As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tie in Mouth Joke

• Punsie McKalePunsie McKale Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    I would also like to know why Asian people born in America don't insist on being called Asian American.

I've always figured it's because African-American refers to a specific group of people, that is to say, those descended from slaves from Africa--whereas Africans are people from Africa more recently. With Asians there is no need for such distinction

Asians in America are from Asia pretty recently, too

plenty of families are only third-gen or second-gen

for instance my cousins were born in Texas even though their parents grew up in Asia, and they certainly don't insist that they be called Asian Americans

like, I see what you're saying, in that African Americans refer ONLY to those who descended from slaves in Africa, but it just strikes me as a blanket term for everyone who's black in the US

even people who weren't born in Africa but happen to be black and American are called African American... a friend of a friend is one such individual, and when he fills in those forms people always tell him he checked the wrong box

actually viv I wasn't saying that there aren't any recent Asians--just that there isn't really any reason for a distinguishing term between recent immigrants and people who trace their linegage back eight generations

and pretty much everyone who's black in the U.S. is descended from African slaves. Not everyone, but a huge percentage (especialy when you consider that the Carribean black people are descended from sugar plantation slaves)

Punsie McKale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    and pretty much everyone who's black in the U.S. is descended from African slaves. Not everyone, but a huge percentage (especialy when you consider that the Carribean black people are descended from sugar plantation slaves)

But that doesn't mean we can use African-American as a blanket term when "black" covers people who are not African descendants or American citizens even better

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i call black people dark

and i don't talk to white people so i don't call them anything

Faricazy on
  • Punsie McKalePunsie McKale Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »

But that doesn't mean we can use African-American as a blanket term when "black" covers people who are not African descendants or American citizens even better

I completely agree

the lineage of politically correct terms from black folks is pretty crazy

it seems like each one is a backlash against the term before it

"Negro" is too friendly and subservient, so "black" comes into vogue. "Black" gets associated with the violent civil rights protests, so the friendlier "African-American" is used, in the style of "German-American" or "Itallian-American". But now it's more important to be inclusive, so "black" is used again, which is ok because it's been so long since the 60s and 70s.

pretty wild stuff

Punsie McKale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i'm first generation american and i never get any cool phrases to describe me

Mister Longbaugh on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    I would also like to know why Asian people born in America don't insist on being called Asian American.

I've always figured it's because African-American refers to a specific group of people, that is to say, those descended from slaves from Africa--whereas Africans are people from Africa more recently. With Asians there is no need for such distinction

Asians in America are from Asia pretty recently, too

plenty of families are only third-gen or second-gen

for instance my cousins were born in Texas even though their parents grew up in Asia, and they certainly don't insist that they be called Asian Americans

like, I see what you're saying, in that African Americans refer ONLY to those who descended from slaves in Africa, but it just strikes me as a blanket term for everyone who's black in the US

even people who weren't born in Africa but happen to be black and American are called African American... a friend of a friend is one such individual, and when he fills in those forms people always tell him he checked the wrong box

actually viv I wasn't saying that there aren't any recent Asians--just that there isn't really any reason for a distinguishing term between recent immigrants and people who trace their linegage back eight generations

so how far back do you go before you say that that line of descent doesn't count anymore?

how recent does it have to be? how far back do you have to go? (to be African instead of African-American, or vice versa)

because okay I would imagine that the Caribbean blacks in the US are more distantly descended from their African slave ancestors than ones who were shipped right from Africa

if even one of your ancestors was a slave, does that make you African American in the strictest definition of the term?

I dunno if I'm making what I'm asking very clear, but you're saying that there's no point in making a distinction between recent immigrants over those who've been here for ages when it comes to Asians, and yet it IS necessary to make that distinction when it comes to blacks?

why?

(I realize you're mainly offering up your understanding of the subject but this is something I am genuinely curious about)

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    edited May 2009
    Cowboy-American

Faricazy on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

big-nose

white devil

foreign devil

outsider

(that's what you'd be called in China)

Vivixenne on
    edited May 2009
    i always wanted to be a cowboy.

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited May 2009

big-nose

white devil

foreign devil

outsider

(that's what you're be called in China)

hm.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

big-nose

Hey

Javen on
    edited May 2009
    Here's a weird idea

We just call everyone "people"

globe_pple.gif

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    Javen wrote: »

big-nose

Hey

it's true though

Vivixenne on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's not that big.

Javen on
    edited May 2009
    so if i was born in china but my parents weren't i'd be a pariah?

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited May 2009
    Here's a weird idea

globe_pple.gif

god what a hippy

racism is TRADITION

(I'll tell you what Chinese people are the most racist people you will ever meet, don't listen to their claims to the contrary)

Vivixenne on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here's a weird idea

globe_pple.gif

I prefer to call everyone 'You there'.

Though I can't for the life of me remember what this is in reference to. I think its Futurama.

The_Scarab on
    edited May 2009
    everybody needs to just fuck and fuck and keep fuckin til we're all the same color

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited May 2009

the mainland Chinese don't care where you come from

they care what you look like

every black dude is called "fei ren" or "African"

every white person is called a "bai gui" or "white devil" (alternatively, "da bi zi" or "big nose")

DISCLAIMER: TERMS VARY FROM REGION TO REGION

if you don't look Chinese, you are considered a "lao wai" or "outsider" and they don't give a fuck where you were born, it could've been down the street from them and your family could've been there for ages

Vivixenne on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Don't go to Chinee.

Come to Seoul and call yourself "Meguk-saram." It's exotic.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited May 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    It's not that big.

it's bigger'n mine

Vivixenne on
    edited May 2009
    (I'll tell you what Chinese people are the most racist people you will ever meet, don't listen to their claims to the contrary)

Yes

My best friend is Chinese

We are always offensive to gentiles of other races

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009

every white person is called a "bai gui" or "white devil" (alternatively, "da bi zi" or "big nose")

if you don't look Chinese, you are considered a "lao wai" or "outsider" and they don't give a fuck where you were born, it could've been down the street from them and your family could've been there for ages

i would beat some chinese ass if he called me big nose.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

makes me feel better about being such a shitty tipper at the chinese down my street.

but i mean seriously, they overcharge on everything because they know im so lazy ill never eat anywhere else.

The_Scarab on
    edited May 2009
    fun fact

if you mispronounce "da bi zi" you could easily be saying "big vagina" instead of "big nose"

Vivixenne on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    everybody needs to just fuck and fuck and keep fuckin til we're all the same color

A nice caramel color.

Hunter on
    edited May 2009
    Hunter wrote: »

A nice caramel color.

No, I think the color should be lighter!

Oh, wait...

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    fun fact

if you mispronounce "da bi zi" you could easily be saying "big vagina" instead of "big nose"

There's a WAM joke in here, I can smell it.

Hunter on
    edited May 2009
    i mean i'm a forward thinker man i like women of every conceivable race, color and creed.

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited May 2009
    Chinese form nicknames on appearance alone

like if there's a fat kid in a group of friends, his nickname is GUARANTEED to be either "fatty" or "big <dude's name>" and the dude will be okay with it

it's not that they're racist or appearance-based or anything like that to be MEAN

it's that they don't even KNOW they're being racist or appearance-based or anything like that because in China, you're born as you are, and you may as well own up to it instead of worrying about what you can't change or shouldn't be ashamed of

that's the culture, anyway

Vivixenne on
    edited May 2009
    fun fact

no that's just the vagina

Vivixenne on
    edited May 2009
    fun fact

how do you say "big teeth"

Faricazy on
    edited May 2009
    i mean i'm a forward thinker man i like women of every conceivable race, color and creed.

Yes, women are attractive of all race, colors, and combinations.

Hunter on
    edited May 2009
    though to clarify

some of the things I've heard friends and family say about some other races is straight-up shit that makes you go "woooooooooooooooooooooooow"

like Indians or Japanese?

my dad loves them as individuals, thinks they're smart people

but talking about them as a group of people, as a race?

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Vivixenne on
  • GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

An African woman with Irish red hair born in Vietnam who moves to Austria and is a Phelps-following closet lesbian?

GoldenSeducer on
    edited May 2009
    my grandma is from the old country and still uses slurs to refer to all races because "that's how they did it back home"

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know people who do that, but the "old country" is just "a small town west of Detroit."

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited May 2009

An African woman with Irish red hair born in Vietnam who moves to Austria and is a Phelps-following closet lesbian?

yeah sure why not.

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited May 2009

I'd hit it like a fat chick attacking a carton of Ben and Jerry's icecream after watching some TV movie on Lifetime.

Hunter on
    edited May 2009
    my grandma is from the old country and still uses slurs to refer to all races because "that's how they did it back home"

yeah the slang terms Cantonese people use to talk about everyone else are actually pretty insulting and everyone uses them when speaking Cantonese

nowadays they're used more as just "the terms they've always used" so there's nothing vicious behind their use, it's just the word they grew up associating with them

but you know, those terms' origins are not so nice

that said, I watched Clerks 2 the other night and I didn't even know that half the terms that were said in that one segment of the movie were racial slurs

he lists a bunch and I'm all "what, I have never heard those before what do those even MEAN"

and during the scene I have no idea why everyone's so offended and Blake has to lean over to me and go "yeah that's a racial slur against blacks"

and I'm just like what is there a handbook people have that lists this shit

Vivixenne on