As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Klonoa remake for the Wii - Out now! (And only $30, too.)

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I bet the Japanese cover for that is awesome.

Comparison:
    Klonoa_Wii_Front.jpg135420e_1_2.jpg

:P

god Japan always gets the good covers

Someone needs to 'shop the old 'Kirby Angry Eyes' on to the jolly blue blob on the American version.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sadly, I won't be able to experience this game.

Got a good offer on my Wii and will be selling it this week.

I'm sure you can pick up a Wii in a few years and then have a huge stack of backlogged games to enjoy.

urahonky on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    shit, this is awesome, LOVED the shit out of the PSone version. So good, the last boss had my furious due to dying over and over for a good hour. The amazing ending made it all worth it. Tear Jerker

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just finished the original. It's still awesome after all these years.

I can't wait to see a lot of the levels with new graphics. "The Stopped Gear" and the last two levels are probably the ones I'm looking forward to seeing the most.

urahonky wrote: »

I'm sure you can pick up a Wii in a few years and then have a huge stack of backlogged games to enjoy.

Hopefully it will still be easy to find in a few years if you ever decide to pick up another Wii.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    this is awesome, the klonoa series is really good. i think my nieces are going to explode with joy when they play this game. sadly i dont have a wii, so my copy of klonoa 2 will have to get me through. no way im dropping the $ ebay wants for the first one.

Ah_Pook on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    yeah I only have the second but it's great

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
    edited April 2009
    http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74047

GameStop has the game for $30 instead of the regular $40. I'm glad I waited to pre-order.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Amazon has dropped the price to $30 as well, which is good news for the people who don't have a GameStop near them/don't like dealing with them etc.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PBDBNQ/ref=s9_sims_c2_s1_p63_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=10C268YDG0TDGA2EZHWT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    edited April 2009
    Wow.. I wonder if $30 is the new MSRP for it. I'm starting to worry that people might mistake it for a budget title, though.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well snappity snap, I guess this goes from "Probably a day one purchase" to "definitely a day one purchase".

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow.. I wonder if $30 is the new MSRP for it. I'm starting to worry that people might mistake it for a budget title, though.

No one's gonna buy it anyways. :P

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2009
    Namco has an English website up for the game now, but it's not really worth linking. The "experience" trailer that they have up reminds me a little too much of the NiGHTS 2 trailer. D:

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Sorry for the necro post, but it appears that some places are releasing this game early because i was able to pick up my copy at gamestop this morning.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I"ll be getting this, just not immediately.

slash000 on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's out already over there?
    Damn you lot.
    Guess it makes up for LKS, though.

Xagarath on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I haven't played Klanoa since the PS1. I'd definitely check this out if I had a wii.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited May 2009
    I haven't played very much at all but the "Phantomile" option for language settings changes the sound effects as well as the voices and if the title screen is proper indication that is a very good thing.

Blue map on
    edited May 2009
    I'm still waiting on mine to come in the mail. Does the Phantomile option even change Klonoa's new deep voice back to his original PS1 voice?

Also, is it true that the game comes with a coupon for a free taco from Wahoo's Fish Tacos?

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, it's true.

Why, I have no idea.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited May 2009
    The only reason I can think of is because Klonoa says "Wahoo!" when he double jumps. That doesn't make it any less strange, though.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm still waiting on mine to come in the mail. Does the Phantomile option even change Klonoa's new deep voice back to his original PS1 voice?

It changes it back to the original gibberish, yeah. Which is a godsend, since Klonoa is viced by the same guy who does Chip from Sonic Unleashed in the dub.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Glenn565 wrote: »
    Klonoa is viced by the same guy who does Chip from Sonic Unleashed in the dub.
    D:

shyguy on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Someone didn't murder that asshole in the recording studio during Sonic Unleashed's development?

Strange.

SOOONIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC

UnbreakableVow on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just finished the original. It's still awesome after all these years.

I can't wait to see a lot of the levels with new graphics. "The Stopped Gear" and the last two levels are probably the ones I'm looking forward to seeing the most.

urahonky wrote: »

Hopefully it will still be easy to find in a few years if you ever decide to pick up another Wii.

I would be hilarious if, in the future, Wiis will become hard to find because, due to their small size, people easily misplace them.

Krathoon on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I should probably get around to finishing the sequel. I enjoyed it, but I stopped about halfway 'cause I got tired of the game stopping so often for story (for similar reasons, I never finished the Wii Nights).

I enjoyed the first game, but I'm not entirely sold on a remake. From the sound of it, it's mostly visual changes and not much in the way of new gameplay so I'll probably wait and pick it up a used copy down the road.

RainbowDespair on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Giant Bomb did a Quick Look video of Klonoa, and it looks pretty good.

I never really got into the series myself, but my girlfriend loves it. I bought her the original Door to Phantomile for the PS1 for way too much as a birthday present once.

SteevL on
    edited May 2009
    Does anyone know if they made any drastic changes to the any of the levels? Because
    i seem to distinctly remember having to freeze some of the lava geysers in level 5-1
    Or is my memory just playing tricks on me?

Blue map on
    edited May 2009
    Blue map wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they made any drastic changes to the any of the levels? Because
    i seem to distinctly remember having to freeze some of the lava geysers in level 5-1
    Or is my memory just playing tricks on me?

I replayed the original recently, but I don't remember anything like that.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A+ glowing review at 1up from James Mielke.

SteevL on
    edited May 2009
    This is going to be a platformer-tastic weekend between Klonoa & DKJB.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I saw this at gamestop the other day but I went for the sole purpose of getting Gears of War 2 to play with an old roommate from college over live. Then my wife convinced me to get her the original pikmin, not the new control one cause she tried the new controls in store and didn't like them.

I will grab this before it becomes extinct, because I have played and loved every Klonoa game. The GBA one was awesome.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited May 2009
    I saw this at gamestop the other day but I went for the sole purpose of getting Gears of War 2 to play with an old roommate from college over live. Then my wife convinced me to get her the original pikmin, not the new control one cause she tried the new controls in store and didn't like them.

I will grab this before it becomes extinct, because I have played and loved every Klonoa game. The GBA one was awesome.

Which GBA one? There were two you know. (Well, in the US, there were many more across the ocean.) (I still need to pick up the second one myself)

And I picked up Pikmin last Friday. The new controls make the game alot better than the original release, which is difficult because the game was already pretty excellent.

But they added so many little things outside of the controls (Being about to start on any day of your save file being the best) that make it worth picking up.

I almost got Chibi Robo when GS had their B2G1F sale, but I'm gonna wait for the Wii release simply for the 16:9 support.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited May 2009
    Alright so only after waiting ten years was i finally able to beat it, and guys that ending? I mean seriously now...
    Yeah that ending was a downer ending if ever there was one
    and i may or may not have shed a single manly tear...

Also does anyone here know how to unlock the puzzle levels? I would assume that you need to
    get 150 or more dream stones in all visions, with the possible exception of the extra vision.

Blue map on
  • Powell014Powell014 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Picked this up on the way home last night and played for about an hour and a half and am really enjoying it. Haven't played a Klonoa game since Klonoa 2 the day i bought my PS2. Had to turn those voices off though that blue things voice was so annoying.

Does anyone know what the graphic filter option is?

Powell014 on
    edited May 2009
    I'm gonna pick up DKJB so I can get my early intend to buy points from Nintendo, but I'm $20 away from a $10 gift card from Best Buy's Reward Zone doohickey so that card is going towards Klonoa.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also does anyone here know how to unlock the puzzle levels? I would assume that you need to
    get 150 or more dream stones in all visions, with the possible exception of the extra vision.
    In the original you just needed to collect all the pictures, whatever they were called.

Glal on
    edited May 2009
    Powell014 wrote: »
    Picked this up on the way home last night and played for about an hour and a half and am really enjoying it. Haven't played a Klonoa game since Klonoa 2 the day i bought my PS2. Had to turn those voices off though that blue things voice was so annoying.

Does anyone know what the graphic filter option is?

This is the description given in the manual.

"A graphic filter can be turned on to increase the sharpness of the picture quality. This feature only works with component connections. Defaults to off."

Edit in response to the above:
    Are you referring to Balue's Tower? Because i was under the impression that they added new bonus stages exclusively for the remake.

Blue map on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, given I own the original, what else does this change besides graphics?
    Might decide whether I buy it day one or cheap when the UK eventually gets it.

Xagarath on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are you referring to Balue's Tower? Because i was under the impression that they added new bonus stages exclusively for the remake.
    Oh, did they? I thought they just added the mirror version of the original levels.

Glal on
    edited May 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Oh, did they? I thought they just added the mirror version of the original levels.

They added mirror versions of most of the levels, but i thought they were also adding in new puzzle levels in addition to those ala Bionic commando rearmed. Mainly do to this article: http://kotaku.com/5236365/klonoa-wii+make-challenge-preview-yep-its-challenging (yes it's kotaku, but still...) and the fact that the back of the box makes specific reference to "exclusive bonus stages" in addition to "14 adventure filled levels".

Edit: I'm still trying to figure out if there actually are any new challenge levels, ill post if i manage to find anything in game.

Blue map on