As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Winner/Loser stories from games

• Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Reminds me of that one bard who would train giants into evil races.

GO GO GOOD TEAM! GIANTS LOVE THE GOOD GUYS!

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't really throw the controller when I get frustrated, I slam it against the floor or the arm of a chair. I don't think I've ever gotten more frustrated at a game than Ultimate Spider-Man. There would be these (I think unskippable) segments where you would race with the Human Torch. I slammed my Gamecube controller so much that I scratched it. The controller is spotless otherwise.

Also, Wii Punch-Out has prompted the same kind of reaction. Bald Bull in particular. Fuck that guy.

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Kintaro

Nothing like punching a computer case so hard it resets.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a friend who takes all his video game rage out on the hardware, which is really strange when you consider that he's also one of those guys that won't let anyone else touch his games for fear of the disk getting scratched or the manual creased.

I remember many days where he'd be playing a game (Likely Resident Evil, or Metal Gear Solid) and he'd constantly erupt in profanity and controller bashing. We'd get kicks out of casually popping our heads into the room and asking him if he was having fun with his new game.

When he got a PSP and Monster Hunter, we could tell right away this was a recipe for disaster. The controller IS the console, so it likely wouldn't withstand much abuse. Well, we couldn't have been more correct. He finally got pissed at the game, grabbed a machette and hacked his PSP to pieces. We were all kind of dumbfounded by it. He's not someone who can afford to buy new stuff on a whim, so this left him with no gaming hardware for a good period of time, and he really doesn't have any other hobbies. Surely with all the time to cool off and think about it, he wouldn't make that kind of mistake again. His PSP (bits) sat in a ziploc bag on his desk, a constant reminder. We'd often try to figure out the logic, and suggest more cost effective alternatives like ejecting the UMD and hacking THAT to pieces, or perhaps his memory stick. Finally he got a new PSP and went right back to playing Monster Hunter.

A few days later one of my friends that I hadn't seen in a while came over and we were catching up on happenings. He was like, "Did you hear about Steve hacking up his PSP?" I just chuckled and said, "Yeah". Then he was like, "I can't believe he did it again." What? Again?

Yes, I have a friend who has chopped 2 PSPs into tiny bits with a machette.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm actually one of those people who says, "Oh, I fucked up," when I lose fighting games, though I don't mean to be condescending, or intend it as a backhanded compliment. In my mind, if I screw up and you exploit it, then it shows that you're a skilled player. Of course, my friends and I have played so much SoulCalibur over the years that if one of us screws up even a tiny bit, the other person will instantly fuck you over and say, "What was that?!", so my viewpoint may be skewed.

My best friend and I have some sort of weird, symbiotic relationship when playing on the same team together. This has caused our other friends to ragequit in many, many games over the years, or demand that we play on seperate teams.

I think the only game I've ever ragequit was Ghostbusters for the 360. Those fucking stone angels, combined with a five minute wait until you could try again...grrr. I actually raised my controller to spike it into the ground, but managed to regain control before doing anything stupid. I shut the game off for a few days instead.

Best ragequit story took place many years ago, when my family took a trip to Vegas. There was a huge arcade in Circus Circus, and they had a shiny new Tekken 2 machine. My sister and I had been given a few dollars to run wild with, and chose to spend it all beating each other up digitally, since doing so physically was strictly prohibited.

Now, my sister doesn't play games, but was some sort of savant when it came to Tekken, and quickly beat me bloody. So, she plays by herself for a few minutes before some teenage douche walks up and puts his quarter in. As soon as it comes to character select screen, he reaches across and slaps her buttons, sneers at her, and says, "You're playing that character!"

That character that he so thoughtfully chose for her was Jack-2. Her best character.

She beat the ever living shit out of him. It was glorious to watch. I started laughing uncontrollably. Furious and embarrased, he threatened to beat me up, which only made me laugh harder. He stalked away. At that point, my sister got bored and gave up her spot to someone else.

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chalkbot wrote: »
    This has got to be a fairly recent development in the history of man. I mean, you don't hear stories of settlers trying to build a homestead and getting super pissed and burning it down.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This has got to be a fairly recent development in the history of man. I mean, you don't hear stories of settlers trying to build a homestead and getting super pissed and burning it down.

Of course not, in the past those people died alone in the woods. Now they take youtubes of their serious anger management issues.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Reminds me of that one bard who would train giants into evil races.

GO GO GOOD TEAM! GIANTS LOVE THE GOOD GUYS!

That guys was Fansy the Bard.
    I might have to read that again because that was some of the funniest shit ever in MMOs. The best part was the chat logs he posted from the people he just killed.

What he did was on that server where it was no holds barred but what he did ended up changing the way the servers operated. Originally you were protected if you were below a certain level and the level right before that one Bards got a song called Selo's Somethingorother that was a speed boost so he would train Giants on other people in the most popular leveling zones in the game.

The things the guys are mentioning in this thread about EQ1 was by far not the norm though. I played from beta till PoP and only ran into this once or twice if that. It was generally looked upon as it is today as a poor pathetic teenager with nothing else to do.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Of course not, in the past those people died alone in the woods. Now they take youtubes of their serious anger management issues.

I think I would do my best to distance myself from anyone whose solution to something that makes them mad is "chop it with a machette." Regardless of what "it" is.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Was playing an old NES game when I was a kid, maybe around 9 or 10 I forget anyways I just remember being so pissed off at the game (could have been solar jetman) that I bit the controller.. hard.

Nice little teeth marks on the controller.

Spiked the Atari 2600 controller many times, as well as the NES controller.

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but my younger bro bit the left thumbstick off one of our PS2 controllers in a fit of game-rage. Just nom-nom-nommed it straight off. Must have taken him AGES. Also chewed on the controller so bad you couldn't read the L1/L2 inscriptions any more.

It's not like he was five years old at the time. He was fifteen.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In a way I'd like to thank you for the honor of being called such a douchebag. In another I'm somewhat ashamed.

These days I would never engage in such assholery, but 9 years ago it gave me such a thrill to pull off. Plus the way that player characters died in EQ was hilarious. My brother and I loved seeing them keel over with a groan.

At least I wasn't only a douchebag engaging in douchebaggery for my own thrills. I also at least later was an insanely reckless and skilled bard in a pvp setting on the evil team where I at least had every roleplaying right to engage in said douchebaggery.

People would rage and spam hate in channels on my brother and I for killing newbs but we mostly engaged in warfare with players our own levels. Though anytime we'd go slightly out of our way to kill a few newbs we'd be called cowards that can't handle someone our own level etc then mob assaulted in the newb zones by gangs of high levels. That shit was fun because we were perfectly capable of deceiving them, splitting them up in fast forest chases and picking them off one by one as they raged and called in more and more support.

Most fun gaming ever because the stakes were so high.

This needed a little perspective for non-EQ addicts.

See, after a couple of years of the EQ GM staff having to deal with complaints about PKing, cheating, and general douchebaggery, the powers that be decided to open up a special PVP server where normal rules of conduct explicitly did not apply. If you were logging in to this server, you were choosing to log in somewhere where you were asking to be killed by anyone bigger than you, over and over again, until you someday became bigger than they were.

It was a beautiful thing, like flypaper for asshats.

This was also the only server where you could play an evil bard; all other servers limited the class to good or neutral.

So, really, repeatedly killing someone and deliberately causing them experience loss was WITHIN THE RULES; the OP here was just, well, playing by the book.

Full disclosure; I also played a high level bard.

The class came with an unparalleled set of tools for causing other people headaches, not the least of which was the ability to take a monster someone else was fighting and fling it back to its spawn point, making it gain 1/3rd of its life back and usually come running right back to the hapless victim, along with friends to help with the beatdown, while the bard in question watched, invisible and generally laughing his fool head off.

The nice thing was, you didn't need to use these often because people were generally much more polite to a group with a bard in it. :)

Yeah, right, but his monster train while invisible and flying story was with a mage and in a non-PVP server.
    There is no excuse for that one.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In a way I'd like to thank you for the honor of being called such a douchebag. In another I'm somewhat ashamed.

These days I would never engage in such assholery, but 9 years ago it gave me such a thrill to pull off. Plus the way that player characters died in EQ was hilarious. My brother and I loved seeing them keel over with a groan.

At least I wasn't only a douchebag engaging in douchebaggery for my own thrills. I also at least later was an insanely reckless and skilled bard in a pvp setting on the evil team where I at least had every roleplaying right to engage in said douchebaggery.

People would rage and spam hate in channels on my brother and I for killing newbs but we mostly engaged in warfare with players our own levels. Though anytime we'd go slightly out of our way to kill a few newbs we'd be called cowards that can't handle someone our own level etc then mob assaulted in the newb zones by gangs of high levels. That shit was fun because we were perfectly capable of deceiving them, splitting them up in fast forest chases and picking them off one by one as they raged and called in more and more support.

See, after a couple of years of the EQ GM staff having to deal with complaints about PKing, cheating, and general douchebaggery, the powers that be decided to open up a special PVP server where normal rules of conduct explicitly did not apply. If you were logging in to this server, you were choosing to log in somewhere where you were asking to be killed by anyone bigger than you, over and over again, until you someday became bigger than they were.

This was also the only server where you could play an evil bard; all other servers limited the class to good or neutral.

So, really, repeatedly killing someone and deliberately causing them experience loss was WITHIN THE RULES; the OP here was just, well, playing by the book.

The class came with an unparalleled set of tools for causing other people headaches, not the least of which was the ability to take a monster someone else was fighting and fling it back to its spawn point, making it gain 1/3rd of its life back and usually come running right back to the hapless victim, along with friends to help with the beatdown, while the bard in question watched, invisible and generally laughing his fool head off.

The nice thing was, you didn't need to use these often because people were generally much more polite to a group with a bard in it. :)

Yeah, right, but his monster train while invisible and flying story was with a mage and in a non-PVP server.

The bard you are remembering was named Fansy. He was level 5 training sand giants around the same Oasis zone on people in the same pvp server I played on. I was somewhat of friends with him though he wasn't around for long.

On my mage I could summon a pet Sand Giant under my control that wouldn't kill anyone and it was damn funny to run it over newbs and see them panic and flee the zone.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The bard you are remembering was named Fansy. He was level 5 training sand giants around the same Oasis zone on people in the same pvp server I played on. I was somewhat of friends with him though he wasn't around for long.

On my mage I could summon a pet Sand Giant under my control that wouldn't kill anyone and it was damn funny to run it over newbs and see them panic and flee the zone.

You told a story in this very thread about training monsters to noob areas while invisible and flying...

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just read the Fansy stuff. I'm in love.

http://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

You told a story in this very thread about training monsters to noob areas while invisible and flying...

No no no. The sand giant that I could summon would not hurt anyone. People just thought it was one of the enemy sand giants in the zone, so they would run in terror. If they didn't run in time they would become puzzled at how the sand giant was not pummeling them, then usually start dancing in glee.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Faffel wrote: »
    Sometimes, when I die in TF2, I just open the console and quit. Then I turn off my lamp and just sit in the dark, letting the pain of defeat roll down my cheeks. Sometimes the pain lasts for hours...

See now what you do there is, when you're playing, make the faces of whatever character you're using, heavy is best class for this. Nigh-impossible to be sad playing like that.

Oh and fuck the last boss in DOA4 who i had to beat twice in a row to get past in time trial, really, there's no reason a single attack should do 50-60% of my total health, and the counter detection in that game was dreadful. The casing on my 360 controller was damaged, haven't played that game since, i think fighting games are so fiddly and reflex based that any tiny issue with the game is multiplied, as is your rage.

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    All you gotta do is remind yourself to stop, breathe, and count to three:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDV5Pw5Ny8

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I used to train leveling and noob zones in EQ too, but not on purpose...

Anyway, my story involves Mario Kart and the occasional Smash Bros for GC. Every monday night, for probably a good 1 1/2 - 2 years, my friends and I would play Double Dash at my neighbors place. And man was it terrible. As you all know, the game doesn't require skill so much as luck, but that didn't stop everyone from screaming at the top of their lungs at each other. Especially when a blue shell made you jump from 1st to 4th. The yelling resulted from that incurred screams from the friend's sister and parents. Smash brothers didn't help either because I was the only one to ever win. Simple screaming may sound tame compared to all the other stories in this thread, but when it turned into a weekly occurrence, I'm surprised we were able to stay friends long enough to keep it up as long as we did.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of sore losers with video games, one of the colleges I went to had game systems and TVs set up in Student Union building. I showed up there one day and folks were playing Halo. After a while, the group reached critical mass and there were people there playing Halo virtually non-stop. Virtually every day, someone would bring at least one extra TV and Xbox. Surprisingly, fratboys were in the minority; most of the players were people who just liked playing Halo. In fact, to this day I don't see why Halo is consider such a fratboy game when I have only rarely seen fratboys playing the game.

Anyway, as is typical of a good dozen gamers crowded around a couple TVs and striving for victory, we would get pretty loud. Loud for a long time. So loud, in fact, that the center received complaints from the offices which were, for some absolutely insane reason, located just down the hall from what was effectively the college gameroom (there was also a good two dozen PCs set up for gaming, too).

After a while, passive-aggressive "be quiet" signs showed up in the building. Then the staff started telling us to shut up. We were never intentionally being loud, but it's like building an office adjacent to a stadium and telling the people watching a game to keep it down. As hard as we tried, we just could not keep everybody quiet all the time. Inevitably, bureaucracy won out and Halo was completely banned from the building. And without the Halo players, the console section almost never saw any use except for the rare individual who didn't have their own console to play.

After that we would just meet at the building and go somewhere else to play, but it should be noted that the office workers in that building were the hugely sore losers in this situation. Not because they wanted us to be quiet (I probably wouldn't be happy with a noisy crowd down the hall when I'm working), but because they never ever actually came out themselves and told us the situation. Chances are pretty good that if they had just grown a pair and actually confronted us about it, we would've cared enough to stop forgetting we weren't supposed to be shouting. But true to form, they decided to foist the problem off on someone else and drag things out for ages.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That Funsy story is the greatest thing I've read in a while

One of the few games I get like, break shit in half angry about is Dominoes. Yes, the actual tabletop game

Especially fucking bullshit like I fucking pick my hand up and I'm missing one fucking number, person right after me plays first, whatever number I don't have is the spinner (great...but this is manageable, they're gonna have to play off that shit), whoever's after him plays, than whoever acts right before me caps that shit with whatever number I don't have

That's when I start punching shit and slamming dominoes
    Other things I hate:
    • Looking at my hand and it's 5+ doubles
    • Having 5 of a number, another of that number on the board (like, if I had 5 5's and there was a 5 on the board), then me playing to lock ends and me being largely successful but still not getting the domino because some chucklefuck held on to the last of whatever number I'm locking with till the end of the game
    • Being forced to play the one spinner I didn't want played from my hand (situation is normally set up like the first example, except worse because now there's only four of whatever number still live)
    • Being fucked over on a lock attempt by inept play of whoever's before/after me
    • (I do this a lot) People who feed whoever's in front so they get up by like three fucking houses on you
    • People constantly capping the number that I only have the double of so I get fucked from winning the domino through no fault of my own (I especially hate this shit with big six)
    • Missing 2 or more numbers

I love the shit out of Dominoes, and it's awesome, but I really should stop playing it, I get fucking furious at some of the shit that goes down

Rent on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was screwed over once or twice in Guild Wars when trading rare items. This was before it was easy to see how much money a person was offering. I wasn't so much enraged as incredibly annoyed. :? Then again, I was mildly rich by that point so it didn't really matter.

I'm rather proud I avoided the timesinks of World of Warcraft and Evercrack. Just not my thing. The furthest I got on an MMORPG was City of Heroes, and that was spread out over two years or so.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only way MMOs ever made me rage was the brief period where all my friends were playing WoW and couldn't actually go out and do anything because they had raids and shit.

Thankfully, they all grew brains, marked WoW as a learning experience, and we've moved on to better days.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Griefing annoys me, and has ever since I first started playing online games back when I was in the tween demographic. Although since then, I've learned not to give the griefer the satisfaction of my rage and otherwise ignore them.

One experience I will always remember, though, was back when I was 14 or so, playing Battlefield 1942 on the PC. There was a guy on this one map whose sole intention was to ruin everyone's fun. If anyone remembers BF1942 griefers, a popular method was to get in jeeps and run people over. Although it was impossible to do this if friendly-fire was off, or you'd get so many negative points if it was on that you'd get banned, the work-around was to jump out of the jeep right before hitting, so the game thinks you've been hit by a unmanned vehicle. The griefer doesn't get any points taken off and you get a death.

At any rate, this guy would get in his jeep and drive around, doing this to people. Including me. Fans of BF1942 will also remember how people would dick around on the airfield, waiting for a plane to spawn. The guy also used his jeep to block planes from taking off, or if they were already on their way off the ground, run the unmanned jeep into the plane to blow it up. Eventually I get sick of this. The tipping point is when I finally see a plane that has nobody waiting around it, get in it only to be blocked by this guy's jeep. Instead of just quitting or ignoring him (kind of hard to ignore that, though), I get angrier and angrier until I just open the chat and SLAM MY TEXT INTO THE INPUT IN ALL CAPS YELLING AT HIM RARGLE BARGLE!!

An obvious mistake, because now this guy knows I'm super annoyed by him so he focuses most of his griefing on me. Realizing my mistake of giving him a griefer stiffy, I dial it down and try to convince him he's not bugging me, but he already knows I'm annoyed by it. Eventually I'm placed on the other team by the computer and I kill him a few times with a sliver of satisfaction.

(I actually made it a personal vendetta to sneak back into the enemy base just to cap him, ignoring trying to win the round via flag captures.)

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    LAN griefing is good stuff, though.

Back during the Rogue Spear days I would take a silenced 9mm pistol with the intention of annoying the other team enough to cause TKs. Just get to their spawn point early, pop a few 9mm rounds into someone's legs, and hope they start accusing the nearest teammate. It didn't always work, but when it did the screaming was glorious.

It was far easier in Rainbow Six, because you really had no way of knowing who the hell was on your team and most of the uniforms looked pretty much the same. Of course, getting a bunch of Quake players to LAN Rainbow Six was a recipe for disaster anyway, since everyone could shoot but nobody could move, and once you split up from your team you were going to shoot first and not bother with questions when turning a corner.

Good times.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Back in bf1942, I used to hunt down tk'ers. I did this so much it almost became like a second mode in the game for me. I'd just kill them over and over until they eventually quit themselves. This turned out to not be particularly hard because most of them were terrible at the game. The only way they could get kills at all was probably attacking unsuspecting members of their own team.

This did have a drawback though. People who weren't paying attention to what I was doing or just joining would only see my giant negative score and get really pissed at me.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I had a friend who would TK people who went for the same vehicles he wanted, the rationale being that they were garbage and he wasn't.

Nine and a half times out of ten, he was right.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pretty much.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    I had a friend who would TK people who went for the same vehicles he wanted, the rationale being that they were garbage and he wasn't.

See, I'm of the opinion that this is total bullshit, though.

For example, I used to go to a weekly LAN party in Albuquerque and we would play BF: Desert Combat. Out of the 12 of us that were there, only 1 guy really knew how to fly anything, and another guy could fake it (had like some giant $200 joystiq that he though helped him).

Anyway, if I was ever on the first guys team, and I jumped into a vehicle (keep in mind I was brand new to PC FPS games) he would scream at me. You're wasting the fucking vehicles, save them for me, blah blah blah...

I started off stealing the jets, or the planes that had to keep moving. I'd jump in a heli once in a while to try to get a feel for it, but most of the time I would do the normal thing and turn it totally upside down and crash right back where I took off from.

It was the 3rd week I played it that I actually was succesfully flying the helicopters, and therefor become that biggest threat to the douche that held them all to himself.

Eventually after I learned how to fly I actually showed other people how to do it, rather than horde the knowledge. By the end of the next couple of months, most everyone there had figured it out.

To keep this relevant to the thread, this guy was a sore winner/loser in the worst way. The kind of guy that does his research online to find the latest exploit, or hiding hole, or secret weapon spawn, and never tell anyone else. Then, once his knowledge would seep out to the rest of us he would grow tired of the game, picking random faults out of a hat and trying to force whatever other game that he had hold of.

For a bit more personal detail:
    I basically made this guy my mortal enemy. I probably wouldn't have done it, had he not volunteered to show me how the play UT2K4. The way he taught me, was he threw me into a small map deathmatch with just him, and he killed me over and over again with all the power weapons (again, first time playing PC FPS games, ever).

This went on for about 15 minutes... As soon as I got my first kill, stopping his 29th kill streak, he said I had learned enough and quit out

From then I, I specifically watched his tactics so that I could basically sell his trade secrets.

If I could ever give you an impression of this guy more than anything else, something that my wife pointed out to me (of the few times she went). This guy played with the scoreboard up more often than the game itself. He wasn't checking to see if he was winning, he was checking to make sure he was the lead scorer. If he was then great, if he wasn't then he through everything else out the window (like flags and whatnot) and started going specifically for kills until his name was at the top.

edit: it seems I let myself get a bit distracted from my original point; sure you might be better than someone else in a vehicle, or using some power weapons, but how else are they going to get better at using them?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm not talking about LANs. He would do it in who-the-hell-cares- pubs. If he wanted a vehicle and said so he would go for it. If some scrub tried to grab it and wouldn't stop, he might shoot them. If they took the vehicle he might blow it up. Not every single time, but it was pubs like 2 weeks after BF came out, we stopped playing after that because it was kind of boring.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kor wrote: »

See, I'm of the opinion that this is total bullshit, though.

For example, I used to go to a weekly LAN party in Albuquerque and we would play BF: Desert Combat. Out of the 12 of us that were there, only 1 guy really knew how to fly anything, and another guy could fake it (had like some giant $200 joystiq that he though helped him).

Anyway, if I was ever on the first guys team, and I jumped into a vehicle (keep in mind I was brand new to PC FPS games) he would scream at me. You're wasting the fucking vehicles, save them for me, blah blah blah...

I started off stealing the jets, or the planes that had to keep moving. I'd jump in a heli once in a while to try to get a feel for it, but most of the time I would do the normal thing and turn it totally upside down and crash right back where I took off from.

It was the 3rd week I played it that I actually was succesfully flying the helicopters, and therefor become that biggest threat to the douche that held them all to himself.

Eventually after I learned how to fly I actually showed other people how to do it, rather than horde the knowledge. By the end of the next couple of months, most everyone there had figured it out.

To keep this relevant to the thread, this guy was a sore winner/loser in the worst way. The kind of guy that does his research online to find the latest exploit, or hiding hole, or secret weapon spawn, and never tell anyone else. Then, once his knowledge would seep out to the rest of us he would grow tired of the game, picking random faults out of a hat and trying to force whatever other game that he had hold of.

For a bit more personal detail:
    I basically made this guy my mortal enemy. I probably wouldn't have done it, had he not volunteered to show me how the play UT2K4. The way he taught me, was he threw me into a small map deathmatch with just him, and he killed me over and over again with all the power weapons (again, first time playing PC FPS games, ever).

This went on for about 15 minutes... As soon as I got my first kill, stopping his 29th kill streak, he said I had learned enough and quit out

From then I, I specifically watched his tactics so that I could basically sell his trade secrets.

If I could ever give you an impression of this guy more than anything else, something that my wife pointed out to me (of the few times she went). This guy played with the scoreboard up more often than the game itself. He wasn't checking to see if he was winning, he was checking to make sure he was the lead scorer. If he was then great, if he wasn't then he through everything else out the window (like flags and whatnot) and started going specifically for kills until his name was at the top.

edit: it seems I let myself get a bit distracted from my original point; sure you might be better than someone else in a vehicle, or using some power weapons, but how else are they going to get better at using them?

I am guilty of this type of behavior. Not in the past 12 years or so, but when I was quite young I would pour over every little scrap of strategy guide or magazine article I could find, then promptly invite my cousin over for a few games, never telling him what I'd learned. Fortunately I've grown out of that behavior, but the interesting thing was that he never seemed to really mind. Well, except for Goldneye, the guy HATED to lose at Goldeneye.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man any time I've been to a LAN my strategies are almost always "throw myself futilely at the other team over and over" or "Try and hide and maybe pick someone off now and then."

I am awful at FPSs.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I should add that my friend didn't always use his preternatural FPS skills for evil.

When we were bored he would find a Quake 3 FFA server on some garbage map like DM17, join up, and see if he could get a rise from the top player. This was back in the day when a challenge to your manhood would be met with a terse "1v1," which he would always accept, then invite everyone else to come watch while he trounced this guy 10001 to -5, talking shit the whole time. It was a riot.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I should add that my friend didn't always use his preternatural FPS skills for evil.

When we were bored he would find a Quake 3 FFA server on some garbage map like DM17, join up, and see if he could get a rise from the top player. This was back in the day when a challenge to your manhood would be met with a terse "1v1," which he would always accept, then invite everyone else to come watch while he trounced this guy 10001 to -5, talking shit the whole time. It was a riot.

Wait ... doesn't this prove the opposite of what you set out to do?

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Naw, if you'd been there you'd know. If you're the top score on some scrub server on some weaksauce map and you still have the gumption to talk shit to someone a billion times better than you -- well, they deserved what they got.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Years and years ago when I was but a young lad in High School I, like many others, had a P.E. class. In this class we would rotate sports each month. Well this particular month was volleyball. The class broke up into multiple teams and the left overs (your's truly) ended up in our own team. Now comes the feel good portion of the story.

Our team was the leftovers, the geeks, freaks, nerds, and other "loser" sorts. We were not the "athletic" type, we were just playing for fun. However it turned out we could play volleyball like nobody's business! We completely dominated every single game. In an entire month of playing volleyball we never lost a match. The level of outrage from the other teams at losing (to us no less) made me suspect they were beaten by their parents if they didn't own at every sport.

Well time went on and my team's attitude began to change. Our happy-go-luck, play to have fun attitude slowly started to erode and before you knew it we were bitching at each other over sloppy serves or missed returns. We became that which we hated, we became monsters.

Nowadays I "play for fun" most of the time not caring if I win or lose, but every once and awhile the beast will emerge. The kind of beast who does pelvic thrusts in my opponents' faces whenever I "pwn'd" them and spout off a line of words that don't even form a coherent sentance, but are understood to be obscenities whenever I lose. :P

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Naw, if you'd been there you'd know. If you're the top score on some scrub server on some weaksauce map and you still have the gumption to talk shit to someone a billion times better than you -- well, they deserved what they got.

The real lesson here is that all MP FPS players are assholes.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Years and years ago when I was but a young lad in High School I, like many others, had a P.E. class. In this class we would rotate sports each month. Well this particular month was volleyball. The class broke up into multiple teams and the left overs (your's truly) ended up in our own team. Now comes the feel good portion of the story.

Our team was the leftovers, the geeks, freaks, nerds, and other "loser" sorts. We were not the "athletic" type, we were just playing for fun. However it turned out we could play volleyball like nobody's business! We completely dominated every single game. In an entire month of playing volleyball we never lost a match. The level of outrage from the other teams at losing (to us no less) made me suspect they were beaten by their parents if they didn't own at every sport.

Well time went on and my team's attitude began to change. Our happy-go-luck, play to have fun attitude slowly started to erode and before you knew it we were bitching at each other over sloppy serves or missed returns. We became that which we hated, we became monsters.

Nowadays I "play for fun" most of the time not caring if I win or lose, but every once and awhile the beast will emerge. The kind of beast who does pelvic thrusts in my opponents' faces whenever I "pwn'd" them and spout off a line of words that don't even form a coherent sentance, but are understood to be obscenities whenever I lose. :P

Haha...that reminds me of how it was for me in High School.

I sucked at popular sports like Football, Basketball, or Baseball. Mainly because all the other kids played those daily while...I didn't.

But give me something like Volleyball, Tennis, Swimming, and Archery and I just dominated.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

Haha...that reminds me of how it was for me in High School.

I sucked at popular sports like Football, Basketball, or Baseball. Mainly because all the other kids played those daily while...I didn't.

But give me something like Volleyball, Tennis, Swimming, and Archery and I just dominated.

I was like this, suffering through PE getting destroyed at the various sports that didn't involve plain running and then we play ping pong! See, my parents had a ping pong table. So I picked a friend of mine as my teammate and for the duration of the ping pong unit we'd practice at my house against my parents (including my dad who can reach any part of the table from wherever he is standing) every night. We ended up beating the two PE teachers in the final round of the tourney.

Arrath on
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a strong tendency to be a smarmy winner and a bit of a sore loser, but I've never had ruined friendships, controllers or consoles from it. But God I love to rub it in some whiny little shit's face when he bitches about losing. I use the art of the smiley for maximum rage-inducement.

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower