Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Mount & Blade: New Steam group and server! EaTRC released for Warband!

MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
MOUNT & BLADE

Please use the following music for flavor as you read this thread:
Spoiler:

New steam group!
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/MagicSwordKings
New Warband Server!
Arcadian_Battle

War.

op1new.jpg

War never changes.

op2new.jpg

Welcome to Calradia.

You are an adventurer, forging your own path in the world.

The Nords
Nord.jpg

Residing along the northern coast of Calradia, these hardy warriors are unmatched on foot. Their fierce Huscarls fight with axe and javelin, striking fear into the hearts of their opponents. This faction is entirely infantry-based, with weak archer support but arguably the strongest infantry in the game.

The Vaegirs
Vaegir.jpg

The Vaegirs call the eastern mountain ranges of Calradia home. They have a mix of fairly strong cavalry and infantry, but their marksmen are second to none. Many a foe has fallen at the walls of a Vaegir stronghold due to their prowess.

The Swadians
Swadian.jpg

The Swadians are a proud and haughty nation, having once controlled most of Calradia. Now that battle lines have been drawn once again, the Swadian throne has called his vassals to war. Swadians feature the heaviest cavalry available in the game, the Swadian Knight. These mounted warriors can dominate most infantry on open ground. This kingdom also has a decent mix of crossbowmen and infantry.

The Khergits
Khergit.jpg

After centuries of oppression by the Swadians and Vaegirs, the Khergit Khanate has called his hordes together. Born and bred on the vast steppes of southern Calradia, the Khergits are masters of the horse and bow. Khergit children learn to shoot and ride before they learn to read and write. This kingdom is entirely cavalry based, and focuses on horse archery.

The Rhodoks
Rhodoks.jpg

Generally a peaceful nation of farmers, the Rhodoks have seen the writing on the wall and a call to arms has been sounded. Farmers have taken up the spear and shield in defense of their nation. The Rhodoks are another cavalry-less kingdom, but have the best crossbowman available, as well as featuring strong defensive spearmen with large shields.

Sarranid Sultanate
No image as these guys are too badass to be photographed
An Arabic medieval civilization that lives in the harsh deserts of Calradia. Their tactics tends to be based around their fast firing and mobile infantry archers and their exceptional heavy cavalry charges. Their Marmaluke knights nearly rival Swadian's offensively, but carry a shield and one handed weapon, making them even MORE durable. Sarranid units tend to be cheaper to upgrade, but more expensive to maintain.
From the players stand point, their armor is also very good for a mobility character, offering a good amount of protection at little weight.

Who will you choose?

Why should I play this game?
Let me show you. (spoilered for h-scrollage)

The Rhodok army ran.

Driven like so many cattle before the forces of the mighty Nord King Ragnar, they hoped to reach the safety of the castle walls at Jelkala.
Spoiler:

However, they had a problem. A big one.

A problem in the form of Lord Hoglor Turacheg and his one hundred Reavers, brave huscarls all.
Spoiler:

As the terrified Rhodok rabble swarmed directly into his trap, Lord Turacheg knew that blood would be spilled on this day.

And spilled it was.
Spoiler:

In Mount & Blade, you can join a nation as a mercenary and eventually become a vassal. You can command large armies on the field of battle, or you can travel from town to town looking for the best trade deals. You can gain fame on the tournament circuit, or travel from town to town and help them with their problems.

Features

-Command armies with a tactical interface

-Siege towns and castles

-Become a lord by joining a faction

-Start rebellions and help a claimant take their rightful throne

-Plunder, rape, pillage, etc.

-Hire companions that you can outfit and level up

-Robust RPG levelling system

-Hundreds of weapons and armors

-Responsive horse and combat controls

Basically, this game is the shit.

Really Big Ass List of M&B gameplay tweaks

Recommended Mods
(Note: this list can be subject to change and addition)
Spoiler:

FAQs
Spoiler:

How can I get this game?
Mount & Blade can be acquired in stores, on Steam, or through the developers' website. Also at the dev's site, you can download the full client with a trial mode that lets you play till level 7 at http://www.taleworlds.com.

Mount & Blade Screenshots

Awesome M&B Wiki

Trading Guide for Adventuresome Merchant Types
Spoiler:

Awesomeness by GalagaGalaxian:
As a product of mad boredom, I made this:

bannersid2br4.th.jpg

A list of all the banners used by the nobles (though oddly, one unlisted Nord noble uses Sanjur Khan's banner as well).

The ones with no names are not used by a Lord and are suitable for selecting for yourself if you don't want to steal someone else's or overwriting with a custom banner.

Such as these:

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,51150.0.html

Warband details:
Spoiler:
For people who play in high resolutions and are tired of huge walls of text during battles but still want messages on.

Edit the file E:\Mount&Blade\Data\font_data.xml

Find the line <FontData width="2048" height="1024" padding="10" font_size="70" font_scale="100" line_spacing="100">

and change it to <FontData width="2048" height="1024" padding="10" font_size="70" font_scale="75" line_spacing="100">

it'll make all text in the game smaller and less eye raping during battles.

Tweaks:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,101731.0.html

A program to automate some of the 82 tweaks found here, very handy:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,46290.0.html

Now, ride forth and conquer!

Morkath on
hobbessig.png

• MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    op shamelessly stolen from pantsy, I will update it tommorrow with the warband stuff, and see if anything else needs updating.

hobbessig.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The music in the op makes me want to load up the game just to slaughter people.

that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I'm new to PoP, started building an army, aligned with Ravenstern, took my first small castle, and started equiping my mans.

Where should I be heading? I've got about 150 mans, 90 of which I can have with me at once. And which is a good order I should try to put together (once I figure out how)?

Previous thread question, help me out? Qualis gem hunting? If so, where to start?

Also, I don't think PoP is in the OP?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You didn't alter the recommended mods list in the OP to include PoP, Morkath.

edited August 2009
    Yes I know, I said I was gonna edit it tomorrow. :P
    Also gonna link the pop wiki.

Also to get qualis gems, keep an eye on the victory report for unique army spawns, and try to capture the lords.

There is also one hidden in a chest in the ravenstern town on the peninsula.

hobbessig.png
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm so glad I bought this all those years ago. I *still* play it every now and then.

76288.png
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Got into the Warband beta. It is a glorious dream come true.

• HeirHeir Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I have a gem. And there's a guy who will show me where some mine is....uh what's in the mine?

camo_sig2.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There's nothing in the mine unless you have 2 more Qualis gems.

Otherwise you'll just be able to talk to some dudes there and be stuck in there forever.

steam_sig.png
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You can leave the mines. You just have to walk all the way to the edge of the map.

edited August 2009
    I just wish the unique armies would respawn, I don't have any other way of getting a Qualis gem now.

steam_sig.png
  • EnnsEnns Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Great title for this thread. So in my game all the other factions armies are weak and cannot bring down Dread Legion, The Three Seers, or the Jatar(?) dude. Oh also the mountain man. It's kinda annoying because I hate looking away for a moment only to see "They have 685 men and you have 19." What's the best anti-horse unit?

gransig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Oh, I asked this in the previous thread:

How do you reduce text font size for the game? I remember I had to tweak some file for this, but it made the interface so much nicer to look at.

steam_sig.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    so I found out where the noldor hang out

I also found out the noldor will fucking murder you

I lost 6 valkyries, but luckily made a boatload of cash and got some things lvled

STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Enns wrote: »
    Great title for this thread. So in my game all the other factions armies are weak and cannot bring down Dread Legion, The Three Seers, or the Jatar(?) dude. Oh also the mountain man. It's kinda annoying because I hate looking away for a moment only to see "They have 685 men and you have 19." What's the best anti-horse unit?

Knights, though if you're archer/infantry based it's required that you keep your men together when fighting strong horse armies.

As I usually do it, 3/4ths of my army is archers which I set at one spot, while the 1/4th cavalry (me, companions, the best knights I can rescue or train up) do the fighting a bit in front of them, keeping the attention away from the archers.

• TimFijiTimFiji Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I have my Silvermist Archers, and my Rune weapon, but the minor factions on my screen are "Obliterated" Does this mean I am shit out of luck in getting an enchant?

NNID: Archpriest
    3DS: 5112-3442-2082
    Kid Icarus, MK7, Heroes of Ruin, Mario Tennis, Colors: 3D
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I havent put much time into Prophesy of Pendor, the bad sound clips really put me off. Is it worthwhile to endure the audible pain in order to slice up some mans?

IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
    edited August 2009
    Of course it is man, you get over them pretty quickly. I did cringe at them too once.

This is what M&B Native should have been, I consider it to be a lot more focused.
    TimFiji wrote: »
    So I have my Silvermist Archers, and my Rune weapon, but the minor factions on my screen are "Obliterated" Does this mean I am shit out of luck in getting an enchant?

Look at the armies spawned information, you should at least have Kodan Ironsword's adventurer company.

Edit:

I found it!
    Blight wrote: »
    For people who play in high resolutions and are tired of huge walls of text during battles but still want messages on.

Edit the file E:\Mount&Blade\Data\font_data.xml

Find the line <FontData width="2048" height="1024" padding="10" font_size="70" font_scale="100" line_spacing="100">

and change it to <FontData width="2048" height="1024" padding="10" font_size="70" font_scale="75" line_spacing="100">

it'll make all text in the game smaller and less eye raping during battles.

Google tags:

change mount blade font text size scale

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    how do you get lords into your faction

STEAM
    Spoiler:
    edited August 2009
    If you have them prisoner and 10 rep with them, you can recruit them. This means you need 20 rep to take the -10 for capturing them, and 21 if you start the fight with them and lose 1 there.

edited August 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    If you have them prisoner and 10 rep with them, you can recruit them. This means you need 20 rep to take the -10 for capturing them, and 21 if you start the fight with them and lose 1 there.

no other way?

because I kinda pissed off a lot of lords by beating them repeatedly

STEAM
    Spoiler:
    edited August 2009
    The best way to build rep is to beat them repeatedly but let them go.

If you want hostage money though then you're going to die cold and alone.

edited August 2009
    welp looks like I'm gonna need to release some folks

STEAM
    Spoiler:
    edited August 2009
    Well, if an empire falls you will get randomly 1/5th (higher if fewer empires left) of them when they redistribute.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Khergits are the best

JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2009
    Khergits are the best

by best you mean annoying and need to die

STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User
    edited August 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Khergits are the best

by best you mean annoying and need to die

We also would accepted Rhodoks.

edited August 2009
    Ok added in some more mods to the list, and added in some of the known warband details.

If you want anything else added let me know.

hobbessig.png
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    need suggestions on how to edit said xml document, it comes up in windows explorer and makes me feel like a failed nerd.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    Right click -> Edit

:)

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    wow. thanks. (in my defense I don't tend to mess with such things)

steam_sig.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    oh god yes, got into the mp beta today, wooo

camo_sig2.png
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to try PoP again, and will almost certainly ragequit after being faceraped for 2+ hours. But I will try.

ArcherEyes2.jpg
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've played lots of vanilla (Native I suppose?) with some +Pretty mods and just installed PoP. I want a mod that gives me formations in PoP. Native Expansion and Extended Gameplay III are both mentioned, will one serve me better?

Also: Does everyone else see a horrible difference in coloration between the heads & torsos in the melee arena or any other time someone is shirtless? In general I feel like something is.... off in my game, I've only installed the stuff in the OP but my game doesn't look as good as some of the SS's I see people post.

edited August 2009
    i noticed the same thing myself. i think its a POP thing... which I accept due to awesome gameplay. Messes with you at first though.

steam_sig.png
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    At least it's not just me I suppose :P

I hope PoP lives up to the hype here, because this renfest music is kinda grating :D So far I like it though.

• StregoneStregone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just cheat myself a handful of levels to get past that annoying weak as crap stage.

edited August 2009
    I've played lots of vanilla (Native I suppose?) with some +Pretty mods and just installed PoP. I want a mod that gives me formations in PoP. Native Expansion and Extended Gameplay III are both mentioned, will one serve me better?

Also: Does everyone else see a horrible difference in coloration between the heads & torsos in the melee arena or any other time someone is shirtless? In general I feel like something is.... off in my game, I've only installed the stuff in the OP but my game doesn't look as good as some of the SS's I see people post.

Depends on what you want, native expansion is more of a mod, while extended gameplay is more of a total conversion.

hobbessig.png
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Where do I find me some Noldor?

How do I make us buddies?

I also cheated and swapped my archery stats for throwing stats

It's more my style

sig-1.jpg
    edited August 2009
    The forests northeast of the Empire, help them out when they get in fights.