As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat Won't Shut Up

DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty DameRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm watching this cat for a friend of mine who is moving. The set-up is likely to last for three months or so. The cat is very sweet and pleasant, and loves to be pet and cuddled. So at the end of the night, I say goodnight to the kitty, go into my room, and shut the door.

That is when the torture begins.

"Meow? Meow? Meow? Meow? MEOW? Meow? MEOWMEOWMEOWMEOW Meow?"

Again, she is a very nice cat, but this is not cool. Letting her sleep in the room with me is not an option, as I sleep in a loft bed and she can see every time I turn over and so she continues her chorus even louder.

Help me make this cat shut up, please

Didgeridoo on

• Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    lock it in a room you can't hear?

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bring her up on the bed loft with you?

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Did you feed the cat? They won't leave you alone if you do that, you know.

kitch on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You're screwed.

Getting a cat to change a behavior is as much fun for you as it is for them.

Honestly: Buy earplugs. Your best shot at changing the behavior is to ignore it and convince the little devil that it isn't an effective way to get your attention. The earplugs would be for the week or two it takes to make the point.

Also, cats tend to get pissed when they don't have free rein of the house. If you try the "close your door" method, it may leave you with an even more insistent kitty. Again, that is exactly what the earplugs are for.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you manage to ignore it for several nights it will probably give up eventually (though it might not).

Until then,
    Web-Ear-Plugs.jpg

oldsak on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Leaving the door open but squirting her with a squirt gun whenever she starts to meow at you may work. It depends on how smart the cat is. Our cat isn't terribly smart, so if I zap her with the squirt gun she runs off and keeps quiet. A smarter cat may just decide to hide somewhere you can't reach and meow from there. You won't know until you try!

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why can't the cat sleep on the loft bed?

Quid on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    oldsak wrote: »
    If you manage to ignore it for several nights it will probably give up eventually
    You're screwed.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My cat does the exact same thing at night. He lays on my bed while I'm getting ready to go to sleep. I get in bed, he goes out into the living room and howls, regardless of whether or not he has food and water.

If I get out of bed to check him out he runs off to a different bedroom as if he wants me to follow, but if I ignore him he'll stop eventually. But what works and what doesn't is probably a case by case basis.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Buy a cheap laser-pointer and about 30 minutes before you go to bed, wear it the fuck out. Cats are most active just after dusk and just after dawn, If you play with it for 30 minutes and exhaust it, it will probably go pass out for 8-9 hours.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Buy a cheap laser-pointer and about 30 minutes before you go to bed, wear it the fuck out. Cats are most active just after dusk and just after dawn, If you play with it for 30 minutes and exhaust it, it will probably go pass out for 8-9 hours.

This. It may not, probably won't, shut 'em up completely, but it'll help. Cats do like attention. They get bored.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Your cat will not stop doing this. My cat does this all the freakin' time, and it drives me nuts...

I just lock him in the bathroom now, with his litterpan, food and water and he's fine.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Your cat will not stop doing this. My cat does this all the freakin' time, and it drives me nuts...

I just lock him in the bathroom now, with his litterpan, food and water and he's fine.

Doing that and also turning the light off helps.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My kitty would sit outside the door and meow if I didn't get up on weekends at the normal weekday time. So I got a squirt bottle, and one morning when he was meowing, squirted him with it, pretty much mid-howl. He shot off, and doesn't meow at the door anymore.

He will still wait for me to get up and be slightly annoyed that I took so long and therefore demand extra attention, but he got the message.

I have a fairly sensible kitty tho. Don't know if your friend's cat would get the hint.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm going to start off with the 'ignore and wait until cat gets bored" technique and if that doesn't work I'll go for the squirting water under the door. Hopefully the kitty will get the picture.

Oh, and the reason she can't sleep in the loft bed with me is that it's pretty much a vertical climb to get up to my bed, and she wouldn't be able to get down if she got hungry, thirsty, or needed to use the bathroom.

Edit: and yes, she has plenty of food and water.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bring the cat to Erandus' neighbor's house

Rent on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It could be that the change in living arrangements has made Kitty rather high-strung and this is how she expresses it. Cats can't exactly say, "My human is gone and I don't like it. Cuddle me and tell me you won't go away too!"

Our cats used to howl a lot when they were adopted. (They came from a litter of six and a very protective mom.) They've since calmed down, but they still howl when we come back from vacation.

If you have a room that's out of earshot of your bedroom, lock her in there for the night with food, water and litterbox. If you want, throw in a few toys and an old shirt or blanket (something with your scent on it). After a few days, give her free reign again. If she starts whining again, put her in the room. She'll eventually get the message.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm going to start off with the 'ignore and wait until cat gets bored" technique and if that doesn't work I'll go for the squirting water under the door. Hopefully the kitty will get the picture.

Oh, and the reason she can't sleep in the loft bed with me is that it's pretty much a vertical climb to get up to my bed, and she wouldn't be able to get down if she got hungry, thirsty, or needed to use the bathroom.

You'd be surprised where cats can get to. I didn't know mine could leap directly from the floor to the top of the fridge, for example.

In one jump. :P

With this kitty, just remember that every time you open the door to try and chase her off, you're just rewarding her behavior with attention. The more you ignore, the faster they pick up that they're not getting anywhere.

Aurin on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Rent wrote: »

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is there a reason why you shut your bedroom door at night?

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Aurin wrote: »

You'd be surprised where cats can get to. I didn't know mine could leap directly from the floor to the top of the fridge, for example.

In one jump. :P

Um, yeah. Unless the cat has arthritis or a broken hip, anywhere you can climb to he can climb to. In fact, a lot of places you wouldn't easily be able to jump or climb up to or off of a cat will be more than capable of accessing.

I don't know what the solution is though, unfortunately. I had this same problem when we agreed to look after my sister's cat when she went on holiday. We figured it would be easier to just have him stay with us rather than stopping by each day to feed him. Kept us awake all night and no matter how much attention we gave him he kept miaowing non stop. Eventually we just took him back to my sisters flat and I stopped by every day to clean out his litter, feed him and give him a bit of company for half an hour. Better that than being driven insane.

I hear she loans him out to overseas internment camps now. They put a POW in a room with him for a night, separated by a wire mesh fence. By morning they confess to any charges presented to them before clawing their own eyes out and garroting themselves with their own tongue. It's really sped up processing of prisoners.

I guess the only solution if you can't bear it any more is to discuss having a cattery look after him for the duration of the move.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A bed eight feet off the ground isn't too high for a cat. Though if you're concerned you could always stack a couple boxes next to it to give him something easier to jump down to.

Barring of course the aforementioned arthritis, etc.

Quid on
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For rebellious cats, make them do what you don't want them to do. I take my cat into bed and make her sit down there until she is like screw this, I'm going to the kitchen.

Also, feed it earlier. My cat is always really hyper for a few hours after she gets her treat.

exmello on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    A bed eight feet off the ground isn't too high for a cat. Though if you're concerned you could always stack a couple boxes next to it to give him something easier to jump down to.

Barring of course the aforementioned arthritis, etc.

Yeah, eight feet is no big thing, but you can just get a cheap strip of carpet from home depot for cheap if you want. They usually sell 3ft wide 8ft long sections for almost nothing. Punch a pair of holes in it and use some zip-ties and just hang it off the foot of the bed, the cat will have no problem whatsoever getting up or down.

Edit: or you can get a platformed cat-tree on semi-equal height and the cat will probably just sleep on it near you. It probably just hates being alone.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What kind of meows are these? Are they long, deep-throated howling? Every cat I've had used to do this until we got them fixed. Then they stopped completely.

Especially if it's a she. She may be in heat. Is the cat fixed?

You could always try tiring her out during the day so she'll sleep at night. Just poke and annoy her to keep her from sleeping during the day too much. We did this while we were waiting for ours to have the operation.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    What kind of meows are these? Are they long, deep-throated howling? Every cat I've had used to do this until we got them fixed. Then they stopped completely.

Especially if it's a she. She may be in heat. Is the cat fixed?

You could always try tiring her out during the day so she'll sleep at night. Just poke and annoy her to keep her from sleeping during the day too much. We did this while we were waiting for ours to have the operation.

I didn't even think to ask that, this is true of all cats I've ever had. Until they're fixed they really really want to make noise, even when not in heat.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    its threads like these that make me glad my cats wait for me to go to bed and then jump up and curl up in the crook of my arm

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can almost guarantee that the cat is "looking" for its owner.

Some cats just love meowing when you're asleep, but the non-stop meowing is often a "hello! Hello!!!" type of meow. If you take two cats and separate them, within a short amount of time they'll start meowing for each other because they're looking for the other cat. The same is true for a cat that's used to being around people and is suddenly alone.

If you're cool with the cat sleeping in your bed, then the easy option is to leave the door open. If you're not, that's cool, you'll just have to put the cat in a room at least 2 doors away and make sure it's got some comfy stuff.

We've got one cat that likes to meow at 4-5am because he wants us to play with him. If one of us gets out of bed (I usually just get up and go to the bathroom, since he's woken me up), he purrs like crazy and is super happy that one of us got out of bed. And then he follows me back into the bedroom and is quiet again. It's not every night, and so some days (when we want a nice long sleep), we'll play with him a lot to tire him out.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My roommates cat does this and it is so goddamn annoying. Luckily it's not at night so much, but when i get home from work, the last thing i want to hear is a hour of meowing from the top of the stairs. if the damn thing will come downstairs, i will pet it! but hell if i'm at it's beck and call. lucky me, she is probably going to be away for the rest of the week. ugh.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mts wrote: »
    its threads like these that make me glad my cats wait for me to go to bed and then jump up and curl up in the crook of my arm

my cat waits for me to get into bed then walks all over my face

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    I'm guessing the dog would eat the cat, being starved for food that is not bread. Or maybe my fucking neighbor would.

To the OP: Wear the cat out before you go to bed. The laser pointer is the best idea, followed by some good belly rubbins' once he's worn out and wont chase anymore. If you play play play play with the cat and then go to bed and fucking ignore it, eventually the cat may learn "about now is playtime and then it's quiet time and I get ignored." It might work, it might not. At the very least, it may shut up long enough for you to fall asleep and ignore it the rest of the night.

DO NOT under any circumstances acknowledge the cat's existence once you have gone to bed. Cats learn how to get what they want almost instantly. Teaching them to give you what you want, way different story.

If you don't mind it sleeping with you, problem solved. If your bed is 8 feet tall, put something 4 feet tall next to it. The cat will have no problems whatsoever making those jumps.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you get a laser pointer, make sure to get one that is less than (trying to remember the number here) 0.05? intensity/wavelength? Most pointers are right at 5 and can make the cat go colorblind if the laser hits their eyes for a second or more based on what I've read. I've seem some of the better ones at Petco for around $4.00, so you don't have to spend a lot, just be careful.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    haxormaxhaxormax Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey guys,

My friend just sent me this page and I had to sign up and reply.

We are watching our friends cat. we started 2 weeks ago. My friend, different from the referrer, lives in the second room of our 2 BR apartment. me and my woman live in the master br. Our cat follows us around and goes "MROW" until you talk back.

She is quiet at night. then at 5 in the morning, my friend's alarm goes off. he hits snooze. does this for an hour or 2. She has now recognized when this is gonna happen and waits at his door and meows 10 minutes before his alarm goes off. then sits on her side and gallops on the door. it's awesome.

all last year when I lived with him, he started doing this 5 in the morning alarm crap. and I hated it. I talked to him about it, he didn't change. so I bought ear plugs and a fan to drown out the noise. pay back.

Anyways. Training was going fine, we weren't acknowledging her at all. I think it was either this morning or yesterday that he started charging at her to scare her off. Doesn't this ruin the training?

anytime i hear her, I just turn on the fan. works pretty well. If the cat can't hear you moving around, she won't meow.

haxormax on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    haxormax wrote: »
    I think it was either this morning or yesterday that he started charging at her to scare her off.

What

If this means what I think it means (leaping out of bed, throwing the door open, chasing the cat/scaring the piss out of it) tell your friend to stop being a fucking dick to the cat. This is a terrible way to teach cats anything other than "humans are scary, I need to run from them and stop loving them".

Jesus.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    and I don't think it works very well either. I wasn't awake, so I don't know the specifics. but I'm gonna tell him to just get earplugs and fan (god I can't wait) and tell him to realize that it's an animal with not so high brain power.

haxormax on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    haxormax wrote: »
    and I don't think it works very well either. I wasn't awake, so I don't know the specifics. but I'm gonna tell him to just get earplugs and fan (god I can't wait) and tell him to realize that it's an animal with not so high brain power.

Are you kidding? If cats had opposable thumbs I'm pretty sure I'd be renting a room from my cat.

The real problem is that cats are smart enough to figure out (sometimes very quickly) human behavior patterns. When your roommate's alarm goes off at 5:00am, the cat just hears "someone to feed and play with me! yay!"

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The real problem is that cats are smart enough to figure out (sometimes very quickly) human behavior patterns. When your roommate's alarm goes off at 5:00am, the cat just hears "someone to feed and play with me! yay!"

Exactly. Tell him to set his goddamn alarm for when he actually wants to get up. And if he chases the cat again, squirt him with a squirt bottle.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    Which is exactly why I feed my cat when I get home from work, not before going to work :)

I used to feed him in the morning, and all that ended up happening was him waking me up at 6AM on the weekends and me being grumpy.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    oh I understand that. What I'm saying is, the cat isn't going to process "he doesn't want me to meow right now." it's going to process "oh shit. people are bad"

The logic will fail.

haxormax on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Erandus wrote: »

Exactly. Tell him to set his goddamn alarm for when he actually wants to get up. And if he chases the cat again, squirt him with a squirt bottle.

I told him that last year. the alarm thing. some people just don't know how to get up right away.

haxormax on