As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DS Games for Mom

IrohIroh Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Mother's Day is coming up, I'm buying mom a DS Lite, but she's going to need games to play. You know the drill. I'm pretty oblivious since I don't own one myself, but I can tell you all that she mostly plays puzzle games (Dr. Mario being her all-time favorite).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Iroh on

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    Mother's Day is coming up, I'm buying mom a DS Lite, but she's going to need games to play. You know the drill. I'm pretty oblivious since I don't own one myself, but I can tell you all that she mostly plays puzzle games (Dr. Mario being her all-time favorite).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Brain Age 2.

Once she unlocks Virus Buster she will never play another game.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Pic Pic

Picross DS

Planet Puzzle League

Rhythm Heaven

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Puzzle Quest

SlickShughes on
  • Hardleft_335Hardleft_335 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rhythm Heaven is only for the DSi, I think.

PuzzleQuest

Animal Crossing: Wild World

I second Brain Age and Prof. Layton

Hardleft_335 on
  • ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Puzzle Quest
    also: it's a law (or it should be, at least) that all ds owners have a copy of mario kart ds.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Third for Professor Layton, it's a great game to play in small or large chunks of time.

Ganluan on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Puzzle Quest
    My mother loves Puzzle Quest, she's very into all manner of puzzle / block-matching games. She's always borrowing my DS when I go home so she can play it.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    4th for Professor Layton, i'm still stuck on the last bonus chessboard puzzle *shakefist*

If she's into crosswords at all there is
    NY Times crossword puzzle - has a bunch of crosswords and lets you download the Sunday one I think

CrossworDS - generic crossword game, has a good amount of puzzles. You have to get through the medium ones first to unlock the higher difficulties, this could be a problem if your mom is really good at crosswords.

TetrisDS is also pretty good and has a lot of different game mode, however I hear it is rare nowadays.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rhythm Heaven is compatable with all DS hardware models and it's gotten great reviews. I'm just waiting for Gamefly to ship it. And I recommend Mystery Case Files: Million Heir. It's a nice little hidden object game. Also Trace Memory was a really good point and click adventure game, not overly complicated puzzles and a great story.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Why not New Super Mario Bros. or Tetris DS?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Another vote for Puzzle Quest and Prof. Layton.

Damn, I wish they'd localize Diabolical Box and Final Time Travel already. Prof. Layton was such a good game.

Delzhand on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Meteos. Shame on everyone for not mentioning. It is more original and fun than Puzzlequest.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2009
    Meteos. Shame on everyone for not mentioning. It is more original and fun than Puzzlequest.
    the ease you can cheat in meteos is sickening. as hard as i tried i could only resist the urge to stylus spam for so long.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Stylus spam is cheating? I never had a problem with it. It doesn't even work on a lot of the planets that have unique gravity.

Cheating is what bothered me in Puzzle Quest. Once you figured out how to loop you didnt have to play the rest of the game.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2009
    Stylus spam is cheating? I never had a problem with it. It doesn't even work on a lot of the planets that have unique gravity.
    ok maybe the word i should have used was "exploit". don't get me wrong, the game was fun when played "as intended". i suppose it's mostly just my own lack of willpower to not take the easy road.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • 4U2NV4U2NV Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Definitely Brain Age

4U2NV on
  • RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivia Newton John says Brain Age (and Wii Fit)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKAwPQLCPls

It's taken me a while to get my head around Nintendo marketing towards middle aged women. A few years ago the video game store near me closed down to make way for a lawn bowls uniform shop, as a sign of the ageing population. They might have to start stocking a Wii Bowls game soon.

RocketScience on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I ended up buying her Professor Layton with a pink DS Lite today, but I'll keep this list handy for her next few games.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Concerning Mothers and Nintendo games, here's a little thing I stumbled on a while ago (prepare to weep like the little girl you are):

http://animalcrossingtragedy.ytmnd.com/

Cristo on
  • The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll put in a 2nd for CrossworDS, my mother is about as far from being able to handle actual games as anyone could be and she still enjoys CrossworDS.

Brain Age 2's Virus Buster is really almost worth a buy by itself. My mother and my wife are quite fond of Virus Buster and the little brain exercises aren't bad either.

This may sound weird but another thing she might want is one of the language coach titles. For whatever reason my mom is convinced that she's going to learn Spanish from that cartridge.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.