As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thief 4 announced, taffers call it Thi4f

CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
http://kotaku.com/5239296/thief-4-revealed-next-week
According to a teasing ad in the latest issue of Edge Magazine, it looks like Eidos Montreal might finally be ready to officially announce Thief 4 next Monday.

Eidos Montreal hasn't been very good at keeping secrets. having revealed last year that their next "AAA" title after Deus Ex 3 was a game from an established franchise that began with the letter "T". Now an advertisement in the latest issue of Edge Magazine teases the studio's next project being announced on May 11th, listing accolades such as Gamespy's "Hall of Fame" and Gamespot's "Greatest Games of All Time" and "Ten Best Heroes in Gaming." Inquisitive Gamespot forum goers did some searching, and determined that only one series fit all three bills - Thief.

There really is only one game they could be announcing, but we're going to leave this as a rumor until we receive any sort of official collaboration. We've contacted Eidos Montreal for comment, only to receive a not-unexpected no comment response.
Thanks for your interest, but unfortunately for now you will have to wait on the 11th of May.

Stay tuned next week for the official announcement. You might want to start practicing your surprised look in the mirror.
Discuss. The studio was opened in 2007, and it doesn't seem like Square is going to screw over the studio so the game should be fine. The new game will hopefully have an open yet well developed hub world.

Couscous on

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, this is fairly welcome news.

I should really go back and finish the earlier ones.

Xagarath on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Ah. I remember Thief. I played it for about 15 minutes total. A good friend of mine lavished tons of praise on it. How it eschewed standard video game norms. I really liked what I got to play of Deus Ex, and he told me that I'd love Thief as well.

So, I got one of the Thief games.

The second level had me in a sewer shooting zombies.

I asked him what the fuck he'd been smoking and uninstalled the game.

Sheep on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hooray! Terrific news. While the third game ended the same way the first game began and tied up all the loose ends, a new Thief game can't be a bad thing. Besides Metal Gear Solid 4, there aren't any good stealth game anymore. :(
    Sheep wrote: »
    Ah. I remember Thief. I played it for about 15 minutes total. A good friend of mine lavished tons of praise on it. How it eschewed standard video game norms. I really liked what I got to play of Deus Ex, and he told me that I'd love Thief as well.

Death to the non-believer!

emnmnme on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Reveal" and "announce" are becoming increasingly detached from their actual meaning as of late. I've seen multiple gaming news headlines say something along the lines of "_____ to be announced next week at _____." Really? You mean you didn't just announce it right fucking now?

BloodySloth on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

It's not for you.

To be fair though, that area was probably the weakest point in the game. To be even more fair though, the idea was to bypass it and not to attack the zombies. Like the rest of the game.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sheep wrote:

Quite frankly, your friend had it right. If you were even trying to shoot those zombies......you were doing it wrong. Unlike Deus Ex, Thief was purely a stealth game. Attacking anything was an action of last resort rather than a primary action. The whole point of the game was to avoid the various enemies and/or traps in your way, all while stealing everything of value that wasn't nailed down.

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to this if it does turn out to be Thief 4. Though I wonder whether or not Garrett will be in it or not. We'll have to see I suppose.

Operative21 on
    edited May 2009
    VeritasVR wrote: »

It's not for you.

To be fair though, that area was probably the weakest point in the game. To be even more fair though, the idea was to bypass it and not to attack the zombies. Like the rest of the game.
    Quite frankly, your friend had it right. If you were even trying to shoot those zombies......you were doing it wrong. Unlike Deus Ex, Thief was purely a stealth game. Attacking anything was an action of last resort rather than a primary action. The whole point of the game was to avoid the various enemies and/or traps in your way, all while stealing everything of value that wasn't nailed down.

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to this if it does turn out to be Thief 4. Though I wonder whether or not Garrett will be in it or not. We'll have to see I suppose.

I recognize that I most likely played it wrong.

It was mainly a reaction to my good friend. He just hyped the shit out of it and I wasn't 10 minutes into the game before I was, well, shooting zombies in a sewer.

It's just a contrast. "Awesomely different" - "Zombies in a Sewer". You can see how these things don't go hand in hand.

Now. With that said...

I'm totally interested in Thief 4.

Sheep on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have all 3 games, and the first one is the only game where I think I made any progress. I forgot where I stopped playing; probably somewhere around the 6th or 7th level.

I don't really remember shooting zombies in the second level, just warily creeping around those catacombs hoping they didn't notice me as I tried to sneak into the jail above.

SteevL on
    edited May 2009
    Was Thief 2 kinda open worldish?

I loved playing a Thief in Oblivion. If Thief 4 is anything like that, then I'll love it as well.

Sheep on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I loved playing a Thief in Oblivion. If Thief 4 is anything like that, then I'll love it as well.

If the entire game is like playing a thief in Oblivion, I'll probably pass. Once you got to a decent level, you could practically sprint through a dungeon filled with Ogres armed with night vision goggles and Predator helmets and you still wouldn't get caught.

It was still fun, I guess, but seriously lacking in believability.

BloodySloth on
  • BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Wow you sound exactly like one friend of mine. So a bunch of us was AMAZED at how Thief does things the orignal way, how it's a game we have never played before etc. etc. and we persuade one of our friends to buy the game and try it for himself. Well he did.

Next day he tells us:

"You know the game was pretty nice untill I faced those guards. I kept pressing '7' to equip the Rocket Launcher and frag them to pieces. Well that didn't happen and they killed me. Uninstalled it right that very moment."

Anyway after the abomination that was a recent Deus Ex 3 preview my hopes for Thief 4 are at the floor level. Here's hoping Eidos comes through and the game is at least not worse than Thief III.

Borys on
    edited May 2009

Thief 2 had more open-feeling levels, indeed. I'd be inclined to agree with the ZP review of the series yeah I just fucking went there, what now?!
    Borys wrote: »
    Anyway after the abomination that was a recent Deus Ex 3 preview my hopes for Thief 4 are at the floor level. Here's hoping Eidos comes through and the game is at least not worse than Thief III.

Wait, when did this happen?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Only have the first game, and only played about half of that first game before a crash. But I enjoyed the game despite sucking at it so hard. I would start every level going, "Okay, this time I'm a damn ninja, nobody sees me, they'll never even know I was here," and by the end of every level, I'd be running down corridors with my sack-of-marbles raised shouting, "Come on, I know there's one of you left somewhere!"

takyris on
    edited May 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    I have all 3 games, and the first one is the only game where I think I made any progress. I forgot where I stopped playing; probably somewhere around the 6th or 7th level.

I don't really remember shooting zombies in the second level, just warily creeping around those catacombs hoping they didn't notice me as I tried to sneak into the jail above.

Probably the 6th level - Eye of The Cathedral or something like that. It's the level I stopped playing Thief at. Stealing stuff from manors and castle vaults is fun. Runnig through a level full of zombies isn't.

Thief II: The Metal Age made up all for Thief 1 zombie levels. Life of the Party was the best Thief level ever. God damn I love T2. T3... not so much but I think it is at least better than that one zombie level in Thief 1.

Borys on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

No, but Thief 3 was. Ish.

One of the people who worked on Thief 3 also designed the Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion, so you can clearly see some similar design choices in the way the missions are set up. The core gameplay isn't very similar, however.

Anyway, I'll start cheering once they actually announce it, in fear of it actually being Descent To Undermountain 2.

Who are Eidos Montreal? If they actually end up making Thief 4 in addition to Deus Ex 3, they'll be carrying the Warren Spector torch something fierce. Does anyone from Looking Glass/Ion Storm actually work there?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thief 4 will be a new progression into the series. We've decided to set it in the year 3045, sometime after the third invasion of Earth by the G'ler'chuk. Most of the missions will focus around sneaking about "The Chuk" motherships to pillage their advanced technology for the good of earth.

While we originally debated trying to expand on the stealth aspects of the Thief series, we ultimately decided that players would have more fun if we worked on expanding their combat options. In this sandbox world, players will be able to do anything they want, from manning the Defender IX Turrets around Terra Prime's final bastion fortress, to stealing Chuk motherships and going on a galactic crime spree!

Our tactical Heads Up Combat Display will allow players to aim their shots at between 6 and 14 vital points on enemies (depending on their species) and our new, patented "Bullet-time" combat system will let you pull off some truly tubular attacks while stealing everything that isn't nailed down!

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited May 2009

If the entire game is like playing a thief in Oblivion, I'll probably pass. Once you got to a decent level, you could practically sprint through a dungeon filled with Ogres armed with night vision goggles and Predator helmets and you still wouldn't get caught.

It was still fun, I guess, but seriously lacking in believability.

Hundreds of hours in Morrowind pretty much prepared me for Oblivion in the sense that I knew I could break the game, so I made strides to limit myself.

Though I did eventually let myself become a vampire so I could have night vision and all that.

But, you know what I mean. I don't want it to play exactly like Oblivion. Of course I'd like for it to have it's own flair.
    Thief 2 had more open-feeling levels, indeed. I'd be inclined to agree with the ZP review of the series yeah I just fucking went there, what now?!

I generally think ZP is pretty much right on with his reviews, so I'll go check it out.

Sheep on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    1 and 2 are some of my all-time favorite games evarr. I never played 3 because my PC couldn't handle it, but... lemmie check this ... yeah Deadly Shadows came out on the Xbox as well as PC - which I never owned. So I never had a crack at that, but Lord in Heaven I hope Thief 4 comes to the PS3.

That would make my year.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Cathedral of the Eye was awesome purely for the sheer nervous tension of the level. Running around, knowing that any moment you could be torn to shreds by hordes of flesh eating undead was awesome. Especially when you realize that your objective was hovering in open view in the main hall of the cathedral - right where everybody could see it.....and you.

As far as Oblivion thief vs. Thief thief goes, they have some similarities, but in Thief you don't have the safety of falling back on magic if shit hits the fan so to speak.

Operative21 on
    edited May 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    1 and 2 are some of my all-time favorite games evarr. I never played 3 because my PC couldn't handle it, but... lemmie check this ... yeah Deadly Shadows came out on the Xbox as well as PC - which I never owned. So I never had a crack at that, but Lord in Heaven I hope Thief 4 comes to the PS3.

That would make my year.

Thief 3 is an old game now - you sure you didn't upgrade your PC/ bought a notebook/ bought a Macbook since then?

It will probably run on anything right now excluding netbooks.

Borys on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would discuss this news at length but I'm too busy re-installing Deux Ex like half the people who will read this thread.

The_Scarab on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I loved Thief 1 and 2. Played them to death. Got Thief 3 and it wouldn't run on my old PC because my video card at the time did not support pixel shaders. I have not installed Thief 3 on my current rig.

Lucascraft on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It pretty much has to be about Garrett's protege. Or so I'm hoping, anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm not. I want to play as Garrett not some stupid little bint who would no doubt be wearing knee high leather boots and a few scraps of cloth.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't care what anyone else says. Thief 3 was a good game and definitely more accessible than Thief 1/2. I roll my eyes at everyone who makes fun of shiny loot!

solsovly on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, between Assassin's Creed 2 and Thief 4, my renaissance era stealth/action needs are totally being taken care of. /glee!

Lucascraft on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, while sure it wasn't anywhere as good as thief 2, DS wasn't half the fuck up that Deus Ex 2 was, and if you ignore the whole tiny level thing, was actually not half bad

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ubi gave the protaganist of a Deus Ex prequel the ability to punch through walls and choke people behind said walls.

Maybe Garret can finally get that jetpack he's always wanted.

Mumblyfish on
    edited May 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    I don't care what anyone else says. Thief 3 was a good game and definitely more accessible than Thief 1/2. I roll my eyes at everyone who makes fun of shiny loot!

I'm pretty sure it's not the shiny loot that (true) Thief fans have an issue with. I actually enjoyed that feature, considering in Thief 1/2 I used to pick up a goblet, thinking it was gold, and having it turn out to be a normal cup. This vile cup I then had to DROP and it would make a SOUND, ever so slight, and things would shuffle in to kill me.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It pretty much has to be about Garrett's protege. Or so I'm hoping, anyway.

All is as it was written.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looking forward to playing this on my 360.

Doronron on
    edited May 2009
    The Cathedral of the Eye was awesome purely for the sheer nervous tension of the level. Running around, knowing that any moment you could be torn to shreds by hordes of flesh eating undead was awesome. Especially when you realize that your objective was hovering in open view in the main hall of the cathedral - right where everybody could see it.....and you.

As far as Oblivion thief vs. Thief thief goes, they have some similarities, but in Thief you don't have the safety of falling back on magic if shit hits the fan so to speak.

There a YouTube vid of this?

"Cathedral of the Eye" just Googles this thread.

Oh, cool.

I hadn't even thought it'd hit the 360.

Sheep on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    solsovly wrote: »

I loved thief 3. I've heard others say different, but the atmosphere was fantastic, and the game was really fun. But please, please never use the word "accessible" as a positive adjective.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Oh, cool.

I hadn't even thought it'd hit the 360.

I can't cite for it, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't multi-platform.

Doronron on
    edited May 2009

There a YouTube vid of this?

"Cathedral of the Eye" just Googles this thread.

The leve is called "The Haunted Cathedral" and you have to steal some Eye there.

Here's a Youtube walkthrough through the whole damn church:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZWQ_DitnoA

Borys on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wish Thief would get a remake. I don't think I could play Thief 1&2 and be frightened. It's looks so ancient. But the style of combat(or lack of), stealth gadgets, and badass missions + monsters, I wish I had a time machine so I never missed the first opportunity with this game.

McAllen on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Excellent news. For my wife's sake, I honestly hope that this is more of Thief 3 but "bigger," with pretty non-dated graphics and.. yeah. She loved Thief 3, and I'd be thrilled to tell her she gets to play another one. Watching her really get into a game and enjoy the hell out of it is more fun for me than actually playing sometimes.

Fawst on
    edited May 2009
    We had a video LP of Thief 1 that sadly didn't make it all the way through. The guy didn't speak during the game, which made it feel like you were playing. I believe he made it through the scariest level, "Return to the Cathedral".

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thief 3 still looks really nice with new texture packs.

The lighting work on that game was some of the best I've ever seen

nexuscrawler on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Great, now I need to finish off the trilogy before the next game comes out. Well, at least I actually got hold of all three whilst they were available.

subedii on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Guys, guys.

Deadly Shadows had the Shalebridge fuckin' Cradle.

Go ahead and tell me again how it isn't as good as the first two?

joshofalltrades on