As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount & Blade: New Steam group and server! EaTRC released for Warband!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I always find a swinging staff to work well when you swing into the direction the cavalry comes from, stroke 1 disables the horse, swing 2 disables the rider.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When you are facing alot of cavalry tell your guys to hold position at the very edge of the map. Horses will get stuck on the edge and you will get a fighting chance.

Stregone on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think my problem is that I don't have any faith in my army at all. I'm too scared to lose my progress.

I was trying to make my way to the nearest city to offload some prisoners when 2 bands of renegade knights started chasing me. I nearly crapped my pants trying to make it to safety, but they eventually caught up with me.

The numbers were pretty even at around 55 each, but dreading the battle, I was resigned to the fact that my army would get decimated... yet again. Only they didn't. My 15 or so Pendor Grey Archers and Ravenstern Rangers kicked some serious ass and I only lost a few low level guys. Yay!

By the way, is it a bad idea to build your army entirely out of archers, and just rest at the top of a hill to shoot people to death? I admit I'm a little lazy and don't feel like managing the battle. I just upgraded my leadership skill, so I have 10 or so spare spots now in my army. Should I diversify a little more with some infantry to defend the archers? Or some cavalry units?

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    I think my problem is that I don't have any faith in my army at all. I'm too scared to lose my progress.

I was trying to make my way to the nearest city to offload some prisoners when 2 bands of renegade knights started chasing me. I nearly crapped my pants trying to make it to safety, but they eventually caught up with me.

The numbers were pretty even at around 55 each, but dreading the battle, I was resigned to the fact that my army would get decimated... yet again. Only they didn't. My 15 or so Pendor Grey Archers and Ravenstern Rangers kicked some serious ass and I only lost a few low level guys. Yay!

By the way, is it a bad idea to build your army entirely out of archers, and just rest at the top of a hill to shoot people to death? I admit I'm a little lazy and don't feel like managing the battle. I just upgraded my leadership skill, so I have 10 or so spare spots now in my army. Should I diversify a little more with some infantry to defend the archers? Or some cavalry units?

just recruit all archers, and turn your hero companions into cavalry, the archers will more than likely never even get into melee, and the heroes can't die.

Not the best strategy, but definatly viable.

Morkath on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not sure how applicable this is in Prophecy of Pendor, but here's how I got an extremely strong start in Native Improved.

First, decide what companions you want to have with you. This will mean you've got to check to see which ones like and hate each other so that none of them will leave. Hire the selected companions.

Second, take as many ranks in Prisoner Management as you can. This is going to be your main source of income for a long while.

Third, equip yourself and your companions with horses and polearms that deal blunt damage. Couched damage from them will knock out just about anyone.

Don't bother with an army yet. Concentrate on taking on small groups of enemies, knocking them all out, and selling them as prisoners. After a while you'll have enough money to start upgrading your own and your companion's equipment to something you're happy with for the extreme long term. In Native Improved, this is stuff like Chargers and Plate Mail.

The other benefit of taking on enemies with just yourself and your companions is that your Renown will skyrocket. Before I even started gathering a serious army, I had about 1300 Renown. This will let you get a bigger army early on, rather than struggling with an overly small force.

You should only bother with an army when you've got 20000 or so denars as well as full equipment for yourself and your companions. With that kind of a solid foundation, creating and leading a powerful army should be a piece of cake.

Also, go to tournaments. They're a wonderful way to gain experience and money. Also, it's great fun!

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    in pop, you can keep yourself funded with tournaments.

Morkath on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arrrgh i wish gydia could coexist with sigismund
    right now im rocking a ton of pendor foot knights and fierdsvain huscarls in front of about 20 grey archers
    it is awesome
    i really wish stupid empire soldiers didnt think they were archers though
    but i guess its pretty useful to have those few immortals chillin with the archers as backup

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Stregone wrote: »
    When you are facing alot of cavalry tell your guys to hold position at the very edge of the map. Horses will get stuck on the edge and you will get a fighting chance.

Also, if the edge of the map is too far away or its the middle of the battle, rally around a tree or group of trees to break their pace. Also, try to fight heavy cavalry armies in the middle of forests or as close to water as you can. Infantry>cavalry in water.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Abloobloo horses:(

Khergits.
    Morkath wrote: »
    in pop, you can keep yourself funded with tournaments.

Tournaments are currently keeping my war with the Empire funded.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    revcomrevcom Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tourneys in PoP really seem the wasy to go.

does anyone know what building a "training ground" in a castle actually does? I haven't figured out what it does yet, and I'm hesistant to waste the time and funds to build another.

revcom on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Also, if the edge of the map is too far away or its the middle of the battle, rally around a tree or group of trees to break their pace. Also, try to fight heavy cavalry armies in the middle of forests or as close to water as you can. Infantry>cavalry in water.

If you're quick and not stupid, you can also probably ride ahead of your archers to convince a fair portion of the enemy cavalry to follow you, and then lead them in gigantic loops where they run parallel to your archers and either get killed outright or dismounted.

<3 AI

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

If you're quick and not stupid, you can also probably ride ahead of your archers to convince a fair portion of the enemy cavalry to follow you, and then lead them in gigantic loops where they run parallel to your archers and either get killed outright or dismounted.

<3 AI

Hehe, I've done that in vanilla before. It also works if you want to separate the enemy force approximately in half. A bunch will focus their attention on you, while the others will engage your army. I haven't really tried it in PoP yet. My riding skills suck, so the enemy cavalry can actually keep pace and start poking me in the back with their lances until I die. I'm even slower now since some jerkface crippled my Noldor Warhorse. D:

One thing I like about Mount & Blade is how it requires a certain degree of skill to survive a melee. Or maybe you just need to have good awareness of what is happening around you. It doesn't matter if you're level 40 with the best armour in the game, if you get complacent, even a group of angry farmers can take you down if they surround you.

By the way, I'm wondering about something. How does Mount & Blade handle the distribution of your troops in a fight once you get a big army? It seems you start out with 50, but how does it select who goes on the battlefield? Does it choose the units towards the top of the list on the party screen? Or does it choose the strongest (highest wage) units? I wish the game would let you choose which troops you want. Thats a feature that should have been added a long time ago.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dangerbird's post just had me thinking about Mount and Blade battles being modded so that you see the pokemon battle load animation before each fight. It would get dull as hell but would be hecka funny

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I found an indestructible horse (90 armor, 700 hitpoints) in a loot pool, but it's sooo slooow (only 33 speed).

Platy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What does this horse look like? Is it completely encased in metal? Like, its wearing horse power armour or something?

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's probably the netherworld charger or whatever the undead armies have.

I have a swaybacked version....it only has 33 speed....I use him for fights against heavy infantry...but against armies with a bunch of fast calvary I go back to my Noldor horse.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yes, it's the netherworld charger, only mine's stubborn, not swaybacked. It looks pretty cool, I wish it was faster.

Platy on
  • Options
    NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    By the way, I'm wondering about something. How does Mount & Blade handle the distribution of your troops in a fight once you get a big army? It seems you start out with 50, but how does it select who goes on the battlefield? Does it choose the units towards the top of the list on the party screen? Or does it choose the strongest (highest wage) units? I wish the game would let you choose which troops you want. Thats a feature that should have been added a long time ago.

I believe M&B gives priority to troops at the top of the list first. The troops higher in the list have a better chance of getting into a battle than the troops lower in the list. If all your troops cannot be in the battle at once, it will pick troops from the top of the list, then go down the list and add troops seemingly at random to even out the army. Often times troops at the bottom of the list will not get sent into battle in the initial waves.

NebulousQ on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've been taking a break from PoP and playing WWII:China Battlefield. Its pretty amazing what this mod can do with the M&B engine. They've put in grenades, machine guns, and mortars. Also a cool recruiting system and manufacturing system. You can place officers to auto-recruit from any towns/villages/castles you own. You can also build workshops and staff them with craftsmen. The best items in the game are built from these workshops, and you can equip your soldiers with the weapons. They plan to add artillery for the next version.

The battles are awesome. Basically the armies line up and blast each other, with tracers flying everywhere. Any melee troops and grenadiers charge, and mostly get slaughtered, but god help you if an enemy gets into grenade range. They will take out huge chunks of your line. This is a fun break from medieval type combat.

bamjo on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whats a good way to get pendor recruits?

When I established my kingdom I wanted to follow after the empire, because legionnaires are boss.

Now that I have a few castles, and a knighthood order ready to go, I just need a fat source of pendor recruits so I can turn them into delicious knights.

Any ideas?

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

When I established my kingdom I wanted to follow after the empire, because legionnaires are boss.

Now that I have a few castles, and a knighthood order ready to go, I just need a fat source of pendor recruits so I can turn them into delicious knights.

Any ideas?

Hire Young Nobles, they all promote into Pendor Squires.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    jothki wrote: »

Any ideas?

farmers also turn into pendors

Morkath on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I just got this the other night... Damn it's addicting. Cruised around for like 5 hours straight picking up new posse members and smashing some faces in.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jothki wrote: »

Any ideas?

I turn my nobles into adventurers

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That can get annoying though as there's 5 different flavors of adventurers for a few levels and it takes up that much more space.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My computer almost blew up last night during a castle siege. I usually set the dead bodies to unlimited but I guess PoP really beefs up the textures. My video card couldn't handle it and went bonkers. I had to hit the reset button when my computer went to a black screen and wouldn't do anything. Luckily, nothing bad happened.

Is it just me or are the D'Shar units completely useless? I wanted to try out the blademasters and scorpion assassins. The blademasters are alright, but cavalry units run circles around them easily. And the mounted scorpion assassins, while a little better, don't really have the armour to compete with mounted knights.

After getting beaten down by a group of snakecult dudes because my wimpy guys couldn't get through their heavy plate, I decided to completely switch over to Sarleon recruits and just spam knights at everyone. I seem to doing pretty good now.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is there any way to make the tournaments less dependant on reloading until you don't get fucked by the randomness? I'll get to the 2nd to last round doing flawlessly, and then it goes "lol, here's a crossbow while everyone else gets horses and melee weapons".

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Everyone has a club as secondary weapon. I dunno if this was added in the latest version of native, of PoP adds it, or I never even knew it was there to begin with. But, there you go. Gives you a fighting chance if you get rushed.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    huh, could have sworn I tried to switch. Guess I'll give it another shot.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Everyone has a club as secondary weapon. I dunno if this was added in the latest version of native, of PoP adds it, or I never even knew it was there to begin with. But, there you go. Gives you a fighting chance if you get rushed.

it's a pop thing, normally you just switch to your firsts.

also the mount and blade repository changed it's site design, I don't think I like it. The different mods are kind of spread out as to where they show up as new now.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ok, nevermind. Apparently last round of the tourneys are impossible to win unless you have enough stats to swing your weapon like the fucking flash.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Ok, nevermind. Apparently last round of the tourneys are impossible to win unless you have enough stats to swing your weapon like the fucking flash.

This quote is really funny.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Seriously though, sometimes the game doesn't even try to hide its unfairness. Like when I get really close to winning a melee fight, and all 5 guys remaining suddenly decide to stop fighting each other and all rush towards me.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've been playing War For Calradia. I control the small province of SLAUGHTERBURG. Two lords have pledged themselves to me, I control three castles, and the elite guard that is my army has triumphed against nigh-impossible odds. I shall conquer all of Calradia, and when ALL kneel before me...I shall slaughter my subjects and reduce my kingdom to rubble.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I just got recruited to help in a war... Our side only lost about 50 people, maybe 10 of them from my army, and I singlehandedly knocked out a lord and got to capture/ransom him. Considering that I was having trouble keeping my gold above a thousand and I got over 20k then and there, this was awesome.

Also, I really wanted to try out the Song of Ice and Fire mod, but I bought the game from Steam. Is there any way to roll back the version to the right patch (.903), or get the mod working with 1.011? Or am I basically SOL until somebody decides to update/remake it?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I just got recruited to help in a war... Our side only lost about 50 people, maybe 10 of them from my army, and I singlehandedly knocked out a lord and got to capture/ransom him. Considering that I was having trouble keeping my gold above a thousand and I got over 20k then and there, this was awesome.

Also, I really wanted to try out the Song of Ice and Fire mod, but I bought the game from Steam. Is there any way to roll back the version to the right patch (.903), or get the mod working with 1.011? Or am I basically SOL until somebody decides to update/remake it?

you could read the op. :P

You can use your cd key with the version off of the m&b site, and download any version you want.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I was just talking around towns when someone said that if I pay them 200 denars they will put the location of a hidden chest in Valonbray on my map.

I paid the 200 denars and they just ramble on about my oppurtunities in pendor

Is there really a secret chest or is it just a HAHA YOU WASTED MONEY! thing

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Every time you pay, the chest there gets restocked.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Okay, but where is this chest?

I have no idea what they are talking about

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Morkath wrote: »

you could read the op. :P

You can use your cd key with the version off of the m&b site, and download any version you want.

You know, I read the OP a bunch of times (for the FAQ), and I can't believe I missed that. Thanks.

Also: My character has existed for less than 2 months in the PoP world and I already feel like my boys and I are the angels of death. Can't wait to start my own kingdom when my contract runs out with Ravenstern.

Raiden333 on