As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Thread for Monday, May 4, 2009

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Sometimes I put cracked pepper on my steak instead of just eating it bare. I know the cook made it to be delicious on it's own, but I tend to find it even more delicious with the addition of seasoning.
    heretic

let us burn him and eat his flesh and add some delicious spices mmm

Brolo on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GenericFan wrote: »
    I think the key point here is that people like to play games for fun rather than to learn about how capitalism slowly crushes your dreams

If you don't want to see a movie about horrific loss and pain, don't rent Sophie's Choice. Rent something funny, or an action film or a chick flick. But making your own version of Sophie's Choice where she doesn't choose and both kids live and her life plays out nicely is retarded. You don't know better than the filmmaker. Rent a different goddamn movie.

Defender on
    edited May 2009
    Sometimes I put cracked pepper on my steak instead of just eating it bare. I know the cook made it to be delicious on it's own, but I tend to find it even more delicious with the addition of seasoning.

Even better is if the steak arrives and you don't even taste it, you just pour on the salt and pepper right away.

Defender on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    No one's saying that it makes the game "better." They're saying that it makes it more fun for them personally and presumably for the people they play with. If I thought my food tasted better after a good toilet soak then I'd eat my meals in the bathroom. When we are dealing with a thing that a person spends their leisure time on, it's only sensible that they're going to do everything they can to optimize the amount of enjoyment they get out of the activity. And in the specific case of me and Monopoly, that means giving people money when they hit Free Parking.

I think you and Wiggin both said that, and I know that you said that you actually "know better" than the original game designer:
    If I have more fun playing with my house rules than with the standard rules than I would say that I know better than the game maker yes.

When he's playing with his friends, of course he does. How could the creator know better if he's never even met them?

Javen on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Defender has basically become a more eloquent, verbose version of runcubed

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No one's saying that it makes the game "better." They're saying that it makes it more fun for them personally and presumably for the people they play with. If I thought my food tasted better after a good toilet soak then I'd eat my meals in the bathroom. When we are dealing with a thing that a person spends their leisure time on, it's only sensible that they're going to do everything they can to optimize the amount of enjoyment they get out of the activity. And in the specific case of me and Monopoly, that means giving people money when they hit Free Parking.

I think you and Wiggin both said that, and I know that you said that you actually "know better" than the original game designer:
    If I have more fun playing with my house rules than with the standard rules than I would say that I know better than the game maker yes.

Yes we know when we are having fun.

This seems to me to be a good way of being able to tell whether or not we know better.

But no, going by this weeks Defender opinion he is actually saying Assassin's creed is actually a good game and he isn't smart enough to enjoy it. Because you know, they designed the game, it can't have [any flaws in it at all!

Blake T on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

I would argue that I know better than anyone else in the entire world about what I like and what I find entertaining. I am, in fact, an expert on the subject of me.

Speed Racer on
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

This seems to me to be a good way of being able to tell whether or not we know better.

But no, going by this weeks Defender opinion he is actually saying Assassin's creed is actually a good game and he isn't smart enough to enjoy it. Because you know, they designed the game, it can't have [any flaws in it at all!
    holy shit

Defender's trolling himself

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

No, because Defender's opinions aren't retarded

Just the way he argues the dumbest things

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »

No, because Defender's opinions aren't retarded

Just the way he argues the dumbest things
    no, lately even his opinions are often retarded

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2009

Blake, try not to be such a stupid fuckstick. I know it's hard for you. The key thing that you always, always disregard is that I'm backing up everything I say with informed analysis. If I were not doing that, yeah, I could see you making the argument you're making.

Also, whether or not you personally are having fun is of absolutely zero value to anyone except you. And you actually don't even know if playing the game the intended way could, over time, reveal insights to you that weren't obvious or could actually be even more fun. Of course, that was clearly spelled out by my "no gold/lumber/food limit" Warcraft 3 example, but I guess you missed that too because you are incapable of understanding rational thought.

Defender on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am pretty sure that in the last 8 or so months he has managed to turn into a parody of himself.

Blake T on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Even better is if the steak arrives and you don't even taste it, you just pour on the salt and pepper right away.

I tasted the Monopoly steak before adding the Free Parking salt and pepper.

Or... something.

Speed Racer on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    LOUD NOISES.

Metzger Meister on
    edited May 2009
    I am dumping ketchup all over my Monopoly ribeye just to spite Defender

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Defender wrote:
    redhead wrote:
    The other idea is that by instituting this new rule, players are fucking up the game balance. Normally, yes, that would probably be the case. But Monopoly is a crappy game. It is not well-designed or well-balanced.

Wow, that's a massive assertion. I do not agree at all. The game purposely includes feedback loops and has lame-duck endings. Those are generally regarded as "bad things." (I guess this means I don't actually completely disagree!) However, the game includes those things for a special reason: It intends to portray the crushing power of unregulated capitalism that later showed up with companies like Standard Oil. Showing that players are powerless to fight the big capitalist leaders of society via these feedback loops was entirely necessary and was, in fact, the point of the game. This game traded in a little bit of "fun" in order to make a point. A lot of movies have sad endings, you know, when they could just be "happily ever after." These movies are making the audience feel sad, but it's very much done on purpose, it's not because the stupid writer/director couldn't find a way to make everything turn out OK.
    redhead wrote: »
    So basically: One, I think you're wrong about the effects of the free parking rule. But two, it doesn't matter because Monopoly is a crappy game and there's no real balance to fuck up in the first place.

I snipped that last bit because the things I've already written address why I disagree with your assessment of Monopoly. I think that you basically looked at one element of the game, saw a few warning signs of design flaws, and concluded that these things were actually flaws and not deliberate attempts to make a social statement. I disagree. The game is balanced, but it's balanced purposely to show a flaw in the balance of a real-world economic system.

I'm also snipping most of this because otherwise it will quickly become way too huge. The only thing I'd like to say about the part I cut out is that the free parking money isn't necessarily redundant just because the mechanic already exists in the game without it, any more than the free community chest money is redundant because you already get money from passing Go. The fact that there's a way or two to get free money doesn't mean there's enough of a way.

But more importantly, it looks like your main defense of Monopoly is that what it sacrifices in fun it makes up for as a social statement. I'm not critiquing Monopoly as a social statement, so when I say it's a crappy game I mean it's a crappy game--that it's not designed to maximize fun. Does portraying the crushing power of companies like Standardized Oil increase the enjoyment of the players? Maybe back when it first came out this was relevant enough to make that true. It's not exactly subtly done, and you can get the idea without even playing one full round of the game, so I don't even know about that. But today? Absolutely not. The very farthest you could get with that is that while Monopoly is still a bad game, it was once a relevant social statement. But even if it were the greatest social statement in the world, that wouldn't make it a good game. Looking at it purely in terms of whether the mechanics are put in place to maximize fun: no, it's not good.

The movie thing doesn't work because a sad ending isn't equivalent to an un-fun game. People go to the movies for a high-quality aesthetic experience, whether that involves a sad ending or a happy one. A sad ending can be a part of a very beautiful movie and isn't a sacrifice at all. When it is a sacrifice--when it seems like the movie ended the way it did because the director wanted to "make a point" rather than because that ending is a natural consequence of the story thus far--we don't think "oh, okay, that's cool." That's actually really annoying, and the movie gets dinged for shoehorning its point in at the expense of story or believability. By this point we're a little far from Monopoly, but I felt the need to point out that that wasn't a very good analogy.

redhead on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Seriously, the New Comic thread has become a painful place to be.

Brolo on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    well in one hour and about 12 minutes it will be all better

unless of course defender is still online.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited May 2009

Blake, try not to be such a stupid fuckstick. I know it's hard for you. The key thing that you always, always disregard is that I'm backing up everything I say with informed analysis. If I were not doing that, yeah, I could see you making the argument you're making.

Also, whether or not you personally are having fun is of absolutely zero value to anyone except you. And you actually don't even know if playing the game the intended way could, over time, reveal insights to you that weren't obvious or could actually be even more fun. Of course, that was clearly spelled out by my "no gold/lumber/food limit" Warcraft 3 example, but I guess you missed that too because you are incapable of understanding rational thought.

Awww I touched a nerve.

The fact of the matter is an overwhelming number of people play it that way! Are we all wrong?

And in regards to your warcraft 3 arguement I need to ask if warcraft 3 was so perfectly made then why was it balanced patched?

multiple times

Could it be that it wasn't fun in it's current state?

Blake T on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Defender, you are a moron.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    defender is not, in fact, a moron.

redhead on
    edited May 2009
    I would argue that I know better than anyone else in the entire world about what I like and what I find entertaining. I am, in fact, an expert on the subject of me.

The question was on the subject of game design.

And even if it's not, you're still almost certainly wrong. People love to think that they know what they want in every field, and they understand themselves better than anyone else. This is incorrect. People are not 100% self-aware and self-understanding.

Think of the best movie you've ever seen or the best video game you've ever played or the best joke you've ever heard. Do you honestly think that you could come up with a better one on your own? Of course you couldn't. You're not an expert in any of those fields! So the thing that was made for the general public by an expert is actually better than what you can come up with just for yourself. It's ridiculous to pretend that you know what's best for yourself in all cases.

Defender on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey look guys. Look.

People like different things and sometimes it is more fun to do something differently.

I just saved all of us the horrors of continuing this. Aren't I grand.

/edit/ Mother FUCKER. Really? In the 15 seconds it took me to type that? Fuck me that is astounding.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited May 2009
    Awww I touched a nerve.

The fact of the matter is an overwhelming number of people play it that way! Are we all wrong?

And in regards to your warcraft 3 arguement I need to ask if warcraft 3 was so perfectly made then why was it balanced patched?

multiple times

Yes, you touched a nerve by being a moron and making dumb arguments. Good job.

Blake, do you live in some alternate universe where I said that all games are automatically perfect in their initial versions because everyone who creates a game is all-knowing? I never said that WC3 was perfectly made. What I said (or at least implied) is that Blizzard generally knows design better than the low-level players who think that removing all the restrictions will make the game better. This doesn't mean that Blizzard (or their customers) will never uncover a flaw in any Blizzard game.

Defender on
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

And even if it's not, you're still almost certainly wrong. People love to think that they know what they want in every field, and they understand themselves better than anyone else. This is incorrect. People are not 100% self-aware and self-understanding.

Think of the best movie you've ever seen or the best video game you've ever played or the best joke you've ever heard. Do you honestly think that you could come up with a better one on your own? Of course you couldn't. You're not an expert in any of those fields! So the thing that was made for the general public by an expert is actually better than what you can come up with just for yourself. It's ridiculous to pretend that you know what's best for yourself in all cases.

He's talking about knowing what he likes not whether or not he can make something he likes. I like to drive my car this doesn't mean if an engineer asked me to make a list of all the things I would want in my dream car I could. For one, I couldn't explain what kind of geometry for the suspension I would like, but if I were to drive some cars I would be able to rate them in terms of how good I think htey handle, relative to the way I drive.

you don't have to be an expert on something to be an expert on how much you like them.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    I am pretty sure that in the last 8 or so months he has managed to turn into a parody of himself.

What you are actually saying is that the thing I've been doing for five years, and you've been seeing since whenever you started reading this forum, has become clear to you over roughly the last 2/3 of a year.

You ruthless bastard! This means war!

Defender on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Defender, are you having fun right now?

Answer honestly.

It's what the designer of that question wants.

ChicoBlue on
    edited May 2009
    He's talking about knowing what he likes not whether or not he can make something he likes. I like to drive my car this doesn't mean if an engineer asked me to make a list of all the things I would want in my dream car I could. For one, I couldn't explain what kind of geometry for the suspension I would like, but if I were to drive some cars I would be able to rate them in terms of how good I think htey handle, relative to the way I drive.

you don't have to be an expert on something to be an expert on how much you like them.

What he said initially was that he's better at designing games than Parker Brothers because he thinks that his house rule makes Monopoly more fun for him personally.

Defender on
    edited May 2009
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Answer honestly.

I am having a few different types of fun.

One type of fun is leaving it ambiguous whether I am typing with one hand or two, and if one, then which.

Defender on
    edited May 2009

That's not what I meant. Of course I couldn't make a movie or a book or whatever as good as my favorites. I've played Monopoly with and without a Free Parking bonus, and I know better than anyone else which version of the game I find more fun, regardless of which is "better."

I and the people I play Monopoly with find it to be a game mechanic that improves our experience. We don't do just the $500 in the middle, we do $500 plus every penalty fee, like taxes or Chance cards that come up bad. Because of that the Free Parking. So, if the game goes on for a while without anyone hitting Free Parking, there starts to be a massive amount of money there, enough to draw someone back from the edge of defeat, or enough for the second place guy to overtake the first-place guy. I find the tension created by that possible upturning of a player's status to be entertaining. When someone comes just a space or two shy of hitting the jackpot, everyone else at the table cheers. Our experience is unquestionably more fun with moments like this included. It might not be best for everybody, and it might undermine what the game's going for or whatever, but it increases the amount of enjoyment we get and when me and three friends are sitting around a table that's all that matters.

Speed Racer on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One, right and because the left is holding a cup of coffee.

Did I get it?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited May 2009
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Answer honestly.

I am having a few different types of fun.

One type of fun is leaving it ambiguous whether I am typing with one hand or two, and if one, then which.

Unfortunately I just landed on Free Parking and we are playing with a house rule that obligates you to tell us.

Speed Racer on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

What he said initially was that he's better at designing games than Parker Brothers because he thinks that his house rule makes Monopoly more fun for him personally.

No it isn't, though you seemed to interpret it that way.

Javen on
    edited May 2009
    Awww I touched a nerve.

multiple times

Blake, do you live in some alternate universe where I said that all games are automatically perfect in their initial versions because everyone who creates a game is all-knowing? I never said that WC3 was perfectly made. What I said (or at least implied) is that Blizzard generally knows design better than the low-level players who think that removing all the restrictions will make the game better. This doesn't mean that Blizzard (or their customers) will never uncover a flaw in any Blizzard game.

Then maybe the game isn't perfect.

If you have actually read the rules you might notice that it encourages you to do your own thing and make up house rules!

Maybe they do that because they acknowledge the game isn't perfect and can be adjusted.

Blake T on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One, right and because the left is holding a cup of coffee.

Did I get it?

man some coffee sounds good. fuck it, i'm making coffee.

Metzger Meister on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Awww I touched a nerve.

multiple times

Defender, you are adding a whole layer of thought to this that doesn't even exist for most people.

The concept of game imbalance is probably the last thing on anyone's mind when they do this. For most people, it is just a game. If changing the game around a little makes the game more fun, then it's purpose is better served.

And we're not talking about violating some sacred ritual, we are talking board games. To care more about the rules and structure to a T, than about actually enjoying the game, kind of defeats it's purpose.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

What he said initially had no bearing on this point as you said
    Defender wrote:

And even if it's not, you're still almost certainly wrong.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I ordered monopoly pizza

It was supposed to come in at least 5 minutes, but it took 30!

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Awww I touched a nerve.

multiple times

Defender, you are adding a whole layer of thought to this that doesn't even exist for most people.

The concept of game imbalance is probably the last thing on anyone's mind when they do this. For most people, it is just a game. If changing the game around a little makes the game more fun, then it's purpose is better served.

And we're not talking about violating some sacred ritual, we are talking board games. To care more about the rules and structure to a T, than about actually enjoying the game, kind of defeats it's purpose.
    He's basically just saying that adding house rules is the equivalent of going into a museum and marking up the paintings with a sharpie, which isn't a ridiculous statement. I happen to disagree but it's a perfectly valid position.

Speed Racer on
    edited May 2009
    I hate all of you.

Metzger Meister on
This discussion has been closed.