As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Winner/Loser stories from games

• Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was in a Guitar Hero III tournament hosted by my school just for some fun. Normally, I'm pretty good on Expert Guitar, but considering that Guitar Hero III was a huge shitstorm of what the fuck charting that I had no chance of not sucking I had to come up with something to overcome that.

Basically I'm facing this guy and its a choose a song then the other person chooses a song, and if its a tie, then loser gets to pick the next song. It's a weird setup but it worked in my favor. Basically, he chose some random bonus song that had way too many 3-note chord changes that I could even bare, so I lost the first song.

But then, I put my strategy in effect. I decided if i can't do chordgasms I can pick simple songs and trump him just by using Star Power more effectively. So I picked My Name is Jonas and would use Star Power during the long single chord strumming areas. It worked. I eventually one a couple of games that way. Though he didn't rage or anything he just gave me a look equal to "You son of a bitch."

RCagent on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got so mad from losing to infinite combos in MvC2 (360) that I uninstalled it.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2 ranked play is basically just one big story of bad winners and losers. The worst winners are the people who pick the cheapest teams possible and stand back throwing crap at you while using all of three button to fight with. It's even better when they do this even though you're clearly not picking characters to spam projectiles with and they do it anyway.

Then there are the tons and tons of people who quit out of the match either right after they realize they can't steamroll you or right before they're going to lose. Personally, I really do not care about my wins and losses. The only people who will ever see it are the people playing online and I guarantee you I don't care about what they think. Then there's the fact that I use a stock 360 controller so I can only do something like 70% of what I would normally do so I care even less. Despite that, I would just like for people to just finish the damn match.

Case in point, I played against some guy who played the game way too much and had a joystick to boot. First time around, he beat me pretty thoroughly with a super team. Second time around, I beat him pretty thoroughly since I knew what was coming and could actually pick a proper three characters this time. Of course, he quits out of the second match before I can finish the win. I send him a message asking him why he even plays if he can't take losing, he responds that he won the first match and I picked a cheap team (which was the same as his except for one person), and I smugly inform him that the only round that matters is the last one and that he should enjoy quitting against further superior opponents.

Surprise surprise, I get an invite and a voice message seconds later. I delete the message, respond with my own text saying DELETE, and block further communications. I could practically taste the nerd rage and chalked up the whole incident as fifty wins.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anybody who I'd happen to see throwing a controller even once would never be touching any of my shit ever again.

Every time I hear about something like that it just sort of baffles me. I've had dozens of friends and acquaintances over the years who game regularly and not once have I seen or heard of any of them lose their shit to the point where they'd actually take it out on the hardware like that.

Not a video game, but I knew a girl who, when playing tiddlywinks, would thump the table in frustration if she missed a shot. This would piss the rest of us off, because knocking the table could very well disrupt the game as we had to ensure none of the piles had slipped.

Lot of anger, that one.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja put an old childhood friendship on hold for a few days. My friend and I reached the level with these fast moving spinning platforms. Normally this level isn't too bad...but with two players the screen scrolls with the first player that is "ahead" in the stage. Well combine fast horizontal/vertical scrolling with instant death if you touch the bottom edge of the screen and what follows is a screaming match. "Stop scrolling the screen! Wait up! You killed me!" After a few days of not talking to one another we decided that the game be turned off before we ever got to that level again. We still loved playing it through the carnival and city levels (the lottery game was like crack).

Darksier on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darksier wrote: »
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja put an old childhood friendship on hold for a few days. My friend and I reached the level with these fast moving spinning platforms. Normally this level isn't too bad...but with two players the screen scrolls with the first player that is "ahead" in the stage. Well combine fast horizontal/vertical scrolling with instant death if you touch the bottom edge of the screen and what follows is a screaming match. "Stop scrolling the screen! Wait up! You killed me!" After a few days of not talking to one another we decided that the game be turned off before we ever got to that level again. We still loved playing it through the carnival and city levels (the lottery game was like crack).

Did you not think to piggy back on each other?

Mystical Ninja lets one player ride on the others shoulders by simply jumping on top of them. This is how me and my wife got through those nasty parts.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have this Blackjack game on my cell phone. That thing is a dick...

You start out with $500. Usually I build myself up to about $4000-$5000, and suddenly the "AI" dealer gets blackjack after blackjack.. making it impossible to keep winning.

Meanwhile everytime it cheats and gets blackjack the dealer says things like:

"I thought you could play?"

"...You have no skill"

and my fave

"My kid sister plays better then you"

fucker...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I have this Blackjack game on my cell phone. That thing is a dick...

You start out with $500. Usually I build myself up to about $4000-$5000, and suddenly the "AI" dealer gets blackjack after blackjack.. making it impossible to keep winning.

Meanwhile everytime it cheats and gets blackjack the dealer says things like:

"I thought you could play?"

"...You have no skill"

and my fave

"My kid sister plays better then you"

fucker...

I remember way back, my Dad gave me this budget 10 dollar pool game. It was pretty sweet, but the final boss in the game was near fucking impossible.

The A.I would basically have godlike skills by exploiting the coding of the "Where the Shot Should End Up At" system and basically would never miss a shot unless something bad happened.

You basically had to win by being equally godlike. If you missed a shot you were pretty much fucked.

RCagent on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know what always pissed me off? Alters on Xbox Live. They use new Xbox Live Profiles to enter Ranked Matches on, for example Halo, to thoughly own other teams who are new to the gametype, rather than play against people anywhere near thier skill level.

Me and my friend were never great players. To be honest, at the time we were shit. We entered Ranked Team Doubles under the understanding that everyone would the same shittiness as us at rank 1.

The first 6 games were all people with uncustomised armour, no campaign progress, no other owned games on their profile. They raped us, usually without us getting one kill. Every team sent a message or two with the usual after game taunts.

We never played that gametype again.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blurbl wrote: »
    You know what always pissed me off? Alters on Xbox Live. They use new Xbox Live Profiles to enter Ranked Matches on, for example Halo, to thoughly own other teams who are new to the gametype, rather than play against people anywhere near thier skill level.

Me and my friend were never great players. To be honest, at the time we were shit. We entered Ranked Team Doubles under the understanding that everyone would the same shittiness as us at rank 1.

The first 6 games were all people with uncustomised armour, no campaign progress, no other owned games on their profile. They raped us, usually without us getting one kill. Every team sent a message or two with the usual after game taunts.

We never played that gametype again.

Ranked anything on XBL is to be avoided at all costs really.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fighters are great for this stuff.

I'm practicing playing Hakumen defensively in Blazblue ranked and countering everything the guy throws out and he taunts and quits in a match.

I send him a message "quit much?"
    he replies "STOP FUCKING TURTLING LEARN TO PLAY NOOB"

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Re: Sore losers at fighting games:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=183404

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=177192

Crummy players and good stories galore.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Goose.

/thread

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Back in the NES days there was a game called Ring King. Anyway, it had a system where in between rounds you could mash a button to regain stamina (In-game stamina... After doing it, your real world stamina took a hit.). Of course, Nintendo made that gigantor joystick with the multi-speed turbo setting...

See where this is going?

A bunch of us would go over to a friend's house and we'd hang out and play NES games. Ring King showed up and it was a vs game so we figured it'd be a good time. Except the 'friend' whose place it was owned the Turbo controller. He always used it and never let anybody else use it. He would also refuse to not use it just to even things out.

He never lost.

We stopped playing Ring King pretty quickly...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This thread is fucking awful to read. Makes me hate people more, I didn't think that was possible.

Brian on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    This thread justifies my isolationist policy and the fact that I can count my friends on a single hand.

Ragequitters are fun though...nothing brightens your day more than having someone you just crushed call you a no-talent scrub.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My brother's pretty bad about this, we'll play Smash Bros or Soul Caliber, and if I win, I'm cheating. Though, I used to be pretty bad with some online games, but only to rage quit point when I get spammed to death by a cheap move or someone wants to lay mines every 5 feet out of the spawn on Warhawk

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    This thread justifies my isolationist policy and the fact that I can count my friends on a single hand.

Ragequitters are fun though...nothing brightens your day more than having someone you just crushed call you a no-talent scrub.

No doubt. But seeing that shit in person is out of the question. Fuck other people.

Brian on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

No doubt. But seeing that shit in person is out of the question. Fuck other people.

Maybe it's just because I'm a 6'5" bear of a man, but no one has ever got that pissed at me when they loss a game to me(except friends and family that is). I mean you have your normal anger, but nothing over aggressive.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Two friends and myself used to play PSO on Gamecube, and despite my constant objections due to having suffered through it on the DC, my friends insisted on playing challenge mode for weapons. They were brothers so every time the younger one lost due to something that he had no way of preventing, like a Sinow getting 3 criticals in a row, the older brother would just blame him for everything. The worst one was when we lost at De Rol Le, and I'm pretty sure I was the one who died because I played a FOmar and had no HP. The younger brother got blamed for not giving me a scape doll.

Gilder on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I one time I actually went into Home, I ended up in a fairly epic chess match with some random.

We played for about 20 minutes and it was pretty even. Then, after having flawlessly executed a diabolical scheme to capture his queen, he quit.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Goose.

/thread

I hate him so much.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Goose?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Goose?

A guy who plays TF2, won't stop piping, voice messages people to tell them they're fagARRRRRRRRR GLKILL KILL KILL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDOgr1Zf7h0

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darksier wrote: »

This story reminds me when I used to play NES Contra with my older bro and cousin. Y'all remember that Waterfall level, right? I lost so many lives on that stage, and they would never let me borrow theirs when I ran out.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Goose?

A guy who plays TF2, won't stop piping, voice messages people to tell them they're fagARRRRRRRRR GLKILL KILL KILL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDOgr1Zf7h0

Is that for real? Or just an 'example'?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    it's almost as bad as he really is, but no, it's not actually him

MrDelish on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you are on Goose's team, run away/team switch. I don't care that your team is leading by 500 points, switch, unless you like him complaining about map X sucking, or you lagging him to death

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    it's not nearly as bad as he really is, but no, it's not actually him

Fixed

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll never forget the time I was playing my friends younger brother in Tekken 2. I beat him in a very close match. After he lost he punched the floor and stormed out of the room. A few minutes later my firends mother said she was taking their son to the hospital. Turned out he broke his radius and ulna when he punched the floor.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hasn't been a problem for me in quite a long time. When I play games with friends, we're on the same team. And when I'm playing online, I stay in party chat for the most part. It's pretty funny seeing the chat icons light up in the lobby with what can only be the inarticulate hate speech which forms the soundtrack of Xbox Live. Only to hear complete silence over your headset, broken by one of your party members observing needlessly, "damn, they must be pissed!"

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought you meant Goose as in Duck, Duck, Goose.

I raged in that game cause I was the slowest kid in my class, even though I wasn't the fattest.

Turkey on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My girlfriend keeps saying she's not a bad loser, yet every time we play Mario Party DS and I get ahead I get the look

Green on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Turkey wrote: »

I raged in that game cause I was the slowest kid in my class, even though I wasn't the fattest.

How is that possible..?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Turkey wrote: »

How is that possible..?

Some people simply aren't very limber. When I was in school I was among the faster runners despite being a touch heavier than them.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If we can include stories beyond video games, let me tell you story about a friend of mine, who put many rage-quitters I've encountered to shame. Why? Because he rage-quits everything. In high school, our group's favourite sport was touch football (Australian sport, Wikipedia is your friend if you want to know what I'm talking about). Now, I have long arms, which makes me a benefit defensively. So whenever he was on one of his hard-core attempts to make a dash for the try-line I could stop him dead pretty easily. His response every time?
    FUCKING LANKY! GROW SHORTER ARMS!

Or something similar. Did I mention we were 16 at the time? And not, like 8? On the times we played Basketball? Soccer? Handball? Exact same response.

But it gets better, because when I meant everything, I wasn't kidding. He also rage-quitted assignments.

There was one presentation where we had to pretend to be one of the characters from a book. He chose the creepy landlord who thought he was Bill Odie and was fascinated with dugongs. Having not rehearsed, he proceeded to say the following.

"Dugongs are considered 'The Cows of the sea', as they eat sea-grass. This is stupid. STUPID SEA-COWS! WHY CAN'T YOU EAT REGULAR GRASS?"

And he throws the teacher's cow plusie out the door.

During an in-class essay, he did one page of actual work, then spent several pages telling the teacher how much he hated her, then traced his hand on the last page.

Apparantly he has a girlfriend now who has set him straight, but still, I had the worst friends in high school.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm pretty sure that dude is autistic

Green on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Green wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that dude is fucking hilarious

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gentlemen I believe this

is what you were looking for.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In his defense, I'd be pretty pissed too if someone's strategy was to beat a 30 second clock. But that's probably all I sympathize with.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png