As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TF2] The Anthology Edition

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Let us recount our excellent tf2 kills.

Gravelpit is a good map because I like sticky jumping to the roof of B on defense, and almost killing everyone on the point singlehandedly.

Also, checking my backpack, it looks like they may have given me my items back. By dying in game doesn't seem to give them to me.

I'm a terrible player, so every time I get a airshot or a reflected rocket kill, I pretty much go into cardiac arrest.

I nearly died of excitement when I, by sheer luck, reflected a arrow into a sniper.

To the pro players of PA this may not seem like much, but to me I felt like a total badass for doing it.

Biosys on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I killed two snipers on pipeline last night as scout. They had big time tunnel vision going on, trying to snipe my teammates, and I blew both of them to bits without taking any damage. This was right around the time my team started complaining that no one was counter-sniping.

I felt pretty cool running for doing that.. not so much for killing the snipers, they're easy once you get up behind them, but managing to avoid the entire enemy team in the process.

xzzy on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How about meleeing a pyro who ambushes you, and winning. Without a crit. I love those moments.

Mars on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I enjoy those days where everyone you seem to meet has been softened up and dies to your shotgun in one or two blasts.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love when I can actually manage to put up a quick level one sentry in the middle of a crowded firefight

because even a level one is really hard to take down if it isn't the only threat at the time

so many kills and assist kills

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I enjoy those days where everyone you seem to meet has been softened up and dies to your shotgun in one or two blasts.

Shotguns in general are a heap of fun, because of the way ragdolls go flying when you finish the kill.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I love when I can actually manage to put up a quick level one sentry in the middle of a crowded firefight

because even a level one is really hard to take down if it isn't the only threat at the time

so many kills and assist kills

Dropping level 1 sentries in random corners is always hilarious. I guarantee you'll get at least one kill, because people simply don't expect it to be there. Granary in particular has all kinds of weird spots to drop a gun.

Scouts are the best, they're all "LOL GONNA GETS TEH POINT" and then they start screaming like a girl, and die.

xzzy on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I like when snipers piss on things, like heavies, so when I go to chop them up it takes about 15 swings because apparently piss overrides flames so I'm getting goddamn mini-crits and I keep doing it because goddamnit fucking snipers.

And then I go as scout and just dance in front of a heavy until he keels over because scouts are so much easier to play than pyro it's disgusting.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ooo ooo, the best is starting a level one, getting into a fight and distracting them long enough that your sentry finishes building, and then watching everyone freak out and try to deal with you and your sentry.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

MUST HAVE PDQ.

xzzy on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    The best is seeing an engineer with his toolbox, shooting a flare ahead of him, then watching the sentry start to build right as you kill it with the flare. And then lighting the engineer on fire.

Or maybe it's lighting a scout on fire, airblasting him after his second jump, pulling out your flare, and shooting him to death with it right before he hits the ground two feet ahead of you.

Or just killing scouts in general. Ever. Because fuck scouts.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

And where did you discover these?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

And where did you discover these?

Rumors of them have been floating around for a few weeks now.. these are the first screenshots I've seen though. Surfaced when people started talking about valve inviting "pro players" to help test some stuff.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    the only thing with the PDQ is that it seems to me like an engie who has one and an engie who has the regular wrench working in tandem would be seriously fucking broken

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Jesus, I hope with the new thread that this finally passes.

No shit. I guess it was a bad idea having a thread with no bitching right from the start because [strike]holy fuck[/strike] halo hat did you guys make up for it.

worst thread ever

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, 150% faster? If wacking a building normally 1/2 the build time, does that mean using this wrench would 1/5 the build time? Or would it 1/3 the build time? We're talking about the difference of building a sentry in 2 seconds or 3 1/3 seconds.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't know if 150% is enough of a speed boost to justify being unable to upgrade, though

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the only thing with the PDQ is that it seems to me like an engie who has one and an engie who has the regular wrench working in tandem would be seriously fucking broken

Not really. Two engineers already build things twice as fast. With one of these the initial buildup would only be faster but the other one would still have to do all the upgrading. Seriously, a level 1 sentry goes up in no time with 2 engineers hitting it.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't know if 150% is enough of a speed boost to justify being unable to upgrade, though

Probably not.. I bet a lot of players will hate it. But if I can get a sentry up with two whacks, it sounds ideal for that mythical 'offensive engineer'.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Putting up a sentry in 2 seconds is pretty boss. I would use it.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, 150% faster? If wacking a building normally 1/2 the build time, does that mean using this wrench would 1/5 the build time? Or would it 1/3 the build time? We're talking about the difference of building a sentry in 2 seconds or 3 1/3 seconds.

Wait what? Hitting a building as it is being built makes that much of a difference? Holy crap. o_O

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Wait what? Hitting a building as it is being built makes that much of a difference? Holy crap. o_O

Normally it takes a sentry 10 seconds to build. If you're hitting it, it takes 5.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Considering what I do with 100% speed, 150% speed could be really interesting

Gumpy on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    On the one hand, quicker back door bases, on the other hand, no lvl 3 teleporters behind enemy lines.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Aw, and I was so looking forward to the speed gloves. Clearly Valve hates heavies.

I still think a heavy with his fists out should be able to grab nearby scouts and tear them in half.

Fats on
  • Options
    Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Clearly the idea is to build the sentry and then go back to the spawn for metal while switching out wrenches so you can upgrade.

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    davincie wrote: »
    On the one hand, quicker back door bases, on the other hand, no lvl 3 teleporters behind enemy lines.

Once you got a lvl1 up someone else can upgrade it from spawn.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gumpy wrote: »

Considering what I do with 100% speed, 150% speed could be really interesting

It's not 150% speed, it's 250% speed. That would be quite awesome, but it would also mean no L3 dispensers or teleporters. Not a big deal for 5CP maps, but I wish they would do something about the spawn relocation problem.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Or other people could upgrade your goddamn teleporters. Use my quick engi script people!

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Clearly the idea is to build the sentry and then go back to the spawn for metal while switching out wrenches so you can upgrade.

Seriously? The idea is to build disposable turrets in the middle of a battle zone for kills. Why would you need to build it that fast if it was in a safe enough place to go to and from spawn to upgrade it?

Zek on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fats wrote: »

Aw, and I was so looking forward to the speed gloves. Clearly Valve hates heavies.

I still think a heavy with his fists out should be able to grab nearby scouts and tear them in half.

Wow, talk about nerfing out of the gate. the 50% damage reduction is completely fine for a heavy speed bonus

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Wow, talk about nerfing out of the gate. the 50% damage reduction is completely fine for a heavy speed bonus

It's a beta, it will probably change.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    that script is not that useful it saves 1 key press. I either hit a key bound to switch engie or i hit ',' and then '6'.

I don't think that is really going to make people save sapped teles faster or help during setup.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It depends on the speed bonus. I mean, even with a small one, how often do you really melee stuff as heavy? You would more often with these gloves because of the speed bonus, and that's why I think a double nerf is really necessary to make it work. I would still use these gloves if they made me as fast as a pyro.

Edit: The quick engi script is useful for me at least, I've gotten used to just pressing , then clicking the class I want, so I can just have this bound to my keypad enter and it's just a quick smash away to fixing teleporters, which has worked many times for me.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Err the gloves could do 0 damage and they would still be a huge, massive, no-brainer upgrade over the other melee weapons without another downside. Even now I think they'd be an obvious upgrade since they don't do anything to you when you're not equipping them. I think the health drain is a decent idea, it's not that big a problem since you can grab a medpack or get healed on the way from spawn, but it makes it a little less effective as an escape tool which might have been overkill.

Zek on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I killed two snipers on pipeline last night as scout. They had big time tunnel vision going on, trying to snipe my teammates, and I blew both of them to bits without taking any damage. This was right around the time my team started complaining that no one was counter-sniping.

I felt pretty cool running for doing that.. not so much for killing the snipers, they're easy once you get up behind them, but managing to avoid the entire enemy team in the process.
    Hrm you were the fastest class in the game, with a double jump, on the craziest back alley/rooftop/flankmachine map ever.

Unbelievable.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    how often do you really melee stuff as heavy?

All the time.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It depends on the speed bonus.

I was looking forward to being a really fast fisting heavy, that's all. I guess for normal play you're probably right, though honestly I still use fists enough to think twice about that 50% reduction.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    xzzy wrote: »

Hrm you were the fastest class in the game, with a double jump, on the craziest back alley/rooftop/flankmachine map ever.

Unbelievable.

Rakuen Callisto, Pride killer.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg