As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft II beta sign-ups open

• capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had to exit every internet using thing except my AV for it to submit, Steam, WLM, Opera.

SkutSkut on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Putting in every game, except for Warcraft 2 and Diablo, is fun. I got excited when each one appeared on my account.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mine seemed to submit just fine with some programs running- but is it still necessary to "take a snapshot?" Sorry if this has been asked, I'm sure it has, but it seemed to upload all of the necessary information all by itself.

E: Or am I just an idiot that couldn't grasp what they meant when they used the word "snapshot?"

Mightyhog on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aumni wrote: »
    Putting in every game, except for Warcraft 2 and Diablo, is fun. I got excited when each one appeared on my account.

Are those not available for download? Or do you just have everything but those?

august on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    august wrote: »

I have them, but cna't find the keys. :(

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    august wrote: »

I have them, but cna't find the keys. :(

IIRC Diablo 1 didn't have a CD key, did it? And I just tried my WC2 key and the site said it was invalid, so I guess they're not going back that far.

Walrus Pete on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So battle.net is hosed. Can us Americans sign up on eu.battle.net or is that going to fuck something up?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait, so all you have to do is run the program, send the info, and just wait to see if you're in?

Edit - B.Net isn't hosed, I just did it.

Henroid on
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So battle.net is hosed. Can us Americans sign up on eu.battle.net or is that going to fuck something up?

I literally just signed up a minute ago so battle.net is working fine for me.

TheSuperWoot on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wait, so all you have to do is run the program, send the info, and just wait to see if you're in?

Yessir.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited May 2009
    http://www.battle.net/

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I did it through Blizzard.com.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited May 2009
    FightTest wrote: »
    I did it through Blizzard.com.

That just redirects you to www.battle.net unless I am missing something.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is this the same opt-in they announced like 2 months ago with the start of B.net 2.0? Or is it something new?

Guess I should check.

Oh, it's a new deal.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Is this the same opt-in they announced like 2 months ago with the start of B.net 2.0? Or is it something new?

Guess I should check.
    This is the actual sign up. You should be pissing yourself with excitement right now, I did.

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2009
    eu.battle.net has a selection for USA when you sign up, so I am guessing it will be fine.

Uselesswarrior on
    edited May 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I suck at most RTS, but I'd love to give Starcraft a try because I don't really do too poorly in Single Player.

Here's hoping I get a Diablo III invite 'tho. :P

battlenet.tif

Oddly enough the app says my CPU speed is 3.06Ghz but the actual webpage lists it as 2.86Ghz. Glitch?

That's...quite a hard drive you've got there.

How does it know to connect the program you download to your account? What magic is going on there?

Also, I registered my BattleChest version of Diablo 2. It didn't pick it up as the battle chest however, it just gave me diablo 2 and LOD. If you register the battlechest do you get Diablo 1?

Uselesswarrior on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I had to exit every internet using thing except my AV for it to submit, Steam, WLM, Opera.

Thanks for this suggestion, it worked right away once I closed gtalk.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shit, I need to find my Starcraft + Brood War CD Keys.

At least I registered practically every other Blizzard PC game with a CD Key (Except Warcraft 2 Bnet edition).

I have had decent luck with betas lately but I'm hoping that luck hasn't worn out yet.

Slicer on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cyphr wrote: »
    Here's hoping they need a box with an Intel Core i7 920, 6GB RAM, 700GB HD, and Radeon HD4870 1GB, running Windows 7 to help out in the beta :D

Of course they do, the maximum graphics settings need to be tested too. I have the same specs, except with a slightly larger hard disc.

I find it odd that this thing doesn't mention the number of cores. Isn't that a somewhat important thing these days?

Peewi on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know I signed up for this and I'm only mildly excited.

I actually just want to see what a blizzard game that isn't an mmo looks like nowadays.

It's been so long.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok... so when I try and upload for the opt-in, it immediately says "there was an error uploading" then a blizzard tech support window pops up... only its in Korean.

Sweet. Guess no beta for me.

:(

Docken on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know I signed up for this and I'm only mildly excited.

I actually just want to see what a blizzard game that isn't an mmo looks like nowadays.

It's been so long.

You're in shock.

I almost had a stroke when I saw the thread.

SkutSkut on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am lucky in the fact that my office computer is almost identical to my home computer!

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

At least I registered practically every other Blizzard PC game with a CD Key (Except Warcraft 2 Bnet edition).

I have had decent luck with betas lately but I'm hoping that luck hasn't worn out yet.

Brood War didn't have a CD-key - if you register your Starcraft CD-key, you get Brood War for free.

KalTorak on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Brood War didn't have a CD-key - if you register your Starcraft CD-key, you get Brood War for free.

Ah.

I guess this really shows how long it's been since I played Starcraft!

Slicer on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kinda like how you just needed one friend with Diablo II, and the rest of you just had to go buy LoD.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Kinda like how you just needed one friend with Diablo II, and the rest of you just had to go buy LoD.

Really? Could've been useful back then to encourage friends to play the game with me. I always presumed that the server would check both keys when connecting.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I believe someone said something about a starcraft CD key they had lying around?... :winky:

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Starcraft doesn't play nice in Vista, unfortunately.

That said, I'll be doing this when I get home. Wooo.

JustinSane07 on
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Starcraft doesn't play nice in Vista, unfortunately.

That said, I'll be doing this when I get home. Wooo.

Yeah it does just set up a compatibility mode in the shortcut

Ohtsam on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Ah.

I guess this really shows how long it's been since I played Starcraft!

Y'know I noticed this I was like "WTF I never bought Brood War".

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Letting my friends know about this.

Though for whatever reason I have no desire to beta test this game at all.

Inquisitor on
  • S.S. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just signed up for this and am wondering... so, uh, what are the changes of actually getting picked for Beta?

S. on
    edited May 2009
    S. wrote: »
    I just signed up for this and am wondering... so, uh, what are the changes of actually getting picked for Beta?

My guess is extremely low unless one/several/all of the following is true

1. you've been in a blizzard beta before
    2. you own most/all of the blizzard games applicable to the bnet account thingy
    3. your computer is at the outer limit of either the game's minimum settings (so it's really crappy but will run it just barely or is amazingly top-end)
    4. you're a starcraft e-celeb

not that it's impossible if you're not one of those things, something just tells me they're more likely to pick people from one of the above categories.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    S. wrote: »

My guess is extremely low unless one/several/all of the following is true

1. you've been in a blizzard beta before
    2. you own most/all of the blizzard games applicable to the bnet account thingy
    3. your computer is at the outer limit of either the game's minimum settings (so it's really crappy but will run it just barely or is amazingly top-end)

4. you're a starcraft e-celeb

not that it's impossible if you're not one of those things, something just tells me they're more likely to pick people from one of the above categories.

Well 2 and 3 count for me. I have every blizzard game thats possible to register, and I am probably on the lower end of the minimum settings.

Woot!

Zerokku on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've been in a Blizzard beta before but there is no way they can know that from my new Battle.net account, is there?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited May 2009
    Depends what it was for and how you registered for it.

Arkan on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Frozen Throne beta.. and I have no idea how I got it, I forget totally.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo