As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good Morning [Chat] Racers

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    my car has an upgraded ECU which makes it significantly faster

when it comes time to sell, do I:

a) leave the ECU upgraded without telling the buyer
    b) leave the ECU upgraded and inform the buyer
    c) roll back the upgrades to stock

a) and b) make for a better test drive, a) and c) probably make for a better sale because the buyer doesn't get the impression it was raced (which it hasn't been), b) and c) are most honest

C if you want to do the work and can resell the ECU. If you are lazy then A.

hmm

it's a pretty easy fix, the ECU is actually editable so it's just flashing the stock map back

Could the updated ECU mean trouble for the new customer? I don't know anything about US vehicle inspection, sorry.

Haphazard on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    I thought Islam was a-okay with trans people? Like they were treated personally as badly as they are in the west, but it was allowed at least in Iran.

Well based on what achmawhateverthefuck says about gay people, I'd figure they'd claim they don't have any transgenders in Iran.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Delicious Toad!Delicious Toad! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I thought Islam was a-okay with trans people? Like they were treated personally as badly as they are in the west, but it was allowed at least in Iran.
    Iran has a fairly unique position on homosexuality and transsexuality. Compulsory sex changes are ... well, they're something. Or you can be executed! Your call.

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah as a christian teaching creationism is fucking retarded, it doesn't even make sense and I don't believe it. But there are people on this very board who have espoused a position of moral and intellectual superiority because they don't believe in god. So when as a religious person atheists are telling you you're stupid and immoral it does tend to give you a negative opinion of them.

It's hypocritical, too, because these are often the same people who decry religion primarily for promoting intolerance and closed-mindedness.

Not believing in God is intellectually superior. That may be uncomfortable for people who believe in god, but it's the way of things.

I accept that I probably believe some wrong things, but in all cases where I hold a belief, I'm willing to argue that it's intellectually superior to its alternatives. Otherwise, why would I hold it?

MrMister on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It could be worse.

You could be French.

EDIT: Not believing in God just means you aren't crazy.

COME ON.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Someone who works at my company has the last name Fagg.

D:

It is too bad his first name is not Gaylord.

James on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Iran has a fairly unique position on homosexuality and transsexuality. Compulsory sex changes are ... well, they're something. Or you can be executed! Your call.

You mean compared to other islamic countries, or in the way they treated the subjects themselves?

Edit: You edited that in just as I hit quote damn it. That's really odd - like they make gay people have sex changes or what?

Leitner on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    After Opening Flogging Molly - Float. I'm reminded exactly how flexible CDs can be.

I hate how "Jewel" cases now don't let you push in the center plastic pin to loosen it's grip.

I have to bend the damn disc out in order to take it out of the case, at least for the first time. Hopefully that doesn't do any damage to the disc.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not everyone can discuss Wittgenstein over a cup of tea.

Honestly if there were one philosopher that one could discuss over a cup of tea, it would be Wittgenstein. :P

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Could the updated ECU mean trouble for the new customer? I don't know anything about US vehicle inspection, sorry.

I... don't think so? It's the part that controls the timing of all the little bits in your engine, how much fuel and oxygen to combust, how much turbo boost to give the car, etc.

I don't believe the ECU is part of any inspection.

skippydumptruck on
    edited May 2009

It's hypocritical, too, because these are often the same people who decry religion primarily for promoting intolerance and closed-mindedness.

Oh believe me the irony is not lost on me. It's why I primarily avoid any religious discussion, I just fucked up today. I blame the questionable beef products I ate.

Leitner Iran executes you I believe if you are gay/transgender.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2009

You mean compared to other islamic countries, or in the way they treated the subjects themselves?
    I don't know about any other Islamic countries, but the very popular tidbit that floats around in conversation is specifically about Iran and specifically about homosexuals facing execution or compulsory sex changes. The situation is dichotomized so strongly, really, that there's no parallels in any worthwhile sense to a statement like "I thought Islam was a-okay with trans people."

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
    edited May 2009

I... don't think so? It's the part that controls the timing of all the little bits in your engine, how much fuel and oxygen to combust, how much turbo boost to give the car, etc.

I don't believe the ECU is part of any inspection.

Yeah, don't move here. :P

Haphazard on
    edited May 2009
    For the record, I also haven't verified the veracity of that statement but I hear it all the time so at the very least it's a popular rumor if not fact. :shrug:

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Well based on what achmawhateverthefuck says about gay people, I'd figure they'd claim they don't have any transgenders in Iran.
    Ahmedinejad, jeebus h mcchrist it's not outlandish

And yeah Iran is pretty fucked up not just because it executes the gays, but because they have the option (as toad mentioned) to change sex

it's weird

fucking weird

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It perplexes me how a person believing they're right, or that their position is the most coherent, or intellectually desirable, is considered a great arrogance and somewhat detestable trait.

I mean, doesn't everyone think they're right, and that their position is most coherent, and most intellectually desirable? If you thought some other position had those virtues, then why wouldn't you believe that other position instead?

It's like, instead of arguing with me about why I'm wrong, the mere fact that I think I'm right disqualifies me from reasonable discussion. That's nonsense.

MrMister on
    edited May 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »

And yeah Iran is pretty fucked up not just because it executes the gays, but because they have the option (as toad mentioned) to change sex

it's weird

fucking weird

I didn't feel like looking it up Hakkes, just like I type out M. Night Schlamalongdingdong when I mean the dude from signs.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »

it's weird

fucking weird

In the States, it's called a Switcheroo and it costs a dollar for the operation, and you can have it done behind the McDonalds in my town.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, the religious thread poison has spread to [chat] too?

Dang.

I'm so useless on this subject.

I poke my head in, go "Hey guys! I'm a religious person but also a moderate and not a pushy douche at all about my religion! We aren't all bad!"

People generally ignore me or go "That's nice" at best and continue knifing each other.

I'm so boring.

Pony on
    edited May 2009

Oh believe me the irony is not lost on me. It's why I primarily avoid any religious discussion, I just fucked up today. I blame the questionable beef products I ate.

Leitner Iran executes you I believe if you are gay/transgender.
    LGBT rights in Iran since the Iranian Revolution of 1979 have come under governmental persecution, with international human rights groups reporting public floggings and executions of lesbian, gay and bisexual individuals. Transsexuality in Iran is legal if accompanied by a sex change operation; however, transsexuals still report societal intolerance.[1] In 2007, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, speaking to Columbia University, said that homosexuality does not exist in Iran, though a spokesperson later stated that his comments were misunderstood.[2] Homosexuality is a crime punishable by death under the country's theocratic Islamic government.[3] Any type of sexual activity outside of a heterosexual marriage is forbidden. Gay men are treated far more harshly under the law than lesbians, and some men undergo sex change operations—which the late Ayatollah Ruholla Khomeini declared permissible in a fatwa—to avoid harsh penalties that include imprisonment and/or execution.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Iran

Hakkekage on
    edited May 2009
    Pony wrote: »

Dang.

I poke my head in, go "Hey guys! I'm a religious person but also a moderate and not a pushy douche at all about my religion! We aren't all bad!"

People generally ignore me or go "That's nice" at best and continue knifing each other.

I'm so boring.

Yeah pony but you like saved a guy, so you've got that going for you.

Ok so I got the execution for gays, but for transgenders they just force you to have the op. Which just seems weird as fuck.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2009
    I don't give a shit what people believe, but I find it necessary to be a jerk about it, anyway. I mean, it is the internet, right?

/picture of people making YMCA with Jesus, etc.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

they check your ECU in Germany? are you sure?

it seems like they'd have to have a lot of equipment on hand because I think different ECUs require different types of cables to read them. as opposed to measuring your emissions, for example, where it doesn't matter what type of exhaust you have.

skippydumptruck on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MrMister wrote: »
    It perplexes me how a person believing they're right, or that their position is the most coherent, or intellectually desirable, is considered a great arrogance and somewhat detestable trait.

I mean, doesn't everyone think they're right, and that their position is most coherent, and most intellectually desirable? If you thought some other position had those virtues, then why wouldn't you believe that other position instead?

It's like, instead of arguing with me about why I'm wrong, the mere fact that I think I'm right disqualifies me from reasonable discussion. That's nonsense.

More that the people who think that are either (a) acting irrationally (by definition, might I add), and/or (b) believe in a certain American sense of humility.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

It's not so much thinking you're right that bothers me (everyone thinks they're right), it's the attitude that everyone else is wrong, not just on an intellectual level but on a moral level and in how they're living their lives. That's where the hypocrisy comes in, for me--when you start prescribing to others how to live their lives and trying to convert them to your (dis)belief while also complaining about how they do the same thing.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited May 2009
    Ok so I got the execution for gays, but for transgenders they just force you to have the op. Which just seems weird as fuck.
    Again, the operation doesn't actually correlate exactly or deal exactly with the notion of transgenderism in the specific case of Iran. It's a completely niche situation that doesn't draw on any real parallels to the larger sphere except "oh shit this is awful."

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love that because I think religious people are wrong about religious matters, I'm "closed-minded."

That's rich.

MikeMan on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Dang.

I'm so boring.

God, I hate religious people. They are worse then children.

Cinders on
    edited May 2009

Dang.

I'm so boring.

Yeah pony but you like saved a guy, so you've got that going for you.

if you're gay you can avoid executions with a sex change

although i can see why, given the two options, a gay man might prefer to die. Iranian law fundamentally misunderstands homosexuality as opposed to transsexuality.

Hakkekage on
    edited May 2009
    I love candy.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited May 2009
    Personally I find ones religious beliefs to be pretty personal and much like your favorite sexual position not really something I need to discuss. Like I said I done fucked up today, it won't happen again.

Well when I think of Iran, I don't really think of "Great place to live an alternative life style." Much like Alabama or Texas.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2009

It's not so much thinking you're right that bothers me (everyone thinks they're right), it's the attitude that everyone else is wrong, not just on an intellectual level but on a moral level and in how they're living their lives. That's where the hypocrisy comes in, for me--when you start prescribing to others how to live their lives and trying to convert them to your (dis)belief while also complaining about how they do the same thing.
    Thinking someone is wrong is not morally condemning them.

MikeMan on
    edited May 2009
    Cinders wrote: »

Dang.

I'm so boring.

:(

Pony on
    edited May 2009
    we get it

each group thinks the other is unfair

both are unfair

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited May 2009

Dang.

I'm so boring.

:lol:

MikeMan on
    edited May 2009

they check your ECU in Germany? are you sure?

it seems like they'd have to have a lot of equipment on hand because I think different ECUs require different types of cables to read them. as opposed to measuring your emissions, for example, where it doesn't matter what type of exhaust you have.

All changes have to be certified by an approved garage or directly by the Technical Inspection Agency.
    They will have the cables, trust me.

Haphazard on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »

Thinking someone is wrong is not morally condemning them.

Note: "not just on an intellectual level but on a moral level and in how they're living their lives".

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited May 2009
    Personally I find ones religious beliefs to be pretty personal and much like your favorite sexual position not really something I need to discuss. Like I said I done fucked up today, it won't happen again.

Well when I think of Iran, I don't really think of "Great place to live an alternative life style." Much like Alabama or Texas.

I hold this view as well!

While I will often mention that I am religious, I pretty much never get into the particulars of my faith and generally avoid even calling it directly by name.

It's the sort of thing that is basically unimportant to nearly any conversation ever and has no positive value.

Plus it's the sort of thing I take really seriously and I am rather guarded about.

Pony on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BadChurch.jpg

Tav on
    edited May 2009

Dang.

I'm so boring.

i guess we need to combine the threads then eh

Hakkekage on
This discussion has been closed.