As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Running Red Alert 2 on XP

Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Is there any way to do this? I installed the game and what I assume is the latest patch, but I got the same result when I tried running it on compatibility mode for 98, 95 and 2000, which is to say no result. The icon would appear on the task bar only after I'd opened the task manager.

Mister Longbaugh on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    RA2 is finicky on XP - compatibility mode won't help.

Make sure the disc is clean.

Now, when you run it, if it hangs at the "Red Alert 2" splash for more than 10 or so seconds, ALT-CTRL-DELETE and kill the RA2 process. Run RA2 again. If it will work, it will start instantly. If it hangs, keep killing the process.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It doesn't hang at the splash screen, when the splash screen shows up at all, it's only there for a second, and it's gone. After that it seems like the desktop has locked up, but I can bring up the task manager to kill the process, and then I can see the icon in the task bar.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Weird.

Unfortunately you'll just have to keep trying to run it. Strangely, every time I finally got it to run, as long as I didn't restart the computer it would work every time I started it (was working on some custom maps)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Are you running WinXP with Service Pack 2? From doing some quick searching it looks like SP2 has helped people run it. There's not much out there tho - looks like this newer game is harder to run on XP than the original Red Alert!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Note, I'm only saying this because I own the game. All of my issues were solved by using a no cdcrack. I believe most of the issues were caused by the copy protection software.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jhunter46 wrote:
    Note, I'm only saying this because I own the game. All of my issues were solved by using a no cdcrack. I believe most of the issues were caused by the copy protection software.

This pisses me off so fucking much. RA2 is one of my favorite games and I can't play it for more than 5 minutes without it crashing on me. I have SP2 and everything, it takes a couple tries to get it running and once the action starts it crashes to desktop.

Walter on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    jhunter46 wrote:

I'll give that a shot, then.

Mister Longbaugh on