As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40,000: Angels, Bugs, & Power-armored Hugs

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    XOCentric wrote: »
    I've got this nutty idea brewing to use 3x boomwagon's (looted wagon w/ boomgun and maybe a few other gubbinz).

Has anyone seen this in action? Is it valid?

Coupling this w/ a battery of lobbaz seems like a fun idea with lots of random shooting. :D

3 Boomgunz would do very bad things to your enemy. It's would be almost too good, some people might have issues playing against it...

Also, 3 looted wagons are 3 heavy support choices. How would you fit a lobbaz battery in your list as well?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    After finishing the first Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus in about 3 days, I stopped reading for a few months... Not really sure why. But! I picked up the second omnibus off my dresser the other night and I'm a book and a half into it now. I absolutely love Dan Abnett. Such good books

Nax when you finish that ive got traitor general, his last command and the armor of contempt if you wanna borrow them.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    Only if that fire is fueled by C.S. Goto first. I wondered if he could be as bad as everyone said, and then I read his entry in the 'Let the Galaxy Burn' anthology. Good lord was that an abomination.

Which one was that? I've read that too but it was a while ago..

Oh, and in one book, C.S. Goto had a falcon get destroyed because some teenagers climbed onto it and threw rocks into the pulse laser barrel. It back fired and blew up.

I think he also had a terminator flying around with a jump pack fighting someone in mid-air.

That sound you hear is me puking my organs out in disgust.

What next? A marine dual wielding a Tyranid gun and a necron gun that he ripped off while riding a deamon?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ayana wrote: »

I am Nax's girlfriend. He's been playing 40k for quite a while now. I thought I wanted to play when he first got into it but it just seemed overwhelming with all of the information and rules and pretty much something I couldn't find time for. That and it's pretty expensive. To double the output from our incomes for two sets of materials, armies, etc... seemed difficult.

Since I didn't want the expense of 40k but Nax and I wanted a game we could play together outside of our holes in front of our computers, we decided on DnD. I thought a couple PHb's, ONE model and some dice and we're done. We started playing DnD and I loved it.

DnD was the gateway drug for me. I learned what it meant to paint with just one model instead of 20. I learned the basics of rolling to hit and rolling for damage. I learned how to allocate attacks and save or use special powers. I learned to choose abilities strategically- all on a smaller scale. It also helped that Nax and I quit WoW around the same time and I suddenly had a lot more time on my hands than I thought:)

I don't know if we hadn't played DnD if SH would have done it for me or not but if it doesn't work for you, try DnD. It helped me feel like if I could manage to do all of the basics in DnD, I can do it on a somewhat larger scale in 40k and get it. I'm learning, I think, and I'm having a lot of fun. If I could just get Nax to stop tabling me, I think I'd enjoy the game much more. :)

Hey thanks Ayana. But no DnD for her. She has told me she would never play DnD. She also does not play video games. I and some of our friends got her to play a couple of Vampire: The Masquerade games (tabletop, not video game), and she seemed to have fun with that. But she has vehemently declared that she is not a gamer on more than a few occasions. She is a hard case, for sure.

She does want to paint some models like a cat from the WHFB line and some squigs, though. And she has a borderline-frightful love for robots. She really liked the Transformers movies, which I find somewhat fascinating. So baby steps, I guess. I will need to have much patience.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Not all of them. James Swallow and his abominations they call blood angel novels can go die in a fire

I've heard horrible, HORRIBLE, things about C.S. Goto and the Blood Raven books.

They are awful, tough to read awful. Every marine is like paper unless its the main char and then he cannot be killed even if he takes a las cannon to the face.

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not all of them. James Swallow and his abominations they call blood angel novels can go die in a fire

I've heard horrible, HORRIBLE, things about C.S. Goto and the Blood Raven books.

They are awful, tough to read awful. Every marine is like paper unless its the main char and then he cannot be killed even if he takes a las cannon to the face.

Does he dodge the lascannon shot in slow-mo like Neo?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Only if that fire is fueled by C.S. Goto first. I wondered if he could be as bad as everyone said, and then I read his entry in the 'Let the Galaxy Burn' anthology. Good lord was that an abomination.

Oh, and in one book, C.S. Goto had a falcon get destroyed because some teenagers climbed onto it and threw rocks into the pulse laser barrel. It back fired and blew up.

I think he also had a terminator flying around with a jump pack fighting someone in mid-air.

What next? A marine dual wielding a Tyranid gun and a necron gun that he ripped off while riding a deamon?

This happens in a James Swallow book.

ok, not really, but they are that bad

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The one that starts off with the imperial bureaucrat demonstrating how his routine has followed the exact same pattern for years, goes on to slapstick antics with a ladder, has a researcher whose special interest is the Vindicaire assassin temple, and that the temple is on the exact same planet as the research institute the story is set in, and ends with the very unsubtle assassination of the head of the institute by a vindicaire assassin, which apprently happens every few years when the temple feels the head of the institute has learned too much about them.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Does he dodge the lascannon shot in slow-mo like Neo?

practically, it always glances off some piece of something or other that saves his life

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scribemite wrote: »
    She does want to paint some models like a cat from the WHFB line and some squigs, though. And she has a borderline-frightful love for robots. She really liked the Transformers movies, which I find somewhat fascinating. So baby steps, I guess. I will need to have much patience.

Sounds like she'd like Warmachine, or Hordes. Warmachine has steam-punky robots and Hordes has monsters or varing sorts.
    Here's some Warmachine Warjacks... this is just one of the 6 sides, each has a different style

And here's some fuzzy Warbeasts from Hordes. Again, one side, different for the others. Poke around.

You only need 10-15 models to have a medium sized army for either one, so it's very feasible to have that AND get a warhammer army. Lord knows I have a couple...

Oh, and Warmachine and Hordes use the same ruleset, so they can fight against eachother if you get one too.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

If I remember correctly, his idea of assault marines are marines that use jetpacks to hover over the battlefield so they can drop grenades.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Witchcraft, Heresy, and Mutation!

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited September 2009

What? I can't hear you over the sound my bolt pistol is making while I rack its slide. Now where did I leave my fancy red and black hat...

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I can't stop myself from hearing this in that (gloriously) over done Cannoness voice from Soulstorm. Fixed it to be more accurate.

Pity the game sucked so back on the balance front :(.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

They are awful, tough to read awful. Every marine is like paper unless its the main char and then he cannot be killed even if he takes a MULTILASER to the face.

Does he dodge the MULTILASER shot in slow-mo like Neo?

practically, it always glances off some piece of something or other that saves his life

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AyanaAyana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Apogee wrote: »

I can't stop myself from hearing this in that (gloriously) over done Cannoness voice from Soulstorm. Fixed it to be more accurate.

Pity the game sucked so back on the balance front :(.

I am convinced the Fem-bot from Futurama does this voice.

Ayana on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The fembot does the missionary voice :)

Nax on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The fembot does the missionary voice :)

awful, but funny

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's more like it!

Bjorn and Canis are by far my favorite HQ's. Ragnar is a combat monster!!!

Bjorn is armour 13/12/10 with a built in 5+ inv. save he is also a ven dread. he comes with a assault cannon but u can give him a plasma cannon for FREE with a BS 0f 6!!!! he has 4 base attacks at I3 and WS6. all this for 270pts. he allows all frendly ubits with (iirc) 12" to reroll moral. if he is killed all SW become feerless and becomes a new objective to be captured.

Canis is riding a HUGe wolf ... and the model looks great. he allows Fen. Wolf pack to become Troops. and there is a unit of wolf riders . Canis has 5 base attacks but if he gets surounded he goes crazy and get one attck for evry model in base contact.he has a pair of wolf claws. hes S5 T5 bc he is riding the wolf.

Ragnar gives himself and the unit he joins d3 extra attacks on the charge. he already has 5 built in. with WS6 and S5 thanks to his Sword hes a tornado in combat. Put Ragnar in a unit of Blood Claws and it a distructive combo because the BC get +2 attack on the charge.

Ulrik is back and hes pissed LOL hes gives the unit he joins prefered enemy angainst a unit type he chooses at the start of the game.

Logan is a true comander. he gives special rules to any unit he joins i cant remember them all but one of the is relentless. othe then that he has not changed much.

The trickster is a BC uite upgrade. And he could be a lot of fun.

The Thammer thrower is S10. he throws the hammer 6" at S10 AP1 assault 1. and he gets an extra attack for his shield.

that all i can remember at the moment ill try and get us some more!!!!"

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeeeea, realizing now that was poorly worded :)

Nax on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just today finished the Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium omnibus. It's fantastic. There's so may little jokes that I'm sure I missed more than a few.

For example, from a chapter heading (not verbatim): "Don't expect gratitude and you'll rarely be disappointed." - Eyor Dedonki, Memoirs of a Pessimist. Read the name out loud. That one killed me for some reason.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Matrias wrote: »
    That's more like it!

Bjorn is armour 13/12/10 with a built in 5+ inv. save he is also a ven dread. he comes with a assault cannon but u can give him a plasma cannon for FREE with a BS 0f 6!!!! he has 4 base attacks at I3 and WS6. all this for 270pts. he allows all frendly ubits with (iirc) 12" to reroll moral. if he is killed all SW become feerless and becomes a new objective to be captured.

Canis is riding a HUGe wolf ... and the model looks great. he allows Fen. Wolf pack to become Troops. and there is a unit of wolf riders . Canis has 5 base attacks but if he gets surounded he goes crazy and get one attck for evry model in base contact.he has a pair of wolf claws. hes S5 T5 bc he is riding the wolf.

Ragnar gives himself and the unit he joins d3 extra attacks on the charge. he already has 5 built in. with WS6 and S5 thanks to his Sword hes a tornado in combat. Put Ragnar in a unit of Blood Claws and it a distructive combo because the BC get +2 attack on the charge.

Ulrik is back and hes pissed LOL hes gives the unit he joins prefered enemy angainst a unit type he chooses at the start of the game.

Logan is a true comander. he gives special rules to any unit he joins i cant remember them all but one of the is relentless. othe then that he has not changed much.

The Thammer thrower is S10. he throws the hammer 6" at S10 AP1 assault 1. and he gets an extra attack for his shield.

So what this person is saying is that according to their memory (which is clearly too faulty to be trusted with the correct spellings of words), Ragnar Blackmane's +D3 attacks is cumulative with the Blood Claw's +2? For a maximum potential of +5 attacks per model on the charge?

You may colour me extremely sceptical.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Matrias wrote: »
    That's more like it!

So what this person is saying is that according to their memory (which is clearly too faulty to be trusted with the correct spellings of words), Ragnar Blackmane's +D3 attacks is cumulative with the Blood Claw's +2? For a maximum potential of +5 attacks per model on the charge?

You may colour me extremely sceptical.

Me as well.

I like seeing the crazy rumours, though, and hoping against hope that they're true.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hahahhaa

m470088a_Spanish_Store_Huge.jpg

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    whoever that is i hate him

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    that is an unreasonable amount of space hulks

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I got over my difficulty at painting all the tiny stuff on the Space Hulk guys and am now trucking along painting the other four members of Squad Lorenzo. I forgot about the heraldry so went back and did that on everyone.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Did anyone bring space hulk to PAX? I am in room 310 watching people play board games.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    that is an unreasonable amount of space hulks
    Just guessing from the wall behind him, I'm going to say he works in a game store, and that throne is made out of their stock of the game.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    I just today finished the Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium omnibus. It's fantastic. There's so may little jokes that I'm sure I missed more than a few.

For example, from a chapter heading (not verbatim): "Don't expect gratitude and you'll rarely be disappointed." - Eyor Dedonki, Memoirs of a Pessimist. Read the name out loud. That one killed me for some reason.
    My god...
    I can't believe I missed that the three times I read that book.
    That is brilliant.

see317 on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    if I can't find a space hulk of my own I am going to blame that man

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ElderCat wrote: »
    Did anyone bring space hulk to PAX? I am in room 310 watching people play board games.

Holy shit, Space Hulk is a great PAX game. I'm totally going to bring my custom Salamander Space Hulk to PAX East in march.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah that's his stores's stock of Space Hulk.

And we've got like twice that many at my store.

SJ on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

whaaaa

you gotta have like 50 at least

that is as many as five 10s

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I dont think it was a good idea to clip out ALL the space hulk minis at once.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Dude. We need to build a fort out of all the boxes then get a burger king crown on you and take a picture. It would be far superior to that guy.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I took a Blood Angels and Sisters mixed list to my local GW yesterday and people gave me a hard time about it being a really cheesy combo... even as I played against a Deathwing list. What do you guys think? I like to use well balanced mixed armies that give me a number of tactical options normally, trying generally not to be "cheesy". But the Sister's and BA play really well together. For reference the list is basically (1500)
    Lemartes
    Death Company (7)
    Assault Squad (10 with P Fist)
    Tactical (10 with Rhino, P Fist, Plasma Gun, Rocket Launcher)
    Sisters (10 with Rhino, H Flamer, Flamer, Eviscerator)
    Sisters (5 with Immolator, 4 Melta Guns, Eviscerator)
    Attack Bikes (3, Multi Meltas)
    Whirlwind

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Dude. We need to build a fort out of all the boxes then get a burger king crown on you and take a picture. It would be far superior to that guy.
    I don't know, he has a sword.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Dude. I have a 1796 British Heavy Cavalry Sword, an 1804 US Rifle Sgt's sword, an 1814 Rosewood pattern US Infantry Sgt's sword, two civil war sabers and a 16-inch socket bayonet for an 1816 Springfield flintlock musket.

I think I got it covered.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I've got like, ten swords. Downstairs.

e: and yes, our store got like 60 copies

SJ on