As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stray pet found, trying to return it.

bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have wound up in possession of a stray ferret. He seems to have been cared for quite well before he wound up wandering around on the side of the road about a week ago, so it seems reasonable to entertain the possibility that he escaped from a kind and competent owner rather than having been turned out into the heat of the drought-ridden Floridian summer by some heartless prick.

Unfortunately, he's not chipped. The local animal shelters have received no calls from anyone who's lost a ferret, there's nothing in the local papers' classifieds, and craigslist and Pets911 have been a wash. Does anyone know of any other websites or organizations that are likely to have listings for lost pets?

Rogue helicopter?
Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
bone daddy on

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What kind of area do you live in? If its a small neighborhoodish place your best bet might just be knocking door to door and/or looking for "lost ferret" postings on light poles and such.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    The people who found him canvassed the area the day they picked him up without turning up any leads. So far there haven't been any lost fliers, though we'll be keeping our eyes open.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Check places you wouldn't normally think to check: it's easy to forget that for many people, the internet is the last place they would think to turn after losing a pet. When our cat went walkabout a few years back, my parents put up fliers in convenience stores, community centers, the local video rental place - anywhere people would be likely to physically go. We actually only ended up getting her back because somebody saw the notice pinned to the bulletin board in a grocery store, and thought "Hey, that looks oddly like the new cat that suddenly appeared at my neighbour's house that she never lets outside without supervision!"

(Yes, the neighbour in question had actually stolen our cat, and we never would have gotten her back if my parents hadn't posted a flier in the dingy little grocery store five blocks away from our house).

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maybe put a few fliers up around local supermarkets and such with a photo? with YOUR information.

If you can be bothered.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maybe put a few fliers up around local supermarkets and such with a photo? with YOUR information.

If you can be bothered.
    I'd recommend against a photo, unless you want to just end up giving some high school kid a free ferret - since the ferret isn't chipped, the only way to make sure the correct owner gets it back is to have the owner provide information that only they would know. If you post a flier with a photo, anybody could call up and say "Oh, that's, uh, Bitey, thank God you found him! I'll come pick him up right now." On the other hand, if you post a flier with "Ferret found, please call if you've lost one!", you can just ask the caller to describe its colouration and markings. If the ferret is pure black or something, it's possible they might just get lucky, but it's still better than taking no precautions at all, I'd say. Ferrets are fairly expensive pets, so I would not be at all surprised if people tried to claim it.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Where I live, the Humane Society recommends that lost pets be dropped off with them. The SPCA has the means and tools to care for a ferret, and the resources to track down an owner if possible. After a reasonable interval, and if you're so inclined, you can adopt the ferret yourself (if you're into rodents).

Just food for thought.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Raziel wrote: »
    ...you can adopt the ferret yourself (if you're into rodents).

Just food for thought.

I hope you don't post a lot in the "Most bizarre/gross thing you've eaten" thread... D:

MichaelLC on