As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E IC/OOC]: The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "So, that wizard that just left? Is he a nice, upstanding member of the community here?" Anwar asks Shada.

Elsewhere, the homunculous attempts to jump up to the window, and fails miserably. Then it remembers that it can fly.
    It only has a fly speed of 3 with hover though, so it's slow.

Acrobatics: 5

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lacking much more of a plan, Makar dug down and put on a surprising burst of speed, shooting down Honey St in case their quarry doubled back.
    Sprint! (1d20+1=19)

BOOYAH! Zoom!

Note: No Plate Mail armour penalty as assumed to be using the casual clothes magic of the Imposter's Armour whilst in the bar.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not wanting to retreat back downstairs, Lucan braced himself on the window, keeping his momentum going and bounded out into the air.

Hitting the ground, the wizard stumbled a little, however, he managed to regain his balance and continued the pursuit.
    Acrobatics (1d20+3=18)
    Whew...barely!

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Grumbling to himself about the rashness of youth as Makar barreled ahead like a bull in a china shop, Duragon followed the paladin at a lighter trot. He hadn't yet had time to change out of his armor, though even if he'd had time he probably wouldn't have.

Muttering half-hearted apologies inbetween bellows of "Get out of the way!", he followed in the wake of Makar's desutrction before splitting off at an intersection, tearing down Gold Street towards the source of the commotion.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Landing amid shards of shattered glass, Lucan rolls and nimbly springs up to continue the chase. The loud thump behind him must be Dain, thinks Lucan. The elf is closer now, and surely can't get away much longer. The streets are less crowded here, and he seems to be running out of options. He jinks right and left, dragging what few obstacles he can from the side of the street into your way, but you clear them with ease, and remain focused on your target.
    Lucan can try and dive tackle the elf, while Dain can do the same if he first passes a DC 19 Athletics check to perform a speed burst
    • To tackle him, you can make an acrobatics or athletics check at a level of DC 18.
    • You can modify this roll by another skill check roll of either bluff or insight at DC level 15 to get an extra +2. This roll represents your ability to forsee how he'll try and avoid the dive or an attempt to get him to slow down somehow (by yelling "Hey look in front of you! A badger with a gun! or something).
    Or anything else you can think of.
    The homunculous can roll a speed burst check to catch up with Dain, but can't tackle because he's too small.

Reaching Tanner's Row, Makar sees Duragon lumbering down from the other direction. "They went in here, I think," yells the burly paladin, pointing to a shop-front outside of which a crowd of curious onlookers has gathered. The two dragonborn barrel through the shop and, hearing shouts of alarm on the other side, charge through the back door just in time to see Dain disappear round a corner to the right. And is that Anwar's homunculous as well?
    Makar and Duragon.
    • Follow the homunculous and Dain at either a DC 19 Athletics check to burn some speed.
    • DC 14 Athletics check to keep pace and not lose sight of Dain.
    • Something else.
    For those keeping track, Lucan is still in the lead, followed by Dain, followed by Anwar's familiar a little way behind now, and lagging behind are the two dragonborn.

Bogart on
    edited October 2009
    Back in the bar, Melf casually rejoins the two gnomes and picks up his conversation as if he'd never left.

Shada eyes Anwar speculatively. "He's never given me any trouble before now. His name's Galvar, and he rarely bothers anyone, though he can sometimes be seen in Speaker's Square making long speeches about the dangers of wizardry in the hands of the rich and unscrupulous. Bit of a do-gooder, really."

Bogart on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dain easily catches up to Lucan, "No use letting the big boys catch up at this point!"

Close enough to almost touch him, Dain leaps into the Elf, knocking him down to the pavement hard.

"I told ye I'd catch ye! Now how about you do some talking with my friends and I? We're good people."

streever on
    edited October 2009
    "Speaker's square, eh?" If Anwar's homunculous was around, it would very clearly be showing his disappointment over Galvar being a "do-gooder."

"Maybe it's just me but this doesn't seem like the kind of town where there'd be a lot of cause for concern about that kinda thing. But then I suppose every rose has its thorns and all?"

Sena stops flying around and moves forward. Much like Anwar would, it rapidly grows disinterested in chasing this prey. There were no doubt other, slower moving things about to stalk.

Athletics (Sena): 3

tastydonuts on
    edited October 2009
    Everbody gets 150xp for the succesful skill challenge!

Bogart on
    edited October 2009
    Dain sits atop the squirming elf's chest as his comrades gather around him. The two dragonborn loom menacingly above the prone figure, and Lucan's fingertips sparkle with barely concealed sparks of magical activity. The elf thrusts his jaw out pugnaciously towards Dain. "Go ahead. Kill me if you like. Take my head to Shakor as proof of your willingness to kill for his filthy money. Help him to find the orb and drown this city in darkness! Others will take my place!"

Bogart on
    edited October 2009
    "You have the wrong idea, friend. We killed a dozen of his dirty bird men to save a young boy they'd enslaved. Sorry if I gave ye the wrong idea, but I was tryin' to find some info without him hearin' back on it."

streever on
    edited October 2009
    "Pah! A likely story."
    Perhaps a diplomacy check would convince him?

Bogart on
    edited October 2009
    Dain shrugs. "One a you big fellows want to talk some sense into this guy"
    Too bad I'm not a cheater! I could pretend my assist was the actual skill check :) I rolled a straight 19 in Diplomacy to assist Jamwarrior (makar has a +5, best bonus out of those of us here) I think you get a +2 from my assistance. ASSIST in diplomacy: 1d20+0 19

streever on
    edited October 2009
    By the way, are my skills right? I was noticing it during the chase, but I think I might be one skill short. I'm not sure whether I start with Religion trained 'free' or not. If I do, I think I might have one skill that I didn't train on accident.

Dac on
    edited October 2009
    yea, you are shy one skill. Religion is free for Cleric.

Your options are:
    Arcana, History, Diplomacy

I highly recommend Diplomacy--Melf has History, and Lucan/Anwar are Arcana!

I'd go with Diplomacy & then you can make the skill roll at +9+2 (for my assistance) +11 total!

streever on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure it was okay with Boggie. I noticed it back during the chase scene when I started looking for my Diplomacy mod (not realizing at the time that I could not, in fact, use Diplomacy, being one of the lagging characters) and then looked at the Cleric stat box.

If that's okay with Bogart, I'll mark down Diplo as my extra skill and roll.

Dac on
    edited October 2009
    That sounds fine to me, Dac.

Bogart on
    edited October 2009
    ITT: Min/maxing all up ins

streever on
    edited October 2009
    Sena, bored with conversation after the chase runs, flies and otherwise propels itself back to Anwar.

tastydonuts on
    edited October 2009
    "It's the truth," Duragon rumbled, coming up to the fallen elf. His sensitive ears had caught every word. "The boy is back at the inn. We can take you there right now, if that's what it'll take for you to get it through your head."

Someone might have thrown him a filthy look, but he just shrugged. His way of being diplomatic was to be blunt, not necessarily polite. "If we were working for Shakor, we'd have killed you already. Why would we bother with this charade?" He shook his head. "Now... Tell us about this 'orb' that Shakor's looking for."

Dac on
    edited October 2009
    The elf stops squirming and eyes you suspiciously. "Let's say I believe you. Let me up." Dain shrugs and raises himself from the elf's chest. The elf, who introduces himself warily as Galvar, rubs his bruised ribs as he relates his story.

"I've been trying to find out where Shakor's mine is for a while now. He's trying to recover an orb of tremendous power, but I fear he wants to find it for ill purposes. I have only met him once, but the old man had the stink of deviltry about him. The orb is reputed to be some sort of demonic power source, buried so that the unwise or evil might not misuse it, and now Shakor has apparently found out its location. Tell me, what have you learned of his work? And do you know where he is? He has not returned to the city for many days."

Bogart on
    edited October 2009
    Makar stood back from the conversation, glad to see the new recruit had such a way with words.

He instead concentrated his efforts on discerning the honesty and motivations of Galvar. If only he could get past the immensely distracting fact that the elf somehow really reminded of a young Billy Scuggins, his childhood nemesis in the eternal squabbles of the village children when he grew up. Oh those halcyon days back at the temple, the sun always shone and... hmmm? Where was I?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2009
    "We're strangers to these parts. We know less than you--that's why we chased you, actually."

"Look, we saved a little boy who'd been put to work in those mines. His whole village has been carted off. We have to get rid of Shakor, but we didn't want to walk in there clueless. Don't hold back anything, tell us what you can."

streever on
    edited October 2009
    "I can help you only a little, I am afraid. I have Shakor's address, but I do not think it has been occupied for many days. It lies on the Street of Knives, on the northern side of the city. I would counsel you to beware of that quarter, and take but little gold with you unless you wish to hire sellswords and assassains. You should be able to contact me through the receptionist at The Griffon's Wing - he keeps my mail for me, as I suspect other eyes would examine it were it to drop on my doorstep."

He grips your arm and stares into your eyes. "The orb must remain hidden. If you are able to discover the whereabouts of the mine I beg you to destroy it. Shakor's home may hold clues, but I think I have made my hatred of him all too plain, and I dare not go near his home for fear of a knife in my back."

Bogart on
  • AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lucan watches the conversation with interest, he wished to participate in the conversation; however, the chase had taken the breath away from him.

He almost jumps back at the elf’s outburst.

"We get it, the orb is important," he says irritably. “Yet it appears that you won’t do anything about it because there could be some danger involved and you don't want to get your hands dirty." He sighs in frustration. "If this orb is as dangerous as you claim, then surely there’s more information about it somewhere, some historical record. After all, evil demonic orbs don’t fall out of the sky.”

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
    edited October 2009
    Makar racked his brains to see if this orb reminded him of anything, especially crossing it with the crazy 'Back In Time' theory.
    History (1d20+6=12)

Well, there was a tiny chance I might have rolled higher than Lucan...

"And who is it you work for, Elf? What other party is so interested in stopping Shakor in his plans?

What does this orb do anyway?"

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2009
    "I have only found hints of the orb's nature in the archives of Khare's library. I suspect Shakor has removed most of the documents himself and stashed them in his home. It seems to be tied to a demon of great power, and is either the repository for some of the demon's stolen power or something that will increase it tenfold. If Shakor is after it he must be somehow in league with the demon, or has entered into a bargain with it."

He gives Lucan a peevish look. "I have not moved against Shakor myself because I am but one soul against he and all his hired thugs. The authorities want nothing to do with disturbing someone as well-connected as he seems to be, and have treated my pleading with disdain. But you have actually seen the evidence with your own eyes. You understand the danger."

You have been walking back to The Griffon's Wing as you talked, passing an irate tanner and several bemused stallholders on the way. reaching the inn, Galvar bids you goodbye, "if you have no further questions", and you re-enter the bar to looks of polite inquiry from many of the customers. Anwar still stands at the bar, and is in conversation with Shada, while Melf is discussing the price of chemicals with two gnomes.

Bogart on
    edited October 2009
    "Give me the address, Galvar. We'll take care of this."

streever on
    edited October 2009
    Galvar scribbles down the addres of Shakor's home and bids you farewell.
    I am off for most of the weekend to a wedding, but you guys should figure out if you want to chase down Shakor or do something else in the city.

Bogart on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Melf shakes hands with Udo, one of the gnomes that he has been in deep conversation with, sealing a deal between the two. "At that price, I can't refuse!", says the old gnome with a smile on his face.

As the elf-hunting posse roll in the doors, apparently without their quarry, Melf makes his excuses, leaving the table and rushing over to find out what the story is. "Well, lads, whats the story?"

Purchase 2 lots of Alchemist's Fire - Adventurer's Vault pg 24, 40g

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Makar meets the gazes of the staring patrons as they re-enter the bar.

"He owed the Dwarf a gold piece," he offered to the room by way of explanation. This seemed to satisfy the crowds who all knew about the relationship between Dwarves and Gold and people returned to their drinks.

With that he returns to their table and gathers the party for a de-briefing session, explaining what they have learned from the Elf to those who were absent.

"This seems to warrant further investigation if nothing else, though the Elf seemed to be trustworthy enough to me. This Shakor has certainly not done anything to earn the respect of anyone we've met so far and he hangs out with the worst sort of men, well birds. The question is, do we pay him a visit now or in the morning? The secondary question leading on from that one being, are we knocking on the front door, knocking in the front door, or something a bit more subtle?"
    Do we have any stealthy party members? Assuming we're avoiding the full frontal charge I think we might do better at a bit of bluffing and diplomacy in the morning. And looking at our skills, by 'we' I really mean 'Anwar' :P

All other suggestions welcome.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2009
    "Though the Elf did say he hasn't been spotted at home in some time. What do ye all think? Should we just knock down the door & rifle through his house? and what are we going to do with the lad? Mayhap we should see if the elf can take care of him when we assault the mine?"

streever on
    edited October 2009
    While you've been out chasing elves through market stalls, the boy has been making himself useful around the hotel. He passes you as you re-enter the bar, carrying two bags for a new guest. The receptionist gives you a wink. "Useful lad there. He'll be fine."

Bogart on
    edited October 2009
    "Perhaps a little intelligence gathering would be in order then. Ascertain the lie of the land now at least, then decide on a suitable course of action to follow. Anyone for a moonlight stroll gents?"
    Suggest we nonchalantly stroll by Shakor's address at dusk. Unless it's dark now in which case time is a wasting and we should be off!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2009
    seconded! Motion carries, motion approved.

streever on
    edited October 2009
    It'll be a fair few hours until dusk, so you can shop around the city if you wish, or just sip an ale or two.

Bogart on
    edited October 2009
    I've been bedridden the last few days, but I'll try to get something up. Just letting you guys know that I am still alive.

Dac on
    edited October 2009
    Duragon flicked his eyes over the boy. He seemed to be doing some sort of work for the establishment. Not exactly the most low-profile of things he could do. But then, the inn - comfortable and clean as it was - was probably the last place the bird men were going to poke their beaks in.

It'd do.

"Feh," Duragon grunted and waved his hand. "Like he said, the elf made it sound as if Shakor hasn't been home in a while. We should look through there - maybe even tonight. Shakor might have left a few guards at his house to make it inconvenient, but there's no way we're going to bluff our way through the front door; not without more help, anyway."

He moved to stand, nodding to Makar. "Alright; I'll join you."

With a few hours left till dusk, Duragon went to the bar to negotiate the terms of the boy's stay at the inn.

Dac on
    edited October 2009
    Shada is happy for the boy to work at the inn, at least temporarily.
    I take it that you're all happy to wait until dark before checking out Shakor's place? OK, we'll skip ahead to doing that.

Bogart on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Melf nods his head in assent with the plan of action. "Well, if thats the plan, I'm going to go and get some kip. I'll be down for dinner."
    Sounds good to me

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg