As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fight Night Round 4: It's About Fucking Time

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
So it seems that the sequel to EA's fuckawesome boxing title is due to come out sometime this summer. If you are anything like me, you've been waiting 50 (3) years for this game.

Official Website

http://fightnight.easports.com/splash.aspx

TAGLINE: No Two Fights Are Ever The Same

Over 40 Licensed fighters

Confirmed in game

Joe Calzaghe
joe-calzaghe.jpg

Muhammad Ali
MUHAMMAD-ALI_88__F-300.305_20.jpg

Lennox Lewis
lewis.jpg

Sugar Ray Leonard
sugar_ray_leonard_240x230_20060528.jpg

Amir Khan
AmirKhan2PA_468x409.jpg

Winky Wright
Winky-Wright01-0503-0602.jpg

Oscar De La Hoya
oscar.jpg

Manny Pacquiao
manny_pacquiao.jpg

"Prince" Naseem Hamed
naz.jpg

Ray Mercer
raymercer.jpg

and

Mike Tyson
tysonwin.gif

Rumors I just Made Up:

1. Mike Tyson will have a special move that allows you to bite your opponents ear.
2. He will also have a special training mini-game where he will eat his opponents children.
3. That picture of "Prince" Naseem Hamed is fucking ridiculous,

Raijin Quickfoot on

• JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    3. That picture of "Prince" Naseem Hamed is fucking ridiculous,

This is not a rumor.

Joeslop on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm hoping he gets to use those gloves in the game.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lets hope they don't make the game impossible to win for people who like sticks and not spamming those special punches over and over. Like round 3.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    They should just do away with the face button controls. If you can't figure out how to play with the sticks maybe you should play something else.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • DolbyDigitalDolbyDigital Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They should just do away with the face button controls. If you can't figure out how to play with the sticks maybe you should play something else.

DolbyDigital on
    XBOX Live: xSUPERBUCKx (formerly BuckySuperJew - MS made me change it)
    PSN: BuckySuperJew

Spoiler'd GamerCards
    xSUPERBUCKx.pngcard5.png
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Will wait for reviews on this one.

Round 3 cheated like a bastard, and the Burger King endorsement went way beyond what should be considered appropriate, even for a sports game.

As someone mentioned, Round 4 really needs to get back to boxing strategy, not spamming the flash punch while the AI does the same.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    YESES! KillWhitey/Handsome Constanza is going to get his face made into hamburger by my dudeeeeeee

NeuralFizz on
    edited February 2009
    Round 3 holds a special place in my heart. It was the first game for the 360 that truly looked next-gen. The graphics still hold up against anything released so far.

I really enjoyed the gameplay as well. The endorsements were horrific and the career mode was weak.

Supposedly the career mode will be much, much deeper now.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • DolbyDigitalDolbyDigital Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really loved Round 3. I had it on the PS2, and played the F out of it. Then I borrowed it from my buddy when I finally got a 360, and played through it completely again.

It remains one of the few games that I actually have obtained 1000/1000 GS...

Repeatedly pressing X for the slow-mo replay of the knockout NEVER got old.

But yes, the AI was chock-full of some major BS at the higher difficulty levels.

DolbyDigital on
    XBOX Live: xSUPERBUCKx (formerly BuckySuperJew - MS made me change it)
    PSN: BuckySuperJew

Spoiler'd GamerCards
    xSUPERBUCKx.pngcard5.png
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    - Release date (via IGN):
    UK: June 27, 2009
    US/Australia: June 30, 2009

- Demo (Pacquiao vs Hatton) date:
    Mid-May in the US
    http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/NewsCom-314475.aspx

Late May/Early June in Europe
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ea-pinpoints-fight-night-round-4-demo

- Roster update (Official Playstation Magazine, June 2009)
    ScannedImage.jpg
    Mike Tyson
    Muhammad Ali
    Ricky Hatton
    Ray Robinson
    Thomas Hearns
    Miguel Cotto
    Shane Mosley
    Jake Lamotta
    Marvin Hagler
    Roy Jones Jr.
    Carlos Monzon
    Jermaine Taylor
    Kelly Pavlik
    Manny Pacquiao
    Pernell Whitaker
    Julio Cesar Chavez
    George Foreman
    Joe Frazier
    Lennox Lewis
    Ray Leonard
    James Toney
    Roberto Duran
    Marco Antonio Barrera
    Amin Asikainen
    Paulie Malinaggi
    Kermit Cintron
    Eddie Chambers
    Arturo Gatti
    Corey Spinks
    Tommy Morrison
    Sergio Mora
    Fernando Montiel
    Jorge Armando Arce Arementa
    Anthony Mundine
    Emanuel Augustus
    Vinny Paz
    Vivian Harris
    Bill Dib
    Diego Corrales
    Erik Morales
    Nate Campbell
    Ronald "Winky" Wright
    Yuriorkis Gamboa
    Nonito Donaire
    Arthur Abraham
    Joe Calzaghe
    Robert Guerrero
    Edwim Valero
    Victor Ortiz

Changes:

- Revamped stickwork. No more "body modifier" on punches except for jabs/straights. Flicking the right stick to 3 and 9 o'clock throw Left/Right body hooks, flicking to 4 and 7 o'clock throw L/R body uppers. Flicking the left stick to 3 and 9 o'clock will make you bob and weave L/R.

- No more countering/parrying. Only blocking high or low.

- 3rd meter for Blocking Power. Too much turtle, and your blocks will become increasingly ineffective. Some punches may slip through your guard.

- No more cut/swelling mini-game between rounds. Instead, you'll earn "recovery points" for in-ring tasks like getting a knockdown, throwing a nice combo, etc. You then spend those points in between rounds to recover health/stamina/blocking, or you can save them for later.

The developers on Round 4 have decided to make analog controls the only control scheme.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3173347

Screens:
    946195_20090430_790screen001.jpg
    946195_20090330_790screen004.jpg
    946195_20090413_790screen005.jpg

BubbaT on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holy wow, those are some gorgeous screens.
    I loved FNR3, this one will be purchased for sure.:^:

Scotty on
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

+17

remlap13 on
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This game looks/will be awesome. I really hope that EA thinks about using the face mapping feature for this game. Rainbow Six: Vegas was much more fun when bullets were going through my face.

Kelly Pavlik? Fuck yes!

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No Klitschko bros... to hell with THE heavyweight champs I suppose. The roster is a bit weak IMO, but as long as they have a vastly improved CAF, I can overlook that.

Hamed, really? REALLY? Talk about digging through the trash.

This does look good, don't get me wrong. And I'll probably buy it day one. I'm just tired of these games overlooking current fighters.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Round 3 holds a special place in my heart. It was the first game for the 360 that truly looked next-gen. The graphics still hold up against anything released so far.

I really enjoyed the gameplay as well. The endorsements were horrific and the career mode was weak.

It was my first 1000/1000, so it's special for me too :) I could never finish King Kong.

BTW, who's developing this? EA Chicago, the talent behind FNR3, got shitcanned.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ricky Hatton's in this, right? I wonder if he comes with real-time knockoutable action.

edit: yeah, like this

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited May 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Ricky Hatton's in this, right? I wonder if he comes with real-time knockoutable action.

edit: yeah, like this

Not very realistic looking. Saturday's KO was 10X more brutal, and sudden, and awesome, and.... beautiful.

Capt Howdy on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    No Klitschko bros... to hell with THE heavyweight champs I suppose. The roster is a bit weak IMO, but as long as they have a vastly improved CAF, I can overlook that.

This does look good, don't get me wrong. And I'll probably buy it day one. I'm just tired of these games overlooking current fighters.

And it doesn't have everyone's favorite champion, Floyd Mayweather!

Joke game is joke.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited May 2009
    B:L wrote: »

Joke game is joke.

Floyd should be in; the guy is a damn great boxer and former P4P king. In the very least they should include him for the (God Willing) Pacman - Money dream fight. I'm pretty sure PBF asked for too much money tho.

Capt Howdy on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

The developers on Round 4 have decided to make analog controls the only control scheme.

ANALOG CONTROLS THE ONLY CONTROL SCHEME.

This cannot be quoted enough.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    - Release date (via IGN):
    UK: June 27, 2009
    US/Australia: June 30, 2009

- Demo (Pacquiao vs Hatton) date:
    Mid-May in the US
    http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/NewsCom-314475.aspx

Late May/Early June in Europe
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ea-pinpoints-fight-night-round-4-demo

- Roster update (Official Playstation Magazine, June 2009)
    ScannedImage.jpg
    Mike Tyson
    Muhammad Ali
    Ricky Hatton
    Ray Robinson
    Thomas Hearns
    Miguel Cotto
    Shane Mosley
    Jake Lamotta
    Marvin Hagler
    Roy Jones Jr.
    Carlos Monzon
    Jermaine Taylor
    Kelly Pavlik
    Manny Pacquiao
    Pernell Whitaker
    Julio Cesar Chavez
    George Foreman
    Joe Frazier
    Lennox Lewis
    Ray Leonard
    James Toney
    Roberto Duran
    Marco Antonio Barrera
    Amin Asikainen
    Paulie Malinaggi
    Kermit Cintron
    Eddie Chambers
    Arturo Gatti
    Corey Spinks
    Tommy Morrison
    Sergio Mora
    Fernando Montiel
    Jorge Armando Arce Arementa
    Anthony Mundine
    Emanuel Augustus
    Vinny Paz
    Vivian Harris
    Bill Dib
    Diego Corrales
    Erik Morales
    Nate Campbell
    Ronald "Winky" Wright
    Yuriorkis Gamboa
    Nonito Donaire
    Arthur Abraham
    Joe Calzaghe
    Robert Guerrero
    Edwim Valero
    Victor Ortiz

Changes:

- Revamped stickwork. No more "body modifier" on punches except for jabs/straights. Flicking the right stick to 3 and 9 o'clock throw Left/Right body hooks, flicking to 4 and 7 o'clock throw L/R body uppers. Flicking the left stick to 3 and 9 o'clock will make you bob and weave L/R.

- No more countering/parrying. Only blocking high or low.

- 3rd meter for Blocking Power. Too much turtle, and your blocks will become increasingly ineffective. Some punches may slip through your guard.

- No more cut/swelling mini-game between rounds. Instead, you'll earn "recovery points" for in-ring tasks like getting a knockdown, throwing a nice combo, etc. You then spend those points in between rounds to recover health/stamina/blocking, or you can save them for later.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3173347

Screens:
    946195_20090330_790screen004.jpg
    946195_20090413_790screen005.jpg

My excitement is now dampen just a bit. I loved the counter/parrying system, nothing felt better than parrying a punch and slamming your fist into a guy's face.

noir_blood on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I only rented FNR3, but I enjoyed it enough to make me recently consider grabbing it off of Goozex. Suppose I can just wait for this now.

On the issue of controls, I actually didn't know that you could use the face buttons in FNR3. Of course, now that the analog controls will be the only controls, you just know that tons and tons of idiots are going to bitch about it and force their return in a sequel or screw us all out of a sequel altogether. Regardless, good control scheme.

Getting rid of the parries seems like a pretty good idea. FNR3 was pretty immersive for except for every time one of my punches would get parried and I'd be magically helpless for a second or two. Arm getting pushed aside =/= getting hit with a tazer. Plus, now you get rewarded instead of punished for being aggressive. If a dude just stands there taking the hits, eventually you'll smash him. Now people have to fight.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Joke game is joke.

On missing boxers:

TeamXbox: The classic lineup in Round 4 is impressive. Was there a classic fighter that you really wanted for the game, but, for whatever reason, it didn’t work out?

Fight Night Round 4 team: Yeah, there are a couple boxers. Holyfield, Mayweather, De La Hoya…and, of course, some of the old guys from Round 3, such as Marciano and Dempsey. The Photo Game face feature makes it pretty easy to create anyone though, as long as you have a high quality image for scanning.

TeamXbox: It seems as though ego would play a part in who ends up in the game. Like, one boxer refusing if he was ranked lower than one of his rivals…

Fight Night Round 4 team: Yes. It’s not always up to us who ends up being in our game. Sometimes the guys just aren’t interested. Or there’s a big push for guys wanting to be on the cover. Or their demands are generally unreasonable. It really relates well to why some match-ups never happen in real boxing.

A story related to this occurred in Las Vegas when we were talking with boxers about being in the game. We told one heavyweight contender—again, not naming any names—that we could probably hook it up and get him in. He e-mailed us back and said that he didn’t want to be in Fight Night, but wanted his own game with his name on it. [team laughs] I can only think of one athlete that has his name on an EA game, and that’s Tiger Woods. And there’s no “Tiger Woods” of boxing at this time.

http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/2402/Fight-Night-Round-4-QA/p2/

I'd love to know who that heavy was.

I'd be fairly surprised if Mayweather didn't show up as DLC after release. You'll notice that Marquez is also suspiciously absent, and they fight 2 weeks after the game releases. It seems tailor-made for DLC.

BubbaT on
    edited May 2009
    A story related to this occurred in Las Vegas when we were talking with boxers about being in the game. We told one heavyweight contender—again, not naming any names—that we could probably hook it up and get him in. He e-mailed us back and said that he didn’t want to be in Fight Night, but wanted his own game with his name on it. [team laughs] I can only think of one athlete that has his name on an EA game, and that’s Tiger Woods. And there’s no “Tiger Woods” of boxing at this time. [/I]

http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/2402/Fight-Night-Round-4-QA/p2/

I'd love to know who that heavy was.

I'd be fairly surprised if Mayweather didn't show up as DLC after release. You'll notice that Marquez is also suspiciously absent, and they fight 2 weeks after the game releases. It seems tailor-made for DLC.

Not knowing when they asked, I might venture it was Haye or Toney. Either wouldn't surprise me.

DLC is another thing I'd like to know more about for this. I'll be less than pleased if they try charging $5 for a new fighter or costume. Fighter packs wouldn't be as annoying tho.

Capt Howdy on
  • LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I skipped round 3... but can anyone tell me if they ever made jabbing worthwhile? In Round 2, it always seemed like it was most effective to just spam haymakers.

Lingxor on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lingxor wrote: »
    I skipped round 3... but can anyone tell me if they ever made jabbing worthwhile? In Round 2, it always seemed like it was most effective to just spam haymakers.

Nope, and that's why Victorious Boxers will always be superior.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wish this game would come to the pc :(

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • delfonicdelfonic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm a button user. I fought somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 times online. Online play makes the buttons a necessity.

I have no problem with them removing the buttons from the game... if they can make the sticks fucking throw the punch I input.

Jabbing is the A1, 1A, Heinz 57 sauce meat and potatoes of high level play. Its one of only two punches you can use against a philly shell counter puncher and also one of the most damaging punches in the game if you happen to be playing with Ali or Jermaine Taylor. Add that to the fact that it's the only punch that you can safely feint with and I consider it to be a more effective punch than the any of the haymakers.

delfonic on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd say delfonic sounds like he knows his shit.

I was a button-user, too, but that was because I sucked with the analogue sticks.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited May 2009
    delfonic wrote: »
    I'm a button user. I fought somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 times online. Online play makes the buttons a necessity.

I have no problem with them removing the buttons from the game... if they can make the sticks fucking throw the punch I input.

Jabbing is the A1, 1A, Heinz 57 sauce meat and potatoes of high level play. Its one of only two punches you can use against a philly shell counter puncher and also one of the most damaging punches in the game if you happen to be playing with Ali or Jermaine Taylor. Add that to the fact that it's the only punch that you can safely feint with and I consider it to be a more effective punch than the any of the haymakers.

The real question is if the jab can be properly used as a setup punch. So many great KO shots were setup by the jab, but games generally tend to ignore that fact. The jab is either the ultimate stick punch, or nothing more than an easily overcome annoyance.

Capt Howdy on
  • JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gamestop early demo codes are valid as of yesterday. Preorder it and try it out.

The physics are great! I'll post more in depth thoughts in a bit.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The videos gametrailers have for this are stunning. I bought FN3 for about £20 on a whim and enjoyed the hell out of it, but I'm really considering getting this earlier.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    1) I'm so excited about the cleaned-up control scheme! FN:R3 was all parry and hay-maker, so its nice to see that taken out. I'm really pumped about the sticks-only, too.

2) The partial contact/deflection is a huge deal if they want to have the game become serious. Something between "blocked" and "on the button" is not easy to do, I'm sure, but I give EA props for even trying.

3) Holy shit, there are boxing fans here? I had no idea! Seeing a PA thread where people shit on PBF is like discovering chocolate covered peanut butter.

LaPuzza on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    round 3 was the game that made me appreciate sports games. so great, so fun.
    hopefully though, there are not glaring burger king endorsements this time around.
    the king truly sucked ass as a trainer.

Local H Jay on
  • SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Round 3 was the only real realistic sports game I've ever owned/enjoyed.

In fact, my history with sports games pretty much amounts to it and Punch-Out.

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    1) I'm so excited about the cleaned-up control scheme! FN:R3 was all parry and hay-maker, so its nice to see that taken out. I'm really pumped about the sticks-only, too.

Eh, I thought it was fairly well-balanced in that regard. If all you did was parry/haymaker, you'd get worn out pretty damn quick. In fact, in that situation, quick jabs were the way to stay dangerous while recouping stamina, IIRC.

I remember using jabs a lot as an opener, because it didn't waste stamina and it was a lot quicker to recover from a parry. If someone parried a jab, more often than not they would haymaker, but because it was a jab you had more than enough time to recover and block before they'd finished winding up.

FNR3 was the game that sold me on a 360 because the graphics were so incredible. I remember being really impressed that there were no health bars and by the stick control, which made so much more sense. I'll be picking this up, possibly day one.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    I remember using jabs a lot as an opener, because it didn't waste stamina and it was a lot quicker to recover from a parry. If someone parried a jab, more often than not they would haymaker, but because it was a jab you had more than enough time to recover and block before they'd finished winding up.

That's how I used to play online - bait, dodge, and counter the counter. However, in 1 player, the parry-and-pound was easiest, almost TOO easy. Every time I fell behind in a fight, I crutched back on the parry.

LaPuzza on
  • JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, demo impressions.

Honestly at first I was a little disappointed with the look. The graphics didn't seem as realistic looking at times compared to 3. I think it's because of a few things; 1- Everything is so brightly colored. In 3, the tones were darker and colors muted, and it looked convincing. And 2- everything looks like it's covered in oil. Everything's so shiny. I know it's sweat, but man, every peice of cloth is shiny, the tape on the gloves, the trunks (I know, they're all satin), but still. Even their hair is shiny in some cutscenes. The trainers are shiny. The trainer's hats are shiny. It gives them a plastic look. But the muscles contracting and flexing is great. That looks real.

And I thought the way they threw punches didn't look as natural as in 3 at first. Something's just a bit off. It's 60fps, and smooth, but I couldn't put my finger on it. After thinking about it, I believe it's the body sizes and stances. Their midsections are wide, and it makes their arms look smaller. Both of their stances seem odd. Leaning forward, leading with the head, arms at the waist like they're holding something. Not like the EU style of one arm down, just kind of unnatural. I think other styles in the game will change this, hopefull they'll have the gloves up and look more like most boxers, I know these two are sluggers. A lot of boxers have their hands up by their head, not quite blocking, just their natural stance.

So graphically it's an adjustment. It's not bad, but like I said, at times the movement, bright colors and shinyness look a bit cartoony, like it's definitely a videogame, but other times when you're viewing a knockdown replay, it looks very real, and really impressive.

But man the physics. Arms get tangled, glancing blows, puching through blocks, blocking animations changing per punch, really nice sutble things. When you block, they tekup (cover) the jab, or the arm will shift over the ear to cover the hook. Nice. The inside fighting is really cool too. And the clinching is not the same animation. If they're ducking for body shots, you'll grab over the top of them.

They simplified the TPC, after a few matches, you get used to it, and can start firing high/low combos quickly. It feels very fluid. They do still have haymakers, but with a RB button modifier, you don't have to pull them back. Push to the right or left for body hooks now, diagonal down for body uppercuts, and LB plus diagonal up for body straights. The leaning isn't quite the same, you can't just sit leaning back and over and have them miss, the punches track to where your head is if you do that. Which leads into the counter system...

The counter system is GREAT! I love it. It's so much more dynamic. It's all timing now. It was before in 3, but it's not particularly easy now. You time your blocks or leans right when the punch is coming and follow it up. You'll know it when you see it, the camera moves a bit, or the blocking bar will flash. And the counters have some juice on them, they look like they hurt. But it's not like the parry in 3, they're not helpless, they can block or dodge immediately, so it's really a tricky chess match of timing and picking your shots. Some of the punches don't look like they have anything on them, depending on if they're clean or not, but the counters sure do.

Flash knockdowns and stuns are in. If you get a good clean counter shot it can be stun, the health bar turns red and they're in trouble. If your timing is good and you manage a counter haymaker, you can get a flash knockdown. I had awesome match right at the start where I slipped a cross and caught Paquiao clean with a counter haymaker hook right over his arm. Dropped him. The knockdown animations are impressive. I stunned him later and ended the fight with a body uppercut, and he slumped on top of my arm as it was still raising up. Looked so real.

I went back and forth between 3 and 4 last night. I love 3, big time. Not a huge fan of the parry stuff, but it still looks and plays really well. But playing it after 4, you can definitely see the limitations, and I wanted to be able to do the stuff you can in 4.

It's the little things that really stand out. The physics are awesome. The announcing is much better. Teddy Atlas joins Joe T. and the commentary is well done. The CAB looks detailed and the camera option is going to be really nice to create boxers not in the roster.

I can't wait for the full game.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tyson ear biting and children eating??? I'm so on board.

Do we get a button to make him speak on command? I want endless squeeky voice trash talking

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fn3 was awesome, especially the character creator. Making uncanny reproductions of all my friends and then having them beat the ever loving piss out of each other still stands as one of my highlights of this generation.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?