As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mother can't take her degree (UK)

WillethWilleth Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My mum was recently accepted unconditionally into an Archaeology degree course at Manchester University as a mature student. After my father's death last year, she has been living entirely on savings gathered from when she was working before he fell seriously ill, and his pension, which has of course now ceased.

In order to pay for the course, she applied for a loan from the Student Loans Company. Without it, she cannot take the course. Now, the SLC are saying that they won't fund her, as she has already received payments for a previous course. I believe this was an HND equivalent in design, and as she was living at home she received very little money at the time. She passed, and her debt was paid back in full.

The University has a grant scheme, and they have agreed to fund her for £1,200. This is roughly a third of the cost needed, if I remember rightly. She is appealing the SLC's decision, but enrolment for her course is in one week, and the decision will not be made for longer than that. She's currently thinking of moving some money from her savings in order to take the course, but this will take her through the first semester, and if no other money is forthcoming, she'll have to drop out.

So, folks. Is there another avenue that we haven't looked at? Is there a way that I can see my mother through her degree with security? I am currently looking for work, and once I am able, I want to contribute, but it may well not be for another year or so before I'm anywhere near stable enough to do so. If there are grant programs or somewhere else we can source a student loan, I would appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks!

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
@gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
Willeth on

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm honestly not sure.

The only thing I can think of is doing a load of internet searches and looking at the 'big book of funding' (whose name I can't remember but should be in any public library) and seeing if there are any charities out there who provide support for mature students.

I think, in any case, unless SLC are prepared to pay for the costs it will mean deferring for a year as any of the other routes will require applications in advance of starting the degree.

Has she been in contact with the student support people at Manchester? They will probably know more about this than me.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So... you only need about another £2,400? Google tells me thats about $4000? That's not a lot of money... Is there some reason you can't get a non-student loan, at least in the interim? Do you have a car or some house equity you could secure it against? And unsecured loan would have higher interest, naturally.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aioua wrote: »
    So... you only need about another £2,400? Google tells me thats about $4000? That's not a lot of money... Is there some reason you can't get a non-student loan, at least in the interim? Do you have a car or some house equity you could secure it against? And unsecured loan would have higher interest, naturally.

I was about to say, most banks will give you at least that amount in interest free overdraft. But if you're looking at 3 years of funding I'd think about creditcards (depending on the rate you can get and loans from the bank).

Rook on