As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good Morning [Chat] Racers

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    le sigh the young american religion thread has already devolved into crap and I was even trying to make a point about the 'new statistics' that we don't have full data for. :|

</meta bitching>

A religion thread that is based on people instead of the arguments themselves will always fail.

A relgion based on arguments instead of people does not and has never existed.

What.

Are you saying that because religion is "based on people" that it's impossible to argue about religion and stick to the arguments without injecting emotion into it?

Sarksus on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm saying that the discussion of circumcision is pointless and eff that thread it may die now.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

It could be worse, we could be talking about the demonizing public opinion of Atheists and the reluctance of the American political system to include any secular persons/etc. That thread could be much, much worse.

There is no law that says you can't be atheist, its just difficult to get elected, but please the persecution complex is almost as cute as the christians whining about the war on christmas.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Isn't arguing like...really big in I think tibetan buddhism?

Inquisitor on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm saying that the discussion of circumcision is pointless and eff that thread it may die now.

That thread is just the tip of the iceberg
    you meant pointless as a pun right

nexuscrawler on
    edited May 2009
    Inquisitor on
    edited May 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

It could be worse, we could be talking about the demonizing public opinion of Atheists and the reluctance of the American political system to include any secular persons/etc. That thread could be much, much worse.

There is no law that says you can't be atheist, its just difficult to get elected, but please the persecution complex is almost as cute as the christians whining about the war on christmas.

That's the only point I was trying to make. That it's difficult to get elected, that you'd likely not see an atheist president for a while. If you're going to get all dick-y, though, then fuck you.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Heh, the two characters I wanted to play as are top and close to top tier in BlazBlue.

I'll still work you over.

I woke up from nap and my house is empty...

Who wants to cyber? :winky:

Arakune and Ragna / Eddie/Faust and Sol.

Not really surprising how well they would be.

Also that Slayer is terra bull

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited May 2009

You're deluded. Atheists compose an extremely small portion of Americans and they are viewed very negatively in this country, more so than other minorities.

I'm looking for an article I read a few months ago which discussed this.

Sarksus on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    le sigh the young american religion thread has already devolved into crap and I was even trying to make a point about the 'new statistics' that we don't have full data for. :|

</meta bitching>

A religion thread that is based on people instead of the arguments themselves will always fail.

A relgion based on arguments instead of people does not and has never existed.

What.

Are you saying that because religion is "based on people" that it's impossible to argue about religion and stick to the arguments without injecting emotion into it?

No, just that it is a human creation. It is of and for people. Even in a religion posessed of a highly organized political structure (which attemps to keep its members within certain defined limits of thought) every member carries around with them their own slightly different Diety.

You cannot talk about God(s) without refering to the reference frame of which persons God(s).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited May 2009

That's the only point I was trying to make. That it's difficult to get elected, that you'd likely not see an atheist president for a while. If you're going to get all dick-y, though, then fuck you.

What does a persons religious beliefs have to do with their political career? I mean we are supposed to have seperation of church and state. I'd say we have a worse chance of ever having a muslim president or any other religion over an atheist one.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2009
    Yeah here's a less awful video.

Slayer is still lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA9443sxUlE&NR=1

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2009

What does a persons religious beliefs have to do with their political career? I mean we are supposed to have seperation of church and state. I'd say we have a worse chance of ever having a muslim president or any other religion over an atheist one.

A whole fuck ton in the the eyes of a lot of voters?

Inquisitor on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, is a new Guilty Gear coming out?

I hope Chipp is good.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited May 2009

You're deluded. Atheists compose an extremely small portion of Americans and they are viewed very negatively in this country, more so than other minorities.

Muslims make up a bigger portion of the populace and are hated a lot more than atheists. Besides how does one know an atheist until they tell you they are one? Being a muslim is a lot harder to hide and a lot worse off to be in modern america, but please again the persectution complex is cute so please for my amusement woe is me away.

And not so much Inq, we are moving away from it, as older voters die off religion will be a lot less of a factor. I mean we recently elected a black man, times change.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What does a persons religious beliefs have to do with their political career?

What crazy world are you living in?

polling report had survey on who would you vote for as president and 'an atheist' was at the VERY bottom of the list underneath, gays, someone over 79, and someone who was divorced 3 times.

Here we go 1998 gallup poll. Percent of people who would vote agasint someone for the following quality:
    Catholic: 4% (1937: 30%)
    Black: 5% (1958: 63%, 1987: 21%)
    Jewish: 6% (1937: 47%)
    Baptist: 6%
    Woman: 8%
    Mormon: 17%
    Muslim: 38%
    Gay: 37% (1978: 74%)
    Atheist: 48%

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited May 2009
    Oh, is a new Guilty Gear coming out?

I hope Chipp is good.

No. I think they lost the rights to the Guilty Gear characters or something.

BlazBlue is coming out soon, it's by the same people and is basically guilty gear in an alternate universe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JVZihwaBOg

Inquisitor on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Back from the new Star Trek! It was fun.

Haphazard on
    edited May 2009
    Hell I'd say Jewish people also don't stand a good chance of being elected president either. A lot of religions in the US are low on the will be elected president totem poll.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah here's a less awful video.

Slayer is still lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA9443sxUlE&NR=1

That's how a SL matchup should go generally.

While PO has bullshit range and priority, the SL has to play keep-away and wait for the guy to fuck up. Then pressure on wake-up.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited May 2009
    Hell I'd say Jewish people also don't stand a good chance of being elected president either. A lot of religions in the US are low on the will be elected president totem poll.

Here we go 1998 gallup poll. Percent of people who would vote agasint someone for the following quality:
    Catholic: 4% (1937: 30%)
    Black: 5% (1958: 63%, 1987: 21%)
    Jewish: 6% (1937: 47%)
    Baptist: 6%
    Woman: 8%
    Mormon: 17%
    Muslim: 38%
    Gay: 37% (1978: 74%)
    Atheist: 48%

CommunistCow on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Slayer is still lame.

Jesus, I saw this out of context and thought I was going to have to beat you over the head with a copy of Decade of Aggression.

Tav on
    edited May 2009

Muslims make up a bigger portion of the populace and are hated a lot more than atheists. Besides how does one know an atheist until they tell you they are one? Being a muslim is a lot harder to hide and a lot worse off to be in modern america, but please again the persectution complex is cute so please for my amusement woe is me away.

And not so much Inq, we are moving away from it, as older voters die off religion will be a lot less of a factor. I mean we recently elected a black man, times change.

I'd be more willing to refrain from blatantly saying you're full of shit if you were capable of arguing your point without being a gigantic asshole.

http://www.law.gmu.edu/assets/homepages/isomin/files/LegalTimes_Atheism.pdf

That's not the article I was referring to but it works fine. I'll find more.

Show me where you get your "facts".

Sarksus on
    edited May 2009
    Man, Smash Bros is way better than that Guilty Gear, eh?

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited May 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    Slayer is still lame.

Jesus, I saw this out of context and thought I was going to have to beat you over the head with a copy of Decade of Aggression.

Oh what is slayer some band you like or something?

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2009

I completely disagree.

That right-wing nutjob who was going on about screwing farm animals in his younger years has a better chance at national office than a publicly admitted atheist.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited May 2009

I'd be more willing to refrain from blatantly saying you're full of shit if you were capable of arguing your point without being a gigantic asshole.

http://www.law.gmu.edu/assets/homepages/isomin/files/LegalTimes_Atheism.pdf

That's not the article I was referring to but it works fine. I'll find more.

Show me where you get your "facts".

He'll need a doctor and a flashlight.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited May 2009
    Slayer is still lame.

Do you really not know Slayer? South of Heaven? God Hates Us All?

Guitar Hero?

Tav on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jesus

is the young religious americans thread the worst we've ever had?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited May 2009
    Podly is the worst

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited May 2009
    jesus

is the young religious americans thread the worst we've ever had?

I don't know but it hurts my brain.

CommunistCow on
    edited May 2009
    Slayer is still lame.

Do you really not know Slayer? South of Heaven? God Hates Us All?

Guitar Hero?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkaU-ZG8_lM&feature=related

Tav on
    edited May 2009
    Nah I really don't know who Slayer is, I'll listen to the youtube though.

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2009

Listen to the edit. It's much higher quality.

Tav on
    edited May 2009

Your deliciously persecuted Atheist tears sustain me. After 9/11 were atheists suffering from hate crimes that continue today? Were atheists lives threatened?

Only reason anyone would even know you are an atheist is if you told someone, because you have no outward display of your religion. Others do and they have to fear openly for it. So please I think Muslims and jews have more to worry about than atheists.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2009

Listen to the edit. It's much higher quality.

Oh thank goodness, yeah the audio quality on that first clip was bleh.

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2009
    And you know, it's not even like I'm whining "Oh God the Christians are oppressing us, our government hates us, we have no representation, abloo abloo". I don't lose any sleep over the fact that a lot of Americans view atheism negatively but nonetheless that is the case.

I have no persecution complex, I am merely relating the facts.

Sarksus on
    edited May 2009
    And you know, it's not even like I'm whining "Oh God the Christians are oppressing us, our government hates us, we have no representation, abloo abloo". I don't lose any sleep over the fact that a lot of Americans view atheism negatively but nonetheless that is the case.

I have no persecution complex, I am merely relating the facts.

Indeed, you cry yourself to sleep at night for a whole host of other reasons.

Inquisitor on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Your deliciously persecuted Atheist tears sustain me. After 9/11 were atheists suffering from hate crimes that continue today? Were atheists lives threatened?

Only reason anyone would even know you are an atheist is if you told someone, because you have no outward display of your religion. Others do and they have to fear openly for it. So please I think Muslims and jews have more to worry about than atheists.

And people wearing Bad Religion shirts, don't forget them.

Haphazard on
    edited May 2009
    Tav: While not really my particular thing, I think they do a good job of making that kind of music.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.