As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a Netbook @ Best Buy

underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
Being in the market for a netbook, I went to Best Buy and found the Eee PC 1000HE I had been thinking about picking up. When I told the sales person (the manager in this case) I would like to buy one, he handed me a Geek Squad "New Computer Setup" contract with a huge list of services on it. I told him I wouldn't require any services, I just wanted to buy the netbook, he informed me that I must fill out the blank contract with my information and sign at the bottom of the form. I told him again I was just trying to buy the netbook and wouldn't sign a blank services contract, making the analogy of not having to sign a contract stating I didn't want any "undercoating" on a new car that I might be purchasing. I was told "no laptop leaves the store without having one of the contracts signed". So I left, went across the street, and bought the netbook at Target. They didn't ask me for any personal information or make me sign any blank contracts. Can anyone tell me what this business practice accomplishes for Best Buy? Do people really sign blank contracts and include all of their personal information? I feel that this is similar to shopping at Radio Shack "back in the day" when you had to jerk off in a cup just to buy an eight pack of AA batteries.

Also, technical content, has anyone thrown Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 on this model? Any problems besides the one official issue noted on the Ubuntu website (sound recording stutters when pulseaudio is running)?

EDIT: I'm not affiliated with, nor have any interests in, Best Buy or Target. Just a consumer.

Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
underdonk on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We just got my step-mom a 1000HEB (Best Buys neutered version of the HE) and all we had to do was grab it off the shelf and get it rung up. We waited for a salesman and he just handed it to us. You just had an experience with a very pushy salesman.
    I question whether you got the actual HE.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We just got my step-mom a 1000HEB (Best Buys neutered version of the HE) and all we had to do was grab it off the shelf and get it rung up. We waited for a salesman and he just handed it to us. You just had an experience with a very pushy salesman.

Interesting. I wonder if the sales manager's bonus (or some such benefit) is tied to the number of Geek Squad contracts he gets inked... regardless of the number of dollars gathered through those contracts. Kind of like a goofy loophole sales thing that he is trying to exploit for his, or his store's, benefit.

The version I got is indeed the 1000HE with the Atom N280 processor - the real 1000HE.

underdonk on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Probably, and good.
    There shouldn't be any trouble with the Ubuntu remix, but why not just put straight ubuntu on there?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Probably, and good.
    There shouldn't be any trouble with the Ubuntu remix, but why not just put straight ubuntu on there?

Just want to give the netbook version a try, as I've heard good things. I'm honestly not a huge fan of Ubuntu (given my needs), and this is basically my way of giving it one last shot before I shun the distro for good. I will probably end up installing the full version of F11 on the system (which I hear runs with no issues in it's current form) when it's released.

underdonk on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    underdonk wrote: »

Interesting. I wonder if the sales manager's bonus (or some such benefit) is tied to the number of Geek Squad contracts he gets inked... regardless of the number of dollars gathered through those contracts. Kind of like a goofy loophole sales thing that he is trying to exploit for his, or his store's, benefit.

The version I got is indeed the 1000HE with the Atom N280 processor - the real 1000HE.

To the best of my knowledge, manager/supervisor bonuses are based on profit, not on a rather silly metric like filled out forms. At my store in particular, we go through sufficient enough forms that we are forced to just use photocopied sheets rather than the carbon-paper stuff quite often, and the photocopied sheet is usually in the customer's hands when it leaves the product leaves the store, making any sort of tracking of that highly unlikely.

Edit : Also, the dude you were with sounds like a general tool. We're rather heartless about pushing shit at my store, but never that assholish.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just want to give the netbook version a try, as I've heard good things. I'm honestly not a huge fan of Ubuntu (given my needs), and this is basically my way of giving it one last shot before I shun the distro for good.

Hey, I know! Let's not consult any release notes or compatibility lists before installing! Especially this one, which was mentioned right next to the download link. And if it Ubuntu doesn't work properly despite publishing an official compatibility list which I won't read? I shall shun it forever!

I admit to being somewhat hypocritical about this. :lol:

Frem on
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I work for Geek Squad, and those forms are only used for new PC's that buy services attached to them - like an optimization, restore discs creation, installing security software, that kind of thing. I've never seen a salesperson have someone fill one out that isn't getting any services, and that form (as far as I know) isn't attached to any kind of tracking. I don't know why a salesperson would think that would be a good approach to trying to sell the services, either. It's not standard practice at BB and you got an extra-pushy salesperson.

Rubick on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    Hey, I know! Let's not consult any release notes or compatibility lists before installing! Especially this one, which was mentioned right next to the download link. And if it Ubuntu doesn't work properly despite publishing an official compatibility list which I won't read? I shall shun it forever!

I admit to being somewhat hypocritical about this. :lol:

That's actually the documentation I was referring to in the OP. I've already looked at the list. Besides, I have plenty of other reasons why I don't like Ubuntu. :P

underdonk on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rubick wrote: »
    I work for Geek Squad, and those forms are only used for new PC's that buy services attached to them - like an optimization, restore discs creation, installing security software, that kind of thing. I've never seen a salesperson have someone fill one out that isn't getting any services, and that form (as far as I know) isn't attached to any kind of tracking. I don't know why a salesperson would think that would be a good approach to trying to sell the services, either. It's not standard practice at BB and you got an extra-pushy salesperson.

That's certainly what it's beginning to sound like. Thanks for the info from the source.

underdonk on
  • Options
    QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had the same experience buying a laptop last year. The first store had 3 in stock. All three were "Open Box", except there was no open box sticker or discount. All three had been opened to have the Geek Squad "Optimization" run. The store refused to sell me any of them without paying for the "service", even though I made it clear I was wiping the drive and doing a clean install. Basically, since I wouldn't shell out for the "service", my business was not welcome. If it hadn't been such a good price, that would have been it, but no I had to get it. So I went to another BB (I had to look up online myself to see what stores had stock, saleskid refused to check, said they "weren't set up for that"...) and while one guy fetched the item, the other handed me the form and told me to fill it out. I had to ask three times before he would come right out and say it was authorization for the "optimization service" (Only $129.99, they'll add that at the register) They walked me up to the customer service register like I was gonna make a break for it or something, and made a big patronizing deal about how I was getting "Just" the laptop...

Ugh. I'm glad they haven't run any good sales recently. With all the liquidations it's either BB or the random mom and pop shops still left trying to sell 1GB sticks of ram for eighty dollars.

Quantux on
    PSN/Steam - Quantux

• Options
    Torque MonkeyTorque Monkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rubick wrote: »

That's certainly what it's beginning to sound like. Thanks for the info from the source.

Also speaking as a Geek Squad employee, the reason you were asked(or made) to sign it was because of the amount of times someone will return to the store with a virus and cry foul that they were never given an option for optional services such as anti-virus installation. When that paper is signed and filed, it's something we have that says "you knew about it, you didn't want it". I know it sounds silly, but it's a daily occurance in some stores.

Torque Monkey on
    Gojira2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Isn't that like complaining that Honda did nothing to prevent you from hitting another car?
    I know car anaologies and computers lol, but... wow.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Also speaking as a Geek Squad employee, the reason you were asked(or made) to sign it was because of the amount of times someone will return to the store with a virus and cry foul that they were never given an option for optional services such as anti-virus installation. When that paper is signed and filed, it's something we have that says "you knew about it, you didn't want it". I know it sounds silly, but it's a daily occurance in some stores.

Having worked in IT for the past 14 years, I can definitely understand that train of thought. However, as an informed consumer, I simply can't sign a blank contract and give up a bunch of personal information simply to buy a product that isn't "controlled" in anyway, such as a firearm (which is funny, because when it comes down to it, you can do far more damage with a computer than you can with a gun). If there were a box to check on the contract stating that I didn't want any services, that would be better, but I still don't see the need to give up my address, phone number, etc. simply to buy a computer. I also understand that I'm in the minority as an informed consumer, and most people wouldn't bat an eye at signing the blank contract, which is why Best Buy can get away with it. So, I simply choose not to do business with Best Buy.

Also, this.
    Isn't that like complaining that Honda did nothing to prevent you from hitting another car? I know car anaologies and computers lol, but... wow.

underdonk on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My favorite Best Buy stunt is the precious little display at the local store.

2 Computers running that 3D Text screensaver. One displays "Non-Optimized" and has it set to a slow speed. The other says "Optimized" and they cranked up the speed on the screensaver.

FUCKING REALLY?!

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

2 Computers running that 3D Text screensaver. One displays "Non-Optimized" and has it set to a slow speed. The other says "Optimized" and they cranked up the speed on the screensaver.

FUCKING REALLY?!

They aligned the chakra flow in the hard drive with rare earth magnet massage therapy

Robman on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    They also keep out the Power Goblins, who - from the Earth's dark heart - are scheming to destroy your sensitive equipment.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Don't forget the special install of antivirus, where ancient dwarven runes are inscribed into your ethernet port so that it audibly says YOU SHALL NOT PASS to any malware that attempts to infect your computer.

Actually I would pay good money for that.

Robman on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

FUCKING REALLY?!
    Man, Consumerist would give a sloppy blowjob for video of that one.

TL DR on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Geek Squad services are the biggest load of BS ever.

But a man's gotta eat, so...

CJTheran on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

FUCKING REALLY?!

My favorite stunt is the demo on the TVs showing the difference between 120Hz and non-120Hz. I'm sorry but faking a video and putting it over the stream isn't going to convince me. Putting two same-model TVs side by side running the same sports game with the feature on/off? That's a little more legit than a video that just intentionally fuzzied half the screen.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

FUCKING REALLY?!

this makes me lol

so what the hell is involved in the $129.99 optimization anyway? I work for a competitor and hardly anything we do is that expensive.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Basticle wrote: »

FUCKING REALLY?!

this makes me lol

so what the hell is involved in the $129.99 optimization anyway? I work for a competitor and hardly anything we do is that expensive.

"My computer's fast. Finally! Finally fast!"

Scrublet on

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, this thread makes me glad I never shop at Best Buy for anything more expensive than computer games and movies (and I hardly ever do that because the nearest BB is like 1.5 hours from me).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    They can be good for TVs, if you're not comfortable ordering online. Just do your own research.

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    They can be good for TVs, if you're not comfortable ordering online. Just do your own research.

I've found that hhgregg easily beats their prices on TVs, FWIW. I didn't mean for this to turn into a BB hating thread. I promise.

EDIT: BTW, the HDD died in my 1000HE. Argh. I guess we'll see how good the Asus technical support is.

underdonk on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »

I've found that hhgregg easily beats their prices on TVs, FWIW. I didn't mean for this to turn into a BB hating thread. I promise.

EDIT: BTW, the HDD died in my 1000HE. Argh. I guess we'll see how good the Asus technical support is.

No, they actually don't. Right off the bat, H.H.Gregg doesn't sell high end TVs. At all. I just did a quick check on their site, and currently they are only selling last year's models on Samsung and Sony. They don't even stock Panasonic, and they don't stock any of Sammy or Sony's higher end models. The only reason H.H.gregg appears to have lower prices is because they only sell shitty TVs. And, on the models they actually carry that are good enough for Best Buy to carry, Best Buy actually does still beat them.

Correction: they stock one Panasonic. But almost all the TVs are off-brand. Though strangely they are promoting the 65" Sharps, of all the high-end TVs to have. In any case, the point here was that say what you will about Best Buy, but I have never found their prices beatable at a retail level without extenuating circumstances (CC going out of business, the economy driving everyone to desperation last Christmas, etc.)

Scrublet on

• Options
    RawkasaurusRawkasaurus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just to clarify:

Best Buy > HH Greg because they stock higher end TVs and the salesmen are not on commission and don't have any real incentive to sell you other crap like cables and whatnot, aside from looking like better employees to their supervisors.
    Also - the $129 service is a standard security and performance package which includes the cost of software (generally the $60 verision), the installation of said software ($30), and the optimization ($40).

"My favorite stunt is the demo on the TVs showing the difference between 120Hz and non-120Hz. I'm sorry but faking a video and putting it over the stream isn't going to convince me."
    I've never seen this at any store. It is honestly easier (and more ethical) to stick the same TV side by side with the feature turned on or off. They do this with their examples of calibrated vs. non-calibrated units and you can see the difference if you knoiw what you're looking for.

Rawkasaurus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Interesting. I bought a 55" Sony SXRD 1080p from hhgregg several years ago for about $500 less than anyone else was selling it (including Best Buy). It was top of a line at the time, and I assumed they were still stocking the same stuff and giving the same deals. Sounds like their business has gone downhill. Of course, my definition of high-end TVs and other's definition of high-end TVs may be different. I'm not a true TV nut.

underdonk on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BB employees may not work on commission, but you can bet your ass that a manager is chewing somebody out if the warranty sales figures come back too low.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rawk, I can direct you to two specific Best Buys in MD that were running the mentioned video as part of their whole demo video that loops all day. This was a month ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was still there. And by the way, since you brought up their calibrated/non-calibrated comparison, they have been caught pulling some shit there as well. And yea what Timothy said, it's also well documented how managers and employees are pushed to sell extended warranties no matter what.

I wouldn't say H.H.Gregg's business went downhill. Best Buy has established itself in the consumer mindset as the best consumer electronics store. No one does close to the business they do in the market. So H.H.Gregg, Wal-Mart, etc. snap up the lower section that Best Buy isn't willing to support. Circuit City tried to stay in Best Buy's playground, but they screwed some things up and now they're gone. And while I don't expect H.H.Gregg to stock the highest-end TVs (Samsung/Sony 52" LCDs at $3500+), I expect them to be selling this year's models, or at least providing better discounts on last year's shit that they have on that site.

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    BB employees may not work on commission, but you can bet your ass that a manager is chewing somebody out if the warranty sales figures come back too low.

If you can't sell accidental damage warranties with college bound laptops, you fucking fail as a salesman and deserve to get fired. That is all.

This is coming from someone who worked himself through a few years of college selling computers.

Robman on
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I worked for BB once. They do somthing at that company to brainwash their salesmen. People would flat out lie to stangers to try and make a quota for the day. A manager once told me to lie to a soldier, telling him a BB warrantey would cover sand damage to his laptop. Well, they don't anymore because too many soldiers came back with busted laptops and BB had to actually hold their end of the deal up for a change. I quit and haven't gone back since. That place makes me sick.

Who here knows about their customer categories? It was basically a rule of thumb for trying to sell to people a certain way based on their economic status (which was subtly suggested by race/ culture in their guide pamphlet.

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was buying a camera lately, the Canon rebel T1i had just come out. Best Buy was selling it for $1300. The MSRP was $900. Everybody else was selling it for the $900. So I bought it at H H Gregg.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus