As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trine [PSN/PC]

• Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    We've been able to LAN PC games for like 15 years now. I'm willing to give them Shadowgrounds, as, like you said, they're small and indie, and it was their first game. Little bit less with Survivor, and I just fail to see the excuse for this one.

edit: just so I don't come across like a total dick, this game looks absofuckinglutely amazing and i will be buying it regardless of multiplayer. I also own and played to death Shadowgrounds and Survivor, so. Top-down shooters are so good.

Mustachio Jones on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh god, reading the GT comments makes your brains leak out of your ears.

-Loki- on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »

That looks so awesome, but what sucks is that the game only supports single-system co-op. Man, that's the same problem Shadowgrounds had. :x

I mean I can't castigate them for that or anything, it's their game and it still looks really good regardless. But they really need to get hold of some network engineers or something, the lack of online is really starting to cramp their games.
    Starting? They've already lost out tremendously just on the two Shadowgrounds, and they will continue to do so with this game if they continue to push doggedly ahead in their "no network multiplayer" model.

I say starting because really, the Shadowgrounds games were their debut titles. They were a new company with a new indie game and whilst it made them money it wasn't really something in too well to mainstream gaming. This title however is likely to be more well known and probably sell a lot more, but when you're getting a larger potential playerbase flaws like a lack of online really start to put the hurt on profitability.

I could understand them not having online in an indie game like Shadowgrounds. Whilst it held the title back from being the amazing game it could have been (and it was still really good), it's understandable for a first title.

I dunno, maybe they just don't have the resources to pay hire in new people just yet. It's still understandable if I think of it like that, but ultimately it still hurts what would obviously be a much better game if they only had that feature.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Frozenbyte and will gladly buy Trine (and probably all their future titles) because of how good the Shadowgrounds games were. I'm more lamenting the missed opportunities than really complaining about their business practices. In all honesty I think this game, being a PSN console-exclusive, will do fine with same machine-only co-op.

I'll just continue pining for the ultimate Shadowgrounds/Diablo hybrid with online co-op that no one seems to ever make :cry:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited April 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    I'll just continue pining for the ultimate Shadowgrounds/Diablo hybrid with online co-op that no one seems to ever make :cry:

$texas, if done right. Why no one can emulate the Diablo formula is beyond me.

Mustachio Jones on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And I don't understand why nobody makes it, because it's such an obvious concept. Shadowgrounds was an awesome action game, what RPG elements they put in helped give it a little more depth, and despite not having online capability the game was built with co-op in mind.

You take all that and add in online and a bit more of an RPG mechanic, and you'd have a really awesome game. It would really make for an addictive action-RPG purely for the fact that you now have direct control of your characters movement, it would change the whole dynamic of gameplay. Throw in a couple more classes to complement those you had in Shadowgrounds: Survivor, and I think it would be a real winner.

The closest I ever saw to that concept was probably "Restricted Area", which was a cyberpunk take on Diablo. Nothing really to write home about, but it could have been great. Problem is that they never came provided the promised multiplayer servers (so you couldn't play online, just singleplayer and LAN), and soon afterwards they shut down the forums so people couldn't even discuss it.

subedii on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Oh god, reading the GT comments makes your brains leak out of your ears.

You should see their forums.

Yes I just made you look at their forums. Consider it payback for making me look at the comments thread for the video.

subedii on
  • ElosElos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So it looks like Q2 release is going to hold:
    FB_Lauri wrote:
    The release has been planned to be end of June, and if that for any reason (not ours, heh :wink: ) fails, we are talking only about weeks tops.

Also:
    FB_Lauri wrote:
    However, our Shadowgrounds games are just being released on Linux aswell, so I'd say that's a possibility also, but we first want to see how Shadowgroundses sell on Linux. For Mac version, we only need Nvidia to make Mac version of PhysX to be able to port Trine (and Shadowgroundses) to Mac.

Oh and the co-op will allow a player to just pick up a second controller in the middle of a single player session and join in without the need to restart the game. Which is nice and will be pretty cool to have with the online multiplayer which I'm sure they'll release afterwards. Frozenbyte would have to be staffed by blabbering idiots to pass such a moneymaking oppoturnity.

Elos on
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LIVE!!!!

PC demo is out 400 odd megs; just finished it twice. Just google trine demo pc or something similar. It is quite good. If you're too lazy; I got my demo via links at a site I go to bluesnews.com . I would avoid the filefront download as my attempt to download that installer ended up in corrupt files everywhere; your mileage may vary.

Supposedly, this game is coming out on July 3rd. Though I'm not sure if that's Europe or US date. US publisher Southpeak just lists Summer 2009.

Since I like the main theme so much; the composer has made the theme available for download. Here is one place to get it; easily googled.

Cobell on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cobell wrote: »
    LIVE!!!!

PC demo is out 400 odd megs; just finished it twice. Just google trine demo pc or something similar. It is quite good. If you're too lazy; I got my demo via links at a site I go to bluesnews.com . I would avoid the filefront download as my attempt to download that installer ended up in corrupt files everywhere; your mileage may vary.

Supposedly, this game is coming out on July 3rd. Though I'm not sure if that's Europe or US date. US publisher Southpeak just lists Summer 2009.

Since I like the main theme so much; the composer has made the theme available for download. Here is one place to get it; easily googled.

Dear God, you're not even lying. :shock:

Downloading now. I'm so fucking pumped for this game.

Vi Monks on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's also available at Gamespot.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just finished the demo. Anyone who said this looked similar to The Lost Vikings was spot on. Same basic gameplay with added elements like equipment, level-up bonuses, physics puzzles, and voice acting.

Tertiee on
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kind of off-topic, but there's a lot of love for the Shadowgrounds series here. It was my understanding that the Alien Swarm UT2004 mod kind of beat these guys at their own game, though. Is the single-player campaign on the original or Survivor really worth paying for?

Skexis on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just finished up the demo (though will be replaying it many times) and I'm just blown away. The on-the-fly switching is so much fun. I loved the spinning platforms. Make a block above the one on the right as wizard, switch to thief as it's falling and grappling hook the one on the left and fling yourself into the distance. I was like :mrgreen:. Even in one play through, it's obvious there are so many ways to go through each section. I could replay this for hours.

And it's gorgeous. I'm more excited about this than just about anything released in the past few months.

Vi Monks on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Skexis wrote: »
    Kind of off-topic, but there's a lot of love for the Shadowgrounds series here. It was my understanding that the Alien Swarm UT2004 mod kind of beat these guys at their own game, though. Is the single-player campaign on the original or Survivor really worth paying for?

Well considering they're essentially only single player, unless you want to try and play co-op on the computer, yeah, both are pretty fun. There are free demos of both up on Steam if you want to check out the gameplay. Overall I'd say Survivor is more worth the money than the original, because you get more RPG-lite leveling, more interesting characters, and unlockable Survival Rooms.

I bought both for $20 (steam sale for Survivor's release), and I definitely felt I got my moneys worth. But if you're only going to buy one, or it's not on sale, just get Survivor :^:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My download was either corrupted or the installer just doesn't like my computer so stuff it, I'll just wait until the PSN release.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So a Mac version is coming then?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As this game supposedly has jump in co-op gameplay, wouldn't that break the gameplay when there's suddenly two players running around in a single player level?

Regardless, this looks really awesome, downloading the demo right now. Also, according to rockpapershotgun the release date is July 3rd.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    At first I was like "Oh coo'" when I saw the first trailer and even with the mention of co-op I wasn't too interested, but after seeing that co-op trailer I'd have to say it looks like a solid purchase from me. Most likely on the PSN since, like everyone has pointed out, the co-op is offline only. I don't have any problems with that, though, since I know a few friends who I wouldn't mind playing this game and sharing the couch with.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game is gorgeous. Apparently it will be available for pre-order on Steam. I'm down day one.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Demo was really fun cooperatively. Day one purchase.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is the PS3 release going to coincide with the PC release?

chamberlain on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Just finished the demo. Anyone who said this looked similar to The Lost Vikings was spot on. Same basic gameplay with added elements like equipment, level-up bonuses, physics puzzles, and voice acting.

Lost Vikings, for reals? This is rapidly becoming a day-one for me.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

YESSSSSSSSS

I had that vibe from the first screens, and I hadn't been paying much attention since but I'm stoked.

This is still coming on XBLA as well, yes? I'll be grabbing it there when it hits.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited June 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

YESSSSSSSSS

I had that vibe from the first screens, and I hadn't been paying much attention since but I'm stoked.

This is still coming on XBLA as well, yes? I'll be grabbing it there when it hits.

It is not. PSN and PC only.

chamberlain on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think its coming on XBLA (I have no idea why) but at least you can get it for PC. But yeah with the local online coop it is better on a console.

EDT: Beated. But yeah game looks awesome, I hope the PSN release is July 3rd as well since I'd rather have that version. (Though sucks that I will be gone on vacation)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited June 2009
    greeble wrote: »

YESSSSSSSSS

I don't think its coming on XBLA (I have no idea why) but at least you can get it for PC. But yeah with the local online coop it is better on a console.

They announced at E3 that it was headed to XBLA as well—I know it was PC/PSN only at first, did they renege? I don't have a PS3 or a PC worth shit, so unless it's PSP-runnable ... :(

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No, it is coming to XBLA, being ported by Atlus I believe.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

They announced at E3 that it was headed to XBLA as well—I know it was PC/PSN only at first, did they renege? I don't have a PS3 or a PC worth shit, so unless it's PSP-runnable ... :(

Oh cool 8-) that news completely passed me by. I don't see why they would back out and really I have no idea why there wasn't a XBLA version to begin with. (Perhaps it was started back when MS was enforcing download size restrictions). I don't think you have anything to worry about. OP should update the title.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited June 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    No, it is coming to XBLA, being ported by Atlus I believe.

Well, it's not the first time I've been wrong...

chamberlain on
    edited June 2009
    I only asked because I saw the initial screens and was :D, but then I saw it was only on systems I didn't own and was :(, so it dropped off my radar. Then I heard it was coming to XBLA and I was :D again. :o, even.

Lunker on
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pretty fun Demo. I am actually going to pick this up. I can see the potential.

EDIT: Also, I had to get it from atomic gamer, Filefront was currupt when I D/Ld it.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Such a lovely game (judging by the somewhat short demo), I will definitely pick up the PC version when they get around releasing it. The graphics & art are great, it looks absolutely fantastic, and the audio is equally well done. The controls works really well (I played with a X360 pad), and the few times I got one of the characters killed I always knew it was my own fault and what I had done wrong. Great stuff! :^:

Dírhael on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So this is available for pre-order on Steam now, and buying it now gets you shadowgrounds for free. Is that any good? I think the price point is rather steep (€30) but if Shadowgrounds is fun I might reconsider. Still need to play that demo though...

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    So this is available for pre-order on Steam now, and buying it now gets you shadowgrounds for free. Is that any good? I think the price point is rather steep (€30) but if Shadowgrounds is fun I might reconsider. Still need to play that demo though...
    Shadowgrounds is a really good game, though I see that the pre-order includes only the original and not Survivor (which would be the best version to play, if given the choice). As for the price, it's not cheap, but if you could get someone from the US to buy and gift it to you then you'd get away with $30 (yes, they're playing the $1==€1 game this time...).

Dírhael on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Demo was pretty great. Does indeed have a Lost Vikings vibe to it, only without the hassle of running through an entire level with three different characters one after the other.

Definite buy, though I'll wait for the inevitable Steam sale.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hrm, Steam has it listed as: Co-op mode for up to 3 players on the same system

Makes me sad.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    edited June 2009
    I really wish FrozenByte would get their shit together and get netplay going. Both Trine and Survivor could've/would've been phenomenal with online co-op.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited June 2009
    €30 is a silly price. Even if you do get Shadowgrounds on top. That should be what full priced games are set at.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    It's only $30 on Steam.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2009
    Unless you're in Europe, yes.

Cherrn on