As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat Fights!

815165815165 Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Sorry, not the hot kind.

Right, so we had two cats, a girl who's 18 and a boy who's 7, they've never been great friends but there's never been any trouble between them.

We then had two kittens kind of forced upon us, the boy cat we already has gets on great with them, however even after five months the old girl cat will still chase the kittens upon sight. She's no match for them; they normally just jump up onto something out of reach which is pretty comical, and she's never managed to catch either of the kittens yet but it's a total pain in the pooper keeping them all in check.

How can I help my cat and kittens be friends?

815165 on

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Old cats like that tend to be very territorial if they've spent there whole lives in one home. Especially if the cat is indoor most of the time. I'm afraid in this case it is just her insincts and there is nothing to be done. Ontop of that a situation like this can be EXTREMELY stressful on an older cat that was used to at once time being the only one around. Having the 7 year old forced on her was probably stressful too, 7 years before, but she was young enough still to get used to it. But now she is old, very old for a cat, and this situation may in fact even cause serious health problems.

I had an old cat who actually got very sick when i introduced kittens into her life due to the stress. (This is what the Vet actually told me.)

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I agree. She might get used to the kittens in time, or at least give up on trying to do anything about them, but the process isn't good for her health at that age. There's also the chance that once the kittens grow up a bit, they'll start establishing their place in the cat hierarchy of the house, and probably kick the old cat's ass, which wouldn't be good for her either.

edit: I suggest giving it a couple more months. If the situation doesn't change, try to figure out a way to keep the cats separate, or find a new home for the kittens.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg