As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just had an attempted break-in. Your run-ins with criminals?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not exactly a run in with the criminal but when my car was broken into I argued with the cop for about 20 minutes about the difference between a lane and a circle.

Yes douche, I know what a circle is. I don't live on the motherfucking circle. I don't care if you don't see it labeled as lane on your computer because I'm looking at the god damned sign, and the sign across the street uses the circle.

Yes I know a circle goes around, no I'm not on the road half a mile up, I'm on the connecting piece of asphalt. Yes I know what a circle is god damnit, do you?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tox wrote: »
    I'm....probably a klepto. I genuinely find stealing a bit of a challenge. Like...how can I outsmart theft-detection/deterrents, ya know?
    Yea, you've got a problem. There are better ways to challenge yourself.

Bama on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    And yet, every time they check my receipt/bags, they never find anything.

One time, back when they were putting those dumb sensor tags on everything, like deodorant, I decided to try to steal some just to see if this particular idea I'd had would work. I took two, pocketed one, and put the other in my basket. After I checked out, I went into the bathroom, put the purchased (and sensor-deactivated one) in my pocket, and put the un-scanned one in my bag. Headed out, triggered the sensor. They asked for my bag, waved it in front of the thing, it went off, they pulled out my receipt, checked the items, saw I'd paid for the stick of deodorant, handed me my bag, and sent me on my way.

I'm....probably a klepto. I genuinely find stealing a bit of a challenge. Like...how can I outsmart theft-detection/deterrents, ya know?
    So actually, you're the reason the rest of us have to show our receipts to the fucking greeters. Thanks a lot, asshole.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    that I'm not a thief (though I've stolen plenty of things from there)

o_O

Yeah, what the fuck.

"I'm not a thief, but I'm a thief."

Yeah, no, I'm definitely a thief. I've stolen all kinds of shit. Kind of a thrill. Probably a bit of a klepto.
    So actually, you're the reason the rest of us have to show our receipts to the fucking greeters. Thanks a lot, asshole.

One time, back when they were putting those dumb sensor tags on everything, like deodorant, I decided to try to steal some just to see if this particular idea I'd had would work. I took two, pocketed one, and put the other in my basket. After I checked out, I went into the bathroom, put the purchased (and sensor-deactivated one) in my pocket, and put the un-scanned one in my bag. Headed out, triggered the sensor. They asked for my bag, waved it in front of the thing, it went off, they pulled out my receipt, checked the items, saw I'd paid for the stick of deodorant, handed me my bag, and sent me on my way.

Yes, you're such a bad ass, we know!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    that I'm not a thief (though I've stolen plenty of things from there)

o_O

Yeah, what the fuck.

"I'm not a thief, but I'm a thief."

Yeah, no, I'm definitely a thief. I've stolen all kinds of shit. Kind of a thrill. Probably a bit of a klepto.

Klepto's steal out of irresistable compulsion, not out of a sense of challenge. Often they don't even realize they're doing it and end up with random shit they don't even want.

You're not a kleptomaniac. You're an asshole thief.

KalTorak on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One time I went to Wal-mart, grabbed what I had come for, went to the self-check-out line. I paid with my credit card, for the little terminal asked for my signature. Feeling a tad bit feisty, I signed it in print letters "Credit Card Fraud". It accepted it, printed out my receipt with the signature I signed printed right there on the receipt.

I head towards the exit and one of the greeters stops me, asking to see my receipt. I calmly hand her the receipt, she looks over it intently, clearly lingers a bit on the signature, and then nods, hands me my receipt and waves me through. That one greatly confused me.
    http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit_card/

http://www.drunkrepublic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97:when-your-credit-card-signature-fun-backfires&catid=34:humor&Itemid=60 (NSFW line drawing)

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited May 2009
    Also, if you find it thrilling to outsmart Wal-Mart loss prevention then you may be more, uh, challenged than you realize.

Bama on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Oh yeah, that's exactly it. It's all my fault. I'm so hardcore that Wal-Mart decided it would cost them less money to install worthless theft-deterrent systems that don't actually stop very much. Yeah, I'm so awesome.
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Yes, you're such a bad ass, we know!

Yeah, no, not even remotely. I'm just bored, is all.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited May 2009
    I hate you tox, you're the type of person that probably stole $20 worth of change from my car, my cellphone charger, and headset. And I hate you.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My wife had a run-in with some criminals before she moved up here to Canada. She'd been living with her mother, with most of her stuff in storage pending the documentation being processed which would allow her to move in with me up here. No sense in carrying a year lease when you were planning on leaving in a few months.

They come home from a shopping trip one weekday to find a message on their machine from the owner of the storage units. Seems that someone was getting their stuff out, had forgotten their key for the lock, so they brought bolt cutters to cut it off. "Unfortunately" they'd gotten the storage locker wrong and had cut the lock off my wife's unit. This apparently happened late the previous evening. Being the fine upstanding people that they were, they did not replace the lock, nor guard the unit until such time as someone could be contacted. They left a message with the owner who wasn't home, and took off for out of state.

My wife rushed over there (it was only a block away), and found her unit rifled through. TV taken, boxes unpacked, stuff missing. She didn't lose a lot in the material sense, but there were some things in there of sentimental value that she'd been given that were missing, and even the notion of strangers going through her things was really upsetting.

Police were called of course, but really, what can you do? Noone was ever caught or compensated. We still theorize that they entirely intended to rifle through someone else's unit using this excuse, figuring on plausible deniability and distance to keep them from having to deal with the law.

Entriech on
    edited May 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    I hate you tox, you're the type of person that probably stole $20 worth of change from my car, my cellphone charger, and headset. And I hate you.

I wouldn't steal a phone charger.

Wait, yeah, I have, actually. the cord on mine got chewed through, and someone at the restaurant I worked at had left their charger in the break room (we're not even supposed to bring our phones into the store with us). So I ganked it.

Another time, someone had left their phone charging in the breakroom, after being told, multiple times, to stop doing it. It was one of the PTT Nokias, with the really easy to get to SIMM cards, so I just swiped that, and tossed it down the sink drain.

I'm well aware that I'm an asshole. I'm pretty okay with it.

Tox on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Oh yeah, that's exactly it. It's all my fault. I'm so hardcore that Wal-Mart decided it would cost them less money to install worthless theft-deterrent systems that don't actually stop very much. Yeah, I'm so awesome.
    Uh, yes, it is your fault, because you get your jollies from stealing apparently. And all the people who, you know, just go in and buy things get to deal with higher prices and increased scrutiny because you're an asshole. The worst kind of asshole too, the one who thinks being an asshole makes you cooler than the rest of us.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited May 2009
    It's times like this I wish I was batman and could just lay the beat down on people.

bowen on
    edited May 2009

Uh, yes, it is your fault, because you get your jollies from stealing apparently. And all the people who, you know, just go in and buy things get to deal with higher prices and increased scrutiny because you're an asshole. The worst kind of asshole too, the one who thinks being an asshole makes you cooler than the rest of us.

No one snowflake is to blame for the avalanche.

And, again, I don't think I'm cool, or awesome, or better than anybody, or anything like that. I just genuinely don't care.

Tox on
    edited May 2009

No one snowflake is to blame for the avalanche.

Except the one that sings Madonna's Like a Virgin at the top of it's lungs while landing on loose snow on a steep bank or incline.

bowen on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One time I was in a thread on Penny Arcade and this dickbag showed up and gloated about how much he enjoyed stealing things.

Oh wait

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One time I was in a thread on Penny Arcade and this dickbag showed up and gloated about how much he enjoyed stealing things.

Oh wait

Where's Batman when you need him?

KalTorak on
    edited May 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

Oh wait

Will I do? I'm an internet tough guy you know.

bowen on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Back when I was rooming with my friends, our house got broken into. Interesting story.

I got home from work first, when I opened the front door I noticed that a nearby window was partially open. One that we never touched. It did set off my weird sense. I walked into the living room and noticed my roommate's X-Box was missing from it's usual perch. I thought for a moment that he might have taken it in to work (he worked at a new/used game store) or that maybe my other roommate had done so. I went to my room and threw down my stuff. I went into the room where the window was open, and saw that a floor lamp was lying on the floor, broken at the base. It was next to the open window. Suspicion set in at that point.

I grabbed the phone and called the second roommate, but got his voice mail. I tried calling my other roommate's work as he didn't have a cell phone.

I asked him if he'd taken the X-Box in with him for some reason- he said no. I proceeded to tell him that I thought we'd been broken into. He stopped for a second and asked me to go into his room. I did. He then asked me to look at a spot on the floor under his Annie DeFranco poster- was there anything there? I responded, no there's nothing there.

"I gotta go", he said. "Dude- we just got robbed? What's more important than that?"

"I'm pretty sure the people who broke in are here right now trying to sell me my Sega Saturn and X-Box."

As it turns out, yes, they had grabbed his entire Sega Saturn collection. He thought it was weird that someone would have the same esoteric games he did, but it didn't set him off until I called.

While he stalled them, the cops were called. He was told to simply buy everything they offered, and get their information (it's kind of like a pawn shop- you get thumbprinted and you licence is copied).

They did send someone out to fingerprint the areas of the house, and that was amusing, because my roommates had to hide all the bongs and pot somewhere else.

Eventually, we got most of our stuff back. Mostly games and the X-box. My other roommate did lose a pair of prescription sunglasses, and a personalized engraved beer stien filled with loose change. Never did see those again.

Last we heard, the lady of the group who actually tried to fence the stolen goods went to jail- no word on if she ever rolled over on the actual thieves.

There also was this time when my truck got stolen, and I had to go to court to testify against the hag they caught driving it later... un-eventful, though.

Tach on
    edited May 2009
    I'm well aware that I'm an asshole. I'm pretty okay with it.
    and yet you seem to keep trying to justify it

Bama on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    "I gotta go", he said. "Dude- we just got robbed? What's more important than that?"

"I'm pretty sure the people who broke in are here right now trying to sell me my Sega Saturn and X-Box."

Okay, that's funny.

desc on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

This reminds me of a friend of mine in Boston who had his Civic broken into. They left his cell phone and his stereo and spare change.

They took his head rests.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Wait, yeah, I have, actually. the cord on mine got chewed through, and someone at the restaurant I worked at had left their charger in the break room (we're not even supposed to bring our phones into the store with us). So I ganked it.

Another time, someone had left their phone charging in the breakroom, after being told, multiple times, to stop doing it. It was one of the PTT Nokias, with the really easy to get to SIMM cards, so I just swiped that, and tossed it down the sink drain.

Congratulations! You're a douchebag.

Bogart on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    once me and a buddy of mine went bike riding under this huge overpass. people would chuck all sorts of stuff down there so we would ride down, and climb up the massive concrete walls to search throw all the junk left there.
    well, us being retarded 12 year olds, we left our bikes standing upright at the bottom of the structure.
    as we started climbing up two guys walked by and waved hello to us (this was a fairly popular path as it took you through town without being on the main road). we waved back and climbed further up.
    we got near the top, so close you could feel the cars passing over head.
    suddenly, my friend is yelling and jabbing his hands down at our bikes. except, they were gone! i look to the right and see the two guys from before, on our bikes, pedalling away like maniacs.
    we scrambled down and gave chase, but clearly they had the upper hand. we could hear them laughing and calling back to us, which only made me more furious.
    we ended up calling the cops but the cop who came basicaly told us we were stupid and that the bikes were long gone. :/

Local H Jay on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Shit, I had completely forgot! Yeah, I'm working at Wal-Mart, and some lady apparently stole like 12 or 15 or a whole damn bunch of TVs...she had simply grabbed a hand cart, and was throwing them on it and rolling them out the door one at a time. Did this more than ten times before a greeter finally, like, noticed. Had a whole van full. If she hadn't gone back for that last one, she'd have gotten away with it.

I wound up catching the shit for it, because I was in electronics. Which may be fair. But I was alone in there, and busy with customers back-to-back the entire time. I mean, that's why we have door greeters and why we generally mark the boxes so they know the crap was paid for.

But yeah.

See, that's why I hate when the greeters try to check my bags and ask to see my receipt and all that crap. I politely inform them that it's okay, that I'm not a thief (though I've stolen plenty of things from there), and that I didn't steal anything. If they give me crap. I give it back, and I don't break stride.

The one time I actually got confronted was when I had a cart full of groceries. Like....refrigerated stuff, and I'd spent over $100. The manager ended up coming over, and I put it plainly. "Look, if you want to check through all this stuff we can go over to Customer Service and you can sort through it while they're ringing up my return. If you're going to assume I'm stealing from you, I'm not going to bother actually giving you my money."

He apologized, and left me on my way.

Interesting little factoid, but stores actually can't force you to submit to a search. They can ask, but if you say no there's nothing they can do about it. Places like BJ's get away with it because you sign a contract when you join.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • HelloIamBatmanHelloIamBatman __BANNED USERS new member
    edited May 2009

Oh wait

Yes?

HelloIamBatman on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Six wrote: »

This reminds me of a friend of mine in Boston who had his Civic broken into. They left his cell phone and his stereo and spare change.

Some guys stole the glass from the wing mirrors off my co-worker's pickup. When he phoned in, it was like $25 a piece to replace, so we had a good long discussion about why somebody would do that.

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited May 2009

They could've hijacked a few hundred dollars with of programming books too, but clearly that was too much information to process. If you can conceal a cellphone charger with a huge ass cord you can conceal a text book or two.

bowen on
    edited May 2009
    Last year, a buddy of mine fell asleep on his couch one night. Around 5:30 AM or so, he wakes up and there are two guys standing in his living room staring at him. He screamed bloody murder and they ran out. He chased them for about 100 yards until he realized he wasn't wearing any pants.

RUNN1NGMAN on
    edited May 2009

Oh wait

Yes?

want to Skype sometime?

i love you

KalTorak on
    edited May 2009

Some guys stole the glass from the wing mirrors off my co-worker's pickup. When he phoned in, it was like $25 a piece to replace, so we had a good long discussion about why somebody would do that.

How do you even sell shit like that. I think pawn shops should be pretty illegal, it might stop petty shit like this from happening because from my position, there is relatively no legal reason to use a pawn shop. Is $200 for your grandmother's $8,000 diamond ring really worth keeping around just because you're in a pinch and need $200 until your next paycheck in 2 days? No, you'd probably likely be able to go "hey look I'm a little late on my rent and you'll get the money in 2 days" because you're not dealing with the fucking mafia anymore.

bowen on
  • postinonthenetspostinonthenets Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FAIL

postinonthenets on
    Solitude sometimes is best society, and short retirement urges sweet return

Twitter
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Last year, a buddy of mine fell asleep on his couch one night. Around 5:30 AM or so, he wakes up and there are two guys standing in his living room staring at him. He screamed bloody murder and they ran out. He chased them for about 100 yards until he realized he wasn't wearing any pants.

this belongs in S&E as well.

Dunadan019 on
    edited May 2009

How do you even sell shit like that.

We ended up agreeing that it somebody who legitimately broke their own mirrors, based on the fact they pried out the fiddly little holding pegs instead of just taking the glass. So either some guy or a shady auto shop.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Meh, stealing from Walmart is not even on the same scale as stealing from a person. I've had my car broken into twice. Once my mom took it to the shop without me having a chance to get my stuff out, and I lost a pellet gun, like 4 old cell phones I was going to sell, my stereo, and like 60 CDs. Another time I bought my current car, took it home to my apartment complex, and when I came out in the morning the window was smashed. Cocksuckers didn't even take anything.

I've also been robbed. I was trying to sell like $200-$300 worth of stereo equipment, and the fucker maced me and ran off.

TL DR on
    edited May 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

huh?

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    One time I went to Wal-mart, grabbed what I had come for, went to the self-check-out line. I paid with my credit card, for the little terminal asked for my signature. Feeling a tad bit feisty, I signed it in print letters "Credit Card Fraud". It accepted it, printed out my receipt with the signature I signed printed right there on the receipt.

I head towards the exit and one of the greeters stops me, asking to see my receipt. I calmly hand her the receipt, she looks over it intently, clearly lingers a bit on the signature, and then nods, hands me my receipt and waves me through. That one greatly confused me.
    http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit_card/

As a side note, in Experiment #3, he goes to Krispy Kreme in Dedham, MA. That KK closed down about a month after he posted this. Lack of business, since DDs have such a stranglehold on the morning fast food market in this state (and their headquarters is the building next to mine).

To keep my post semi on topic, I've never been robbed or broke into. I feel...special. A boring kind of special though.

JustinSane07 on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

huh?

strange and embarrassing moments thread.

i laughed so hard.

it would also be a great story to have a long and drawn out explanation of what happened only to have it end up with a guy running down the street without pants on.

Dunadan019 on
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To start Canadians have a candy similar to M&Ms called Smarties, dunno if they're available outside of Canada, but I know they're not available in Florida, every now and then my parents come down from Canada with a box of them for me to eat (A bulk box of like 40 or 50). (For good measure, Americans have a candy called Smarties too, but they're like Rockets in Canada. Just FYI)

So I take my wife's car to the Hyundai dealership to get the tires and brakes replaced, they take way longer than they quoted to fix, leaving me sitting around for quite some time (I walked 6 miles that day to kill time). I'd left a box of them in the console area and I was totally planning on eating them when they were done.

Queue a few hours later when I get into the car and realize they're gone... Damn I was pissed, they ate my Smarties :(

Fun part? They called later on and asked for a review of their service, I trashed them and specifically let them know they stole my box o' Smarties...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
    edited May 2009

huh?

strange and embarrassing moments thread.

i laughed so hard.

it would also be a great story to have a long and drawn out explanation of what happened only to have it end up with a guy running down the street without pants on.

Ah, gotcha :)

Yeah, I am not embellishing at all. It's the most bizarre break-in story I've ever heard. Crazy thing is, this was in a residential neighborhood of single family houses in Falls Church, VA. Who breaks into a house when people are guaranteed to be home? Totally crazy.

RUNN1NGMAN on