As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ABC's Castle: Nathan Fillion? ABC? Yeah, this won't last long.

• Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I liked the not so subtle dig at CSI:Miami.

Doronron on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Doronron wrote: »
    I liked the not so subtle dig at CSI:Miami.

Yeah, it was a nice shot.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hmmm the show hooks me in with the eye candy and reels me in with the humour/characters.

This show is becoming one of my favourite shows fast. Though that is probably due to my crush on Stana Katic.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Stana grows on me every week, which is really just a bonus. This show really only needs to put Nathan Fillion on TV to be fun.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The only problem I have on this show is that I spend a good twenty minutes waiting for the characters to reach the same conclusion I'd come to for whodunit. It is fortunately made up for through Fillion's antics. Castle and Beckett are really the only draw for me. One or the other leaves, it's done.

Doronron on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looks like it's going to get renewed, based on the ratings from this past episode.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/07/monday-ratings-abc-wins-as-castle-surges-after-dancing/18044

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I thoroughly enjoy this show, but I do wish it weren't so predictable.

You know, you're allowed to have the perpetrator be someone you didn't introduce in the first 15 minutes of the show.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Doronron wrote: »
    The only problem I have on this show is that I spend a good twenty minutes waiting for the characters to reach the same conclusion I'd come to for whodunit. It is fortunately made up for through Fillion's antics. Castle and Beckett are really the only draw for me. One or the other leaves, it's done.

Well, yea... Castle and Beckett are kind of the lead characters, of course it couldn't survive without them.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I really like this show...
    Why bitch about the murders? Is it supposed to be a guessing game?
    I just watch it for Castle and Beckett. They are quite hi-larious.
    Who cares if you can guess who dunit? It's still funnier than half the crap on TV at the moment.

The fact that they always tell him to stay in the car but he always ends up in the middle of it is great.

rfalias on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

You know, you're allowed to have the perpetrator be someone you didn't introduce in the first 15 minutes of the show.

It seems to me that's kinda the problem with TV whodunits (maybe whodunits in general). There are two conflicting desires at play, the first is to make the mystery accessible to the viewer. That is, provide the astute viewer with enough clues to allow them to make good guesses as to the perpetrator of the crime.

Opposing that is the desire to offer an interesting crime, with twists and turns and cool stuff.

The conflict here is that, if you're going to go with the latter impulse, you often have to reveal certain characters and motivations late, or "hide" clues. Basically, you withhold information from the viewer in order to ensure the viewer can't unravel the twist too early. That means a viewer can't ever actually solve the mystery until the solution is revealed. Sometimes that kinda sucks. On the other hand, if you err toward the former, your mystery is less mysterious, and even people who don't attempt to unravel the whodunit know the answer before the end.

I think in general either approach can function provided I feel interested in the outcome. I still feel like the Law and Order series generally give me reason to watch the show, even knowing I'll never be able to divine the mystery without the big reveal. Castle I love to watch despite the transparency of the crimes because Nathan Fillion (and the cast in general, really) are so compelling.

That said, I'm not sure I like Latino Cop Sidekick or White Cop Sidekick. Maybe not liking is the wrong way to say it, I'm just not sure they're particularly memorable or necessary.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What is it with TV shows naming there shows/characters after buildings?

First House, now Castle. What's next? Citadel?

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »
    What is it with ABC naming there shows/characters after buildings?

House is Fox.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    House used to be ABC did it not before Fox bought the rights?

EDIT: Oh bollocks it didn't...

Ok, replace ABC with TV and away we go!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    House used to be ABC did it not before Fox bought the rights?

EDIT: Oh bollocks it didn't...

Ok, replace ABC with TV and away we go!

Well, House was so named because it is a play on the name "Holmes", which sounds sort of like "Homes", so they named their Sherlock-inspired Doctor "House".

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

There is also Bones, Buffy, and Angel.

Probably a lot more. :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

. . What?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

. . What?

Yeah. What? I've never heard of a Bones, Buffy, or Angel building.

However, on another note, I think I need to pitch a police procedural that teams up a chicken farmer and a cop to solve crimes. It'll be called "Cock".

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just finished the first episode and yeah, it's ok. I can see promise in it. Nathan is excellent as always.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh wait I thoght he said character names, doesnt help that the show names are also the character's names in the show. :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »

It seems to me that's kinda the problem with TV whodunits (maybe whodunits in general). There are two conflicting desires at play, the first is to make the mystery accessible to the viewer. That is, provide the astute viewer with enough clues to allow them to make good guesses as to the perpetrator of the crime.

Opposing that is the desire to offer an interesting crime, with twists and turns and cool stuff.

The conflict here is that, if you're going to go with the latter impulse, you often have to reveal certain characters and motivations late, or "hide" clues. Basically, you withhold information from the viewer in order to ensure the viewer can't unravel the twist too early. That means a viewer can't ever actually solve the mystery until the solution is revealed. Sometimes that kinda sucks. On the other hand, if you err toward the former, your mystery is less mysterious, and even people who don't attempt to unravel the whodunit know the answer before the end.

I think in general either approach can function provided I feel interested in the outcome. I still feel like the Law and Order series generally give me reason to watch the show, even knowing I'll never be able to divine the mystery without the big reveal. Castle I love to watch despite the transparency of the crimes because Nathan Fillion (and the cast in general, really) are so compelling.

That said, I'm not sure I like Latino Cop Sidekick or White Cop Sidekick. Maybe not liking is the wrong way to say it, I'm just not sure they're particularly memorable or necessary.
    Yeah, I know what you mean, and don't get me wrong, I love the show. However, I do believe that it comes down on the wrong side of both of those ideas.

Take the last show for instance.
    I knew it was the sister right from the beginning. Admittedly, I didn't know the mother was involved right up until they revealed it at the end, but let's focus on the sister for the moment. The thing was, the sister was too predictable of a culprit, so the mystery was easy to solve BUT they didn't actually discover the evidence that led to the sister (the bunny) until the very end of the episode. So even if you were a fan of deducing the culprit from the evidence, there was no chance to do that until the very end of the show anyway. They might as well have pulled a stranger in at the end.

The other thing was, the only thing that had me doubting that it was the sister was the sophistication of the kidnapper's methods. All the technology stuff, rerouting phone calls, using the unrecognizable machine voice, how the hell would the sister know how to do all that stuff? That wasn't ever really explained either, even with some silly throwaway "she was an electronics major in college" line.
    I'm just saying, it's a good thing that the whodunit part isn't the reason I watch the show. I watch the show because I like watching Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic trade lines. I just think it could be a lot better and appeal to more people if the whodunit portion was better.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well House is named House because he's supposed to be Sherlock Holmes. Holmes=House. see?

Speaking of Sherlock Holmes, Doyle didn't even bother to give the reader any clues, so creating an engaging mystery doesn't necessarily mean that the audience has to be able to parse the clues. It may help, but still.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Like many people have already said, the main characters, for me, are spot-on. They are the reason to watch this show. They'll work on crime drama aspect, and hopefully that part will be better in the future. But for now, the show is still loads of fun to watch, and that's really all I need.
    Oh, and there's this, too:

<3<3<3
    stana-katic1.jpg

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Well House is named House because he's supposed to be Sherlock Holmes. Holmes=House. see?

Speaking of Sherlock Holmes, Doyle didn't even bother to give the reader any clues, so creating an engaging mystery doesn't necessarily mean that the audience has to be able to parse the clues. It may help, but still.

Like I said, it's not necessary to serve both impulses, but I feel like those are the contradictory impulses at the heart of creating an engaging whodunit.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Like I said, it's not necessary to serve both impulses, but I feel like those are the contradictory impulses at the heart of creating an engaging whodunit.
    Well, my point was that the show isn't serving either, really. It's too predictable to have a real mystery as to who the culprit is, but even if you weren't guessing it from the beginning, it's impossible to follow the clues to figure out who it is because the clues that let you guess it aren't available until 2 minutes before they reveal the culprit.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Well, my point was that the show isn't serving either, really. It's too predictable to have a real mystery as to who the culprit is, but even if you weren't guessing it from the beginning, it's impossible to follow the clues to figure out who it is because the clues that let you guess it aren't available until 2 minutes before they reveal the culprit.

I was just elaborating my position for Fencingsax. I actually agree entirely with your assessment as you presented it here, and in your previous post saying something similar. I hadn't looked at it that way, but it makes sense.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If Castle is not renewed I will flay somebody. Maybe everybody.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    If Castle is not renewed I will flay somebody. Maybe everybody.

Seriously, they just had to end the show right there this season.
    So like... serial killer killed Beckett's mom? Or hitman of some sort?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    So, is tonight the season finale? Wikipedia has only ten episodes listed, but not much other info.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So, is tonight the season finale? Wikipedia has only ten episodes listed, but not much other info.

Imdb and tv.com shows only 10 episodes too, I think it is, and the way it ended was fitting of a season finale.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This whole season was worth it solely for the Chris Walken impression.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That was fucking beautiful.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The best part of that episode was the whole bit about the time honoured tradition of hazing the boyfriend.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah great episode, and the writer at least had the forethought if the show doesn't get picked up the audience can easily infer what happened next.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Really hope this gets picked back up. Want more Nathan Fillion doing Walken impressions.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    Really hope this gets picked back up. Want more Nathan Fillion doing Walken impressions.

Well word on the street is the Walken is in the Dr Horrible sequel.

The street in question is the one where I make stuff up

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    TheBigDaddyDowdTheBigDaddyDowd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How long till we find out if this gets a 2nd season?

TheBigDaddyDowd on
    TheBigDaddyDowd.png
    AC City folk=2965-2082-7154
  • Options
    edited May 2009

No later than the end of the month, usually networks release their fall schedule around now because they have to shoot the first batch of new eps over the summer.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Friday, supposedly.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just needed five more minutes of screentime, those bastards...

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I hate hate hate cliffhangers on season finales.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png