As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prepare for Descent! (NSF56k, Pusses)

12346»

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, those MP videos are really FAST. I can barely see the enemy before he's blown.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DatguyDatguy Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    The best joystick for Descent 1,2,3 was the sidewinder 3d pro, hands down the best. I played this game till i aquired extreem tendonitus in my wrist. fucking awsome

Datguy on
  • Mickey1Mickey1 Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    Darmak thanks for the complement. MP Anarchy tends to tweak one's membrane. Played Skybox last night had 6 players for about 2 hours. Come get some.

The German Clan VEX posts stats.
    http://www.d3stats.de/index.php

Mickey1 on
  • FerniiFernii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Datguy wrote: »
    The best joystick for Descent 1,2,3 was the sidewinder 3d pro, hands down the best. I played this game till i aquired extreem tendonitus in my wrist. fucking awsome

I still have the one you sold me! worn right the fuck out but i still have it.

Fernii on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, this thread brought out some lurkers, huh? Some insane lurkers (in a good way). Seriously, those videos are awesome and we should all get a game going or something. I only have D1 and D2 however, but I'm sure we can all work something out.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • TigerRaptorFXTigerRaptorFX Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    There's a ton of Descent videos on YouTube. Here's most of them.

http://www.youtube.com/groups_videos?name=Descent

TigerRaptorFX on
    edited May 2009
    And here's one of the shows a couple members of the community made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSCkOmFeAkg

Fernii on
  • DuperDuper Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    OMG Fernii!!!

I don't believe you found one of those. Wow!!!! THAT takes me back. Too bad the 1.5 patch never made it.

Here is a vid that someone made a while back. It's a compilation of Single and multi-player.

Watch the hiDef here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfDTCge_Hwk&fmt=18

You can find a hi res version of that HERE (137 megs) The music is clearer too.

HERE is about all the info you will need for playing on-line.

Duper on
    Have you seen my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator??
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For those that don't know, that's made by the same dude that made the Freespace SCP video, and the Supreme Commander "Angel Supreme" videos.

subedii on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've been playing through both 1 and 2 with some regularity.....but I have to admit, both games feel me with an incredible sense of dread after juts a few moments.

It could be because I'm afraid that I'm going to miss that Smart Missile hidden behind a secret door. Or it could be because getting lost is very possible without Guidbot for help.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's the notion in 2 that, through this next door, there's going to be that motherfucking thiefbot and he's going to lead me on a 5-minute long highspeed chase through an army of piss-offed robots.

God, talk about dreading the next room. Still, awesome game. 3 is pretty fun too, if quite different--I'm playing the Pyromania-mod which adds the old weapons.

Synthesis on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm replaying through Descent 2 and man, that game is such an adrenaline rush even after not playing it for more than a decade. I just got to level 4, was about to face the boss, but detoured to the secret level. After scouting it out a couple times (and failing) I managed to find the Gauss Cannon thats hidden in it. I wasn't able to get the Helix Cannon in level 2 but I'll get another of those eventually, but man, I love the Gauss and can't live without it. Booyah. I haven't died once, and now that I've got the gauss its time to face off with that boss.

And yeah, as Synthesis said, this game has tension in spades. They really knew how to make games back in the 90s. I've died a couple of times but I've always reloaded - I'm not yet at that point in the game where you almost have to die just to get enough shield back to beat a boss or make it through a tough gauntlet of respawners.

Goddamn, what a game.

Edit: I almost wish I was playing on the lowest difficulty, I chose the next rank up after getting annihilated on Hotshot, but even on just the Recruit difficulty its still enough of a challenge to keep me on edge and really, guys, I'm on level four.

I can't even imagine going through another 20 of these.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
    edited May 2009
    I was surprised with how damn hard D1 and 2 are. Damn, those bots really fuck you up like it ain't no thing.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2009
    yeah no kidding about that

they will curbstomp your head, piss on your body, turn you into hamburger and then rape your mother.

Fernii on
    edited May 2009
    I was surprised with how damn hard D1 and 2 are. Damn, those bots really fuck you up like it ain't no thing.

The silver ones are the worst. Homing missiles I can occasionally deal with since they're not that common, but Hit-scan weapons are impossible to avoid.

I have to wonder whether anyone ever legitimately completed Descent on the hardest difficulty.

subedii on
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    D3 was the best game for a long time...

Totally digging that fucker up now.

LightRider on
  • TesticuleseTesticulese Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    subedii wrote: »

The silver ones are the worst. Homing missiles I can occasionally deal with since they're not that common, but Hit-scan weapons are impossible to avoid.

I have to wonder whether anyone ever legitimately completed Descent on the hardest difficulty.

Wonder no more! Personally, I've beat D1 on Insane over 200 times. No cheats. I set goals like fastest run-through: no secrets, no hostages, just blast to the reactor and bail (I remember getting down to 7 hours). Also went through getting every single hostage, every single bot (including bot generators), every single powerup to go for the highest score (I completely forget what that was now, but I remember finishing lvl 27 with over 50 ships left.) I can take most every level without dying once. (exceptions are lvl 26 and 27)

I still go through all the levels a couple times a year. I can still pick out the level, where you are in the level what weapons you should have, and which keys you should have, by a screenshot of a wall. :)

(rofl @ deidle getting owned by his own ridiculous arrogance AGAIN)

Testiculese on
    edited May 2009
    So, is there a way to destroy those generator walls? I forgot most things I knew about these games back then.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2009
    They only trigger 3 times.

Testiculese on
    edited May 2009
    oh. Never knew that. Thanks!

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OP is hilarious, good job :)

Snare on
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's amazing how much more I'm enjoying Descent 3 now that I eliminated the joystick deadzone (-deadzone0 0). Sometimes I scare myself in my ability to adapt to something awkward in a game, but fortunately I took a break to play Freespace and when I came back to D3 everything felt wrong enough to investigate. Actually I was trying to use my MS FFB Pro at first but force feedback didn't work.

Only problem left is a screen brightness issue; when I'm using ATI Tray Tools I have to set and then reset the brightness slider to get it to look right, and if I switch back to the interface it breaks things again.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2009
    Fortunately I play D3 with mouse, Freespace with stick, so I can't get them too confused!

Testiculese on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So Descent has been floating around in my brain since Z put up this most excellent thread. I had a few bucks last night and figured, what the hell and picked up Descent 1 and 2 off of GOG.com for the measly six bucks. So far I've been playing without any source ports and I really don't see myself bothering. Everything is just fine as far as I'm concerned. Nothing is lacking in the control setup, the graphics may be dated, but I'm finding a ton of charm in them.

And holy crap is this stuff fun. I can see why these are considered so classic now. They pretty much nailed it right at the beginning. I've had D3 and Mercenary for a while and I've enjoyed them, but I can really see why the original is held in such high regard now.

Drake on
    edited July 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    So Descent has been floating around in my brain since Z put up this most excellent thread. I had a few bucks last night and figured, what the hell and picked up Descent 1 and 2 off of GOG.com for the measly six bucks. So far I've been playing without any source ports and I really don't see myself bothering. Everything is just fine as far as I'm concerned. Nothing is lacking in the control setup, the graphics may be dated, but I'm finding a ton of charm in them.

And holy crap is this stuff fun. I can see why these are considered so classic now. They pretty much nailed it right at the beginning. I've had D3 and Mercenary for a while and I've enjoyed them, but I can really see why the original is held in such high regard now.

The descent games really show off how fucking hard games used to be. They're fucking merciless.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2009
    The descent games really show off how fucking hard games used to be. They're fucking merciless.

And I love that. I love games like Doom where you can crank up the difficulty level to crazy hardness and just blast and blast and destroy and maim until you are wrecked. I still can't quite get my head around why I love the old polygons, vector graphics and sprites so much either. Sure, I appreciate UE3 games. I just beat Mirror's Edge and loved it to death, planned on trying out some speed runs and ghost races, then I grab the Descent pack off of GOG and those plans are forgotten. I end up blasting polygons until way past the time I should've gone to bed, cackling with glee, oohing and aahing at the old graphics, staring at the map screen and forgetting completely about all the new games I've got that I hardly play. I may as well uninstall stuff like Oblivion and Bioshock as long as I've got things like Doom, Quake, Descent, Fallout and the like around. They just have something that seems to be missing in the overwrought complexity and shiny graphics of modern games. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Drake on
    edited July 2009
    Drake wrote: »

I'd recommend the port jobs just for the upped resolution. Think of it as one of the benefits of the fact that Descent was one of the earlier polygon based 3D games ever made. At regular resolutions it just looks like a blurry mess, especially stuff in the distance.

Though you need to do some mounting and ripping to get the GOG version of D2's sountrack working with the port. Either that or use MP3's and the jukebox feature, which is what I've been doing (had the MP3's from way back when the Interplay website was alive).

I just got my hands on a joystick recently so I've finally been able to play these after buying them ages ago. I have to say I've been enjoying going through D2 quite a lot. I think the maps could stand to be a bit more open and without as many tight corridors, but finally playing these games again makes me wonder why more games never tried 3D spatial navigation like this.

subedii on
    edited July 2009
    Have you tried Descent 3? It features a lot of open areas mixed in with the traditional corridor shooting of the first two. Desecent 3 and the Mercenary expansion are available on GOG as well, for cheap. I'm actually enjoying the claustrophobic feel of the originals myself. And yeah, I'll probably get around to checking out some source ports soon, since I do really like them for Doom and Quake. I may also go for my joystick, but I've always played the Descent games with keyboard and mouse. I seem to just get better precision that way.

Which Descent source port isn't done by that douche that showed up in this thread? That's the one I'll probably end up using, since it was the simpler one to use of the two and that guy was a douche so I don't feel like supporting anything he does.

edit: Never mind. I just went back through the thread and figured it out for myself. It looks like I want Rebirth.

Drake on
    edited July 2009
    I've got Descent 3, although right now my preference is for Descent 2. D3's environments and gameplay didn't really feel right. This is going to sound odd, but when I say open areas I guess I felt that some of the outdoors parts of D3 were too open and sparse, with little going on in them. I'm thinking more about open arena styles of areas, where you're free to manoeuvre around in all 3 axis' (axes?). D2 has a lot of those, which makes up for the places where you're ambushed in linear corridors so you can't really move anywhere except backwards.

I don't know which source port was done by whoever. I just used the DXX-rebirth one since it was linked in the GOG forums. Basically you just install it and then copy some files over to that directory. It was also helpful for me since D2 wasn't recognising my joystick properly but the port was.

subedii on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, Descent 3 lost a lot of the charm from Descent 1 and 2 with the open areas. Things were just barren (plus it took forever to fly around some of the larger areas) and while it sounds good and is a technological achievement to get those open areas, it just didn't work with Descent for me. Descent 2 is still my favorite. 1 was excellent, but 2 just built on that.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited July 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    I've got Descent 3, although right now my preference is for Descent 2. D3's environments and gameplay didn't really feel right. This is going to sound odd, but when I say open areas I guess I felt that some of the outdoors parts of D3 were too open and sparse, with little going on in them. I'm thinking more about open arena styles of areas, where you're free to manoeuvre around in all 3 axis' (axes?). D2 has a lot of those, which makes up for the places where you're ambushed in linear corridors so you can't really move anywhere except backwards.

I don't know which source port was done by whoever. I just used the DXX-rebirth one since it was linked in the GOG forums. Basically you just install it and then copy some files over to that directory. It was also helpful for me since D2 wasn't recognising my joystick properly but the port was.

I actually found that the 3 games play better with Wasd+Mouse.

and the asshole's source port is really good. Douchiness aside.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2009
    I use WASD + Joystick.

Jump = Up
    Crouch = Down

Orientation on Q and E.

Most of the rest of the stuff on the joystick.

subedii on
  • BUBBALOUBUBBALOU Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    I play all 3 Versions of Descent with 2 or 3 joysticks depending on my mood. Anyone up for for some Unadulterated Descent Multiplayer Anarchy .....let us know on Gamesurge IRC or Descent Forum IRC

I personally use Rebirth for Descent 1 and 2 and host Servers on Demand for Descent 3

BUBBALOU on
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes or should I.......
  • ionosphereionosphere Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    man, descent was and is one of my top ten, as well as freespace

i use keyboard and mouse not joystick but i can control it very well

E = forward
    D = reverse
    S = slide left
    F = slide right
    W = bank left
    R = bank right
    T = slide up
    G = slide down
    Q = E to S
    A = afterburner
    Z = MINE
    B = switch MINE
    X = rear view
    C = bullet time
    V = slowmo
    Y = use cloak
    U = use invun
    capsLOCKE =
    tab = map
    space = flare
    H = headlight
    LMB = primary fire
    RMB = secondary fire
    CMB = flare
    MWU = cycle primary
    MWD = cycle secondary
    FwMB = zoom
    BkMB = MINE

Oh and i play on D2X-XL which is great and if you have Descent1 as well you can throw in its files and play it and you can get triple fusion, store invuns and cloaks, and if you play D1, it uses D2's AI code

I also have Freespace2 with the FSOpen modification which is awesome it unLOCKEs the power of openGL but you can still use Direct3D, its also easily modded, and the mediaVPS will blow your mind in half with their high poly and glowmap goodness
    Mods to check out: JAD (just another day), Sync, Transcend (don't play this if you can't handle good quality horror), Windmills, Blue Planet, Derelict, Inferno, DESCENT: FREESPACE PORT (thats right they ported FS1 to FS2's engine using FSOpen, and it has its very own mediaVPs, but you don't need the original CD's to get it on you computer, they have it for download), if that isn't enough just go to www.freespacemods.net for all your modding needs
    for more info on D2X-XL go to www.descent2.de
    for more info on FSOpen go to scp.indiegames.us or hard-light.net or www.game-warden.com/forum

ALSO in Descent2 just type in GOWINGNUT and watch your guidebot become a Mega and Smart missile chucking monstrosity

think your a true Descenter??? if so then check out this site page moon.descentforum.net/Descendarium/trueplayers.html

ionosphere on
    edited August 2009
    yeeeehaw!

after the move and getting a new connect hooked up, I'm back in the saddle now. Time to go blasting a few scrubs in multi.

Fernii on