As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Connecting Cat5e to Wall insert

BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Im trying to wire my house, and I'm confused on how to connect the cable to these wall inserts.

cat5e-jack-icon.jpg

They are kind of color coded, but I don't which ones to plug the white's into.

Buddies on

• eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

The whites will be whatever color striped, like in the article. It doesn't really matter what order the wires are in as long as you use the same sequence on each end, but in the wikipedia article the proper orders are shown.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Your link helped me figure it out, this thing is numbered so I see which pins get the orange/white and green and the green/white and orange.

Thanks.

Buddies on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yours should be straight through or patch which is

orange\white orange green\white blue blue\white green brown\white brown'

unless you're wiring directly to a computer across the house

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Dude, a patch cable would be the opposite of straight through...

Edit: just for clarity, if you're wiring in the walls so that you have ethernet jacks like you have a phone and coaxial jack, then you want straight through. If you're trying to wire 2 devices together that aren't networking devices like switches, hubs, or routers then you want a patch cable.

Edit x2, fuck me, jumped the gun. Its been a while since I talked network cables. Carry on, and disregard this post.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »

Edit: just for clarity, if you're wiring in the walls so that you have ethernet jacks like you have a phone and coaxial jack, then you want straight through. If you're trying to wire 2 devices together that aren't networking devices like switches, hubs, or routers then you want a patch cable.

Edit x2, fuck me, jumped the gun. Its been a while since I talked network cables. Carry on, and disregard this post.
    yeah crossover is the one you're thinking of

rollover is for... bridges? if I'm not mistaken

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    there is an old way and a new way. just make sure you do them the same....

i moved into a house and some numb nuts had wired the sockets the old way and teh other end of the cable the new way. no end of trouble. i had to re-wire the lot

Conroy Bumpas on
    Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »

yeah crossover is the one you're thinking of

rollover is for... bridges? if I'm not mistaken

Rollover is used for a variety of tasks, but in my experience it's mostly used when connecting a RS232 Serial port to a router/gateway/firewall/switch console port.

Ruckus on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    doesn't hurt to leave slack in the wall/ceiling. You can coil up a few feet and if for whatever reason in the future if you or someone else needs to move the outlet to an adjacent wall it's doable without having to run a new entire cable.

If you wire one end wrong or it doesn't punch down and make contact well you just snip the end and do it again, takes all of 2 minutes.

I wired way too many school labs back in the day and will forever remember the: orange/white orange green/white blue blue/white green brown/white brown.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg