As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In This [Chat] We Ask For Thanato's On High

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man this thread is more boring than the time I broke my glasses after the apocolypse.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is an interesting conversation.

James on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I find this carpentry discussion dreadfully boring.

Someone dance for me.

Naked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tyu7WMquZk

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man this thread is more boring than the time I broke my glasses after the apocolypse.

Just 'cause you're inept at fixing and building doesn't mean the rest of us have to be. :P

Passerbye on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    japan wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    Hey Moniker, out of interest, how much would one be looking at to replace doorways with larger ones? Any structural problems or whatever likely to come up, if the room itself is large enough to support the larger door?

(I bet I've just asked you a 'how long is a piece of string' question')

Is it a structural wall (made of brick), or a stud wall (plasterboard over a timber frame)?

Former you need someone qualified to actually take a look at it, usually you can replace the lintel (which is usually steel-reinforced concrete) with a steel beam without too many problems. If it's the latter, you just need to cut a bigger hole.

are we talking taller or wider or both?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Are you guys trying to summon AH?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the problem with the swinging bookcase is that whatever supports it is going to have to be really strong if you actually plan on putting books on it.

You could counterweight it, I suppose. Then you'd just have to worry about a strong enough pivot.

japan on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    AngelHedgie? What for?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »

Just 'cause you're inept at fixing and building doesn't mean the rest of us have to be. :P

Look I get wood with the best of them, but a theoretical book case that will never be built is more boring then Pony's moralizing.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Derek Smart, Derek Smart, DEREK SMART!!!!!

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    AngelHedgie? What for?

Amateur Hour, the dude was a builder.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hey Moniker, out of interest, how much would one be looking at to replace doorways with larger ones? Any structural problems or whatever likely to come up, if the room itself is large enough to support the larger door?

Is it a structural wall (made of brick), or a stud wall (plasterboard over a timber frame)?

Former you need someone qualified to actually take a look at it, usually you can replace the lintel (which is usually steel-reinforced concrete) with a steel beam without too many problems. If it's the latter, you just need to cut a bigger hole.

are we talking taller or wider or both?

I assumed wider, but Leitner may be thinking taller now that I think about it.

japan on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The former.

Though obviously I'm not going to be knocking through walls willy nilly based on the advice from a web poster. More something I'm curious about at this point.

Edit: Taller, rather than wider.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Look I get wood with the best of them, but a theoretical book case that will never be built is more boring then Pony's moralizing.

go make a mint julep

seriously so fantastic. i had no ideaaa!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    AngelHedgie? What for?

Oh, okay.

Was he cool?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The piano hinge does look like the way to go. I wonder if a long enough bolt or something could go through the hinge through both sides of the bookcase for added stability. Might be harder to conceal though, unless you could work it into the shelf or cover it with a bit of wood that made it look decorative.

Hmm...

TL DR on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I'm pretty sure they're serious about building it, given the desire to hide 'light discipline' items.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    go make a mint julep

LIES

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    AngelHedgie? What for?

Oh, okay.

Was he cool?

Well he was confused for me often, so that kind of sets up his dispostion.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    sleepy time for Cesca.

Night [chat].

BobCesca on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I'm pretty sure they're serious about building it, given the desire to hide 'light discipline' items.

Light discipline just means that all the hidden room in the world doesn't do much good if you can see the lights on inside it from your kitchen.

TL DR on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I wonder what I should get once I finish Shadow Complex, this is a game of the year candidate for me.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I dunno sounds more like theorycrafting to me, like when Elendil talks about all the sex he's going to have. A pipe dream that will never come to fruition.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    AngelHedgie? What for?

Oh, okay.

Was he cool?

Quite cool.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    I wonder what I should get once I finish Shadow Complex, this is a game of the year candidate for me.

MOTHER FUCKING BATMAN!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    go make a mint julep

LIES
    Seriously.

If you want some tasty mint in your drink have a mojito.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

The former.

Though obviously I'm not going to be knocking through walls willy nilly based on the advice from a web poster. More something I'm curious about at this point.

complicated to answer. going up you need to worry about load bearing beams, as well as the issues japan mentions regarding the brick. Is the brick actually structural, or is it a facade?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Light discipline just means that all the hidden room in the world doesn't do much good if you can see the lights on inside it from your kitchen.

Aha.

See, my interpretation was more interesting.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    go make a mint julep

LIES

have u had 1?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Taller is actually probably easier than wider. The reason it's a tricky thing to do is that the job involves removing and replacing whatever is supporting the bricks above the span of the door, but it's definitely doable.

japan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Aha.

You meant like "the small paddle" and "the low-voltage electrodes"?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    go make a mint julep

LIES
    Seriously.

If you want some tasty mint in your drink have a mojito.

I don't know man. What's so bad about the julep?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Honk, would you say the demo is an accurate representation of the game?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's terrible. That's what's bad about it.

The terribleness.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98

I swear this woman is like the Uwe Boll of food network.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    complicated to answer. going up you need to worry about load bearing beams, as well as the issues japan mentions regarding the brick. Is the brick actually structural, or is it a facade?

Usually if there's a brick wall in a UK house it's structural. Even if it's theoretically just a brick partition wall, you'll never be certain that whoever worked out the beam spacings for the floor/roof above wasn't depending on it being there.

japan on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Honk wrote: »

MOTHER FUCKING BATMAN!

Oh shit, for some reason I assumed it wasn't available for the 360. Though I have no idea why.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    go make a mint julep

LIES

have u had 1?

If he's screaming 'Lies' I think it's a safe bet.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Aha.

put a drop cloth over the inside of the door, that you can raise and lower like blinds. I did this for a darkroom, and it will be much more successful than trying to actually seal your door. the rubber strips are negligibly effective.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Aha.

No, I mean like a soft le-

Oh I see what you tried to do there.

Passerbye on
This discussion has been closed.