As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Morning [Chat] Racers

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    I know a guy who keeps bringing up religious conversations just so he can say "Well, being agnostic is the only belief which makes sense because we'll never really know" to which I reply "No one gives a flying fuck who or what you do or do not believe in, you smug cunt".

It's really the only way of dealing with the situation.

We can never really

know

anything.

/slipperyslope

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    The more I read about Dawkins, the more I detest him. Pretty much every argument of his that I read is so unsophisticated and base.

Basically. He is an atheist Falwell.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    http://www.laweekly.com/slideshow/view/8377316/13

Pretty god damn morbid, aren't those the pills she od'd on?

Eddy no one is asking atheists to hide themselves, but how would someone know your an atheist other than you randomly blurting it out? I mean honestly I work with people I've known for going on 8 years, I have no idea what religions they subscribe to, nor do I care.

so you don't see a problem with a huge number of people automatically dismissing someone because of their religious views? It's still discrimination.

Your anecdotal evidence is also, well, anecdotal. As that poll shows, there is a strong feeling in the united states that atheists are immoral and do not share the same values as someone with religion.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2009/05/05/walmart-baby-halket-123.html

Cases like these "Oh my god I didn't know I had a baby inside me," are why I make sure to sock my wife in the stomach every couple days.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay, I made a game on the main server.

It's Inquisitor's Game Private, password is of course wang.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know a guy who keeps bringing up religious conversations just so he can say "Well, being agnostic is the only belief which makes sense because we'll never really know" to which I reply "No one gives a flying fuck who or what you do or do not believe in, you smug cunt".

Which is why I was joking

I really don't care what anybody believes, I just wish everyone would stop being so god damn pushy about it.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly knows all about justifying orgies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Alexander_VI

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2009

We can never really

know

anything.

/slipperyslope

Solipsism!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    meh

gnosticism

mystical platonism trying to justify orgies, if you ask me

Yeah, that was one of the things that catholics (a label that is spread over 1700 years of history is bound to be a bad one but typing out "the groups that would eventually become Roman Catholic" every time is a pain) tried to slander some Gnostics with.

Really what differentiated Gnostics from their fellows was they felt that somone could have a geniune religious experience without the intercession of a clergyman and that you could receive genuine religious wisdom through prayer and inward reflection (as opposed to soley via the sermons of a priest or other official).

Edit: There were many different kinds of Gnostics but if you boil it down it is a central authority vs. personal revelation problem.

You take a "born again" preacher and plop him down in post-Constantine Rome and the "true" Christians would nail that sucker up as a heretic.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    The more I read about Dawkins, the more I detest him. Pretty much every argument of his that I read is so unsophisticated and base.

:|

What a ridiculous comparison.

Leitner on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haphazard wrote: »
    meh

gnosticism

Oy, that sounds interesting. Tell me more!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It must suck to be a homosexual atheist who grew up in an Islamic culture. You'd be pretty much universally hated!

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I download wesnoth from time to time then delete it when i get tired of the absurdly difficult campaigns that are also extremely buggy

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dawkins' fanclub is even more annoying than he is, in my experience. See: Smug and pushy

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited May 2009

so you don't see a problem with a huge number of people automatically dismissing someone because of their religious views? It's still discrimination.

Your anecdotal evidence is also, well, anecdotal. As that poll shows, there is a strong feeling in the united states that atheists are immoral and do not share the same values as someone with religion.

We all have prejudices Eddy, as long as I don't act on them its just that a prejudice. Personally I avoid most minorities late at night because I got robbed once, I'm not proud of it, but I'll admit I'm prejudiced. On the flip side, the vitriol I've seen from atheists directed towards theists probably doesn't help the situation.

"They hate me so I hate them back." Works both ways I guess.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OremLK wrote: »

I really don't care what anybody believes, I just wish everyone would stop being so god damn pushy about it.

I view pushy agnostics as being as irritating as people saying "Man, all political parties are as bad as each other. I'm an independent, I don't buy into that shit".

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

:|

What a ridiculous comparison.

I don't see it to be terribly ridiculous. No he doesn't do half the hating people Falwell does but he is essentially the atheist equivalent of a televangelist.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    my car has an upgraded ECU which makes it significantly faster

when it comes time to sell, do I:

a) leave the ECU upgraded without telling the buyer
    b) leave the ECU upgraded and inform the buyer
    c) roll back the upgrades to stock

a) and b) make for a better test drive, a) and c) probably make for a better sale because the buyer doesn't get the impression it was raced (which it hasn't been), b) and c) are most honest

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    James wrote: »
    It must suck to be a homosexual atheist who grew up in an Islamic culture. You'd be pretty much universally hated!

homosexual atheist woman

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2009

We all have prejudices Eddy, as long as I don't act on them its just that a prejudice. Personally I avoid most minorities late at night because I got robbed once, I'm not proud of it, but I'll admit I'm prejudiced. On the flip side, the vitriol I've seen from atheists directed towards theists probably doesn't help the situation.

"They hate me so I hate them back." Works both ways I guess.

It's what you call a vicious cycle

People here are heavily into the whole "condemnation" thing. It doesn't really help matters to dismiss somebody as an idiotic shithead and crawl into your shell, even if they are an idiotic shithead.

OremLK on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly knows all about justifying orgies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Alexander_VI

I wonder how that might have happened.

"Sir, you can't..."
    "Says who?"
    "Nevermind, Sir."

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Starcross wrote: »

I view pushy agnostics as being as irritating as people saying "Man, all political parties are as bad as each other. I'm an independent, I don't buy into that shit".

Nah the dumber political opinion is the one Carlin shit out with "Just don't vote that way you aren't responsible for putting the people/laws/whatever in place." Carlin had some good ideas, that one was pretty fucking retarded.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    meh

gnosticism

Dr. Elaine Pagels is something of an expert on the subject. And it is a very recent subject. There was a huge find of Gnostic texts at Nag Hammadi in 1945 (of course it took a number of decades to translate and preserve them).

Previously if you wanted to study Gnostics you basicially had to "read between the lines" of the rantings of Catholics who were condeming them as heretics.

Edit: Again, I'm talking about "Catholics" from something like 1500 years ago. So don't take it personally if you are one today.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm Ignostic, which is just an excuse to be a dick about everything.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Starcross wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »

How about, "some political parties are better than others, but none of them are worthy of identifying yourself with"? I have a strong distaste for ideological molds and the fitting of oneself into them. It is an impulse that is understandable but is not conducive to open-mindedness or rationality.

OremLK on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    meh

gnosticism

Dr. Elaine Pagels is something of an expert on the subject. And it is a very recent subject. There was a huge find of Gnostic texts at Nag Hammadi in 1945 (of course it took a number of decades to translate and preserve them).

Previously if you wanted to study Gnostics you basicially had to "read between the lines" of the rantings of Catholics who were condeming them as heretics.

Edit: Again, I'm talking about "Catholics" from something like 1500 years ago. So don't take it personally if you are one today.

I hear you blabbering, but what about the orgies? :P

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm Catholic. My ID says so.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

a) and b) make for a better test drive, a) and c) probably make for a better sale because the buyer doesn't get the impression it was raced (which it hasn't been), b) and c) are most honest

C if you want to do the work and can resell the ECU. If you are lazy then A.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There is a place for vitriol and smugness, i think, when it comes to atheism. The creationism vs. evolution debate for example... there simply is no place for creationism being taught in public schools in a rational society. There is no debate even.

but yeah... i don't know why anyone would mock someone for going to church or some shit?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't see it to be terribly ridiculous. No he doesn't do half the hating people Falwell does but he is essentially the atheist equivalent of a televangelist.

Well there's the fact that Falwell says some pretty disgusting stuff, especially in regards to homosexuals, whereas at worst Dawkins is 'oh we'd be better off without religion' and considered by many to be smug. He's also a much higher level of intellectual discourse, sure he isn't right up there with the big guys - but what he does is solid and reaches a wide audience. Not everyone can discuss Wittgenstein over a cup of tea. I think that is undeniably a good thing, if all televangelist were arguing their side on his level I'd think it a great improvement.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

homosexual atheist handicapped disfigured (appropriate racial minority) woman

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Delicious Toad!Delicious Toad! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

homosexual atheist handicapped disfigured (appropriate racial minority) transwoman

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Do you really need an excuse? :P

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Do you really need an excuse? :P

Yeah!

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

homosexual atheist handicapped disfigured (appropriate racial minority) transwoman

dang

i thought I got them all in there

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Someone who works at my company has the last name Fagg.

D:

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There is a place for vitriol and smugness, i think, when it comes to atheism. The creationism vs. evolution debate for example... there simply is no place for creationism being taught in public schools in a rational society. There is no debate even.

but yeah... i don't know why anyone would mock someone for going to church or some shit?

Yeah as a christian teaching creationism is fucking retarded, it doesn't even make sense and I don't believe it. But there are people on this very board who have espoused a position of moral and intellectual superiority because they don't believe in god. So when as a religious person atheists are telling you you're stupid and immoral it does tend to give you a negative opinion of them.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

C if you want to do the work and can resell the ECU. If you are lazy then A.

hmm

it's a pretty easy fix, the ECU is actually editable so it's just flashing the stock map back

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Yeah as a christian teaching creationism is fucking retarded, it doesn't even make sense and I don't believe it. But there are people on this very board who have espoused a position of moral and intellectual superiority because they don't believe in god. So when as a religious person atheists are telling you you're stupid and immoral it does tend to give you a negative opinion of them.

It's hypocritical, too, because these are often the same people who decry religion primarily for promoting intolerance and closed-mindedness.

OremLK on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If Dawkins were an atheist televangelist, then he would be separating fools from their money.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I thought Islam was a-okay with trans people? Like they were treated personally as badly as they are in the west, but it was allowed at least in Iran.

Leitner on
This discussion has been closed.