As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Knowing no mercy, Toady One destroyed our lives!

• Options
    tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do you have "dwarves only drink/fish from designated area" set in options?

tgbob on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    God I love the custom name maker so much.

Sewerhell the Ageless Anus of Animals. Strike the earth!

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Arg. I really would like to play adventure mode more but the lag bugs the crap out of me. I hope he makes it at least a little better next release. I've tried the OpenGL version 11 but even though its faster in Dwarf Mode it doesn't seem any better in adventure mode.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tgbob wrote: »
    Do you have "dwarves only drink/fish from designated area" set in options?
    Ah ha, thanks.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    So my hermit Quest for Old Age fortress is underway at a lively 400+ FPS average. Hopefully, the FPS will stay that high.

The problem is that my hermit is doing so awesome as far as engraving, farming, and building his underground pyramid tomb, I'm getting 20+ migrants regularly. Every season for the last five years. There are so many immigrants, I have the leftover crazies from two or three waves ago attacking the newest immigrants. These are the dumbest immigrants ever. There's not even enough vermin to go around there are so many suicidal immigrants piling up.

In case you haven't:

Pull up the init.txt file in your /data/init folder, scroll down to [POPULATION_CAP:XX], and set XX to 1. This isn't a perfect solution, as migrants have been known to arrive in singles anyway, but it's better than having to dispose of them 20 at a time.

You'll need to restart the DF program in order for it to work, but it will work with existing savegames.

Nah, I like things the way they are. The fortress is completely walled off anyway, so the constant immigrant craziness is a little amusing. "Disposing' of twenty immigrants right now consists of simply letting the dwarves either bash each other to death or get depressed and throw themselves into a pond.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One fun thing to do with disposable immigrants is recruit them all into the military, then station them all on the same spot.

One goes crazy, hilarity ensues.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Doh. Fortress failure cascade by fire imp.

edit: nope, looks like it's just gonna be 4 deaths and no failed fort. We can recover!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    TekDragon wrote: »
    I'm 111% sure this has been asked before, but is there a tileset compatible with .40d?

Yes.

All are compatible.

Or did you mean to ask something more specific?

Thank you. No, that was all.

I wanted to get back into this but was worried Mayday's awesome tileset wouldn't work with the new version.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Heh, as usual the doom of that fortress was me: I realized that my civilization didn't have any flux stone I could trade for, so my plans for that place immediately dried up.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BartinyouBartinyou Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Query
    I have started a new fortress named ArrowThundered on a ocean/aquifer area. I was curious about how many z levels a aquifer can be found. When I am embarked it showed an aquifer being on the Black Sand and chalk z levels, but I have been finding damp stone on multiple (more than five so far) levels. So far I have found damp stone on 4 chalk z levels. I was wondering if this was normal to find some many z levels with damp stone. Note: this is my first ocean and aquifer map so this is all new to me.

Bartinyou on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In my (very limited) experience you will find that any Black Sand or Chalk tiles are going to be aquifer, regardless of what z-level they're on.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Not exactly WaltDogg, you'll find the aquifer layers all clumped together. If there's another black sand or chalk layer listed on the embark screen which isn't an aquifer it will be dry in game as well.
    One layer on the embark screen generally equates to several Z levels in game, so a double aquifer can be very deep. If you manage to make a safe passage through it I'll be impressed, upload the map to the DF map archive if you do so I can see what you did: http://mkv25.net/dfma/

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oops, jd is right. But most of the time they are together, in my experience.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Unfortunately I gave up on the map because I did not even want to try and comprehend how I would go about removing an aquifer from all 5 of those z levels. That and the aquifer ran right into my proposed sleeping quarters and dining hall. Perhaps I will give it another go sometime in the future.

Bartinyou on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    An aquifer through two soil layers isn't too bad; soil layers are usually only one level deep.

The point I was trying to get across is that the aquifer is tied to the soil or rock layer, not to the z-level. If for instance you've got a sandy loam aquifer layer which is primarily found at z-3 but in some spots rises to z-2 or z-1 then you'll get aquifer in sandy loam tiles at all those levels.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Whew, that was lucky. I got a jeweler possessed before I breached the aquifer, so I started scrambling to set up a glass furnace to make some raw green glass for him, it was going to be very close. I finally breached the aquifer while this was underway, and hit a patch of gems almost immediately which he grabbed. Too bad it's a possession so no legendary out of it.

edit: whoa, he made a gemstone coffin O,o that's pretty cool.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You guys better start think about the next thread title, I'm afraid I can't think of much, but you should probably involve Toady's new cat, Scamps.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    something about butchering cats

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So I faced my first Kobold ambush (ever!) in my new fort, needless to say two war dogs and one stone fall trap easily man handled those little muskrats. Here is to hoping they continue to try though, I do not have any copper deposits on my map and they are my only access. :P

Edit: right after posting this I got to watch a stray bull man-handle a kobold wrestler.

Bartinyou on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so... the first request for items i get from my mayor is to make 2 adamantine items.

what a dick.

i wish i didn't name him after me, i can't kill him D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sure you can, commit suicide!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just tell your mayor if he enters the chamber with a bauxite door and pulls the bauxite lever he will get all the adamantine items he could ever desire. :winky:

Bartinyou on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I finally started playing with the new location searching system and picked a nice spot with a magma pipe.
    I embark and there it is, in the lower right corner, in a nice green meadow with lots of trees. I head over and start digging down to establish my fort.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be a Bad Idea (TM). Not soon after I got my food and supplies transferred to the area, a Magma-Man and a fire imp pop out to greet the new neighbors. Their welcome gift? Breathing fire on my damn mason. He dies instantly, and the nice green grass in the area bursts into flame and starts a goddamn forest fire. 5 more of my dwarves die instantly in the inferno. A good quarter of the map ends up burning. The only survivor was a woodcutter, lying there in a hideously burned coma, right next to his dead buddies. He lived about a week until the imp came back and finished roasting him.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i'm really confused now, i am pretty sure my map has adamantine but i can't find the demon pit with reveal.exe

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Gentlemen I call upon you to help me devise a plan to seek revenge on a group of goblins. These vile creatures ambushed a mere helpless child while he was playing in the meadow with his war dog. The dog managed to take out a goblin spearman before he was killed. The boy, Tirist, fell shortly after his faithful companion. My cage traps captured 3 of the 5 survivors while my marksdwarves picked off the other two. Now I need some help devising a cruel end for these murderers.
    Side Note: His mother is a champion wrestler in my army, and there is no magma on this map (I know what was I thinking).

Bartinyou on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Gladiator pit. Station the mother in there with them and hook the cages up to a lever. Pull lever, they get released, mother gets revenge or not.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My fortress features a "Narfle the Garthok" pit.

A titan wandered into my map, and the summarily fell into a cage trap. the only one i had.

So i dug a pit, put a bridge over it, and put his cage in there, destroyed or tiled over the stairs and ramps, and released the poor bastard.

Now, if they get caught, i'll toss them in for my viewing pleasure. or when they raid, i raise the bridge and watch them fall in, and get stunned. while the titan rips off their arms.

if i ever get bored of the titan, i plan to release magma into the room. and just drop gobbies into that.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there any kind of good may to look up worldgen paramaters, to get the holy grail site?
    I just want sand, magma, flux, dirt layers, and an underground river for towercaps... on a 2x2 for my poor framerate...
    Is that too much to ask? ^^'

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There are tweaks you can do, I'm not great at it though. Your world would ideally want to have a very high number of regions and very high volcanic activity. That would give the best odds of finding a good spot because there would be more chances for a sand-bearing region to rub up against a mountain range for the underground river, and have magma and flux in the area to boot. Sand already implies soil layers since it is a soil layer. I made a worldgen parameter set like this once but I don't have it anymore. I don't know how to really get certain kinds of climates or rock layer types over a whole map unfortunately. The DF wiki might be able to help.

Damn, 4th possession in a row in this fort. No free legendaries for me it seems.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If you want magma and flux your best bet is to turn up volcanic variance a lot and play with the mesh for volcanism so that there are many areas with high volcanism and also a good number with very low volcanism, but not much in between.

Getting sand is something of a crapshoot. There's not really any way to influence soil types short of tweaking the parameters to get deserts, and you'd best be prepared to deal with aquifer layers as well; they seem to be common in areas with sand.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mighty wrote: »
    My fortress features has a "Narfle the Garthok" pit.

A titan wandered into my map, and the summarily fell into a cage trap. the only one i had.

So i dug a pit, put a bridge over it, and put his cage in there, destroyed or tiled over the stairs and ramps, and released the poor bastard.

Now, if they get caught, i'll toss them in for my viewing pleasure. or when they raid, i raise the bridge and watch them fall in, and get stunned. while the titan rips off their arms.

if i ever get bored of the titan, i plan to release magma into the room. and just drop gobbies into that.

I wonder... if in a cold environment, you could build an ice fortress, carving out blocks of ice for the walls, floors, etc. And every once in a while, you'd put in a block with some creature frozen within.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Mighty wrote: »
    My fortress features has a "Narfle the Garthok" pit.

I wonder... if in a cold environment, you could build an ice fortress, carving out blocks of ice for the walls, floors, etc. And every once in a while, you'd put in a block with some creature frozen within.
    you can make ice fortresses on glaciers, I don't think you can make blocks like the building material with things like creatures frozen in them though. You CAN put a creature in place then flood the tile and freeze it to freeze things into walls, I'm pretty sure.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there any downside to setting "Prepare a Lavish Meal" on repeat?
    Ive got a ton of food supplies and was hoping i could save some space this way. Minced plump helmet roasts with finely minced plump helmet for all!

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    No downside, except you have to be careful that you don't use up all your booze or seeds.

I have a problem: caravan is here, but when I try to move my finished goods bins to the depot, they don't show up on the list of available items. I've gone and hand checked my stockpiles and there are indeed finished goods bins full of stuff, they're not forbidden or anything weird like that, what's going on?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Is there any downside to setting "Prepare a Lavish Meal" on repeat?
    Ive got a ton of food supplies and was hoping i could save some space this way. Minced plump helmet roasts with finely minced plump helmet for all!

Basically, no. Right now, lavish meals are an excellent way to compress your food supply and turn booze into food. Other types of meals just use less food for each "meal unit". Meals are also great for trading, if you have a skilled cook a barrel of good meals can be worth tens of thousands of dimdums.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No downside, except you have to be careful that you don't use up all your booze or seeds.

I have a problem: caravan is here, but when I try to move my finished goods bins to the depot, they don't show up on the list of available items. I've gone and hand checked my stockpiles and there are indeed finished goods bins full of stuff, they're not forbidden or anything weird like that, what's going on?

Maybe there's a ban on exporting [item type in your bins]? I think the list excludes items that would violate mandates by default.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Huh, there is a mandate on the export of amulets. I didn't know that prevented you from moving any container with one of that item in it though.

Yup, turning off culling on mandates fixed it. Thanks!

This is kind of funny because usually I get in trouble for violating export mandates without the damn mandate filter helping at all.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, don't forget to turn of the cooking of seeds and plants in the kitchen under the z menu.

Cooking plants doesn't give you any seeds for some reason.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Oh, don't forget to turn of the cooking of seeds and plants in the kitchen under the z menu.

Cooking plants doesn't give you any seeds for some reason.

Also be sure that your booze of choice is set not to cook if you put meals on repeat.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do you even need cooked meals? As long as I had a decent number of different crops going I never had problems.

Smurph on