As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Girlfriend has a UTI...

JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid?Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Yup, my girlfriend has a UTI, that I've heard about in way too many details and we need help. Her doctor is a bunch of worthless assholes that can't fit her in today and she simply can not afford the ER. This isn't even up for debate, she can not afford it under any circumstances. So the question is, what can we do for now until she can get a doctor's appointment?

JustinSane07 on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    um, cranberry juice?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Cranberry juice, but if it's bad she's not going to find meaningful relief till she gets an antibiotic. Sorry.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    You can also get over the counter cranberry supplements and either/or can provide varying degrees of relief from little to exceptional but really you need antibiotics. Even if the cranberry juice relieves the symptoms, it's still important to get on the antibiotics to actually clear the infection.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    GuffreyGuffrey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm assuming it isn't all that serious yet. Soon after we got married my wife had a UTI, that didn't really have any of the "classic" symptoms. One night she started throwing up, couldn't get out of bed, was basically the most sick I've ever seen her. I ended up taking her to Urgent Care that night. So basically, I understand not wanting to go to ER, waiting for a doctor, etc, but don't let the infection go too far.

Guffrey on
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are there any urgent care clinics around?

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Doc in a box. Around here, they are called 'Urgent Care'. They're made for things like that, things that need to be taken care of, but aren't broken limbs or profuse bleeding. Although I did go there for a broken limb once.

Edit: Damn you, you spoony bard.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Get AZO, from pretty much any grocery store or CVS. It's usually in the feminine products aisle. It won't cure anything, but it will make it more bearable for her until she can get into a doc and get a prescription.

:edit: Urgent care will run you $300-500 without insurance.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I see you live in Brockton (I'm from Hanson originally) so there should be about a million CVS around you. Go to one that has a Minute Clinic. I've used them before for flu shots, and they are seriously the best thing ever. Think of it like going to the school nurse (they're staffed by nurse practitioners).

edit: so I just looked at the Minute Clinic website and they don't offer treatment for UTIs in MA for some reason. Probably has to do with the MA health care plans or something.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    She lives in Pawtucket, and according to the Minute Clinic site they don't even have any in RI. That's fantastic. The closest to her is Fall River and Taunton. That's some bullshit.

I will tell her to go to the CVS down the street and pick up the AZO to aleve the pain.

And yeah, she couldn't afford a 300-500 trip to an Urgent Care place. She has insurance, but it's really crappy.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay, I had a uti fairly recently, and I went to my doctor. She said that incase this does happen again, and she can't fit me in, that I should take "Uristat". It relieves the pain, burning, and horrible incomfortableness of a UTI, HOWEVER, doesn't heal the actual infection. So, take Uristat until she can get to the doctors, then take the antibiotics they give her.

Edit: Also drink LOTS and lots and LOTS of fluids. Cranberry juice helps, but what you really want to do is flush the system and bacteria. Every time she needs to use the bathroom, she must go. Holding it in because it burns will just exacerbate the situation, and hold bacteria in the urethra.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i gots a uti right now!

go to a walk-in clinic
    they'll get her to pee in a cup and give her a perscription for it
    easy peasy.

in the meantime, drink REAL cranberry juice to get rid of the constant nagging feeling that you need to pee.
    it can't be cocktail, it has to be real, bitter ass cranberry juice. you can water it down a bit, but for real fast relief, i recommend just wo-manning up and drinking it as is.

edit: oops just read the rest of this
    if that's the case, go to the hospital
    just tell them she's been having really bad abdominal cramping from the uti
    then THEY'll get her to pee in a cup and then you can...

...oh shit wait. the US, you'd have to pay for that.
    hmmm... sucks to be you guys i guess, she's going to have to suffer through it till her doctor can see her. cranberry juice it is,
    you won't suffer long-term problems from it unless you go for weeks
    who in their right mind would let it go for weeks though? they are awful.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Listen to Beav about the juice. The sugar in the cocktails prevents the enzymes in the juice from doing a damn thing. Get pure straight up cranberry juice. No sugar added.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Listen to Beav about the juice. The sugar in the cocktails prevents the enzymes in the juice from doing a damn thing. Get pure straight up cranberry juice. No sugar added.

high-fives to utis

i mean... wait...no

fuck i hate these things
    i also have a cold sore.
    fml.

beavotron on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd be concerned with your insurance policy, you're likely going to need a prescription and if it won't cover a fucking urgent care or ER visit, then it likely isn't going to cover an antibiotic. When can they fit her in for an appointment?

Have you told them that this isn't exactly some sick kid who needs a prescription this is someone who could lose their kidneys if they don't get seen within a few days and get on an antibiotic stat? They usually required to keep a few appointments empty a day just for this, even if that means staying open past 5:00 PM EST.

But again, ER GO NOW AND DON'T FUCKING WORRY ABOUT $300 IF IT MEANS YOU KEEP THE KIDNEYS ALIVE if you can't convince them to get in and get a prescription.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I told her to pick up the AZO stuff, which I guess is similar to the Uristat stuff, I'm guessing, since they do the same thing. I think she's going to do that.

And I just told her about the pure cranberry juice part too, and warned her of the taste being bitter.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You said she has insurance. Go to their website and click the "find a provider" button, then click on "urgent care/quick care" for provider type. It will bring up a list of places in her area that are covered by her insurance. Easy as pie.

Even if she has really crappy insurance I can't imagine her having to pay more the 50 bucks to get it treated.

Heads up on the AZO it can interfere with the uranalysis results. Also her pee will turn dark orange (scary if you don't know it's going to happen). So it really is worth it if you are going to wait to be seen, but if you can get in soon hold off on the AZO until you've been seen.

Worse comes to worse you can hunt down a free clinic, they'll do it on a sliding scale.

UTI's can wait but you don't want it turning into a kidney infection (back pain etc.) , then you have a lot bigger problems on your hands.

Troy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If it's already been going on for a week it's likely a need for visiting the ER or Urgent Care. UTIs can get bad really quickly if you ignore them.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    If it's already been going on for a week it's likely a need for visiting the ER or Urgent Care. UTIs can get bad really quickly if you ignore them.

What he said. I've had patients who've held off on treatement for a couple days end up in the hospital getting IV antibiotics. It really is silly to hold off on treatment. Call the clinic up ask to speak with a triage nurse and talk about how bad the abdominal pain/back pain is.

That will get them to move there ass.

I'm really suprised she isn't able to get in today.

Troy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It started last night.

But I just got off the phone with her. She told me her doctor is 10 minutes down the street, so I told her to go over there and talk to them in person, since they keep putting her on hold on the phones. It's a lot harder for them to turn a patient away that's at the office than it is to throw one on hold.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yeah that's the way to do it. Also tell her to put on mascara then cry for a while. Look as miserable as possible.

Troy on
  • Options
    TinuzTinuz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    But again, ER GO NOW AND DON'T FUCKING WORRY ABOUT $300 IF IT MEANS YOU KEEP THE KIDNEYS ALIVE if you can't convince them to get in and get a prescription.

THIS!

Really, $500 (worst case) isn't something insurmountable and one hell of a lot cheaper than two busted kidneys. Ask friends, parents, whomever, anyone who cares for you will lend you the money if need be (i prefer my friends with kidneys and healthy, just because I cannot stand whining).

Tinuz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It started last night.

But I just got off the phone with her. She told me her doctor is 10 minutes down the street, so I told her to go over there and talk to them in person, since they keep putting her on hold on the phones. It's a lot harder for them to turn a patient away that's at the office than it is to throw one on hold.

That was a great idea. You might even be able to get them to prescribe without even seeing the doctor if she has a history of it.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    She has Blue Cross, Blue Shield, and is in Pawtucket, RI. I have no ide what the zip is.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    https://www.bcbsri.com/BCBSRIWeb/ProviderSearch.do

Here is the site to use, type in the zip, and you need to know the specific insurance product she has (it will be on the card). Under specialty select urgent care. It will spit out a list of names and distances, all names will be covered by her insurance.

If she doesn't get into her primary care clinic, she can go to any of those. It will list on her insurance card how much the copay is for an urgent care visit. Furthermore don't worry about the cost of antibiotics, they are actually one of the cheaper medications to get.

Troy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well she's at the primary care clinic now. So I'll see how that goes, and if it doesn't go well, I'll email her that link and tell her what to do.

I just can't picture a nurse or doctor turning away a patient in need because "we're booked." That seems like a really piss poor excuse and one that could be used in a malpractice suit if she does become really sick.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    man you guys are seriously overreacting
    uti's are very common in women
    you have to let it go for quite a while before it turns into anything even remotely dangerous for your kidneys

this coming from someone who HAS suffered from kidney problems in the past.
    i get utis constantly, they turned you away because it's a simple uti, it's not life threatening, they are booked up for now, she can do stuff to make it stop being irritating but by no means is her life or health being threatened by waiting a couple of days with a uti before starting antibiotics.

beavotron on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's always in your best interests to get medical problems taken care of quickly. Everyone is different, so just because one persone experienced something one way doesn't mean everyone else will as well.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, real cranberry juice is effective at preventing these kinds of things. You can get the concentrate in capsules as well.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    you have to let it go for quite a while before it turns into anything even remotely dangerous for your kidneys

i get utis constantly, they turned you away because it's a simple uti, it's not life threatening, they are booked up for now, she can do stuff to make it stop being irritating but by no means is her life or health being threatened by waiting a couple of days with a uti before starting antibiotics.

Usually by the time someone's posted here there's already been a weeks worth of time passed, infection's set in, and the person's running a fever of 105. And they're looking for an over the counter remedy to cure them.

No offense to Justin.

But most doctors make you wait a month or so to get for an apartment. In a months time you could be sitting on dialysis.

bowen on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you already have a UTI, cranberry juice won't do a thing. And while it's more effective than placebo in certain populations at preventing UTI, it's not going to prevent you from having UTIs 100% of the time, especially if you have certain conditions that predispose you to having UTIs. I'm not sure the claptrap about "sugar and enzymes" is scientific... probably just more propoganda, and it probably hasn't been studied in a large cohort.

While the main danger for a UTI is having the infection spread (especially the kidneys), UTI is extremely common. As in, Common Cold common. Without extenuating circumstances (pregnancy, kidney transplant, etc.), the complication rate is very low. Your primary care doctor has to make triage calls every day when it comes to treating the thousands of patients on his roll, and a UTI is very low on the list of urgency and severity. Would it be the right call? Depends on the type of patients he/she sees every day. But you aren't likely to die from a UTI. Also, antibiotics typically clear it up in about 80% of patients. The other 20% are predisposed to having recurrent UTIs.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    An apartment? Oh Bowen, you silly man and your lack of an edit button.

Really though, it started last night and my girlfriend does have a bad habit of drama-queening situations that don't need to be. Me, never having dealt with something like this before, took it as serious as she was making it. But apparently I didn't need to.

Anyways, I just got a pair of text messages from her. One telling me that they took a sample and they'll see her at 1:30pm. The other, well the other says this.

"The nurse was like 'Why'd you walk in?' I told her and she was like 'Well, don't do it again. We're not a walk-in clinic.' I just glared at her."

This makes me angry. I want to drive down there and curse that nurse out.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you know any nurse practitioners they can probably hook you up with a scrip for an antibiotic. My wife is in nursing school so her instructors got her a prescription for Bactrim.

Edit: They aren't a walk in clinic indeed. They aren't for that. Surely you have something near you. Around here we have one that can usually see you within the day if you call in the morning, are also open most evenings, with little wait. Charge about 50-75 bucks for a visit.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Well, actually, sometimes UTIs can get fucked up pretty quick. My first (and last, for now) UTI had me bleeding in a matter of hours, which my doctor said she's never seen before, and if I hadn't come when I did, I could have damaged my kidneys.

Yeah they're common, but sometimes shit happens to common things, so it's always good to get checked out right away. Especially with something that can potentially damage an important part of your body.

Just my 2 cents.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    DaboohkDaboohk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My wife had a UTI once... I just gave her some antibiotics we had laying around the house and it cleared up the next day. YMMV.

Daboohk on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "I wouldn't have to walk in if you'd give me 10 minutes of your time instead of making me wait dangerously long amounts of time in order to even see my doctor. Maybe I've got the swine flu, and maybe I'll just pee all over your counters because it hurts so god damned much."

But yeah, they'll say that but they should've found a way to work you in to the schedule and they can cry and bicker all they want, you don't fuck around with people's health. Especially since they do the procedures and accept the insurance. Pee in a cup and we'll write you a prescription is all that needs to be done.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

You are right at onset it shouldn't be a problem to wait, however if it is possible to have a UTI treated immediatly there is no reason to wait. I've seen UTI's go from benign to very very serious in a couple of days, and though this is rare when there is immediate treatment around why the hell take a chance?

To be fair I thought it had been going on for more then a week, which would make if far more likely to get serious.

Troy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Troy wrote: »

You are right at onset it shouldn't be a problem to wait, however if it is possible to have a UTI treated immediatly there is no reason to wait. I've seen UTI's go from benign to very very serious in a couple of days, and though this is rare when there is immediate treatment around why the hell take a chance?

To be fair I thought it had been going on for more then a week, which would make if far more likely to get serious.

oh man, if it was a week, i'd feel real bad for the girl.
    they are the most awful things.

beavotron on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    While UTIs are pretty common for women, depending on how bad you get it and what your tolerances are they can make doing anything nearly impossible from the discomfort.

Cranberry supplements are a good way to avoid having to drink cranberry straight up (unless she likes it). As some people have said, have her keep flushing her system with a lot of water. If she's drinking a ton of it she might want to swap in some sports drinks too so the fluids don't make her feel too sick.

Make sure she goes to the bathroom every time she feels like she has to. The goal is for her to have liquid to pee with whenever she feels like she's got to.

I'm not sure if she could get some over the counter, but sometimes you can get a doctor or a nurse to give you medication that's a local anesthesia for your urinary tract which would hold her over until she can really see a doctor to get the antibiotics.

Some funky ways to provide temporary relief (effectiveness may vary) is to wash the area with hot water and soap, or to numb the area with a vibrator if she's got one. This is pretty much only if it's really bad and I don't know if it'll work for everyone...I just got stuck with one for a prolonged time ("we can't fit you in until next week, oh, now that you're here and your period has started you'll just have to suck it up") and at that point I was willing to try almost anything.

It's really important that if she starts flushing her system with liquids and cranberry and starts to feel a little better that she keeps doing it instead of stopping. As soon as she stops she's going to feel like crap a few hours later, and the relief from flushing takes a few hours to kick in. Before she goes to bed she should be drinking a ton of water/sports drink/cranberry juice so that she wakes up having to go. When she wakes up having to go, she should be drinking a ton of it again before she goes back to sleep, otherwise when she wakes up in the morning it'll suck again.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    In your defense, that's usually par the course for people asking for advice. I'm glad her doctors office put aside their retarded bullshit to do a 10 minute test.

"My limb is gangrenous, should I go to the hospital or lop it off myself?"

bowen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    In your defense, that's usually par the course for people asking for advice. I'm glad her doctors office put aside their retarded bullshit to do a 10 minute test.

"My limb is gangrenous, should I go to the hospital or lop it off myself?"

you are comparing something as life threatening as gangrene to something completely common and mild.

it's like saying "this guy in front of me has a severed arm, but for the love of god, see me first, i have a fucking head cold"

i really don't think you understand what a uti is.
    the real problem for probably 99% of women is that it's annoying, and sometimes somewhat painful.
    mostly just really fucking annoying.
    true some women get severe symptoms
    but if you start gushing blood like alyce did, you should really go to emergency room anyways
    if you just have regular uti symptoms, one day will not kill you.

imagine feeling like you really have to pee, but when you go to pee nothing comes out
    i cried i got so frustrated the first time i had one.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, The peeing part is probably the worst part of the whole thing. You just end up sitting on the pot waiting to go because oh my god you feel like you REALLY gotta go. ...however barely anything comes out, and there is absolutely no relief.

awful awful awful.

UTIs are common, and mild, and it won't kill her to wait a day or so to go to the doctors. The severity of the infection I had was quite rare, and if your GF isn't urinating blood, then I wouldn't worry. Once she gets to the doctors, she'll be good in no time.

Also, if you use over the counter things like Uristat, or whatever, her pee will turn BRIGHT orange. I was horrified at first, and then I read the box and it states that that will happen.

It's actually kind of cool.

AlyceInWonderland on