrain thread.

Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MoreGrease wrote: »

Hi, new PAXTrain thread.

Unless someone decides to pull out their welding equipment Amtrak doesn't really have to worry about our power consumption tripping their circuits.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Hi, new PAXTrain thread.

Unless someone decides to pull out their welding equipment Amtrak doesn't really have to worry about our power consumption tripping their circuits.

Worse case, you trip a local circuit only in that car...

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Hi, new PAXTrain thread.

Worse case, you trip a local circuit only in that car...

Actually I think the circuit breaker in the surge protector is built in so that doesn't happen. Plus if everything goes well we will be on Amtrak's monstrous 20-amp outlet.

steam_sig.png
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So will this thread have more blood and tits? Or just more swearing? It better have commentary at least...

edit for actual content: Can we get a link to the google roster of who's getting on where and bringing what?

fp4hy8vbapia.jpeg
    edited August 2009
    T-Shirt list is locked.

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, looks like I won't be bringing anyone else. :(

3DS: 5112-3515-8441 | PSN: Nezandy | XBL: Arikado PA | Origin: ArikadoPA
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | Twitter
  • EugalEugal Registered User
    edited August 2009
    wooo PAXTrain is only 9 or 10 days away!

• TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    So will this thread have more blood and tits? Or just more swearing? It better have commentary at least...

edit for actual content: Can we get a link to the google roster of who's getting on where and bringing what?

i already linked it in the OP . . . maybe i should make it bigger, and for your convenience .. . i'll link it here as well
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkuKVD3HVYB0dFVWUzdTUVhyVUtKVG5YemRkMTFiQ1E&hl=en

timecruisermikebanner450x79.png
  • PGmightyPGmighty Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Heads up on the shirt. Tek has confirmed this in the other thread but it will say West Coast Train Trip 2009 instead of Put Something Here.

That shirt is sure sweet. How do I get one in medium. 10$ now, or on the train.

edited August 2009
    UPDATE: I found a new room that will house me Thursday night through the weekend. This means I am now able to confirm the 26''LCD TV. HOORAY!!

edited August 2009
    PGmighty wrote: »

That shirt is sure sweet. How do I get one in medium. 10$ now, or on the train.

$10.50 on the train, hence the comments about fumbling with quarters. Also, huge thanks for stepping up to the plate and securing us another TV!

edited August 2009
    $10.50 on the train, hence the comments about fumbling with quarters. Also, huge thanks for stepping up to the plate and securing us another TV!

Sure thing. Does that make two tvs? And is someone bringing a Wii? I'll have Sports resort with two remotes w/ motion+.

• EugalEugal Registered User
    edited August 2009
    I was wondering if Weenog42 could post the rules for the (D&D) game he is running again. I am going to pump out a character in the character creator. Which campaigns can we use, how much gold, what level, ect ect....

edited August 2009

Not true, Getting a shirt required getting on the list before the order was finalized.

That being said, there are VERY few extra's, so if you are not on the list.. You might be a lucky one, you might not..

Next year, I'll start the t-shirt process earlier to allow more time for "getting on the list" heh..

• ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yaaaaaaay TVs. Video games on the train make for a happy Arco.

Do we have a volunteer who's bringing Rock Band yet?

Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, just to make sure, now that it's the final stretch...

Union Pacific didn't nail us with a giant delay this year, right?

• wilrich25wilrich25 Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Man that looks like a blasty blast!

Leader of the "N00b coup"
    edited August 2009

Not true, Getting a shirt required getting on the list before the order was finalized.

That being said, there are VERY few extra's, so if you are not on the list.. You might be a lucky one, you might not..

Next year, I'll start the t-shirt process earlier to allow more time for "getting on the list" heh..

Damnit! I strive to be one of the lucky ones.

edited August 2009
    So, just to make sure, now that it's the final stretch...

Union Pacific didn't nail us with a giant delay this year, right?

No one knows.. lol

edited August 2009
    Can we get those links that had the info about on time arrivals for the past few weeks added to the main post? I remember them getting posted but I'm too lazy to go find them in the pages and pages of posts.

PAX Prime 2014 Checklist
  • bookofnerdsbookofnerds Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Arco wrote: »

According to the spreadsheeet, Squirminator2k is bringing Rock Band + Controllers.

edited August 2009
    Can we get those links that had the info about on time arrivals for the past few weeks added to the main post? I remember them getting posted but I'm too lazy to go find them in the pages and pages of posts.

http://www.amtrakdelays.com/

http://72.148.42.113:8080/Amtrak/status/StatusPages/CoastStarlightStatus.htm

http://72.148.42.113:8080/Amtrak/status/StatusMaps/AmtrakStatusMapWest.htm

delay.JPG

edited August 2009

According to the spreadsheeet, Squirminator2k is bringing Rock Band + Controllers.

Raiden said they are RB1 drums, minus a foot pedal, however, so if anyone has RB2 drums (or the pedal?), I'm sure they'd come in handy.

Also, are any of the other San Jose PAXTrainers still planning on eating at the Poor House Bistro before boarding, and if so, when shall we meet? Since we'll be departing at 8:39, and I'd say we'd want to be there at least twenty minutes or half and hour early, plus another 45 minutes or so for food... would 7 or 7:15 be a good time?

• DStalefishDStalefish Registered User
    edited August 2009
    If I can actually fit it, I can bring a drum stool.

No promises. Could remedy our sit-on-a-suitcase-with-wheels-on-a-moving-train problem.

[E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
    edited August 2009
    I have a duck-taped RB 1 foot pedal that I've been meaning to replace. It still works fine, but we may need to treat it to another duck-tape revival at some point in the journey.

And again, is someone bringing a Wii? I didn't see it on the spreadsheet, but there was talk of a Smash Bros. session on the previous thread.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Raiden said they are RB1 drums, minus a foot pedal, however, so if anyone has RB2 drums (or the pedal?), I'm sure they'd come in handy.

Also, are any of the other San Jose PAXTrainers still planning on eating at the Poor House Bistro before boarding, and if so, when shall we meet? Since we'll be departing at 8:39, and I'd say we'd want to be there at least twenty minutes or half and hour early, plus another 45 minutes or so for food... would 7 or 7:15 be a good time?

If the last two years are any indication, Highfire and I will probably show up at the train station at about 5-6 and just hang out.

camo_sig2.png
  • YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for posting the t-shirt sizing chart, tek. Looks like I had managed to pick the right size (which is good, since I didn't check the forums this weekend).

I'll likely bring some snacks to share, and will try to remember to cram a power strip into my bag, though I don't hop on until halfway.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
    edited August 2009
    I just got a estimate of Thursday to pickup the shirts.. wewt!

• Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Weenog's D&D 4th Edition

This thread will be updated regularly. If you have a specific question you may PM or email me (weenog42@yahoo.com) - please don't bog up this thread with a flurry of questions that may not be of interest to everyone.

Update 8/30/09 ALL GAMES ARE FULL! If want nifty game aides as detailed in my Generous Offer below, the cutoff is 5 p.m. Monday!

"How do I get a spot to play?"
    Spoiler:
    "What games are you running?"
    Spoiler:
    "I've never played D&D before, but I'm interested in trying. What should I do?"
    Spoiler:
    Character Creation Rules
    Spoiler:
    Do I need to bring anything?
    Spoiler:

Current Signups:

Haunted Forest, Wednesday: Tek, Stalefish, Eugal, TnTrooper, BookofNerds, Waffleboi9
    Haunted Forest, Thursday: Raiden333, MoreGrease, SlickShughes, Kytarowolf, Lunch, GR_Zombie
    The Forge of Fury, Thursday: MoreGrease, Eugal, TnTrooper, Lunch, Waffleboi9, Smerk

A Generous Offer
    Spoiler:

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When are you starting the haunted forest one? I would like to play, but I don't get on the train until about 9 PM.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.