As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good Morning [Chat] Racers

• JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    And you know, it's not even like I'm whining "Oh God the Christians are oppressing us, our government hates us, we have no representation, abloo abloo". I don't lose any sleep over the fact that a lot of Americans view atheism negatively but nonetheless that is the case.

I have no persecution complex, I am merely relating the facts.

That's not what you said when I oppressed you last night! :winky:

James on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AR, MA, MD, NC, PA, SC, TN and TX all have language in their state constitutions or other state documents that establish that in order to be elected to public office a person needs to take oath of office and swear to God, though I suppose non-theists who don't give a shit about that could still hold office. But I suppose these states just believe that Buddhists, Atheists, Agnostics, Unitarian Universalists, New Agers and people from the Church of Satan are all second-class citizens.
    Arkansas Constitution, Article 19 Section 1 of the 1874 constitution:
    "No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court."

North Carolina's Constitution, Article 6 Sec. 8:
    "Disqualifications of office. The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God...."

Pennsylvania a Declaration of Rights: Article 1, Section 4:
    "No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth."

South Carolina's Constitution, Article 4 Section 2:
    "Person denying existence of Supreme Being not to hold office. No person who denies the existence of the Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."

Tennessee's Bill of Rights: Article 9: Section 4: "That no political or religious test, other than an oath to support the Constitution of the United States and of this state, shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under this state."
    Section 2. "No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."

Texas' Bill of Rights Section 4:
    "RELIGIOUS TESTS: No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."

etc.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    And you know, it's not even like I'm whining "Oh God the Christians are oppressing us, our government hates us, we have no representation, abloo abloo". I don't lose any sleep over the fact that a lot of Americans view atheism negatively but nonetheless that is the case.

I have no persecution complex, I am merely relating the facts.

Nah-uh jesus preaches tolerance and thus that must be the case with his followers!

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Damn. Everything except for the computer case I ordered is being shipped from California. That's gonna take awhile.

Sarksus on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Quizzy: what is BlazBlue?

And are we doing this Wesnoth thing or what?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    jesus

is the young religious americans thread the worst we've ever had?

There are a number of interesting topics skirting round the edges of that thread. But yeah not worth posting in.

I have been somewhat interested lately in how very Gnostic a lot of modern American Christians are. Especially those churces that grew out of the revival movements of the early 20th century.

A lot of the most hard core Christians today if you plunked them down in the 2nd or 3d century would have way, way more to do with the various sects labeled "Gnostics" (and heavily persecuted as such by other Christians) than not.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Elldren wrote: »

BlazBlue is the new Guilty Gear, basically.

I just finished installing Wesnoth.

Did you just want to hop right into multiplayer or did you want to get some SP experience under your belt? I haven't played the game in a year or so, myself.

Inquisitor on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Tav: While not really my particular thing, I think they do a good job of making that kind of music.

I'm genuinely surprised you'd never heard it before. It's one of those metal songs that everyone knows, like Master of Puppets or The Trooper. I'm even more surprised you'd never heard of Slayer. They're literally one of the biggest metal bands ever.

Tav on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well here's something we can all agree on, fucking AIG is screwing us.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/22134

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's almost like a punch of religious followers founded a nation somewhere.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    preacher did you read the polls that were posted twice?

athiests are still the most hated (or I guess most distrusted) group in the United States - even more so than homosexuals. Do you realize how much you have to be hated to be hated more than gays in the united states?

Casual Eddy on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That thread is worth it if only for reminding me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLzDYXVtePE

Leitner on
    edited May 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    Tav: While not really my particular thing, I think they do a good job of making that kind of music.

I'm genuinely surprised you'd never heard it before. It's one of those metal songs that everyone knows, like Master of Puppets or The Trooper. I'm even more surprised you'd never heard of Slayer. They're literally one of the biggest metal bands ever.

I've heard Master of Puppets, I don't think I've heard The Trooper.

I hardly payed any attention to music from the ages of like...1 through 18?

Inquisitor on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I really don't see a lot of difference in behavior between atheists and the religious; both have a tendency to be smug and superior and to prescribe their belief system (or lack thereof) to everybody else.

Agnostics are superior to all of you!
    ;-)

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited May 2009
    Eddy, I want you to know, I read all of Erfworld, just for you.

And now I just finished downloading a hex based turn based fantasy strategy game. :P

Inquisitor on
  • StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think we should merge the young people in America becoming less religious thread with Podly's thread and watch him cry.

Starcross on
    edited May 2009

athiests are still the most hated (or I guess most distrusted) group in the United States - even more so than homosexuals. Do you realize how much you have to be hated to be hated more than gays in the united states?

In 1998 eddy, and again thats when they know you're an atheist. I'm not going to keep this up because I hate when this crap polutes chat. But people can spot gay people better than they can atheists.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    That thread is worth it if only for reminding me of Bowie

heh, I started humming it right away.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited May 2009

BlazBlue is the new Guilty Gear, basically.

I just finished installing Wesnoth.

Did you just want to hop right into multiplayer or did you want to get some SP experience under your belt? I haven't played the game in a year or so, myself.

I just finished the tutorial.

We should be on a level.

Also: Guilty Gear <3 I sent so much money playing that when I worked in the mall, and arcades existed.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I really don't see a lot of difference in behavior between atheists and the religious; both have a tendency to be smug and superior and to prescribe their belief system (or lack thereof) to everybody else.

Agnostics are superior to all of you!
    ;)

Actually they're the worst of all.

Choose a side you fucks - this is an either/or question.

;p

Leitner on
    edited May 2009
    I just finished the tutorial.

We should be on a level.

Also: Guilty Gear <3 I sent so much money playing that when I worked in the mall, and arcades existed.

Lemme just run through the tutorial real fast so I can get the controls down.

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2009
    Are gay atheists gaytheists?

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited May 2009
    Tav wrote: »

I've heard Master of Puppets, I don't think I've heard The Trooper.

I hardly payed any attention to music from the ages of like...1 through 18?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=354MU3l-25M

dude

dude

Tav on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Proto wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    That thread is worth it if only for reminding me of Bowie

heh, I started humming it right away.

Cute. I will still be humming it tomorrow afternoon and that bothers me.

Haphazard on
    edited May 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

In 1998 eddy, and again thats when they know you're an atheist. I'm not going to keep this up because I hate when this crap polutes chat. But people can spot gay people better than they can atheists.

which is a similar argument used against homosexuals... that we are somehow 'better off' because we can disguise our minority status

which is the biggest load of bullshit when applied to gays, and also when applied to atheists.

Casual Eddy on
    edited May 2009
    My article was from 2006.

Sarksus on
    edited May 2009
    Eddy, I want you to know, I read all of Erfworld, just for you.

And now I just finished downloading a hex based turn based fantasy strategy game. :P

wesnoth?

and what did you think of it as a whole?

also <3<3<3

Casual Eddy on
    edited May 2009
    http://www.laweekly.com/slideshow/view/8377316/13

Pretty god damn morbid, aren't those the pills she od'd on?

Eddy no one is asking atheists to hide themselves, but how would someone know your an atheist other than you randomly blurting it out? I mean honestly I work with people I've known for going on 8 years, I have no idea what religions they subscribe to, nor do I care.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2009
    What about me Inquisitor :cry:

Sarksus on
    edited May 2009
    I feel it necessary to mention Van Halen - Right Now because BU NU NU NU NU BA NA NA NA NA NU NU BA NA NA NA NA NU NU BA NA BU NU

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    meh

gnosticism

mystical platonism trying to justify orgies, if you ask me

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited May 2009
    Hm. I thought the rates were relatively static. I wonder if Dawkins has the right idea about messaging methodology.

Also, re: all these people in need of a religion: science!

This sums up nicely what I dislike about current "movement" atheism.

Hint: science: not a religion.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited May 2009

wesnoth?

and what did you think of it as a whole?

also <3<3<3

Yah wesnoth.

I'll be honest, it was pretty whatever, just not my cup of tea.

Sarksus: Do you have it DLed too?

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2009
    Okay, I think I remember the controls.

Inquisitor on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly knows all about justifying orgies

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited May 2009
    meh

gnosticism

Everyones all "Woo orgies" until you are pissing liquid fire the next day.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2009
    I know a guy who keeps bringing up religious conversations just so he can say "Well, being agnostic is the only belief which makes sense because we'll never really know" to which I reply "No one gives a flying fuck who or what you do or do not believe in, you smug cunt".

It's really the only way of dealing with the situation.

Tav on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The more I read about Dawkins, the more I detest him. Pretty much every argument of his that I read is so unsophisticated and base.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    meh

gnosticism

Oy, that sounds interesting. Tell me more!

Haphazard on
  • Delicious Toad!Delicious Toad! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Isn't Wesnoth turn-based? Is it awkward playing online multiplayer? I did the first few missions, lost interest

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
This discussion has been closed.