As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MFA Programs Admission Help!

The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, to make a long story short, after screwing-up in school and then getting out into the workforce I have pledged myself to attending an MFA program for Poetry in the Fall of 2010. I attended Skidmore and worked with Carolyn Forche from 2003-2007, leaving their program with a GPA of about 3.4 and an English department GPA of 3.9. I took my GRE last year and was happy, but not overjoyed by my score and am toying with taking the exam again. If I do, I’ll have to make that decision very soon. I have not yet published any work, and have just gotten back into the swing of things with actually producing writing.

I am in the process of writing my letters of intent, collecting my reference letters and putting together a manuscript for admission.

Now where I've gotten stuck is really on looking into the actual programs available. My list so far consists of professor recommendations and some no-brainer reach schools:

Iowa
UNH
Michigan
Emerson
Cornell
UMass Amherst (Safety, hopefully)

I am a resident of Massachusetts, and unfortunately there aren't too many programs in my area aside from UMass. I am not opposed (and, in fact, it would probably be a good thing) to go far away out of state.

I understand that the most important aspect of admission for MFA programs is the manuscript, and even a poor student with some serious skills has a shot at getting into a good program if the work is of quality. This is my priority, right now, and I'm working hard to revise, review and edit my work in preparation.

My writing (some) can be found at autonomousdesire, if anyone is curious.

I'm wondering if anyone has any help or advice concerning the admissions process. Specifically, if there are any balls-to-the-wall awesome programs out there that I may not know about, or any tips that I need to know going into the process.

Thank you!

3rddocbottom.jpg
The Crowing One on

• Options
    CausticWitCausticWit Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    NYU's MFA program is really good, I went there for undergrad and took a lot of courses in the creative writing department. Specifically I focused on Poetry, and in my experience, the program seemed to favor people with a diverse and unique perspective.

CausticWit on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CausticWit wrote: »
    NYU's MFA program is really good, I went there for undergrad and took a lot of courses in the creative writing department. Specifically I focused on Poetry, and in my experience, the program seemed to favor people with a diverse and unique perspective.

I've actually been hearing this all over the place. NYU got Charles Simic, apparently, and he's doing some amazing things with their program. Cost is tight, though, to what I understand.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg