As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Upcoming Games Thread

• Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have an idea for a political Phalla featuring elected roles instead of some of the specials. It's not yet fully thought out, but I'll reserve a place for it now so that I only have to wait four years instead of eight.
    Alternatively, if any of you people already on the list but without partners or themes are interested in the idea, PM me.

Aroused Bull on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not sure where to pose this question, but considering this is the main phalla thread I'll post it here. I was just wondering, what mechanics have been used in past phalla games? I keep hearing about things like thralls and councils. I'm just curious about what has been used before so I can keep it in mind while I"m trying to figure out the mechanics I want to use in my own phalla.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited March 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to pose this question, but considering this is the main phalla thread I'll post it here. I was just wondering, what mechanics have been used in past phalla games? I keep hearing about things like thralls and councils. I'm just curious about what has been used before so I can keep it in mind while I"m trying to figure out the mechanics I want to use in my own phalla.

The most recent three Phalla threads of D&D are in the archives. In particular, check the communist one for a large number of special roles, and I think the Newham one had a couple of interesting mechanics like conversion.

Aroused Bull on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Whoever is running the next game should wait till the 17th to start the signup thread.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited March 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »

The most recent three Phalla threads of D&D are in the archives. In particular, check the communist one for a large number of special roles, and I think the Newham one had a couple of interesting mechanics like conversion.

I've skimmed the Phallas in the archives, but honestly they're each like 60 pages long and none of them have any kind of single page or post where all of the special mechanics and such are listed. And as much fun as it would be to read through three 60 pages threads, I think someone just naming some of the interesting mechanics off the top of their head would be a little more efficient.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Check the optional role section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_Game

Elendil on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You should read the wikipedia page on mafia if you haven't. That has all the mechanics I've seen here, and more.

Specifically, most games here have
    • one seer
    • at least one guardian (though how effective he is varies)
    • at least one vigilante
    • one or more families of bad guys (usually opposed to each other)

Some other things I've seen here
    • masons (group of villagers)
    • millers (good, seer as bad)
    • thrall (bad, seers as good)
    • lawyer (bring people back to life, though on a very limited basis)
    • a neutral character (be careful with this)
    • metaseer (checks if somebody is a special of some sort)
    • bomb or redirection (kills whoever targets them for killing, or redirects the kill)
    • immunity to being votekilled.
    • conversion to the bad side (almost everybody here thinks its a bad idea, so I wouldn't suggest using it)
    But really, read the wiki page, and make sure your game is at least semibalanced.

beated by Elendil

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007

I've skimmed the Phallas in the archives, but honestly they're each like 60 pages long and none of them have any kind of single page or post where all of the special mechanics and such are listed. And as much fun as it would be to read through three 60 pages threads, I think someone just naming some of the interesting mechanics off the top of their head would be a little more efficient.

They do list their mechanics, it's just the pages doing so are buried somewhere near the ends of the threads.

Aroused Bull on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Where does the name Phalla come from, anyhow?

Casual Eddy on
    edited March 2007
    Where does the name Phalla come from, anyhow?
    The first game. Tarranon ran a bunch of names by me, and I approved of that one.

You're welcome!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

They do list their mechanics, it's just the pages doing so are buried somewhere near the ends of the threads.

The communist one had a lot of new roles and variations of old roles. The list of specials is here.

Cantide on
    edited March 2007
    Alright, thanks everyone.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cantide wrote: »

The communist one had a lot of new roles and variations of old roles. The list of specials is here.

*sigh*

Always manages to point out that I lost the game for the commies. I believe he said that at least 2 or 3 times.

Casual Eddy on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Rygar wrote: »
    Phalla Game - Voyage to Phalla - Its almost ready and by the time it rolls around I will have had played enough Phallas to put some interesting tweaks on it.

So the setting will take place on a boat?

I'd like for there to be a Phalla with a setting similar to The Thing. The idea might have een done already. It would probably be hard to do. The game would be large, but there would be only one alien at the beginning. The way I imagine it, the first alien has the option to change one person each day by PMing the leader.

Spaceship, and its very close to what you described. I am still watching a few games to work out the mechanics.

48 people
    1 bureaucrat (seer)
    1 religious fanatic (neutral)
    2 marines (who know each other, and can defend each other and others but not themselves)
    Family of 4 (servant-similar)
    6 aliens (assassins with 2 kills a night)

I have decided to axe and vigilante and split the power between the neutral faction which is actually out for itself and give another kill to the assassins.

Vishnub: Sorry you got axed when you finally became a seer, perhaps paying more attention early on in the game will help shield you from stupidness in the future?

Unknown User on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cantide wrote: »

*sigh*

Always manages to point out that I lost the game for the commies. I believe he said that at least 2 or 3 times.

In my mind the blame rests squarely with visiblehowl and the other "main group" commies.

EDIT: Oh man Rygar, I watched that last game, and if I were you I wouldn't be accusing anyone of anything.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Phalla Game - Voyage to Phalla - Its almost ready and by the time it rolls around I will have had played enough Phallas to put some interesting tweaks on it.

I'd like for there to be a Phalla with a setting similar to The Thing. The idea might have een done already. It would probably be hard to do. The game would be large, but there would be only one alien at the beginning. The way I imagine it, the first alien has the option to change one person each day by PMing the leader.

Spaceship, and its very close to what you described. I am still watching a few games to work out the mechanics.

48 people
    1 bureaucrat (seer)
    2 marines (who know each other, and can defend each other and others but not themselves)

I have decided to axe and vigilante and split the power between the neutral faction which is actually out for itself and give another kill to the assassins.

Vishnub: Sorry you got axed when you finally became a seer, perhaps paying more attention early on in the game will help shield you from stupidness in the future?

By "neutral" you had better mean athe religious fanatic is a "serial killer" role, who kills 1 per night and wins if he is the last person left.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007
    thorgot wrote: »

48 people
    1 bureaucrat (seer)

By "neutral" you had better mean athe religious fanatic is a "serial killer" role, who kills 1 per night and wins if he is the last person left.

That's not actually neutral. That's just another monster on his own side.

Aroduc on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    thorgot wrote: »

What is up with all the "neutral" roles? Specifically neutral roles that seem to have instructions of "Have lots of power, go do whatever the fuck will amuse you." Did Choco even have a victory condition?

I'm all cool with a 3 way conflict but 2 ways with 1 guy whose job is to fuck with people sounds like fun for only the guy and maybe the narrators.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited March 2007
    I guess what I was saying was that someone who has no incentive to do anything but mess with other people is a stupid role. A serial killer is just a group of one monsters.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

48 people
    1 bureaucrat (seer)

Step off my spaceship theme. :/

(Actually, it's fine, I'm definitely sticking with my original colony fleet idea. Just don't add more ships!)

Also, what the hell on that last paragraph.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
    edited March 2007
    Well, the neutral faction I was envisioning, wont actually have super-powers or kill powers. It will be interesting. You might be able to guess his power from the name I chose. Either way, I am trying to rip off a spaceship theme, it could conveivably be done on a plank ship, but the story will be richer with what I initially envisioned.

Vishnub: I am not saying it wasn't stupid, but you wont shut the fuck up, even to the point you are dragging shit into a thread that serves a whole another purpose. Its a game. You lost. Wanna talk about it? Send another pm.

Unknown User on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Vish and Rygar: Not another word in this thread, kthxbi.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited March 2007
    Fencing, are you ready to run your game by the 17th? If not, then cool. mtv's good to go.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mine will be a big game.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2007
    Is that a yes or a no?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I don't think it would be prudent to go out of turn. Plus I'm not really ready.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2007
    Alright then. The 17th, mtv.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Running my game on the 17th would be absolutely perfect *except* that it's meant to be big (40 or more). :/ How many days must it be wrapped up in?

On that note, I am looking for somebody who is probably not going to play in my game (hah, sorry) to run my current plan by. Preferably it'd be someone who has an eye for the side balance, such that I can scale the size/sides down accordingly.

tuxkamen on

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    edited March 2007
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Running my game on the 17th would be absolutely perfect *except* that it's meant to be big (40 or more). :/ How many days must it be wrapped up in?
    No limit, but mtv already took the spot. Sorry. :P

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited March 2007
    No worry. I read it too late, I was working on the setup today.

tuxkamen on

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay, I will get started immediately.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited March 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Don't bother with a pregame thread. Also, how big is this going to be?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Don't bother with a pregame thread. Also, how big is this going to be?
    A, wasn't planning on a pregame thread anyway, and B, 40 players.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited March 2007
    I am confused, I thought the whole point of mtvcdm going was so we wouldn't have to wait two weeks for the next one. Why are we waiting til the 16th for sign ups?

Unknown User on
    edited March 2007
    The whole point was so we wouldn't have to wait 4 weeks for the next one.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys, can we possibly post approximate sizes of games when we sign up? Smaller games go faster, so it will help those of us not too far down the list get a better estimate of when our turn will be coming up.

My game will be 39 players.

Nerissa on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess I may as well toss my game onto the list, since it seems like I'll have a considerable amount of time to iron out the details.

Vampire: The Masquerade, ~20-30 players.
    2/3s Camarilla
    1/3 Sabbat, possibly half or less being Anarchs
    2-4 'Guardians' - Gangrel and Nosferatu, respectively
    4-5 Loyalists - Ventrue, aware of each other's existence
    2-4 'Seers' - Toreador and Malkavian(Malkavians can receive more information at random, yet are limited by their insanity, while the Toreador may determine if a player is lying)
    2 Vigilantes - Assamites; one Sabbat, one Camarilla(tentative)

The Sabbat pack will likely know who they are, and have the opportunity to ambush one player per evening. The Anarchs, if used, will have an opportunity to turn a player to their side(only effective with Camarilla).

The Camarilla elect a Prince each evening, who has the power to execute at will, but is generally expected to follow the will of the assembled Kindred, or there can be consequences.

The dead might also get to have a role in the game later on, if a Giovanni gets thrown into play.

Victory results if the Camarilla eliminate all the Sabbat, while the Sabbat win if all the Camarilla are dead(or converted to Anarchs). If the Anarchs get used, they'll most likely be more of an outside influence than villains per se.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This could only work if people would roleplay, what's the fun in running a Vampire game if the Malkavians aren't batshit crazy? (someone post the signpost conversation)

Aldo on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, it'd be expected for whoever gets a Malk role to be a little insane, especially given how their Seer role works out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Yeah, it'd be expected for whoever gets a Malk role to be a little insane, especially given how their Seer role works out.
    Well then, I recommend you give it to Rygar :P

Richy on
    sig.gif